A funny article

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

Skander

Re: A funny article

Post by Skander » Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:36 am

mbasic wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:09 am
mgil wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:08 pm https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/i-j ... red-pilled

The above was sent to me from an old acquaintance from the SS forum days. Someone I’d actually met in person at an actual gym.

Anyhow, the article is a few years too late, and while it’s a bit hyperbolic, there’s a lot of truth to it as well.
CheekiBreekiFitness wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:14 pm I think it's just missing the misogyny ....
that was some funny shit.

mostly, the article is talking about online culture, marketing, social media, branding, politicizing, physical fitness....

....but when this crap is in your face at the actual globo gym its truly sad and annoying..
There was a grumpy old powerlifter (redundant?) who trained a couple of people at my old commercial gym. He brought a Bluetooth speaker to play a shitty Spotify list (not premium so it even had ads) that was mostly scream metal, but had random rants and shit. I think a couple from Louie but also yeah creepy ass Viking warrior shit.

I learned to never forget my own headphones, though it was hard to drown that crap out

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Post by BostonRugger » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:02 am

CheekiBreekiFitness wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:35 am @BostonRugger I would love to learn more about the right wing bodybuilding bozos. It sounds entertaining.

I'm a right winger so in many ways I'm sympathetic to these fellas, but their fitness and nutrition advice involves a lot of "slonking" raw eggs, raw milk, get some chickens (w price of eggs I'm considering this). Lots and lots about toxins and natural hormone optimizaiton and seed oils and on and on. Training wise, there are some guys w modern approaches and others who like old school stuff by Vince Garonda or whoever. I'm not sure but I think the most well known example is a guy who goes by "Raw Egg Nationalist" on twitter. It's a funny little niche internet microculture.

I didn't see that @5hout had linked to something on Josh Rainer. If I remember correctly he used to be acquainted/associated with BBM, but is now in this realm of the lifestyle right wing that focuses on fitness/nutrition (rwbb schizo adjacent if you will).

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:05 am

BostonRugger wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:02 am
CheekiBreekiFitness wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:35 am @BostonRugger I would love to learn more about the right wing bodybuilding bozos. It sounds entertaining.

I'm a right winger so in many ways I'm sympathetic to these fellas, but their fitness and nutrition advice involves a lot of "slonking" raw eggs, raw milk, get some chickens (w price of eggs I'm considering this). Lots and lots about toxins and natural hormone optimizaiton and seed oils and on and on. Training wise, there are some guys w modern approaches and others who like old school stuff by Vince Garonda or whoever. I'm not sure but I think the most well known example is a guy who goes by "Raw Egg Nationalist" on twitter. It's a funny little niche internet microculture.

I didn't see that @5hout had linked to something on Josh Rainer. If I remember correctly he used to be acquainted/associated with BBM, but is now in this realm of the lifestyle right wing that focuses on fitness/nutrition (rwbb schizo adjacent if you will).
This seems to me to be the gray zone where right wing and left wing overlap, honestly. I find myself sympathizing with many points like avoiding seed oils, plastics - especially heating plastic, avoiding GMO stuff, etc.. I just don't really go for the eating raw stuff or being too militant about it. But I could see owning some chickens....

hector

Post by hector » Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:15 pm

Hardartery wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:05 am

This seems to me to be the gray zone where right wing and left wing overlap, honestly. I find myself sympathizing with many points like avoiding seed oils, plastics - especially heating plastic, avoiding GMO stuff, etc.. I just don't really go for the eating raw stuff or being too militant about it. But I could see owning some chickens....
There’s not only overlap between left and right, there’s also a reshuffling in progress between left and right.

Being anti-war, pro-immigrant, pro organic, and distrustful of pharmaceutical companies that kept getting caught committing massive fraud used to be left-wing positions.

Now, not so much.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:30 am

hector wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:15 pm
Hardartery wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:05 am

There’s not only overlap between left and right, there’s also a reshuffling in progress between left and right.

Being anti-war, pro-immigrant, pro organic, and distrustful of pharmaceutical companies that kept getting caught committing massive fraud used to be left-wing positions.

Now, not so much.
Personally, I find myself agreeing with some positions of both sides, and repelled by many positions of both sides. And I find Fox and MSNBC equally repellant.

CheekiBreekiFitness

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:34 am

Your post sent me down a rabbit hole. Holy shit these people are crazy I'd agree with one thing: eating eggs is good (I usually eat 5 to 10 eggs a day). But the rest is crazy:
- eating raw eggs is a good way to increase your daily intake of salmonella
- raw milk is full of E Coli aka cow poop substance
- tanning your "special areas" might actually result in damage to those sensitive areas
- what's wrong with seed oils ?

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:36 am

CheekiBreekiFitness wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:34 am

Your post sent me down a rabbit hole. Holy shit these people are crazy I'd agree with one thing: eating eggs is good (I usually eat 5 to 10 eggs a day). But the rest is crazy:
- tanning your "special areas" might actually result in damage to those sensitive areas
I'm with you on the first three. Seed oils are incredibly processed, not necessarily bad on it's own but the things they use to process them are prtty awful and still in the seed oils to some extent. They also are the least healthy form of fat in existence, originally meant to replace all those awful naturally ocurring fats that we didn't eat for years to have better heart health. You know, the ones that are in no way bad for your heart. There are some non-lunatic things discussing how awful they actually are for us.

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:39 pm

CheekiBreekiFitness wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:34 am I usually eat 5 to 10 eggs a day
RIP your food budget.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:08 pm

omaniphil wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:39 pm
CheekiBreekiFitness wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:34 am I usually eat 5 to 10 eggs a day
RIP your food budget.
What exactly are you guys paying for eggs? The price hasn't changed a cent where I am from 2 or 3 years ago.

CheekiBreekiFitness

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:35 pm

RIP your food budget.
Is that right ? I usually get a box of 20 eggs for about 4 euros. I always thought it was a reasonable price. How much do you guys spend on food ?

CheekiBreekiFitness

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:46 pm

Hardartery wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:36 am

I'm with you on the first three. Seed oils are incredibly processed, not necessarily bad on it's own but the things they use to process them are prtty awful and still in the seed oils to some extent. They also are the least healthy form of fat in existence, originally meant to replace all those awful naturally ocurring fats that we didn't eat for years to have better heart health. You know, the ones that are in no way bad for your heart. There are some non-lunatic things discussing how awful they actually are for us.
Oh sure I agree with you if we're talking about highly processed oil type of stuff. I almost never eat processed food. Now are things like sunflower oil really that bad ? I mean in slavic countries people have been using it for a long time. What about sesame oil ? Once again, the chinese, the japanese and the koreans have been eating a lot of it for a long time, and so far they seem to be doing OK. Also, I always thought that trans fats were the least healthy form of fat, not the fat contained in seed oils. Now, I'm no nutritionist so I don't claim to know a lot about this.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:26 pm

CheekiBreekiFitness wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:46 pm
Hardartery wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:36 am

Oh sure I agree with you if we're talking about highly processed oil type of stuff. I almost never eat processed food. Now are things like sunflower oil really that bad ? I mean in slavic countries people have been using it for a long time. What about sesame oil ? Once again, the chinese, the japanese and the koreans have been eating a lot of it for a long time, and so far they seem to be doing OK. Also, I always thought that trans fats were the least healthy form of fat, not the fat contained in seed oils. Now, I'm no nutritionist so I don't claim to know a lot about this.
I think that generally speaking what is being referenced is Canola (Rape) and other assorted cheap oils of that ilk, stuff from corn or rape or grape seeds etc.. I don't know if Sunflower falls into that category, it's what I prefer if I'm cooking something and I need the higher temp oil.

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:43 pm

CheekiBreekiFitness wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:35 pm Is that right ? I usually get a box of 20 eggs for about 4 euros. I always thought it was a reasonable price. How much do you guys spend on food ?
Family of 5 - wayyyy to much. We're probably in the $1000-$1200/month range on just groceries, that doesn't include eating out.
Hardartery wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:08 pm What exactly are you guys paying for eggs? The price hasn't changed a cent where I am from 2 or 3 years ago.
About 2 years ago, we were paying $1.5 USD for a dozen. Cheapest I saw at my local grocery store today was $5.50 for a dozen. If I had made a longer trip to the Aldi, which has the lowest price around, they'd have been about $4.00/dozen there.

My family of 5 go through about 10 eggs a day. The price is not objectively too high, and I'm thankful we can afford it, but the price increase has been felt quite acutely. My wife saw a Egg delivery truck on the road yesterday, and it made her think of one of those armored bank delivery trucks, carrying all the valuables inside.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:31 pm

omaniphil wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:43 pm
CheekiBreekiFitness wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:35 pm Is that right ? I usually get a box of 20 eggs for about 4 euros. I always thought it was a reasonable price. How much do you guys spend on food ?
Family of 5 - wayyyy to much. We're probably in the $1000-$1200/month range on just groceries, that doesn't include eating out.
Hardartery wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:08 pm What exactly are you guys paying for eggs? The price hasn't changed a cent where I am from 2 or 3 years ago.
About 2 years ago, we were paying $1.5 USD for a dozen. Cheapest I saw at my local grocery store today was $5.50 for a dozen. If I had made a longer trip to the Aldi, which has the lowest price around, they'd have been about $4.00/dozen there.

My family of 5 go through about 10 eggs a day. The price is not objectively too high, and I'm thankful we can afford it, but the price increase has been felt quite acutely. My wife saw a Egg delivery truck on the road yesterday, and it made her think of one of those armored bank delivery trucks, carrying all the valuables inside.
I'm paying the equivalent of $2.16 USD for 15 eggs, give or take, at the current conversion rate. 30 eggs runs a little under $4.00. Cheapest protein available, other than red beans.

Philbert

Post by Philbert » Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:31 am

CheekiBreekiFitness wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:35 pm
RIP your food budget.
Is that right ? I usually get a box of 20 eggs for about 4 euros. I always thought it was a reasonable price. How much do you guys spend on food ?
An avian flu outbreak wiped out the young chickens at a few major US suppliers a few months ago, so there is a severe shortage of laying age hens in the US right now. Aldi eggs 4.99/dozen last week, compared to $0.83 less than 2 years ago.

CheekiBreekiFitness

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:24 am

Philbert wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:31 am
CheekiBreekiFitness wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:35 pm
RIP your food budget.
An avian flu outbreak wiped out the young chickens at a few major US suppliers a few months ago, so there is a severe shortage of laying age hens in the US right now. Aldi eggs 4.99/dozen last week, compared to $0.83 less than 2 years ago.
That makes sense. So it's essentially a phenomenon that only occurred in America.

CheekiBreekiFitness

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:25 am

omaniphil wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:43 pm

I stopped going out to eat some years ago (I'll go to a restaurant maybe 2 times a month), and it's amazing the effect it can have on the finances. It's a money well.