A funny article

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

A funny article

Post by mgil » Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:08 pm

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/i-j ... red-pilled

The above was sent to me from an old acquaintance from the SS forum days. Someone I’d actually met in person at an actual gym.

Anyhow, the article is a few years too late, and while it’s a bit hyperbolic, there’s a lot of truth to it as well.

CheekiBreekiFitness

Re: A funny article

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:14 pm

This is hilarious.

And so many accurate observations:
- the middle aged dudes with beards
- the BJJ
- the carnivore diet
- the TRT
- the "Spartan" nonsense
- the "Primal" nonsense
- the "Tactical fitness" nonsense
- the covid complotism
I think it's just missing the misogyny and the firearms.

It's funny to think that the people who buy into this stuff think that all of the above makes them cool and hardcore and rebellious. When seen from the outside it looks pretty pathetic.

Skander

Post by Skander » Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:19 am

I'm still bemused that even Greg Everett who generally seems pretty chill and not all viking warrior, does some sort of "tactical games" thingy that's like the weird love child of Bud Jeffries, CrossFit and the military industrial complex.

Judging from the comments about Andrew Tate I see on IG comment threads, the crazy red pill lifting world is alive and well..

asdf

Post by asdf » Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:07 pm

Skander wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:19 am Greg Everett ... does some sort of "tactical games" thingy that's like the weird love child of Bud Jeffries, CrossFit and the military industrial complex.
wait wut?

Skander

Post by Skander » Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:27 pm

asdf wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:07 pm
Skander wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:19 am Greg Everett ... does some sort of "tactical games" thingy that's like the weird love child of Bud Jeffries, CrossFit and the military industrial complex.
wait wut?

It's like an obstacle course plus shooting plus CrossFit or something

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:13 pm

They forgot the alternative medicine stuff, which seems especially popular with CrossFit.

Not like, maybe-get-a-message-instead-of-taking-opioids-alternative-medicine. But like, REALLY alternative medicine.

CheekiBreekiFitness

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:10 am

broseph wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:13 pm They forgot the alternative medicine stuff, which seems especially popular with CrossFit.

Not like, maybe-get-a-message-instead-of-taking-opioids-alternative-medicine. But like, REALLY alternative medicine.
Like what ? Crystals and juice cleanses ? Now I'm kind of curious.

Also are Crossfiters still paleo-carnivore-primal-keto type of people or have they evolved towards something else ? I don't have Crossfit friends so I'm probably not up to date.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:54 am

CheekiBreekiFitness wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:10 am
broseph wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:13 pm They forgot the alternative medicine stuff, which seems especially popular with CrossFit.

Like what ? Crystals and juice cleanses ? Now I'm kind of curious.
I thought everyone knew about this stuff:

There is secret hidden knowledge that things like high fructose corn syrup and seed oils are literal poison. Also, gluten (obviously).

Cupping and theraguns can cure things. As can chiropractic. And essential oils.

Anti vax. Even the non Covid ones.
Also are Crossfiters still paleo-carnivore-primal-keto type of people or have they evolved towards something else ? I don't have Crossfit friends so I'm probably not up to date.
I think the official CF diet advice is something like “lots of meat and vegetables, some fruit and nuts.”

The actual CF-ers I know follow different fads all the time. Whole 30, carnivore, keto… while drinking lots of alcohol between the various diet challenges.

asdf

Post by asdf » Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:26 am

Skander wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:27 pm It's like an obstacle course plus shooting plus CrossFit or something
Thanks.

EggMcMuffin

Post by EggMcMuffin » Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:21 am

This is why I miss Justin Lascek. 70's Big was one of the only lifting blogs/sites that didn't have that weird tinge to it. There was tons of campy macho bullshit but that was part of the fun.

I have honestly checked out of lifting spaces online besides this place and the BBM group because the constant political signaling got exhausting. I remember when I was still in AYF all the chill people left and it got overrun with all the types this article is making fun of and I had to bail because it was just not an enjoyable place anymore.

As an aside, the fact that Greg Nuckols flair on his own subreddit is "The Big Bill Haywood of Lifting" is extremely amusing. Interesting fella.

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:34 am

I think the Bill Haywood reference is related to the podcast joke explanation on why he isn’t on the newest episodes. Trex is accusing Nuckols of being on a union strike.

Not a very pro-American Family Values thing to do…

5hout

Post by 5hout » Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:38 am

https://www.thefp.com/p/raw-milk
Just listen to Joshua Rainer.

“My eyes lit up—it’s like the truth hit me,” says Rainer, 32, a personal-trainer-turned-farmhand who moved from California to Colorado after going deep into the world of raw milk. Rainer had his first sip in 2013, after his boss at the Crossfit gym where he worked told him he had to go raw.

He did just that, going online and ordering several gallons of totally unmolested milk from a farm in Pennsylvania. A little more than a week later, a delivery truck deposited his first shipment, packed in glass jars, in the parking lot next to his gym.

Growing up, Rainer’s parents had fed him fat-free and skim milk from the store—“whatever was blue,” he says.

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:17 am

5hout wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:38 am https://www.thefp.com/p/raw-milk
From that same article:
So what about those cartons of Oatly and synthetic burgers?
“I’m completely against that stuff now,” says Hyder, whose new thing is “whole foods”—including sirloin, raw butter with Celtic sea salt, grass-fed raw milk cottage cheese, and raw milk.
Heaven forfend that he have his butter with Angle, Briton, or Saxon sea salt, to say nothing of the Himalayan variety.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:21 am

lol at that sea salt nonsense

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:09 am

mgil wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:08 pm https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/i-j ... red-pilled

The above was sent to me from an old acquaintance from the SS forum days. Someone I’d actually met in person at an actual gym.

Anyhow, the article is a few years too late, and while it’s a bit hyperbolic, there’s a lot of truth to it as well.
CheekiBreekiFitness wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:14 pm I think it's just missing the misogyny ....
that was some funny shit.

mostly, the article is talking about online culture, marketing, social media, branding, politicizing, physical fitness....

....but when this crap is in your face at the actual globo gym its truly sad and annoying.

I welcome/yearn for the days of muddling thru stupid insecure males trying to simply better their physical appearance to increase their chances (in their mind) to get laid. (this could be the misogyny cheeki mentioned, or not) I'd gladly take that shit over the current nonsense seen in gym culture.

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Post by BostonRugger » Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:44 am

Wait until he finds the right wing bodybuilding schizos.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:51 am

Also,

Its a weird dynamic.

Being that I am: white, male, kinda look-like-i-do-even-lift, and.... shaved bald head. I'm only missing an american flag patch, and/or a AR15 white rear-truck-window-sticker of some sort .....

'These People' will sort of assume you are one of their ilk, at the gym and all that, and start to go down some weird conversations with you.

dw

Post by dw » Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:30 am

BostonRugger wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:44 am Wait until he finds the right wing bodybuilding schizos.

I'm intrigued.

CheekiBreekiFitness

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:35 am

@BostonRugger I would love to learn more about the right wing bodybuilding bozos. It sounds entertaining.

CheekiBreekiFitness

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:38 am

5hout wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:38 am https://www.thefp.com/p/raw-milk
Just listen to Joshua Rainer.

“My eyes lit up—it’s like the truth hit me,” says Rainer, 32, a personal-trainer-turned-farmhand who moved from California to Colorado after going deep into the world of raw milk. Rainer had his first sip in 2013, after his boss at the Crossfit gym where he worked told him he had to go raw.

He did just that, going online and ordering several gallons of totally unmolested milk from a farm in Pennsylvania. A little more than a week later, a delivery truck deposited his first shipment, packed in glass jars, in the parking lot next to his gym.

Growing up, Rainer’s parents had fed him fat-free and skim milk from the store—“whatever was blue,” he says.
Joshua drinking his E-Coli laced milk in his mason jar, thinking that he's some kind nutritional Che Guevara.