J-hook recommendation

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

JimRiley

J-hook recommendation

Post by JimRiley » Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:54 pm

I have a Rogue R-3 rack with Rogue's J-hooks (a.k.a. J-cups), which stick out about 4.5" from the uprights. I'm looking for a shorter set of J-hooks to use for squats, as I'm trying to shorten the walkouts. (My balance is less than great, especially when walking backwards with a load.)

I've done some looking, but no strong candidate has emerged. Titan T-3 hooks look somewhat shorter than Rogue hooks in the picture, but the specs say their depth is 8", which is the same as the Rogue hooks. This page lists several possibilities under "Hooks for 2″ x 3″ frame size", and the ones that are currently available appear shorter than the Rogue hooks, but they all have decidedly mixed reviews.

So, question for the J-hook gods: is there a good R-3-compatible hook (2"x3", 5/8" pin) that just sticks out far enough to hold the bar, or at least not as far than Rogue's long hooks?

James

Re: J-hook recommendation

Post by James » Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:57 pm

Use a high grade bolt with a washer welded on to the length you want.

gtl

Post by gtl » Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:05 am

JimRiley wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:54 pm I have a Rogue R-3 rack with Rogue's J-hooks (a.k.a. J-cups), which stick out about 4.5" from the uprights. I'm looking for a shorter set of J-hooks to use for squats, as I'm trying to shorten the walkouts. (My balance is less than great, especially when walking backwards with a load.)

I've done some looking, but no strong candidate has emerged. Titan T-3 hooks look somewhat shorter than Rogue hooks in the picture, but the specs say their depth is 8", which is the same as the Rogue hooks. This page lists several possibilities under "Hooks for 2″ x 3″ frame size", and the ones that are currently available appear shorter than the Rogue hooks, but they all have decidedly mixed reviews.

So, question for the J-hook gods: is there a good R-3-compatible hook (2"x3", 5/8" pin) that just sticks out far enough to hold the bar, or at least not as far than Rogue's long hooks?
Honestly, for the price of new jhooks, you might just consider mono hook attachments.

JimRiley

Post by JimRiley » Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:54 pm

James wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:57 pm Use a high grade bolt with a washer welded on to the length you want.
Yeah, I may just do that, despite the resemblance to the Rip rack.
gtl wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:05 am Honestly, for the price of new jhooks, you might just consider mono hook attachments.
I've considered a monolift attachment, but my rack is bolted to the wall instead of the floor, and it looks like the bolts would interfere with the attachment. They could be moved, of course, but I'm inclined to try solution first.

Thanks for the suggestions, @James and @gtl.

SnakePlissken

Post by SnakePlissken » Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:26 am

JimRiley wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:54 pm I have a Rogue R-3 rack with Rogue's J-hooks (a.k.a. J-cups), which stick out about 4.5" from the uprights. I'm looking for a shorter set of J-hooks to use for squats, as I'm trying to shorten the walkouts. (My balance is less than great, especially when walking backwards with a load.)

If you need dimensions of the standard J-Hooks on Titan T-3 racks I can measure them when I get home today. Exactly what I have.

JimRiley

Post by JimRiley » Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:14 am

SnakePlissken wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:26 am

If you need dimensions of the standard J-Hooks on Titan T-3 racks I can measure them when I get home today. Exactly what I have.
Yes, please! Thank you for offering.

SnakePlissken

Post by SnakePlissken » Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:29 pm

JimRiley wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:14 am
SnakePlissken wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:26 am

Yes, please! Thank you for offering.
My titan hooks are 2x3" with a 5/8" pin as well. The flat section is 2-3/4" long but including the angled lip it's about 3-3/4" long overall.

Cleverusername

Post by Cleverusername » Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:45 pm

How about adding a 2x4 block onto your existing j cup to effectively shorten it?

JimRiley

Post by JimRiley » Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:29 pm

SnakePlissken wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:29 pm My titan hooks are 2x3" with a 5/8" pin as well. The flat section is 2-3/4" long but including the angled lip it's about 3-3/4" long overall.
Thanks, @SnakePlissken. That makes it about 3/4" shorter than the Rogue hooks, so not enough to make much difference. Much appreciated though!

JimRiley

Post by JimRiley » Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:47 pm

Cleverusername wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:45 pm How about adding a 2x4 block onto your existing j cup to effectively shorten it?
Capital idea, @Cleverusername, and thank you for suggesting it. I had thought about just rolling the bar out to the ends of the Rogue J-cups, which works great for benching, but dismissed that idea for squats because you need something to push the bar against when unracking. Like, y'know, blocks of wood!

SnakePlissken

Post by SnakePlissken » Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:56 am

JimRiley wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:29 pm
SnakePlissken wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:29 pm My titan hooks are 2x3" with a 5/8" pin as well. The flat section is 2-3/4" long but including the angled lip it's about 3-3/4" long overall.
Thanks, @SnakePlissken. That makes it about 3/4" shorter than the Rogue hooks, so not enough to make much difference. Much appreciated though!
Glad I could help!

Cleverusername

Post by Cleverusername » Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:56 pm

JimRiley wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:47 pm
Cleverusername wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:45 pm How about adding a 2x4 block onto your existing j cup to effectively shorten it?
Capital idea, @Cleverusername, and thank you for suggesting it. I had thought about just rolling the bar out to the ends of the Rogue J-cups, which works great for benching, but dismissed that idea for squats because you need something to push the bar against when unracking. Like, y'know, blocks of wood!
Hope it works out for you

JimRiley

Post by JimRiley » Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:28 pm

Cleverusername wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:56 pm
JimRiley wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:47 pm
Hope it works out for you
I think it will. I haven't implemented it yet, but squats are feeling better from just from thinking about it!

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:45 am

You may well be able to nix the issue by tweaking your walkout.

Are you setting yourself and bracing hard before you unrack? It can also help a lot to let the bar settle after unracking while holding your brace, taking a step back, waiting for a brief moment and then taking the second step back. Then you can relax a tad and retrace.

If you can reduce your walkout to two steps and stay tight throughout balance generally stops being an issue, and it saves you the cost of new J-hooks.

JimRiley

Post by JimRiley » Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:24 pm

MarkKO wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:45 am

You may well be able to nix the issue by tweaking your walkout.

Are you setting yourself and bracing hard before you unrack? It can also help a lot to let the bar settle after unracking while holding your brace, taking a step back, waiting for a brief moment and then taking the second step back. Then you can relax a tad and retrace.

If you can reduce your walkout to two steps and stay tight throughout balance generally stops being an issue, and it saves you the cost of new J-hooks.
Thanks for the suggestions, @MarkKO. (Also, big congratulations on your recent recovery!)

I do brace pretty hard under the bar before unracking it, but I'm probably shortchanging the part about letting it settle, so I'll make a point of that. As for the steps back, I've been taking two steps all along, but the tricky part for me is that moment when one foot is well behind the other. Lately I've been trying to mitigate that by making the two steps really short, which feels more secure but leaves me pretty close to the uprights - hence my wish for J-hooks that don't stick out so far. You've given me an idea though: maybe I could get a nice secure walkout, and still have plenty of room to squat without banging into the hooks, by taking four baby steps instead of two longer ones. I'll experiment some more...

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:46 pm

Well thank you @JimRiley it's a relief for sure.

The settle is often overlooked. It made a huge difference to me. You could also try taking one step straight back, then using two steps more to get each foot to the right position. That way you still get distance but cut out one step.