Hooper Videos

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

Hardartery

Hooper Videos

Post by Hardartery » Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:12 pm

If You guys haven't seen any of his recent uploads, all of the seminar videos are gold. Seriously. He is such a good technician, that is what is driving his performance not his raw strength. These are seriously better than anything else I have seen in many ways. There's one thing that he doesn't hit on in the Log Press video, but he hits everything so much better than any other video out there. The other seminar videos are at least as good. And they are all short.

GeoffBUK

Re: Hooper Videos

Post by GeoffBUK » Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:44 am

Is this the same dude I just watched beat Brian Shaw on the deadlift event at WSM heats? Mitchell Hooper?

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:36 am

GeoffBUK wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:44 am Is this the same dude I just watched beat Brian Shaw on the deadlift event at WSM heats? Mitchell Hooper?
Yes. Same dude, and his seminars are gold.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:51 pm

I am becoming a broken record, but he really is putting out some good stuff and he is right in the money.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Thu May 04, 2023 7:56 pm

If this keeps up it is the beginning of a real empire in the industry. Not just winning, but providing the best videos and training info. Not a surprise that Rogue has picked him up following the WSM win.

Zak

Post by Zak » Fri May 05, 2023 8:31 am

Thanks for posting those. Hooper's a good dude.

DCR

Post by DCR » Sun May 07, 2023 8:29 pm

Hardartery wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 7:56 pm

If this keeps up it is the beginning of a real empire in the industry. Not just winning, but providing the best videos and training info. Not a surprise that Rogue has picked him up following the WSM win.
What do we think of his thoughts on squat form, to wit:

1. Ideally vertical calves; and

2. A posterior pelvic tilt.

Clearly I have zero business questioning anything the dude has to say but:

1. That''s not what he's actually doing - what he seems to actually be doing is a combination of knees forward / stretching the hamstrings back, which makes sense to me. I squatted with a vertical calves for years after fucking my knees up, and found it much less than optimal despite how long I stuck with it out of fear of further innjury.

2. He's far from the first guy that I've seen reference a posterior pelvic tilt when squatting, or at the very least neutral hips, but I find both to be impossible. I just cannot squat without some anterior pelvic tilt. I'd love to see some expansion on this.

Clearwater47

Post by Clearwater47 » Mon May 08, 2023 8:10 am

I haven't watched the video, so hopefully I'm not saying something stupid in this context...

My take on it is that's it is, or should be, used within the context of 'a feeling' rather than an actually positioning. I use the posterior tilt cue myself and find it pretty helpful. In order to create that feeling, I have to flex my glutes and my abs at the same time which creates a tightness/tension I don't otherwise get. It doesn't literally create a posterior pelvic tilt when I'm squatting - it's just a method of initiating the tightness that's needed in those critical areas. Obviously each person will respond to cue's differently though, and this is probably one that isn't good for everyone.

The vertical calves, on the other hand, doesn't work for me at all. It just ends up with me doing a squat-morning. Again, different strokes for different folks.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Mon May 08, 2023 2:00 pm

Nobody has totally vertical calves, and pelvic tilt is what it is. I believe they are aspirational rather than literal, and I like that he takes pains to make the point that it's not for any reasons relating to knee health. The ideal is to maintain the bar in a direct line above the heel if possible, "Stacking the joints". Mid-foot is the realistic result for most, and the whole "Open the taint" thing from Coan is a cue for trying to get a neutral pelvis at the bottom. His knees do not come forward in the sense of anyone describing them as such, the length of your levers is going to be the limiting factor in hoe well how can achieve the "Ideal" of vertical shins and neutral pelvis. A short torso makes it pretty difficult, even with a high bar position. Long femurs make the pelvis position difficult. It's more about avoiding overt dominance of any particular group if you want a bigger squat number, as opposed to what you would do to maximize hypertrophic development of one part of the chain over another.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue May 23, 2023 10:20 am

Because, you know, why not?

DCR

Post by DCR » Tue May 23, 2023 7:16 pm

Thanks for sharing, @Hardartery. That was a fun watch.

OverheadDeadlifts

Post by OverheadDeadlifts » Wed May 24, 2023 5:48 am

Hardartery wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 10:20 am Because, you know, why not?

Matt Wenning made a big fuss about beating Platz’s record and seemed kinda salty when anybody pointed out that low bar wide stance out of a monolift isn’t totally comparable. Don’t get me wrong it was still insanely impressive but boy he can’t handle criticism.

Then Hooper beats it on a whim high bar out of a rack. Amazing.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Wed May 24, 2023 8:05 am

OverheadDeadlifts wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 5:48 am
Hardartery wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 10:20 am Because, you know, why not?

Matt Wenning made a big fuss about beating Platz’s record and seemed kinda salty when anybody pointed out that low bar wide stance out of a monolift isn’t totally comparable. Don’t get me wrong it was still insanely impressive but boy he can’t handle criticism.

Then Hooper beats it on a whim high bar out of a rack. Amazing.
The part that really blew me away was doing his DL work afterwards. He didn't really show it, but he did rep work with 340 kg on the Axle AFTER that. Damn dude.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Mon May 29, 2023 12:46 pm

Dude.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:23 pm

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:59 am

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:35 am

Yep.

James

Post by James » Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:48 pm

Oh wow someone actually gave decent rest times advice instead of some fake hard ass "you shouldn't need more than 90secs or your conditioning sucks" or some "as long as you need but not too long" non-answer.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:18 pm

James wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:48 pm Oh wow someone actually gave decent rest times advice instead of some fake hard ass "you shouldn't need more than 90secs or your conditioning sucks" or some "as long as you need but not too long" non-answer.
I didn't want to be the one to say it. :lol:

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:47 am

This is not my thing, and I have had a bigger arm than Hooper when competing so that says something about a bigger muscle is a stronger muscle. Anyway, for you guys that care about arm circumference: