Rippy and his sidekick Nicky explain why Western Civilization is doomed

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

SSJBartSimpson

Rippy and his sidekick Nicky explain why Western Civilization is doomed

Post by SSJBartSimpson » Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:47 pm

lolololol

SSJBartSimpson

Re: Rippy and his sidekick Nicky explain why Western Civilization is doomed

Post by SSJBartSimpson » Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:53 pm

I find it interesting that they present two reasons why not to wear masks. It restricts freedoms and they don't work.
So that begs the questions, if Rip could be convinced that they do work, would Rip support people voluntarily wearing them?

EggMcMuffin

Post by EggMcMuffin » Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:51 am

Has he gone racist yet? As a melanated individual that's all I'm really interested in, only because I find it grimly amusing.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:07 am

same ol' crap. Can't stand watching these idiots.
They're just making up excuses to be mad at the current situation/administration.

lol at "$1.89 gas enabled a whole lot of people to save money" ....

I don't like expensive gas as much as the next guy,
maybe "a very small minute portion of the US population .... saved a very tiny amount of money due to cheap(er) gas." in reality.

I think the mask thing is a joke personally, they don't work (very much...or at least as much as those pushing them would have you to believe).
But I think that is very least of our problems in this world/country.

=========================

Can we really talk about the decline of "Western Society"?

I think it will fueled by a population degrowth in US/Europe .... and same for the rest of the world at a later date/rate of decline.
Destabilization of economics ... etc

SnakePlissken

Post by SnakePlissken » Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:40 am

The one thing they get right is that this is a tale as old as time. Governments are corrupt, big surprise. They always have been and will continue to be, but they're also attacking the gas price thing as if the government is judge, jury and executioner over the situation when in reality that's corporatism controlling a limited resource that the world is saying they don't want anymore in 20 years. If I was the CEO of Exxon I wouldn't be "drill baby drill" I'd be asking "how much profit can we generate to make up for the zero demand from 2 years ago and keep our share holders happy with fat dividends with a product in decline."

Also this Nick dude literally said "we're about to elect Donald Trump again in 2024" lmao. I think that ship sailed man.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:54 am

mbasic wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:07 am same ol' crap. Can't stand watching these idiots.
They're just making up excuses to be mad at the current situation/administration.

lol at "$1.89 gas enabled a whole lot of people to save money" ....

I don't like expensive gas as much as the next guy,
maybe "a very small minute portion of the US population .... saved a very tiny amount of money due to cheap(er) gas." in reality.

I think the mask thing is a joke personally, they don't work (very much...or at least as much as those pushing them would have you to believe).

=========================

I think it will fueled by a population degrowth in US/Europe .... and same for the rest of the world at a later date/rate of decline.
Destabilization of economics ... etc
I did not watch the video and don't plan to. But, I was living and working in the US starting in 1992. Gas was 99 cents a gallon, and I was even getting it as low as 88 cents a gallon for a while until George W got elected. While he was president it shot up to that $1.89 figure, which no one was saving money at because it was literally double what anyone had been paying. Then it shot up higher for a while and went back down to around that $1.89 mark. The most screwed I got on fuel was with Republican presidents, and the worst economic disaster in the US in my adult life happened under Republican presidents. 2008 happened before Obama took office, and nothing wonderful happened during Trump's presidency. I'll pass on suffering the consequences of that inept buffon "Running" things again. I don't generally give a damn who is in office, but this insufferable selective memory and re-writing of recent history by people gets old fast.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:38 am

“Narrowcasting”

SSJBartSimpson

Post by SSJBartSimpson » Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:45 am

mbasic wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:07 am I think the mask thing is a joke personally, they don't work (very much...or at least as much as those pushing them would have you to believe).

So masks do work, but I think it's important to understand why they work in order to be comfortable with the fact that they are not perfect. They work because they lower the level of moisture particles that are spread when you breathe, which is when the virus is most potent and likely to infect others. Yes, not all virulent particles or moisture are prevented by wearing the mask, but it significantly reduces its spread. But taking the approach that Rip is taking that "masks don't work at all", is either an outright falsehood, or it's taking what I said in the last sentence and letting imperfect be the enemy of good.

hector

Post by hector » Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:10 am

SSJBartSimpson wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:45 am
mbasic wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:07 am I think the mask thing is a joke personally, they don't work (very much...or at least as much as those pushing them would have you to believe).

So masks do work, but I think it's important to understand why they work in order to be comfortable with the fact that they are not perfect. They work because they lower the level of moisture particles that are spread when you breathe, which is when the virus is most potent and likely to infect others. Yes, not all virulent particles or moisture are prevented by wearing the mask, but it significantly reduces its spread. But taking the approach that Rip is taking that "masks don't work at all", is either an outright falsehood, or it's taking what I said in the last sentence and letting imperfect be the enemy of good.
I just read that they’ve discovered the EV (something “vesicle”) cells in your nose (first responders to prevent bacteria/virus from getting in) function poorly once your nose gets cold.
When it is cold, masks keep your nose warm, and so actually protect you from infection.

Though this is not the scenario that either mask proponents or objectors are generally speaking to.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:17 am

hector wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:10 am I just read that they’ve discovered the EV (something “vesicle”) cells in your nose (first responders to prevent bacteria/virus from getting in) function poorly once your nose gets cold.
When it is cold, masks keep your nose warm, and so actually protect you from infection.

Though this is not the scenario that either mask proponents or objectors are generally speaking to.
interesting.

I guess anything then, such as the dreaded 'Gator' or bandana mask, would have the same effect (warming the nose) even tho its not an N95.

Although, I would think getting your nose cold would make your nose get snotty and run, which is what mine does when its as cool at 50F outside, and the muscous and whatnot would enhance what mucous is designed to do .... trap various bad things in the nose before it gets into your lungs so your immune system gets a "first look" at it in the nose.

Also, if say for instance, you having a hard time breathing thru a mask (because you a Standard 'Merican Sloth Slob) .... you'll probably be laboriously breathing in thru you're mouth and nose.

hector

Post by hector » Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:10 pm

mbasic wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:17 am
hector wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:10 am I just read that they’ve discovered the EV (something “vesicle”) cells in your nose (first responders to prevent bacteria/virus from getting in) function poorly once your nose gets cold.

interesting.

I guess anything then, such as the dreaded 'Gator' or bandana mask, would have the same effect (warming the nose) even tho its not an N95.

Although, I would think getting your nose cold would make your nose get snotty and run, which is what mine does when its as cool at 50F outside, and the muscous and whatnot would enhance what mucous is designed to do .... trap various bad things in the nose before it gets into your lungs so your immune system gets a "first look" at it in the nose.

Also, if say for instance, you having a hard time breathing thru a mask (because you a Standard 'Merican Sloth Slob) .... you'll probably be laboriously breathing in thru you're mouth and nose.
That’s a great point.
As the micro level protection (ev cells) fail, the macro level defense (increased mucus in nose) kicks in.
Yeah, any kind of covering should keep the nose warm.

asdf

Post by asdf » Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:22 pm

I haven't paid attention to the mask debate in a long time, so I just did a quick Google search: "do masks work"

What I saw were major medical centers, universities, and science journals all saying that masks do reduce the spread of COVID-19. Sources include Mayo, Nature, Stanford, Hopkins, McGill, UCSF, Science, PNAS, NIH.

Am I really supposed to second-guess these orgs? On what basis?

SSJBartSimpson

Post by SSJBartSimpson » Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:35 pm

mgil wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:38 am “Narrowcasting”
Haha there are probably a good chunk of people who get recommended the program, google it, and find this . :D

Cellist

Post by Cellist » Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:08 pm

mbasic wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:07 am same ol' crap. Can't stand watching these idiots.

The opportunity to really understand the importance of exponential function during the pandemic was totally missed by guys obsessed with size.

EggMcMuffin

Post by EggMcMuffin » Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:28 pm

Cellist wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:08 pm

The opportunity to really understand the importance of exponential function during the pandemic was totally missed by guys obsessed with size.
I find it impossible to believe there are no engineering or mathematics graduates in Rip's harem.

CheekiBreekiFitness

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:39 am

Do they still discuss lifting and nutrition sometimes ?

Or have they now become a politics / epidemiology / gender studies / firearms / self defence blog ?

Asking for a friend.

convergentsum

Post by convergentsum » Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:11 am

EggMcMuffin wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:28 pm
Cellist wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:08 pm

I find it impossible to believe there are no engineering or mathematics graduates in Rip's harem.
I expect there are a lot fewer than there used to be.

mouse

Post by mouse » Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:50 am

The fact that we are nearly three years on now and still doing the mask thing (debating why/if/how/when they work/do not work or announcing from the roof tops that we won't comply instead of just not fucking wearing it) is incredibly disheartening.

convergentsum

Post by convergentsum » Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:59 am

mouse wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:50 am The fact that we are nearly three years on now and still doing the mask thing (debating why/if/how/when they work/do not work or announcing from the roof tops that we won't comply instead of just not fucking wearing it) is incredibly disheartening.
Not in my opinion. "How effective is intervention x, if at all?" is always an interesting question, once you scrape the politics off it.

hector

Post by hector » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:45 pm

convergentsum wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:59 am
mouse wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:50 am The fact that we are nearly three years on now and still doing the mask thing (debating why/if/how/when they work/do not work or announcing from the roof tops that we won't comply instead of just not fucking wearing it) is incredibly disheartening.
Not in my opinion. "How effective is intervention x, if at all?" is always an interesting question, once you scrape the politics off it.
If you’re breathing Covid particles I don’t want you wearing a mask to mitigate their spread. I’d like you staying home.

I also don’t trust masks to do much. I do trust staying home.