Rippy and his sidekick Nicky explain why Western Civilization is doomed

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

convergentsum

Re: Rippy and his sidekick Nicky explain why Western Civilization is doomed

Post by convergentsum » Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:03 am

hector wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:45 pm
convergentsum wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:59 am
mouse wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:50 am The fact that we are nearly three years on now and still doing the mask thing (debating why/if/how/when they work/do not work or announcing from the roof tops that we won't comply instead of just not fucking wearing it) is incredibly disheartening.
Not in my opinion. "How effective is intervention x, if at all?" is always an interesting question, once you scrape the politics off it.
If you’re breathing Covid particles I don’t want you wearing a mask to mitigate their spread. I’d like you staying home.

I also don’t trust masks to do much. I do trust staying home.
That's grand, but surely you don't trust ill people to stay at home, still less the asymptomatic. The less effective measure which people actually follow (not that this condition applies to masking thanks to maga making a virtue-signal out of it) is more valuable than the measure which would work better but is routinely violated.

hector

Post by hector » Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:32 am

convergentsum wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:03 am
mouse wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:50 am The fact that we are nearly three years on now and still doing the mask thing (debating why/if/how/when they work/do not work or announcing from the roof tops that we won't comply instead of just not fucking wearing it) is incredibly disheartening.
Not in my opinion. "How effective is intervention x, if at all?" is always an interesting question, once you scrape the politics off it.
If you’re breathing Covid particles I don’t want you wearing a mask to mitigate their spread. I’d like you staying home.

That's grand, but surely you don't trust ill people to stay at home, still less the asymptomatic. The less effective measure which people actually follow (not that this condition applies to masking thanks to maga making a virtue-signal out of it) is more valuable than the measure which would work better but is routinely violated.
I went to the hospital last week. The security guard was wearing his mask in a way so that his nose was totally exposed.
I’m not the believer in masks “actually working” that you are.

CaptainAwesome

Post by CaptainAwesome » Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:08 pm

hector wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:32 am I went to the hospital last week. The security guard was wearing his mask in a way so that his nose was totally exposed.
Not to mention there are adverse effects to the things. They absolutely bump up heart rate and blood pressure a bit at rest. They present real problems if you try to wear them during strenuous activity. They're germ incubators themselves if you don't clean or replace them. They have become a giant source of non-degradable litter on top of that. It was fucking laughable when they actually expected people to do heavy squats/deads while wearing the things.

CheekiBreekiFitness

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:28 am

CaptainAwesome wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:08 pm
hector wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:32 am I went to the hospital last week. The security guard was wearing his mask in a way so that his nose was totally exposed.
Not to mention there are adverse effects to the things. They absolutely bump up heart rate and blood pressure a bit at rest. They present real problems if you try to wear them during strenuous activity. They're germ incubators themselves if you don't clean or replace them. They have become a giant source of non-degradable litter on top of that. It was fucking laughable when they actually expected people to do heavy squats/deads while wearing the things.
I remember repping out deadlifts with the mask on. Fun stuff.

convergentsum

Post by convergentsum » Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:10 am

hector wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:32 am

I went to the hospital last week. The security guard was wearing his mask in a way so that his nose was totally exposed.
You don't know my beliefs. I'm just saying that wearing a mask is (much) less of an imposition than isolating at home, which is a point so obvious & banal that it can only be political baggage that makes us treat it as if it were at all contentious.

hector

Post by hector » Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:13 am

convergentsum wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:10 am
hector wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:32 am

You don't know my beliefs. I'm just saying that wearing a mask is (much) less of an imposition than isolating at home, which is a point so obvious & banal that it can only be political baggage that makes us treat it as if it were at all contentious.
You’re absolutely right. My mistake. I don’t know your beliefs and shouldn’t have claimed to. I was typing quickly, response wasn’t thought out well.

I agree wearing a mask is less of an imposition than staying at home.
I also think there are real costs to pretend solutions. And that masks, when not properly and consistently used, are a pretend solution with real costs.
First there are the environmental costs, already mentioned.
Second, there are weird responses and incentives emerging. At my job recently there have been obviously sick people coming in, coughing, and wearing masks. Before the normal response would have been to stay home and telework, or, if they had to come in, to isolate in a corner somewhere. But now they’re enjoying total freedom of movement, I guess thinking it’s ok since they’re masked up.
Maybe assholes will be assholes, and those same people would exploit/abuse/disregard-others in any system. Idk.

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Post by BostonRugger » Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:50 am

I hadn't seen this. Incredible that Rip is unironically chud-meme posting.

"The West has fallen. Billions must die!" - Mark Spengler Rippetoe