What’s a Liver King, precious?

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

augeleven

What’s a Liver King, precious?

Post by augeleven » Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:17 pm

A lot of the different YouTube channels I consume are mentioning some guy named the liver king and how he is on the gear. I tried watching a liver king video for maybe a minute and noped out.

So I ask you:

Who is the liver king?
Why is he the liver king, as opposed to the kidney king or the spleen king?
Is there any reason at all to try to care?

I’ve had some beers, but I think I would need something stronger to watch a video of people cheering on somebody pulling a sled for an endurance distance.

Philbert

Re: What’s a Liver King, precious?

Post by Philbert » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:23 pm

A man who used his roided physique in over the top videos to hawk his line of dried liver supplements
because liver is readily available for human consumption in the US, making it more feasible to promote the consumption thereof
No

CheekiBreekiFitness

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:08 am

He's a fitness Youtuber. And like 97% of Youtube fitness, his content is unwatchable. Stay away.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:24 am

I thought (among other lies he's told) he said he only ate raw liver for a spell, like it was the majority of his diet was liver...

I think he promoted animal brains and bull testicles too.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:59 am

augeleven wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:17 pm A lot of the different YouTube channels I consume are mentioning some guy named the liver king and how he is on the gear. I tried watching a liver king video for maybe a minute and noped out.

So I ask you:

Who is the liver king?

I’ve had some beers, but I think I would need something stronger to watch a video of people cheering on somebody pulling a sled for an endurance distance.
He is also, apparently, business partners with a guy who recently made a video where he goes to a children's hospital and shames people for feeding their kids, at the children's hospital, fast food.

SnakePlissken

Post by SnakePlissken » Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:23 am

Heard about him on Rogan's podcast a few weeks ago and when I googled him during it I saw no pictures with a shirt on and immediately assumed he was cringe. Then 2 weeks later there's the fiasco with the emails and it comes to light the dude was taking over $10k in drugs a month, but is worth around $100M which is insane to me. Who the hell has sent him money? :lol:

CheekiBreekiFitness

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:27 am

Also, wouldn't the silly diet he's advocating increase the chances of getting Hypervitaminosis A ?

1 serving of liver of 150 kcal is about 400% of the daily recommended intake of vitamin A.

Now imagine some big dude eating 3000 kcal worth of liver.

It sounds pretty silly.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:04 am

augeleven wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:17 pm A lot of the different YouTube channels I consume are mentioning some guy named the liver king and how he is on the gear. I tried watching a liver king video for maybe a minute and noped out.

So I ask you:

Who is the liver king?

He chose to call himself the Liver King. It was a planned assault on Social Media, he has a media team and full staff, and had them before he even got going with the schtik, it was a plan to sell supplements which he does via 3 or 4 different supplement companies that he owns. He was wealthy before he did this, owning multiple dental practices and a medical device sales company. He was selling health via following something he calls "The Nine Ancestral Tenets", which is going to rope in a lot of sad little teenagers and 20 somethings looking for a solution to their frustrations and problems in life. And it did.

The only reason to care is egregious nature of the con. He was using $15 k of Growth Hormone a month, and a very large PED and peptide stack on top of that while preaching that you could be healthy and vital without any drugs by following his "Tenets". He also insisted very vocally from every platfor that he could find that he was natural. He also insisted that he didn't do blood work because it wasn't necessary and he felt great, while having blood work that showed he is actually killing himself.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:46 am

Part of me thinks there's always going to be people who want to be duped into believing a gimmick. Gotta believe in something, I guess?

Every once in a while, I go to the local farmer's market to restock my deep freezer. Most of the time I can't get liver from my favorite farmer, because some other dude shows up at opening time and buys all of it. He has the farmer(s) believing he eats it raw. I'll assume that my rival consumer was inspired by this liver king person.

I don't know whether it's sillier to believe the guy is indeed eating it raw, or to feel the need to go around telling people that you eat raw organ meats on a regular basis (unless you're being handsomely rewarded, like this king guy).

The cult of personality is alive and well, though, so no surprise that liver king guy is pretty well off. Hell, there's some irrelevant strength coach in northern Texas -- some "Cirrhosis King" -- who's got adult strangers calling him "Uncle."

People will pay for the illusion of good health, and lifestyle coaching is always going to be a lucrative sham.

dw

Post by dw » Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:04 am

Lol, are people really calling Rippetoe Uncle?

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:37 am

dw wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:04 am Lol, are people really calling Rippetoe Uncle?
Not to derail, but, yeah. Seen it in writing in a number of places. Even among the enthusiastic, some people are prone to go a little extra. Maybe there's free t-shirts or something in exchange for the excessive taint-suckling.

I only brought him up, because, upon hearing that the Liver King got busted, I wondered rhetorically (a) who was surprised by the revelations of his stack, and (b) who the fuck was paying to make this dude rich.

Then I thought of, uh, that other strength brand, and remembered that people will pay up as long as they believe in a ... thing.

I can't even be mad at ol' Brucie Kibbitz for coming to life and selling a liver-fuelled dream that people want to believe in. I just prefer to watch a hoax from the outside, if possible.

SnakePlissken

Post by SnakePlissken » Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:19 am

Renascent wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:46 am Part of me thinks there's always going to be people who want to be duped into believing a gimmick. Gotta believe in something, I guess?
I think the "American Mentality" is that you should be able to do something simple or easy to get great results with something. A lot of Americans rather take Lipitor than eat vegetables (discussion I've had with my doctor before) and it's a mentality that's starting to contaminate the planet at this point. Hence "Listen to these 9 tenants and you'll be jacked like me" is so popular to people that aren't in the know.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:08 pm

His 9 Ancestral Tenets are (in order):
Sleep. Which apparently means sleep on the floor wearing stupid glasses? (the leaked emails confirm he has shit sleep).
Eat. Tons of meat/fats, raw stuff, some liver every day. Lots of organ meats. Basically a standard raw meat diet/no vegetable fats or oils thing. (the leaked emails confirm he, trolololo, takes dextrose daily).
Move. He likes to do a lot of movement.

Ok, up until here it's pretty standard stuff. Now we get fun:

Shield. Protect yourself from evil stuff like plant/seed oils, too much screen time, too much EMF exposure. (We're getting there).
Connect. The Earth is slightly electrically negative and elevated beds, houses, shoes and cars we're not electrically connected (literally grounded) enough. So we need to ground ourselves (in the electrical sense) more often. (IMO, this is full blown lunacy).
Cold. Standard "take cold showers/cold shocks are good" stuff. (Ok, this one is pretty tame these days and I basically agree with it).
Sun. Our bodies require regular exposure to sun to work correctly. So go around shirtless, sun your balls and what not. (A lot of modern bro-science here, but in 50 years I'd bet "more sun/longer (especially in winter)" is seen as correct health advice vs "10m 3x a week is all you need and anything more is harmful".)
Fight. Seek out challenges and overcome them. (Pretty standard self help/lifting advice, his particular crazy spin is that once a week you should do an insane weighted cardio workout).
Bond. Connect to your friends/family, do no-device time, hug your kids/tell them you love them, eat together. (Ok, no real complaint here).

I'd rate the grift as a solid 5/9 (scored out of 9 in homage to the 9 Ancestral Tenets) (scoring 1 pt for Sleep, .5 pt for Eat, 1 for move, 0 for Shield, 0 for Connect, .75 for Sun, .75 for Fight, 1 for Bond). It's below pre-adult boyscouts Art of Manliness content, but probably tied or above post-adult boyscouts AoM stuff b/c at least it doesn't have the weird pseudo red-pillish connections manliness focus.

ETA: I'd also note he does the shit fake (but real) weight thing where he'll use a bunch of thick bumper plates that aren't 45s to make his lifts look HUGE even when they don't need bumpers and he has crazy money so it's purely for the looks. Then not post how much the bar actually had on it, so that cretins looking at him think he's benching north of 400 for reps.

hector

Post by hector » Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:21 pm

Renascent wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:37 am
dw wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:04 am Lol, are people really calling Rippetoe Uncle?
Not to derail, but, yeah. Seen it in writing in a number of places. Even among the enthusiastic, some people are prone to go a little extra. Maybe there's free t-shirts or something in exchange for the excessive taint-suckling.

I only brought him up, because, upon hearing that the Liver King got busted, I wondered rhetorically (a) who was surprised by the revelations of his stack, and (b) who the fuck was paying to make this dude rich.

Then I thought of, uh, that other strength brand, and remembered that people will pay up as long as they believe in a ... thing.

I can't even be mad at ol' Brucie Kibbitz for coming to life and selling a liver-fuelled dream that people want to believe in. I just prefer to watch a hoax from the outside, if possible.
Ironic: Rip is telling people to take steroids. And he is out of shape. Liver King told people they don't need steroids. And he is jacked AF.

Skander

Post by Skander » Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:41 pm

CheekiBreekiFitness wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:27 am Also, wouldn't the silly diet he's advocating increase the chances of getting Hypervitaminosis A ?

1 serving of liver of 150 kcal is about 400% of the daily recommended intake of vitamin A.

It sounds pretty silly.
Actually maybe that explains his vibrant hue.

My mom actually got vitamin a overdose from snacking on carrots. She did turn quite orange. It was also not much fun for her health at all.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:36 pm

Hardartery wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:04 am

So I ask you:

Who is the liver king?

He chose to call himself the Liver King. It was a planned assault on Social Media, he has a media team and full staff, and had them before he even got going with the schtik, it was a plan to sell supplements which he does via 3 or 4 different supplement companies that he owns. He was wealthy before he did this, owning multiple dental practices and a medical device sales company. He was selling health via following something he calls "The Nine Ancestral Tenets", which is going to rope in a lot of sad little teenagers and 20 somethings looking for a solution to their frustrations and problems in life. And it did.

The only reason to care is egregious nature of the con. He was using $15 k of Growth Hormone a month, and a very large PED and peptide stack on top of that while preaching that you could be healthy and vital without any drugs by following his "Tenets". He also insisted very vocally from every platfor that he could find that he was natural. He also insisted that he didn't do blood work because it wasn't necessary and he felt great, while having blood work that showed he is actually killing himself.
Good assessment.

SnakePlissken

Post by SnakePlissken » Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:56 am

Skander wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:41 pm
CheekiBreekiFitness wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:27 am Also, wouldn't the silly diet he's advocating increase the chances of getting Hypervitaminosis A ?

It sounds pretty silly.
Actually maybe that explains his vibrant hue.

My mom actually got vitamin a overdose from snacking on carrots. She did turn quite orange. It was also not much fun for her health at all.
Turning orange isn't an overdose though. Vitamin A in carrots is Beta Carotene and still needs to be broken down into retinol which you can't overdose on from carrots. You'd need to eat a lot of something like liver to do that since it's already retinol which you can overdose from.

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:33 am

“Fine, I’ll just stop listening to fitness podcasts”
*turns on Last Podcast in the Left*
“…did you hear about this Liver King guy?…”
lolwut

CheekiBreekiFitness

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:39 am

Another thing that I find troubling is that (according to some people) the (insane) amount of dat dere celltech he takes is comparable to what pro IFBB competitors. While he is jacked, his physique is nowhere near an IFBB competitor, this begs the question: does he train like an idiot ? is it just genetics ? fake celltech ?

I don't get it.

Skander

Post by Skander » Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:21 am

CheekiBreekiFitness wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:39 am Another thing that I find troubling is that (according to some people) the (insane) amount of dat dere celltech he takes is comparable to what pro IFBB competitors. While he is jacked, his physique is nowhere near an IFBB competitor, this begs the question: does he train like an idiot ? is it just genetics ? fake celltech ?

I don't get it.
I thought that's basically what the emails were saying, "I'm taking all this crap but it's not as effective as I want it to be"