Pillow Talk

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

LexAnderson
small whoopie mouse

Pillow Talk

Post by LexAnderson » Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:12 am

Holy shit, it has been so long since I’ve been on!

Anyways, I am in need of a new pillow!

Developing some progressive tightness and stiffness on the left side of my neck going down through the shoulder. I’m readjusting how I sit at my desk, direction/angle of my monitors and chair, all that good stuff. Now I’m addressing my sleep habits and I need a new pillow.

Anyone got any recommendations?

Renascent
Desperado

Re: Pillow Talk

Post by Renascent » Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:16 pm

LexAnderson wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:12 am Holy shit, it has been so long since I’ve been on!

Anyways, I am in need of a new pillow!

Developing some progressive tightness and stiffness on the left side of my neck going down through the shoulder. I’m readjusting how I sit at my desk, direction/angle of my monitors and chair, all that good stuff. Now I’m addressing my sleep habits and I need a new pillow.

Anyone got any recommendations?
Recommendation for the pillow itself? No.

But I keep hearing/reading about people eschewing the pillow under the head/neck altogether, and sleeping on their back with just a pillow under the knees instead.

Admittedly I've not worked up to actually trying this recommendation yet, though I did try sleeping on my back for a long spell, which sucked ass because I'm naturally a stomach sleeper.

JimRiley

Post by JimRiley » Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:10 pm

My wife and I switched to the Royal Hotel brand of pillows a year or so ago, and they're easily the most comfortable we've ever had. Historically we have quite different pillow preferences, but we've both been really happy with these. In the past I've usually gone for something considerably thinner, but the Royal Hotel is just so, well, pillowy that the extra thickness is no problem at all - even though they call ours medium firm. I'm both a back and a side sleeper, and these pillows are fine for me either way.

Here are a couple more little pillowing hacks (possibly too trivial to mention, but that never stops me):
If you're stuck with an overly thick pillow that doesn't compress nicely (i.e. the kind most hotels have), try putting your shoulders on it too.
If you don't have a pillow with you or just don't like what's available, roll up a towel and put it under the curve of your cervical spine. With a big enough towel, you can roll up just part of it and use the rest as padding under your head.

olekto

Post by olekto » Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:10 am

We just bought a couple of these pillows: https://www.purowool.com/en/our-product ... io-pillow/

I like quite flat pillows, at least when I lay on my back, and this is not as flat as I might have preferred. But close enough. Really nice when on my side.

They have both quilts and mattresses too, but not tried them.

EggMcMuffin

Post by EggMcMuffin » Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:39 pm

It's 900000 billion degrees year round in California and I quite like my buckwheat pillow. I've had it for a few years now and never had a problem. I primarily bought it because they don't heat up, but the buckwheat shells/hulls actually kind work like memory foam and conform to the shape of your head and neck. It's pretty comfortable I think.

KOTJ
Superstar

Post by KOTJ » Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:53 pm

Try some shit at Costco to experiment.

What do you wear to bed, and are you a light sleeper? Pics?

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:28 am

I have a 2-piece Casper pillow from Target that is fairly comfortable, but it does get warm in the summer months.