Eleiko Öppen collars

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

Cellist

Eleiko Öppen collars

Post by Cellist » Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:48 am

These look very nice:

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Re: Eleiko Öppen collars

Post by mgil » Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:25 am

They do look super nice. I don’t know if anyone here has them since they are far from cheap. One of the more recent collar specific threads was seeing if OSO knockoffs were okay…

bobmen10000

Post by bobmen10000 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:59 pm

They are a bitch to open. Each is exactly .25 kg, so basically calibrated quality, they fit tightly and stick to the cage as advertised. Stayed in place during deadlifts but have not used them a lot dropping to floor.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:23 pm

Pretty sure i saw @Skander with at least some that looked like these on his IG

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:49 pm

I have them. I love them. By far the best clip/collar I've ever used.

Skander

Post by Skander » Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:59 am

bobmen10000 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:59 pm They are a bitch to open. Each is exactly .25 kg, so basically calibrated quality, they fit tightly and stick to the cage as advertised. Stayed in place during deadlifts but have not used them a lot dropping to floor.
I've been meaning to write a review. Overall, I think outside of very specific use cases, they are not worth the money. Positives are the obvious ease of placing on the bar, and the magnets inside are nice for placing change outside the collars. They hold pretty well across Olympic sets up to the 120kg range (as high as I've gone).

Negatives are as mentioned by bob here- some of them are annoyingly hard to open, but it's inconsistent- one of mine is a huge pain to open, to the point where I keep a small stick around for that purpose. The other is better. I've heard enough things like this to conclude that the quality control is poor for $60 collars. The spring mechanism is also kind of intense, and so if you're not careful, the reverb of its action kind of bites your fingers, it's not pleasant. Until I figured out a way to minimize the danger, I was getting pretty reluctant to use them.

Overall, I'd say that I only recommend them for very specific circumstances (in my case, Olympic lifter with tight clearances on the sides, so these represent one less chance to scrape my fingers), otherwise just glue a magnet inside existing collars or something. Definitely not worth the money either.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:41 pm

A short video is worth 864 words:

Skander

Post by Skander » Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:21 am

Hanley wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:41 pm A short video is worth 864 words:

At I said, it seems to be inconsistent - one of mine works like your video. The other doesn't. I've posted about it in other places and heard the same thing. One guy bought a ton for his gym and says there were more difficult ones than easy ones and that most people just avoided them entirely. If you're lucky, they're fine, though I've still gotten my finger "bitten" by the easy one- might be why people stopped using them in that guy's gym. They both seem to hold equally well- I haven't noticed one side slipping more than the other.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:12 am

Another handy application (but not worth the cost for this only reason) would be if you were maxxing out capacity for fattish-bumper plates on a bar. Those collars are very thin, and grab well for their width. You could put them right end the end of the bar sleeve.

At my old globo, you could go up to like 450. I theorized you could do 500 if I had a super narrow collar of some sort. We had iron plates at the other end of the gym, so not a biggie. Some places (a lot of modern high schools now) only have bumpers tho.

bobmen10000

Post by bobmen10000 » Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:30 pm

Both of mine are very difficult to open. I was in the second group of orders that went out per their email offer, perhaps they have better q&a now. I actually assumed they were made to be a pain in the ass because of reasons...

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:23 am

Super happy with my new OSO CM-1s

Replaceable rubber inserts, and i got to choose the color of them.
Bought the inserts, 1 pack for each collar, and got 3 ships free.
The original OSOs lasted 5 years, and only because one of the rubber liners ended up having a flaw that exposed the adheisive did i have to replace them.

Skander

Post by Skander » Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:20 am

bobmen10000 wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:30 pm Both of mine are very difficult to open. I was in the second group of orders that went out per their email offer, perhaps they have better q&a now. I actually assumed they were made to be a pain in the ass because of reasons...
I got mine in December, so it seems like it's still an issue.

I'll have to test the "on the edge" thing. I'm not sure these would do better than the oso knockoffs I have, but I'll test that some day.