WSM 2022

Powerlifting, Olympic Weightlifting, Strongman, Highland Games

Moderator: Manveer

Hardartery

WSM 2022

Post by Hardartery » Thu May 26, 2022 7:29 am

It should have it's own thread.
So, Tom Stoltman is in the final, he has the points before the last qualifying group event. mitchell Hooper is on, as a rookie from nowhere dominating the group of death. Shaw may or may no make it. he's going to have to do athe Stone Off against Bobby Thompson if he hangs onto third in that group. Luke Stoltman is likely to win his group. Novikov is in, he's half a point from the same points as Tom Stoltman so he's on as soon as he touches the implement. Licis is going to go to the final as well.
Evan Singleton was out,medically, then he was back in ahving missed the Deadlift Ladder completely, won an event and then did terrible on the Log Press. Something is up with him. The token South American is doing predictably terrible. They post Gabriel Peña as being rom Mexico, which is funny.

Hardartery

Re: WSM 2022

Post by Hardartery » Thu May 26, 2022 5:35 pm

The 10 finalists are decided. Shaw made it via Stone Off, Bobby Thonpson needs to work on his Stones. Sucks a guy that strong struggles with the Stones. I think it's Licis or Novikov, although Hooper is putting on a show and then some. All three Canadians into the final, not something I expected to say.

mouse

Post by mouse » Fri May 27, 2022 2:10 am

Hardartery wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 5:35 pm The 10 finalists are decided. Shaw made it via Stone Off, Bobby Thonpson needs to work on his Stones. Sucks a guy that strong struggles with the Stones. I think it's Licis or Novikov, although Hooper is putting on a show and then some. All three Canadians into the final, not something I expected to say.
1) Bobby is citing his tacky for what happened on the stone

2) The stone-off is the single dumbest thing in all of strongman, and should be Thanos'd immediately...

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Fri May 27, 2022 12:52 pm

mouse wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:10 am
Hardartery wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 5:35 pm The 10 finalists are decided. Shaw made it via Stone Off, Bobby Thonpson needs to work on his Stones. Sucks a guy that strong struggles with the Stones. I think it's Licis or Novikov, although Hooper is putting on a show and then some. All three Canadians into the final, not something I expected to say.
1) Bobby is citing his tacky for what happened on the stone

2) The stone-off is the single dumbest thing in all of strongman, and should be Thanos'd immediately...
Tacky issues happen, but to get zero stones is a problem, and that seems to be a major weakness for him. Which sucks, it's a major event and the dude is a house.
I couldn't agree more about the stone-off. Like everyone doesn't get beat up enough at WSM, go ahead and throw in an extra CNS killer and give the first place guys an advantage going into finals. And I am saying that as someone good at Stones that would have probably benefited from that as an event when I was competing.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat May 28, 2022 1:31 pm

Hooper won the first event of the final, the medley. Dude is impressive. Novikov wins the Deadlift for reps, with 15, Mitchell got 13, Shae, Lcics and Hooper all at 12. Novikov is in first overall.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat May 28, 2022 4:27 pm

Novikov wins the Flintstone Lift. Wow. With a new WR. Tom Stoltman second, Licis third.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sat May 28, 2022 4:52 pm

Hardartery wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 4:27 pm Novikov wins the Flintstone Lift. Wow. With a new WR. Tom Stoltman second, Licis third.
What are the remaining events?

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat May 28, 2022 8:43 pm

Wilhelm wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 4:52 pm
Hardartery wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 4:27 pm Novikov wins the Flintstone Lift. Wow. With a new WR. Tom Stoltman second, Licis third.
What are the remaining events?
Not sure, I haven't looked. I know there's a Truck Pull tomorrow and there will be Stones done old school. The Stones start a ways from the platforms and get closer as they get heavier. I am unsure what else, but I know tomorrow's events are considered good for Tom Stoltman. But who knows? I doubt anyone would have predicted ovikov winning the Flinstone Lift.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sun May 29, 2022 9:32 am

Novikov wins the Bus Pull (I know I said Truck Pull earlier, it was a bus). Licis second, Tom third, Shaw 4th. I don't think Novikov is catchable this year.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sun May 29, 2022 10:24 am

Power Stairs are next up.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sun May 29, 2022 12:19 pm

Well....Novikov flubbed the Stairs. 6th place, Tom in second on the Stairs. That puts Tom in the lead going into the Stones. Probably going to be Stoltman winning, unfortunately.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sun May 29, 2022 2:44 pm

Stoltaman won WSM. Unfortunately.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sun May 29, 2022 11:20 pm

Hardartery wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 2:44 pm Stoltaman won WSM. Unfortunately.
Not a fan of Stoltman or just much prefer Novikov?

FWIW I have nothing against Stoltman but would have preferred Novikov to win myself.

GlasgowJock

Post by GlasgowJock » Sun May 29, 2022 11:49 pm

I'm obviously biased though good to see that Tom retained his title.

Looking forward to watching it all this xmas :lol:

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Mon May 30, 2022 8:36 am

GlasgowJock wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:49 pm I'm obviously biased though good to see that Tom retained his title.

@MarkKO
I would have preferred Luke over Tom, and Licis or Novikov over Tom. I like Novikov, I think in part because he resembles my nephew, but mostly he seems like a really good guy and he is a technician. He has a lot of disadvantages going in, and wins stuff anyway through dtermination and technique. I think Tom is where he is because of Luke and genetics, so I prefer others to win it. Not that I dislike Tom, I just prefer someone else get the overall. I have a very short list of pro Strongmen that I actually dislike, and Tom is not one of them.

SnakePlissken

Post by SnakePlissken » Mon May 30, 2022 8:39 am

GlasgowJock wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:49 pm I'm obviously biased though good to see that Tom retained his title.

There must've been some contract they signed saying they couldn't record the events this year because I remember youtubing all the popular strongman channels in 2021 and seeing the events the next day, but I can't find anything on youtube right now or maybe it's just too early?

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue May 31, 2022 3:42 am

Hardartery wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:43 pm I doubt anyone would have predicted ovikov winning the Flinstone Lift.
Predicted? Probably not but I was not surprised at all... dude is explosive as all hell so doing a behind the neck jerk? Yeah I figured his number would be gigantic...

Anyway

I'm an unashamed Licis fanboy so I obviously would have rather seen him get gold, but Novikov would have been a great feel-good story too...

I am also not super hot on Tom, and to be honest a Stoltman standing at the top this year is never not going to feel... a little weird hahaha

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue May 31, 2022 9:25 am

mouse wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 3:42 am
Hardartery wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:43 pm I doubt anyone would have predicted ovikov winning the Flinstone Lift.
Predicted? Probably not but I was not surprised at all... dude is explosive as all hell so doing a behind the neck jerk? Yeah I figured his number would be gigantic...

Anyway

I'm an unashamed Licis fanboy so I obviously would have rather seen him get gold, but Novikov would have been a great feel-good story too...

I am also not super hot on Tom, and to be honest a Stoltman standing at the top this year is never not going to feel... a little weird hahaha
I expected a good number, but given that there was no real rule on style, I expected a "Presser" to win, and he would place well. And as for winning the Bus Pull, no one expected that one either. I wonder if he was tricky there or just that determined. I know Ahola had a belt lined with lead for truck pulls, just to level the field regarding body weight.

acelticmonk

Post by acelticmonk » Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:21 pm

My almost-16-year-old son and I played hooky for a few days and attended the Thursday qualifiers and then Sat/Sun finals. It was son's first time at an event like this, and we both had a blast. I went in hoping for more magic from Brian Shaw and rooting big for Kevin Faires. Son went in looking to see who he'd love. He fast became a Martinis Licis fan (I mean what teen boy doesn't love a chant with a prominent f-bomb in it?? :lol: ) and he was rooting hard for Oleksii Novikov, who was amazing to watch.

And Mitchell Hooper was incredibly impressive in qualifying, and he'll go far.

The fans at WSM were predictably goofy.. mostly good natured. The athletes were almost universally easy to approach and talk to. We only really got minor-bigtimed by one guy, and one of the guys' girlfriends was ... awkward ... when I complemented the lifter on his work in the stone-off on Thursday. But we got a lot of autographs, and photos with much of the qualifying field.

My son was wearing an American roots themed trucker cap, and got the idea to have American lifters sign it. He got signatures from Brian Shaw, Trey Mitchell, Kevin Faires, Rob Kearney, as well as Alan Thrall. We didn't cross paths with Bobby Thompson on Thursday, and he wasn't really available in finals. (Seeing his tacky failure was heartbreaking). Even better, my son - SUPER introverted, p robably has some social anxiety - initiated conversations with the athletes and not a single guy was a dick to him. Worst that happened was guys who wanted to hurry up and finish signing so they could get back on TV. And a couple guys who said they couldn't sign anything now, they needed to go eat but would come back... they did.

My highlight was meeting and chatting with Big Z, but also having a brief chat with Brian Shaw, another with Kevin Faires, and a longer chat with Rob Kearney will be long term memories. And spending a bit of time in the Untamed booth with Alan Thrall, one of the nicest dudes you could ask for... I'm not a big autograph guy, but I asked Alan to sign an Untamed Strength shirt over my left shoulder, which I blew up powerlifting a few years ago. We chatted a bit about the relative injury risk for powerlifting (low, normally, except for me), mountain biking (higher, especially for me), and strongman/highland/etc.

WSM as an event is fun, but odd - the stone-off is dumb; the lack of streaming in the Year of our Lord 2022 is stupid; the shtick from the event producers was smarmy. The undercurrent of competing federations that dropped in 'the Luke Stoltman audio clip' was sleazy, but expected - it's something between boxing and WWE, after all. The virtual stench of gear in the air was obnoxious. Yet, the drama of seeing some of the present and former strongest men in the world was a thrill.

All in all, a super fun experience. We were on the railing to see the giants medley and car deadlift on Sat, and the bus pull and stones on Sun. We splurged for VIP tickets on Thursday - didn't have a great view, but being in the shade, having easy access to the porta potties, and having some of the athletes come mingle with us (Andy Black and Manuel Angulo were the first guys we met after Terry Hollands), that was pretty nice. =

Son, who's early in his LP now, is really excited to learn how to lift stones and so some other strongman stuff; we'll also start checking out local strongman and highland games events. We may go to the Arnold next year as fans.

Here are some of the photos we got with the athletes.

acelticmonk

Post by acelticmonk » Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:25 pm

SnakePlissken wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 8:39 am

There must've been some contract they signed saying they couldn't record the events this year because I remember youtubing all the popular strongman channels in 2021 and seeing the events the next day, but I can't find anything on youtube right now or maybe it's just too early?
Yeah, they recorded everything for a later broadcast. I think their Instagram feed said they'd broadcast in July. In previous years, it's been the following Christmas :rolleyes