Recipes and such

Moderator: d0uevenlift

Renascent
Desperado

Re: Food Prices and Diet Changes

Post by Renascent » Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:16 pm

mbasic wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:42 pm
Renascent wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:46 am
dw wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 9:03 pm Was there ever any health related argument in favor of organic meats?

For produce there's the matter herbicides and insecticides but I figured for meats it was all just about animal cruelty.
I don't remember exactly when I jumped on the organic meat train, or even the impetus for the conversion, but I do recall the little sticker graphics at the Whole Foods butcher's counter illustrating the circle of life and such.

If the cow's eating good, healthy grass, then the meat's going to benefit from the lack of artificial contaminants. And if the cow lives a relatively stress-free life in an invisible cage, then something something about the meat quality.

Good eatin' all around, or so they say.

Seems logical to me, even if the steward-of-the-earth ideal some of these large-scale processors are peddling seems a little heavy-handed (and dubious).

There's a difference between organic and grassfed.
Most of the health aspects from grass fed meat come from grass ...
"Organic" could still mean: eating mostly grain, and garbage, and no grass or green matter whatsoever.

I myself wouldn't mind A LITTLE BIT pesticides and/or SOME inorganic fertilizer use to grow GRASS and/or maintain pastures that a cow feeds on .... a cow that wouldn't be able to get the official 'Organic' label, but was completely grass fed. In fact, this is what "they" should be doing.
Would I prefer grassfed AND organic? Sure.

Likewise with chickens and eggs. They could be 'organic', but just fed organic certified commercially produced grain-mush, kept in boxes (instead of cages), and never see the light of day or eat a single bug.
So "organic" -- in the most generous sense -- is supposed to mean that the feed/grain/whatever they're feeding the animal is free of pesticides or "synthetic" growth boosters?

lheugh

Post by lheugh » Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:58 am

Subsequent to legislation, not only must "organic" foods be grown without the use of chemical pesticides, herbicides, or fertilizers and have verifiable records of their system of production, but 95% of their agricultural ingredients must also be organically-produced.

Brackish

Post by Brackish » Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:23 am

On the topic of organic meats - Contrary to popular beliefs, "organic" animals are less healthy and less comfortable than their non-organic peers. Example - cows commonly get bacterial infections of their hooves (don't know the exact name of the disease). It can be extremely painful as it progresses. A simple does of antibiotics will sort it out, but animals that are going to be sold as "organic" can't receive said antibiotics and still be sold at a premium. So, they are often not treated and live in pain until they have to be either culled or are slaughtered. The cruelty free stuff makes more sense to me, but I'm not on board with withholding medical care from animals.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:03 am

Brackish wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:23 am On the topic of organic meats - Contrary to popular beliefs, "organic" animals are less healthy and less comfortable than their non-organic peers. Example - cows commonly get bacterial infections of their hooves (don't know the exact name of the disease). It can be extremely painful as it progresses. A simple does of antibiotics will sort it out, but animals that are going to be sold as "organic" can't receive said antibiotics and still be sold at a premium. So, they are often not treated and live in pain until they have to be either culled or are slaughtered. The cruelty free stuff makes more sense to me, but I'm not on board with withholding medical care from animals.
Good example of what I was talking about^.
But I don't think its always that way (the bolded statement above doesn't hold true for all situations).
Non-organic globo-corporate cattle with suffer in other ways.

Another: you could be eating a non-organic or organic grain fed cow .... a cows' digestive tract isn't really made/evolved to eat a shit ton of grain, corn, corn stalks, starches woody material, etc. They are slowly rotting from the inside out from acidosis.
If they didn't harvest the cows, they would eventually die from eating the corn/grains.
In the video, I'm sure this is a non organic product; but same thing applies to an organic grain fed cow.

(start at 46:33 if the timestamp doesn't work)
/!\ CAUTION /!\
Video of a hole in a live cow.

Last edited by mbasic on Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:28 am

Renascent wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:16 pm So "organic" -- in the most generous sense -- is supposed to mean that the feed/grain/whatever they're feeding the animal is free of pesticides or "synthetic" growth boosters?
Yes. At least, that's what I understand. previously understood. So maybe I got this wrong.

Googling it as i respond here, the USDA has a more cheerful definition now (I believe it used to NOT be this way).

https://www.usda.gov/media/blog/2012/03 ... 20hormones.

As for organic meat, regulations require that animals are raised in living conditions accommodating their natural behaviors (like the ability to graze on pasture), fed 100% organic feed and forage, and not administered antibiotics or hormones.

So the first part of that statement sounds rosey, but looking how chickens are classed .... I don't trust what "raised in living conditions accommodating their natural behaviors" could mean ny the FDA.

Chickens could meet "free range" criteria legally, but still have a super dense animal-unit-per-square-foot (but outside).... and only be outside a fraction of the day to meet the standard .... and fed exclusively grain for instance.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:18 am

Going from secondhand memory, but the amount of hormones non-"organic" cows are given is apparently a small fraction of the amount a human's hormone profile changes during pregnancy.
Or something to that effect. My wife usually just laughs about "organic" beef.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:54 am

Here's a somewhat dated link discussing some of the issues with "organic" labeling. Of course, the person is biased, but since they actually had an organic cert (vs me, who once read some rules for one) I'm providing it as interesting content.

http://midlifefarmwife.blogspot.com/201 ... oodby.html

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:06 am

mbasic wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:03 am
Brackish wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:23 am On the topic of organic meats - Contrary to popular beliefs, "organic" animals are less healthy and less comfortable than their non-organic peers. Example - cows commonly get bacterial infections of their hooves (don't know the exact name of the disease). It can be extremely painful as it progresses. A simple does of antibiotics will sort it out, but animals that are going to be sold as "organic" can't receive said antibiotics and still be sold at a premium. So, they are often not treated and live in pain until they have to be either culled or are slaughtered. The cruelty free stuff makes more sense to me, but I'm not on board with withholding medical care from animals.
Another: you could be eating a non-organic or organic grain fed cow .... a cows' digestive tract isn't really made/evolved to eat a shit ton of grain, corn, corn stalks, starches woody material, etc. They are slowly rotting from the inside out from acidosis.
If they didn't harvest the cows, they would eventually die from eating the corn/grains.
Interesting.

Never heard of acidosis before. I need up my documentary game.

Culican

Post by Culican » Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:40 am

"Organic" is no guarantee that the food won't make you sick.

"The FDA, along with CDC, and state and local partners, is investigating a multistate outbreak of hepatitis Ainfections in the United States linked to fresh organic strawberries."
Outbreak Investigation of Hepatitis A Virus: Strawberries (May 2022)

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:59 am

Allentown wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:18 am Going from secondhand memory, but the amount of hormones non-"organic" cows are given is apparently a small fraction of the amount a human's hormone profile changes during pregnancy.
Or something to that effect. My wife usually just laughs about "organic" beef.
here

https://meatscience.org/docs/default-so ... =a9180b3_2
Based on these papers, if a prepubescent girl was to eat 453.6
g (1 lb) of meat a day and that meat was obtained from cattle
implanted at 10 times the manufacturer’s recommendation then
she would consume approximately 0.031 µg of testosterone
from that meat. That 0.031 µg of testosterone would be approximately 1/1000th of her daily production. Because the amount
of steroidal hormones that are ingested daily is minute in comparison to the amount produced naturally the effect of residue
increases due to implantation is insignificant.
But there are other problems too.
I guess a lot of the "tren" and etc. washes out through the cow's poo and urine, and runs off into the environment one way or another.
They've had streams near fed lots contaminated, and it affects fish their reproduction negatively, etc. Masculinized female fish.

alek

Post by alek » Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:55 am

Something that I've been enjoying lately is granola mixed into whole milk Greek yogurt. You get plenty of protein and fat from the yogurt, assuming you eat about a cup or more, and the granola is gonna have plenty of fiber and carbs, again assuming you get a granola made of whole grains like oats, nuts, and such. Maybe a couple bucks per "serving" depending on how large you make your bowl.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:12 am

alek wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:55 am Something that I've been enjoying lately is granola mixed into whole milk Greek yogurt. You get plenty of protein and fat from the yogurt, assuming you eat about a cup or more, and the granola is gonna have plenty of fiber and carbs, again assuming you get a granola made of whole grains like oats, nuts, and such. Maybe a couple bucks per "serving" depending on how large you make your bowl.
Kirkland fat free greek yogurt and quaker simply granola. Easy way to get in solid protein and lots of carbs. Add peanut butter for fats.

alek

Post by alek » Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:12 am

Allentown wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:12 am Add peanut butter for fats.
Hmm... haven't tried that. I sometimes like adding it to oatmeal though.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:25 am

alek wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:12 am
Just tried it for the first time last week, and I'm obsessed

alek

Post by alek » Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:31 am

Allentown wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:25 am
alek wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:12 am
Just tried it for the first time last week, and I'm obsessed
Okay, you've convinced me; I'm trying it in a few minutes.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:48 pm

Meijer (at least Bath Meijer) 2.35 buy 1 get 1 free 1 lbs 80 20 beef foam trays for a net price of 1.26 per lbs if you buy 2. Bought 8 and got 4 free. Worth a trip, but idk if Meijer wide so check local ads.

EggMcMuffin

Post by EggMcMuffin » Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:17 am

Who got the connect for poverty meal recipes

5hout

Post by 5hout » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:52 am

Anaphase wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:17 am Who got the connect for poverty meal recipes
https://www.reddit.com/r/Cheap_Meals/ is ok
What cooking tools do you have/what food storage do you have?

hector

Post by hector » Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:13 am

Anaphase wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:17 am Who got the connect for poverty meal recipes
My go-to meal now is beef(80/20)/turkey chili.

Super cheap. High protein. Can prepare lots at once. Lasts in refrigerator.

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:49 pm

Can't help with recipes, but if you need cheap protein, Costco's $5 rotisseries chickens can't be beat. We pick one of those up once a week, and serve it as a meal for my family of 5 with rice and grilled/baked veggies. Whole meal costs less than $10 probably at $2/person.