Podiatrists, yes/no? Quackery?

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

Oldandfat

Podiatrists, yes/no? Quackery?

Post by Oldandfat » Wed May 04, 2022 1:26 pm

Anyone have any experience? I’ve had heel pain for a bit. Long wait for a doctor so I was able to see a podiatrist.

Was assessed, measured, etc and he wants to sell me 550 inserts for my shoes. “Treat the cause not the symptoms”.

I,got a snake oil vibe after I left.

These guys are doctors right? Or are they more like chiro?

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Re: Podiatrists, yes/no? Quackery?

Post by aurelius » Wed May 04, 2022 1:38 pm

you can go to a running store and they have imagers and 3D printers that will make a custom insole for about $150.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Wed May 04, 2022 1:50 pm

Ehh...

Calf raises?

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Wed May 04, 2022 3:08 pm

Is it plantar fasciitis?

Stretches and strengthening usually resolve this. I’d recommend the guidance of a PT.

Regarding your question, it’s framed poorly. Is the podiatrist you consulted a quack? Possibly. Are all podiatrists quacks? Certainly not.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Wed May 04, 2022 3:28 pm

He didn’t say plantar fasciitis. He talked more about leg length differences, I’m slightly bow legged, measured,the gap between my shins, etc.

Tension in my glutes, and hips. He talked about proper footwear (new balance, saucony, and one other). Talked about timing laces (I usually don’t tie). Talked about stretching, and inserts to correct the problem.

All symptoms are PF.

wasn’t sure how to frame. This was my first visit ever. Don’t want to offend any podiatrists.

After holidays if it doesn’t resolve I’ll see a physical therapist and I’m the meantime do the plantar stretches and strengthening (seems counter intuitive?? Rest first?)

I also pull without shoes. I pulled Monday with shoes and there was no pain after. I’m guessing this is a factor. Plus I’m fat. Extra weight also a factor.

I’ve laced my shoes today and yesterday. Seems to be helping.

Sometimes hard to know who’s right and wrong. Each specialty will tell you the problem is exactly what they treat.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Wed May 04, 2022 4:21 pm

I had those symptoms in my late 20's. I stopped buying cheap shoes and started buying ones that actually fit my giant ass feet (New Balance I believe, by coincidence). The problem went away pretty quick. I pull barefoot as well as in generic Crocs, doesn't bother anything. I walk around in Skechers or New Balance unless I need dress shoes. I buy better quality dress shoes too, no issues. I don't know what you wear normally for shoes, but for me it was worth paying for decent shoes.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Wed May 04, 2022 4:57 pm

Hardartery wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 4:21 pm I had those symptoms in my late 20's. I stopped buying cheap shoes and started buying ones that actually fit my giant ass feet (New Balance I believe, by coincidence). The problem went away pretty quick. I pull barefoot as well as in generic Crocs, doesn't bother anything. I walk around in Skechers or New Balance unless I need dress shoes. I buy better quality dress shoes too, no issues. I don't know what you wear normally for shoes, but for me it was worth paying for decent shoes.
I wore new balance for decades. Ya know the “dad” or “white dude” new balance ? White with blue lettering. The model number always changes. Supposedly they are naturally a narrow heel, and wider toe box.

I just recently switched to sketchers. We do have a local store that custome fits. I may have a look.

The barefoot pulling was just an observation. Crocs look goofy but they are awesome

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Wed May 04, 2022 5:19 pm

Is it one foot that's the issue or both?

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Wed May 04, 2022 6:07 pm

Renascent wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 5:19 pm Is it one foot that's the issue or both?
Just the left foot. Started,out just “stiff” first thing in the morning. By the time I walked to the bedroom door, all good.

Then it progressed to “after sitting for a while”. A few steps and good to go.

Then it took longer and longer for the pain to go away. I took Advil/tylonol pain went away.

Stretching helps somewhat and since tying shoes it’s a bit better.

We have a local shoe store that has pedorthic services. They fit orthotics and footwear properly. I’m gonna go,check them out. Hopefully cheaper than 550

Philbert

Post by Philbert » Wed May 04, 2022 9:05 pm

Oldandfat wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:26 pm Anyone have any experience? I’ve had heel pain for a bit. Long wait for a doctor so I was able to see a podiatrist.

Was assessed, measured, etc and he wants to sell me 550 inserts for my shoes. “Treat the cause not the symptoms”.

In the US, podiatrists are doctors, with similar (but narrower) training to MDs. It sounds like either you have a very unusual case of PF, or the one you went to has prioritized a business model over actually diagnosing and treating patients.

Skander

Post by Skander » Thu May 05, 2022 4:49 am

I just want to give a shout out to supportive footwear helping sometimes. My whole family has crazy flat feet. At the start of the pandemic, I was at home more and walking barefoot. Hips and thigh were increasingly uncomfortable. Got some orthotic house shoes and better inserts for my main shoes and symptoms were much better very quickly. Don't know much about your current doc, but I do think fixing gait/walking issues can help other stuff.

My mom had a similar situation to you btw, where the doc suggested expensive inserts (I assume 550 is a price, not a model number), she bought them once, but later her local shoe store suggested something cheaper that worked just as well.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Thu May 05, 2022 6:05 am

Oldandfat wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 4:57 pm
Hardartery wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 4:21 pm I had those symptoms in my late 20's. I stopped buying cheap shoes and started buying ones that actually fit my giant ass feet (New Balance I believe, by coincidence). The problem went away pretty quick. I pull barefoot as well as in generic Crocs, doesn't bother anything. I walk around in Skechers or New Balance unless I need dress shoes. I buy better quality dress shoes too, no issues. I don't know what you wear normally for shoes, but for me it was worth paying for decent shoes.
I wore new balance for decades. Ya know the “dad” or “white dude” new balance ? White with blue lettering. The model number always changes. Supposedly they are naturally a narrow heel, and wider toe box.

I just recently switched to sketchers. We do have a local store that custome fits. I may have a look.

The barefoot pulling was just an observation. Crocs look goofy but they are awesome
Exactly. LOL. My wife hates white running shoes, so at some point I started buying them in colours instead of the white leather - although I preferred the leather for comfort and durability. Then Skechers started selling what they sell with room inside and gel. I worked construction, so I bought expensive boots too which is what I spent all day in for work for a long time. Until I started flipping houses and then I could wear shoes for a lot of the work. Pointless trivia, the higher the number the better the shoe, and the first digit tells you where it was made with New Balance. The ones that start with a 9 are the most expensive and supposedly made in the US.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Thu May 05, 2022 7:59 am

Philbert wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:05 pm
Oldandfat wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:26 pm Anyone have any experience? I’ve had heel pain for a bit. Long wait for a doctor so I was able to see a podiatrist.

In the US, podiatrists are doctors, with similar (but narrower) training to MDs. It sounds like either you have a very unusual case of PF, or the one you went to has prioritized a business model over actually diagnosing and treating patients.
Why would this be considered an "unusual" case, in your opinion? Would podiatrists not normally recommend inserts for PF, or is it the seeming lack of prescribed corrective exercises?

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Thu May 05, 2022 4:07 pm

I,was diagnosed, and “treated” by suggesting the 550 inserts. He did suggest I could try cheaper ones before his inserts.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Thu May 05, 2022 4:08 pm

Skander wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 4:49 am I just want to give a shout out to supportive footwear helping sometimes. My whole family has crazy flat feet. At the start of the pandemic, I was at home more and walking barefoot. Hips and thigh were increasingly uncomfortable. Got some orthotic house shoes and better inserts for my main shoes and symptoms were much better very quickly. Don't know much about your current doc, but I do think fixing gait/walking issues can help other stuff.

My mom had a similar situation to you btw, where the doc suggested expensive inserts (I assume 550 is a price, not a model number), she bought them once, but later her local shoe store suggested something cheaper that worked just as well.
I did start today wearing a new pair, and fully laced up. Big difference already.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Thu May 05, 2022 4:09 pm

Renascent wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 7:59 am

Why would this be considered an "unusual" case, in your opinion? Would podiatrists not normally recommend inserts for PF, or is it the seeming lack of prescribed corrective exercises?
My guy said I “could” go to PT and do stretches and what not, BUT it wasn’t fixing the cause (arches, alignment, support) just treating symptoms.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Thu May 05, 2022 5:28 pm

Oldandfat wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 4:09 pm

My guy said I “could” go to PT and do stretches and what not, BUT it wasn’t fixing the cause (arches, alignment, support) just treating symptoms.
Sounds like the cart before the horse.

Usually fallen arches and alignment issues are due to weak musculature and/or tendinopathy.

Philbert

Post by Philbert » Thu May 05, 2022 5:37 pm

Usually, healing this takes a combination of support, cushioning, rest, stretching, strengthening, and time. I noticed that it was never clarified if 550 is a model number or price in Canadian $. If it is the model number then my assessment was overly harsh. But my own experience with PF was agonizing morning heal pain-> Dr. google -> a contraption made of old socks, duct tape, and a bootlace-> complete recovery without any modification to footwear. And I agree with Mgil: weak arches are caused by poor arch support like obesity is caused by the seats being too small at McDonalds.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Thu May 05, 2022 6:33 pm

mgil wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 5:28 pm
Oldandfat wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 4:09 pm

Sounds like the cart before the horse.

Usually fallen arches and alignment issues are due to weak musculature and/or tendinopathy.
I was thinking the same thing upon reading what your guy said.

I've been navigating some shit of my own, with no medical background beyond what a layman can access via Dr. Google, but I think you might have your answer about whether or not ol' boy is some kinda quack.

If he feels that way about stretching and strengthening, then ... yeah. He might just be try'na sell you something.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Thu May 05, 2022 7:10 pm

Philbert wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 5:37 pm

Usually, healing this takes a combination of support, cushioning, rest, stretching, strengthening, and time. I noticed that it was never clarified if 550 is a model number or price in Canadian $. If it is the model number then my assessment was overly harsh. But my own experience with PF was agonizing morning heal pain-> Dr. google -> a contraption made of old socks, duct tape, and a bootlace-> complete recovery without any modification to footwear. And I agree with Mgil: weak arches are caused by poor arch support like obesity is caused by the seats being too small at McDonalds.
550.00 CDN is the total price including casting, custom molds, and follow up “support”.

Was unable to find your duct tape contraption but it sounds like something to “lift” the toes up while you stretch, and/or calf raise? (Am using a rolled up face towel)

Supposedly tight calves are a cause.