Abortion or the day Roe died

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

murphyreedus

Re: Abortion or the day Roe died

Post by murphyreedus » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:28 pm

Renascent wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:10 am
Someone always says it far better than I could.
I usually don't have the time (or the desire) to type out any kind of long, well-thought post quickly enough for it to still be relevant to the conversation, so it's mostly shameless drive-by posts and gifs for me. I don't know where some of you people find the energy.
murphyreedus wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:55 am Time to send some more money to the Satanic Temple.
Where do I sign up?
https://thesatanictemple.com/pages/donate

They also have a specific fund for reproductive rights:

https://thesatanictemple.com/collection ... l-aid-fund

Their response to the theocratic ruling:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0428/ ... 1656084849

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:49 pm

murphyreedus wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:28 pm
Renascent wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:10 am
Someone always says it far better than I could.
I usually don't have the time (or the desire) to type out any kind of long, well-thought post quickly enough for it to still be relevant to the conversation, so it's mostly shameless drive-by posts and gifs for me. I don't know where some of you people find the energy.
murphyreedus wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:55 am Time to send some more money to the Satanic Temple.
Where do I sign up?
https://thesatanictemple.com/pages/donate

They also have a specific fund for reproductive rights:

https://thesatanictemple.com/collection ... l-aid-fund

Their response to the theocratic ruling:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0428/ ... 1656084849
The Luciana Crest flag is pretty baller, but I had to buy the reproductive rights flag for the garage gym.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:07 pm

Allentown wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:49 pm The Luciana Crest flag is pretty baller, but I had to buy the reproductive rights flag for the garage gym.

I forgot that they even had flags, and now I must have one. I threw some hotsauce on the order too. Hopefully it's decent.

https://thesatanictemple.com/products/i ... -hot-sauce

GlasgowJock

Post by GlasgowJock » Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:09 am

To me it's not really a male vs female issue either. It's always seemed more of a religious/ theocratic argument from the majority rather than folk using 'science' to justify their stance on the matter.

Decisions made in mid-19th century Christian patriarchal USA that haven't been tempered with the anvil of time resonates more so.

As an ill thought out flippant remark, looks like your 'red' states are more content to abort teenagers with their gun laws than they are foetuses with their proposed/ perceived state abortion laws.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:58 am

Left field idea:

In an upcoming great power competition, both economic and military, typically the winner wins by having lots of citizens.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:45 am

mgil wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:58 am Left field idea:

In an upcoming great power competition, both economic and military, typically the winner wins by having lots of citizens.
So something like 80%?
Not so hot take- one party in our two party "democraric" system has gone full bore on trying to disenfranchise everyone who disagrees with them, and the other party has tried to be polite about it.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:53 am

GlasgowJock wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:09 amAs an ill thought out flippant remark, looks like your 'red' states are more content to abort teenagers with their gun laws than they are foetuses with their proposed/ perceived state abortion laws.
...Which really makes the whole "protection of life and liberty" shtick seem a little suspect, in my opinion.

Re: The Satanic Temple ... I kinda want to see what's happening with that coloring book.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:29 am

Renascent wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:53 am Re: The Satanic Temple ... I kinda want to see what's happening with that coloring book.
It says "8 page booklet for campaign." I almost tacked it on my t-shirt and membership card order but cheaped out.

More on topic; I have a tiny sliver of hope that this razor sharp revelation of power and aspirations from the extreme right will finally hurt enough to cause a widespread shift to the left.

I'm afraid though, that even a widespread shift won't actually change anything.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:44 am

broseph wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:29 am
Renascent wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:53 am Re: The Satanic Temple ... I kinda want to see what's happening with that coloring book.
It says "8 page booklet for campaign." I almost tacked it on my t-shirt and membership card order but cheaped out.

More on topic; I have a tiny sliver of hope that this razor sharp revelation of power and aspirations from the extreme right will finally hurt enough to cause a widespread shift to the left.

Strongly worded letter

Skander

Post by Skander » Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:33 am

Allentown wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:44 am
broseph wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:29 am

Strongly worded letter
With a call for fundraising

dw

Post by dw » Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:41 am

I thought this might be interesting for those who might want a firsthand glimpse of the mad ravings of a patriarchy-enslaved religious fanatic:

https://news.yahoo.com/woman-brought-do ... 13366.html

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:13 pm

dw wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:41 am I thought this might be interesting for those who might want a firsthand glimpse of the mad ravings of a patriarchy-enslaved religious fanatic:

https://news.yahoo.com/woman-brought-do ... 13366.html
Eh, she seems pretty run-of-the-mill, to be honest.

Even still, I'll wait with bated breath to see if she can get the ball rolling on overturning Buck v. Bell. Not that it's enforced in the modern day, to my knowledge, but it sure looks stupid sitting on the books in this age.

Then again, America (fuck yeah! kick ass!) never really bothered to get its feet wet with barbaric practices like compulsory sterilization for the promiscuous, the feeble-minded, and the dregs/Native Americans...

'Cause we didn't need to. A Graham cracker a day will keep the vapors away.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:11 pm

Allentown wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:45 amSo something like 80%?
Not so hot take- one party in our two party "democraric" system has gone full bore on trying to disenfranchise everyone who disagrees with them, and the other party has tried to be polite about it.
This is fundamentally what has gone 'wrong'. The Republicans have been waging an all out political war for the past 20 years. While Democrats have 'taken the high road'. Especially at the State level. The gross gerrymandering and voter suppression has all but ensured that States that vote Democratic in Statewide and national elections live with super majority Republican State legislatures. Who wants to bet that if Republicans win Congress plus White House they will end the filibuster in the Senate to pass a nation-wide abortion ban?

There are Constitutional remedies for a radical SCOTUS. Impeachment of Court members, reducing/enlarging membership (SCOTUS's first incarnation was 6 members), passing legislation dictating what SCOTUS can and can't do, passing legislation on how SCOTUS operates (such as requiring a 7 vote super majority to overturn precedent). SCOTUS post WW2 operated under the philosophy of judicial restraint and cultivated an apolitical image. Americans assumed this norm was simply how SCOTUS operated. This is no longer the case. SCOTUS has become a political arm of the Republican party. The Constitution gives the Democrats all the tools to clip SCOTUS's wings. It just has to use them. I'd start with passing legislation on ethics (Thomas needs to be removed immediately) with firm recusal rules. Add rules that limits SCOTUS's ability to overturn precedent as it did with Roe (the super majority rule). Threaten the Court with reduction or expansion (FDR did so and effectively clipped the Court's wings). This radical Court is drunk on power and needs to be reminded.

stuffedsuperdud

Post by stuffedsuperdud » Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:15 pm

GlasgowJock wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:09 amAs an ill thought out flippant remark, looks like your 'red' states are more content to abort teenagers with their gun laws than they are foetuses with their proposed/ perceived state abortion laws.
"If you're pre-term you're fine. If you're pre-school, you're fucked."

Goddamn do I wish George Carlin were around to see all his 1990's predictions coming to life at hyperspeed.

mgil wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:58 am Left field idea:

If this is out of left field then maybe I'm crazy too, as this was also actually my first thought, as my instagram-slacktivist friends lost their shit about patriarchy and misogyny 🙄. Things like patriarchy and misogyny are still forms of societal ideals, which I don't think our leaders actually have; as far as I care, they are too craven and nihilistic to pursue anything higher than raw domination of others by controlling the money and natural resources. If this means checking the cockbags in Beijing, I imagine an unwanted underclass born to impoverished women from red states will be handy at soaking up Chinese artillery without anyone missing them too badly. How coincidental is it that this is happening just as the other guys end their n-child policy?

Insert mandatory "we've always been at war with Eastasia" reference.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:34 pm

@stuffedsuperdud, unfortunately, yeah, I think that this notion isn’t too far removed from an actual strategy.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:53 pm

stuffedsuperdud wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:15 pmIf this is out of left field then maybe I'm crazy too, as this was also actually my first thought, as my instagram-slacktivist friends lost their shit about patriarchy and misogyny 🙄. Things like patriarchy and misogyny are still forms of societal ideals, which I don't think our leaders actually have; as far as I care, they are too craven and nihilistic to pursue anything higher than raw domination of others by controlling the money and natural resources. If this means checking the cockbags in Beijing, I imagine an unwanted underclass born to impoverished women from red states will be handy at soaking up Chinese artillery without anyone missing them too badly. How coincidental is it that this is happening just as the other guys end their n-child policy?
I'm not at all disagreeing with you, but -- if I'm understanding correctly -- you're suggesting that this is basically a national strategy to ensure enough pawns/proles for future economic wars against Chi-nuh? And we, as a nation, aren't necessarily worried about feeding or being able to sustain the extra numbers because, to be blunt, we don't need to?

And the legal/moral arguments for or against abortion are basically smokescreens for the populace to argue over something that's obstructing the real elephant in the room?

For what it's worth, I can agree that there's not some deliberate cabal of menfolk gathered around a table brainstorming how best to stick it to the womens just for tradition's sake. My use of the word "patriarchy" may have been a little too, uh, pointed (it carries enough established connotations that the "p" might as well be capitalized), which is a small point that I think @dw and I were disagreeing over.

But yeah, if the broader "we," collectively, are able to decide when to throw more coals in the baby-making ovens -- or when to put them on ice -- I still see that as inherently misogynistic in the case of birth control, if not "intentionally" so, though that's arguably neither here nor there.

And that kind of authority over reproductive rights as a whole doesn't gel with the national identity we've pretended to cultivate over two and a half centuries (and probably is no longer relevant, where global consequences are concerned).

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:04 pm

Not only do we need artillery fodder, we need labor and an expanding consumer base.

Publicly available information:

The USA has 4 naval shipyards. China has 13. Stuff like this isn’t fiction:

https://eurasiantimes.com/chinas-pla-na ... -year/?amp

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:24 pm

Hmm.

So, with exceptionalism being nothing more than a societal ideal, it's supposed to suck to be a prole, regardless of which continent you're on.

dw

Post by dw » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:40 pm

I agree that abortion regulation and more generally policies relating to encouraging or discouraging childbirth should be prudential in nature.

I have mentioned the example of the Soviets turning 180 degrees on divorce and abortion after their population was drastically reduced in WW2, despite Marxist doctrine being of course very liberal on these matters.

However I don't at all think that's what is happening here. For one thing why would Democrats and Republicans have such a drastic disagreement on the national demographic interest?

I think this is effectively a religious dispute between Christians and Progressives. The rank-and-file of these movements truly believe that it is self-evident that abortion is either murder or a sacred right.

BenM

Post by BenM » Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:17 pm

dw wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:40 pm I think this is effectively a religious dispute between Christians and Progressives. The rank-and-file of these movements truly believe that it is self-evident that abortion is either murder or a sacred right.
Well - I don't think that's where the moral debate really exists for most of us, but like so many other issues of these times, that's the way some choose to frame it.