Montana/Wyoming people :coming your way, what’s to do?

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

Oldandfat

Montana/Wyoming people :coming your way, what’s to do?

Post by Oldandfat » Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:37 pm

So it’s road trip time in may. This year we’re driving down to banff national park in Canada. Now that the borders are open instead of driving back through Canada we’d like to cross the border and drive back through the Us.

We’re thinking at least through Montana, and possibly further north through Wyoming continuing East, till about fargoish, and then back up north to our igloos and polar bears.

We’ve been to South Dakota, did Mount Rushmore, hiked the badlands, and saw some missle silos, and other cool stuff. The air base was neat. We’d like to go back that route but also are curious about Montana.

Just looking for some places of interest, things to do, etc. we like hiking, love awesome restaurants (think diners, drive ins, and dives, NOT chain restaurants) Museums, (supposedly some gun meuseum in Wyoming), and anything other ideas are welcomed.

Very much open to things off the beaten path (canoeing and hiking places that arent on tourist maps, etc).

Places only locals would know about, but at the same time not places that are “if we tell you we have to kill you”.

Every place on the map has those “hidden gems”.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Re: Montana/Wyoming people :coming your way, what’s to do?

Post by Hanley » Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:59 pm

Yellowstone, dude.

I'm assuming you'd be coming via 15 South. Take that to 90 east. Exit for Ennis, MT (pure rural Americana town set in a really pretty valley...I recommend eating on the outside deck of the Gravel Bar)...continue on to West Yellowstone (also a cute town).

Make your way to 14 east through Yellowstone National Park (plan for plenty of time in the park), then exit to Cody WY (neat little western town with cool restaurants/bars).

^ this plan depends on Route 14 being opened (it's closed in Winter).

###

If you fly fish, I'd fish the Madison too (some of the best trout fishing in the world ...it runs next to Ennis).

###

I also love the drive from Livingston, MT down to Gardiner, MT (you go through a beautiful valley called Paradise Valley). Then go into Yellowstone National Park through the Gardiner Entrance, then dick around in the Park and exit to Cody).

###

You could spend months in Yellowstone and never tire of the place (just avoid the touristy parts).

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:01 am

Hanley wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:59 pm Yellowstone, dude.

I'm assuming you'd be coming via 15 South. Take that to 90 east. Exit for Ennis, MT (pure rural Americana town set in a really pretty valley...I recommend eating on the outside deck of the Gravel Bar)...continue on to West Yellowstone (also a cute town).

Make your way to 14 east through Yellowstone National Park (plan for plenty of time in the park), then exit to Cody WY (neat little western town with cool restaurants/bars).

###

If you fly fish, I'd fish the Madison too (some of the best trout fishing in the world ...it runs next to Ennis).

###

I also love the drive from Livingston, MT down to Gardiner, MT (you go through a beautiful valley called Paradise Valley). Then go into Yellowstone National Park through the Gardiner Entrance, then dick around in the Park and exit to Cody).

###

You could spend months in Yellowstone and never tire of the place (just avoid the touristy parts).
Yup we’d be coming down #4 (turns into 15 once we cross border) from Lethbridge Alberta.

Sounds like Yellowstone (and park), and Cody is in order.

Thanks for the tips

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:31 am

@Hanley, isn’t that trip out to Cody when your Tundra stranded you the second time?

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:27 am

mgil wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:31 am @Hanley, isn’t that trip out to Cody when your Tundra stranded you the second time?
That fucking truck

Inverstone

Post by Inverstone » Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:25 am

IF you're interested in trains/RR History, etc. The Cheyenne Wyoming Union Station Museum is great. There are the largest steam locomotives ever created in their roundhouse/sheds if you're lucky enough to go when they have a tour or they are steamed up for display. The building itself is cool. Sadly "Shadow's Pub", used to be next door- who had one of the best steaks and brews I've ever had is now gone.

Absolutely do Yellowstone National Park! Spend at least 2-3 days there if you can but in one l-o-n-g day can still
see a lot. Yellowstone Canyon in particular is one of my favorite vistas on the planet. The lodges are a trip too for their log cathedral construction.

Cody area is interesting for sure, but given a choice between the 2, I'd go with Yellowstone. I've been back 3 or 4 times in the last 40 yrs. (2 on motorcycle tours) and wouldn't mind going back again.

GrainsAndGains

Post by GrainsAndGains » Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:59 am

Not a Montana/Wyoming person but I spent two weeks there a year and a half ago.

If you're looking for something off the beaten path, consider Lamar Valley. While it's a pretty popular area, it's definitely out of the way at the far northeast section of the park, and most people who are just seeing the popular geothermal features on the western side of the park will skip it. Wildlife viewing is excellent and there's lots of great hiking in the area as well. If you really want to get off the beaten path, any kind of backcountry camping is the best way to do it, no one does that shit, but that may not be the kind of trip you're looking for.

Coming in from the east entrance also puts you puts you pretty close to Hayden Valley, another great wildlife viewing area. When I was there we saw a grizzly who had literally drowned an elk guarding his kill from other bears and wolves a few days later, one of the coolest things I've ever seen. You're also really close to the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone, which is stunningly gorgeous.

The geothermal features are incredible, but those areas will be pretty crowded, even moreso than usual. You can try camping in the park and getting up early to beat the crowds, lodging in the park is insanely expensive.

wiigelec

Post by wiigelec » Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:46 am

If you want a gun museum I don’t think this can be easily beat:

https://centerofthewest.org/

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Sat May 14, 2022 6:25 pm

GrainsAndGains wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:59 am Not a Montana/Wyoming person but I spent two weeks there a year and a half ago.

If you're looking for something off the beaten path, consider Lamar Valley. While it's a pretty popular area, it's definitely out of the way at the far northeast section of the park, and most people who are just seeing the popular geothermal features on the western side of the park will skip it. Wildlife viewing is excellent and there's lots of great hiking in the area as well. If you really want to get off the beaten path, any kind of backcountry camping is the best way to do it, no one does that shit, but that may not be the kind of trip you're looking for.

Coming in from the east entrance also puts you puts you pretty close to Hayden Valley, another great wildlife viewing area. When I was there we saw a grizzly who had literally drowned an elk guarding his kill from other bears and wolves a few days later, one of the coolest things I've ever seen. You're also really close to the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone, which is stunningly gorgeous.

The geothermal features are incredible, but those areas will be pretty crowded, even moreso than usual. You can try camping in the park and getting up early to beat the crowds, lodging in the park is insanely expensive.
I’d love to camp Yellowstone. I can’t posses firearms in The us. In grizzly country I like to have my 45/70.

The Grand Canyon area sounds awesome.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Sat May 14, 2022 6:27 pm

###

###

###

We’re in Cody. Park for 3 days then going home through… gardener (to Bozeman) or to,Ennius? You said both drives are nice. If ya had to pick one?

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Sat May 14, 2022 6:30 pm

Ok peeps, in Cody and have 3 days for Yellowstone (3rd day will be spent in north west corner as that’s how we exit to get home.

Old faithful is a must. No hiking this trip due to heel issues. Mostly driving/sigh seeing. Love wildlife.

Was thinking faithful , then “Grand Canyon”. Not,sure as this is the first time. One,can spend one,day or 100 days in the park.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Sat May 14, 2022 8:12 pm

Oldandfat wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:27 pm

###

###

###

We’re in Cody. Park for 3 days then going home through… gardener (to Bozeman) or to,Ennius? You said both drives are nice. If ya had to pick one?
Eh. They're both really nice. Probably Gardiner to Bozeman. I really like Paradise Valley. Bozeman is an amazing place to live, but I don't think there's anything really destination-y here. Maybe stroll downtown and grad a burger at Montana Ale Works.

You should really try to get to Lamar Valley in Yellowstone. Old Faithful is certainly famous and impressive....but Lamar Valley will be way more interesting.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Sun May 15, 2022 6:33 am

Hanley wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:12 pm
Oldandfat wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:27 pm

###

###

###

Eh. They're both really nice. Probably Gardiner to Bozeman. I really like Paradise Valley. Bozeman is an amazing place to live, but I don't think there's anything really destination-y here. Maybe stroll downtown and grad a burger at Montana Ale Works.

You should really try to get to Lamar Valley in Yellowstone. Old Faithful is certainly famous and impressive....but Lamar Valley will be way more interesting.
Bozeman is a stay over simply due to logistics and travel. Plus Costco, and harbor freight.

Lamar valley and mammoth hot springs will be on our way home, as it’s the upper end of the park. We’re traveling through anyway so it makes sense.

Thinking old faithful and canyon road today, “whatever” tomorrow.

All depends on traffic flow, animal road blocks. It’s low season and all roads are open.

Everyone in Cody is telling us you can spend any where from “one day to forever” in Yellowstone. All depends what you want