Suicide in the Gym :(

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

mbasic

Re: Suicide in the Gym :(

Post by mbasic » Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:09 am

Hardartery wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:45 pm And, additionally, it's NOT 405, it's 4 plates on the bar. A Smith Machine is typically zero pounds of resistance by itself, or something very close to zero, the bar doesn't count in the calculation.
.... you discount the simple safeties exist at all, even though there's one there in plain sight, and then at the same time, you assume all of the more complex counter-balance-unweighting-the-bar cables, weights, pullies are still intact, hooked up and functioning, after educating us about mexico being akin to something like BarterTown, where a human life is worth two gold pieces, to make a point whether or not 405 or say ~350 pounds crushed the women's neck? Yes?

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:13 am

yep, that's it. Like I described and how I remember from being a gym rat years ago .....

You can see below how the safety hooks just lay over in the bottom position if you choose to disengage them in that way (instead of leaving them hooked on the very bottom position).

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:04 am

mbasic wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:09 am
Hardartery wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:45 pm And, additionally, it's NOT 405, it's 4 plates on the bar. A Smith Machine is typically zero pounds of resistance by itself, or something very close to zero, the bar doesn't count in the calculation.
.... you discount the simple safeties exist at all, even though there's one there in plain sight, and then at the same time, you assume all of the more complex counter-balance-unweighting-the-bar cables, weights, pullies are still intact, hooked up and functioning, after educating us about mexico being akin to something like BarterTown, where a human life is worth two gold pieces, to make a point whether or not 405 or say ~350 pounds crushed the women's neck? Yes?
I quoted an amount in dollars, so I don't know what this "Bartertown" gibberish is, I was making a simple statement regarding the lack of concern for getting sued in Latin America. In the US or Canada liability fears drive things like making sure that the safeties are there and function, and that people have signed a waiver before using the facility, and that there aren't randos or kids wandering around. Your screen cap does not show anything definitely, it could be a safety laying on the support or it could be painted black there or it could be a bit of the plastic protection stuff they glue to the equipment. By contrast, the counterbalance system is a more self contained thing that is actually difficult to screw with on these things even when disassembled. When you unbolt all of the parts at the assembly points that part stays together as a singular heavy unit. For reference, the gym up the street from me here has two of those Smith Machines (At least it did last time I was in there pre-Covid lockdown). One was clearly from a Planet Fitness and the other was standard white and I'm pretty sure it came from a Y in Miami - based on the identification plaques from that Y still being on the other matching equipment in the gym. Neither one of them has the safety hooks, but the rest of it functions the way it is supposed to more or less. And what the weight was is not relevant to the dead woman, true, but that doesn't mean we just inflate numbers to make thing more dramatic or something. You know perfectly well that it isn't 405, you've been around long enough to know that the Smith has counterweights, you just chose to go with the number in the posted Social Media capture which is incorrect. I was pointing out that the original poster was incorrect, and that we should not echo misinformation (Or "Alternate facts" if you prefer)

mouse

Post by mouse » Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:34 am

Hardartery wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:04 am You know perfectly well that it isn't 405, you've been around long enough to know that the Smith has counterweights, you just chose to go with the number in the posted Social Media capture which is incorrect. I was pointing out that the original poster was incorrect, and that we should not echo misinformation
So the ~405 number actually came from me... not the OP or social media... and having literally never trained in a commercial gym or used a Smith in the entirety of my training career (nope, not even once)... I actually didn't know about any counterbalance or negation of the actual bar weight...

That why I used a "~"... I saw eight 45's and assumed the bar weighed at least something because it is made of physical matter and just kind of put down an estimation based on my experiences for people who didn't want to watch.

I wasn't trying to inflate for dramatic effect or spread misinformation.

I thought we all operated under the code of "if I die lifting weights, add more weight and call for help" anyway.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:17 am

Acktually, could be kilo plates? no? because mexico. 20 or 25 kg plates? 397? 440? or those numbers minus the bar? .....

You better amend the complaint you file with the misinformation department.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:47 am

mouse wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:34 am
Hardartery wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:04 am You know perfectly well that it isn't 405, you've been around long enough to know that the Smith has counterweights, you just chose to go with the number in the posted Social Media capture which is incorrect. I was pointing out that the original poster was incorrect, and that we should not echo misinformation
So the ~405 number actually came from me... not the OP or social media... and having literally never trained in a commercial gym or used a Smith in the entirety of my training career (nope, not even once)... I actually didn't know about any counterbalance or negation of the actual bar weight...

That why I used a "~"... I saw eight 45's and assumed the bar weighed at least something because it is made of physical matter and just kind of put down an estimation based on my experiences for people who didn't want to watch.

I wasn't trying to inflate for dramatic effect or spread misinformation.

I thought we all operated under the code of "if I die lifting weights, add more weight and call for help" anyway.
I thought I saw the 405 in the thread of comments attached to the oriinal post, and assumed it was just being repeated from there by people. It is an easy mistake, especially if you have no experience with a Smith Machine. No reason to expect counter weight lookig at it.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:54 am

mbasic wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:17 am Image

Acktually, could be kilo plates? no? because mexico. 20 or 25 kg plates? 397? 440? or those numbers minus the bar? .....

You better amend the complaint you file with the misinformation department.
The plates probably came from the US as well. Not that it matters, I have almost all "Nacional" plates where I am, which just means that they are made here in the country at some sketchy foundry. They are all in lbs, not kilos, even though the country is on metric. They are all also obviously made by creating castings from a single plate that they bought somewhere else, they are just doing reproductions with sand casts by the look if them. They could also be kilo plates, or a mix of both. The gyms I have used in Central America are generally Imperial plates, but sometimes you find a mix of both systems because it is simply a matter of what was available when they were buying plates and that depends on the month and where the plates came from. Total crapshoot. The only constant is that imported plates cost twice as much as the local knock offs.

DCR

Post by DCR » Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:01 pm

mouse wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:34 am having literally never trained in a commercial gym …. in the entirety of my training career (nope, not even once)
#blessed

mouse

Post by mouse » Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:25 am

DCR wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:01 pm
mouse wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:34 am having literally never trained in a commercial gym …. in the entirety of my training career (nope, not even once)
#blessed
Not gonna lie I kinda wanna try it some time...