Costco Kirkland car battery. Yes? No?

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

Oldandfat

Costco Kirkland car battery. Yes? No?

Post by Oldandfat » Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:24 am

Time for new batteries. I usually buy from local auto parts store.

Guys at work “swear” by the Kirkland battery. Likely made by same companies that make the batteries I usually buy.

But Costco does warranty their battery for 4 years full replacement. No one else here does that.

Seems like a win and I get to shop at Costco which means the 120 battery will end up costing me 400 bucks.

Culican

Re: Costco Kirkland car battery. Yes? No?

Post by Culican » Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:29 am

Usually here in Arizona you are lucky if your battery makes it two years. The second 115F+ (46C+) summer kills it. The Costco battery actually made it 3 summers.

GrainsAndGains

Post by GrainsAndGains » Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:32 am

I don't think I've ever needed to get a battery from them but I've had 100% good experiences with the Costco auto shop for tires. I've heard they are understaffed these days, but so is pretty much every where else. You'll definitely want to call ahead to make sure you don't waste a trip.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:16 am

Culican wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:29 am Usually here in Arizona you are lucky if your battery makes it two years. The second 115F+ (46C+) summer kills it. The Costco battery actually made it 3 summers.
Heat is very bad for batteries. But we get very cold and I make short trips. Also bad for batteries. I usually replace every 3 years no matter what.

My battery tested fine in the fall but it turned over real slow this morning not being plugged in. Time for new.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:17 am

GrainsAndGains wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:32 am I don't think I've ever needed to get a battery from them but I've had 100% good experiences with the Costco auto shop for tires. I've heard they are understaffed these days, but so is pretty much every where else. You'll definitely want to call ahead to make sure you don't waste a trip.
We bought winter tires/wheels from Costco for wife. Great pricing and free balance, etc. plus free flat repairs and there’s a Costco practically everywhere. They ship wheels to the house for test fitting.

Cinic

Post by Cinic » Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:02 pm

I've had great luck w/ Costco batteries. They usually only last 2 years or so here in AZ and they have 3 year free replacement - not prorated - and ongoing, not just one free replacement. Walk in with old one, walk out w/ new one.

I changed one in their parking lot at lunch last time mine got slow to start.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:25 pm

Cinic wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:02 pm I've had great luck w/ Costco batteries. They usually only last 2 years or so here in AZ and they have 3 year free replacement - not prorated - and ongoing, not just one free replacement. Walk in with old one, walk out w/ new one.

I changed one in their parking lot at lunch last time mine got slow to start.
Bought my Kirkland today. Dude at the till said just bring it in before 4 years and walk away with a new one. So basically I get 8 years of battery. I usually replace at 3 years.

My battery was really low on water. Never had that issue before. I could see the plates. Got it charging and will do a gravity check to see if it’s good or not.

EggMcMuffin

Post by EggMcMuffin » Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:07 am

I was raised on Kirkland everything since my dad got a job at a union Costco right before I was born and I don't think I've ever encountered a low quality Kirkland item. I had Kirkland glasses as my first pair. It's actually somewhat shocking how consistently good their stuff is. Never had a problem with their batteries.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:46 am

GrainsAndGains wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:32 am I don't think I've ever needed to get a battery from them but I've had 100% good experiences with the Costco auto shop for tires. I've heard they are understaffed these days, but so is pretty much every where else. You'll definitely want to call ahead to make sure you don't waste a trip.
Mine is terrible for tires. They left glue all over and never fail to damage or ruin the TPS. Good initial price but would almost always require a follow up visit to a proper shop.

JonA

Post by JonA » Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:00 am

You guys don't use this one trick that the car industry doesn't want you to know, and revive your car batteries with a stick welder?

Philbert

Post by Philbert » Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:12 pm

JonA wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:00 am You guys don't use this one trick that the car industry doesn't want you to know, and revive your car batteries with a stick welder?
That sounds . . . Exciting.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:45 pm

JonA wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:00 am You guys don't use this one trick that the car industry doesn't want you to know, and revive your car batteries with a stick welder?
I can do the same thing with my noco charger. It has a “repair” mode which is basically equalizing the battery by applying 15.6 volts to the battery. It bubbles just like the stick welder.

Not sure what voltage/amperage the welders are putting into the battery?? And I guess a welder would be cool t have.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:45 pm

Anaphase wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:07 am I was raised on Kirkland everything since my dad got a job at a union Costco right before I was born and I don't think I've ever encountered a low quality Kirkland item. I had Kirkland glasses as my first pair. It's actually somewhat shocking how consistently good their stuff is. Never had a problem with their batteries.
Kirkland,is,some good stuff. Do you know who makes Kirkland batteries?

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:12 pm

Oldandfat wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:45 pm
Anaphase wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:07 am I was raised on Kirkland everything since my dad got a job at a union Costco right before I was born and I don't think I've ever encountered a low quality Kirkland item. I had Kirkland glasses as my first pair. It's actually somewhat shocking how consistently good their stuff is. Never had a problem with their batteries.
Kirkland,is,some good stuff. Do you know who makes Kirkland batteries?
Duracell makes Kirkland's non-auto batteries.

Cinic

Post by Cinic » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:27 am

Kirkland used to be cross branded w/ Interstate. Not sure if they continued making them or not.