The Snowblower Thread

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

The Snowblower Thread

Post by Wilhelm » Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:17 am

The Maine winters finally wore me down enough to drop for a snowblower.
The "Snow removal is good GPP" excuse no longer works.

Went with the Ariens Deluxe 28" SHO 306cc engine. (15lb feet torque/12.5 hp equivalent)
https://www.ariens.com/en-us/power-equi ... uxe-28-sho

Had thought i'd get a Toro because "Hardened gearbox" but the Ariens is actually more durably constructed, and by all accounts just the better machine.
The auto steer fucntion is going to be nice too.
Uses shear bolts, not pins, and it's easily possible to almost never even need to replace those.
If you're smart enough to not leave rocks or chunks of wood on the ground where you will be using the machine.

It's getting delivered today.
The auto shop basically everyone here uses is a dealer, so that's a big plus as well.
Toro dealer is downstate.

$1,399 is $100 better than the best price i found online too.
Fucking stoked.
More snow coming tonight and tomorrow.

5hout

Re: The Snowblower Thread

Post by 5hout » Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:41 am

I looked at that, and other snowblowers, and bought a Yooper Scooper instead (https://scoopsandrakes.com/snow-scoops/). Long driveway now, but on a cost per year of actually working service this seemed like a better deal.

It's good to have a dealer close by, the Ariens brand engines are made in China now (except for some of their models with Briggs and Stratton engines) and QC issue on the engines are way up. The rest of the machines are still built like tanks though, so it's just a matter of getting lucky with the engine or having it worked on a bit and then you've got a beast of a machine.

If I break down and go snowblower next year/year after I'd go for a similar model of an Ariens. Even with the (alleged) engine issues having something that isn't going to rust or fall apart in 2 years is worth it. Was looking at used snowblowers, but decided buying something that starts fine at an 80F garage sale is a waste of time.

brkriete

Post by brkriete » Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:50 am

I got a similar machine last year rather than look for a new plow guy (they all suck).

I got the EFI version which ran amazingly well, started on the first pull every time, and would motor through even the wettest heaviest snow. It will even do the mound at the end of the driveway left by the town plow as long as I take it easy.

However I went to start it up at the end of November to make sure it was in good order for this winter and it wouldn't start (I self-diagnosed as a fuel-pump issue). I brought it to the dealer which fixed it under warranty and it worked fine for our last storm. Fingers crossed that was a one-time issue and I get a good decade or two out of it without major repairs but I was super pissed I had to deal with it at all.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:58 am

5hout wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:41 am I looked at that, and other snowblowers, and bought a Yooper Scooper instead (https://scoopsandrakes.com/snow-scoops/). Long driveway now, but on a cost per year of actually working service this seemed like a better deal.

It's good to have a dealer close by, the Ariens brand engines are made in China now (except for some of their models with Briggs and Stratton engines) and QC issue on the engines are way up. The rest of the machines are still built like tanks though, so it's just a matter of getting lucky with the engine or having it worked on a bit and then you've got a beast of a machine.

If I break down and go snowblower next year/year after I'd go for a similar model of an Ariens. Even with the (alleged) engine issues having something that isn't going to rust or fall apart in 2 years is worth it. Was looking at used snowblowers, but decided buying something that starts fine at an 80F garage sale is a waste of time.
Been using sleigh shovels for 10 years now.
Definitely effective.
Just the sheer amount of snow we get, and the amount of area i need to clear makes it froma a 3 to 6 hour job for any significant storm.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:04 am

brkriete wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:50 am I got a similar machine last year rather than look for a new plow guy (they all suck).

I got the EFI version which ran amazingly well, started on the first pull every time, and would motor through even the wettest heaviest snow. It will even do the mound at the end of the driveway left by the town plow as long as I take it easy.

However I went to start it up at the end of November to make sure it was in good order for this winter and it wouldn't start (I self-diagnosed as a fuel-pump issue). I brought it to the dealer which fixed it under warranty and it worked fine for our last storm. Fingers crossed that was a one-time issue and I get a good decade or two out of it without major repairs but I was super pissed I had to deal with it at all.
I'm using non ethenol "super unleaded" which they sell at the pump nearby.
Going now to get some marine grade sta-bil.
1 Oz to 10 gallons.
The small engines guy from the auto shop who dropped it off (worked on my generator when i had allowed the carb to get gummed up) says he doesn't drain the gas off season with the non ethenol and stabilizer combo.
The area auto shop everyone uses here are really great.
Guy doing some work on our 2000 outback knows those cars well, and noticed the feel of the shifter, so lubed the linkage in a spot where he says they can get stuck and not allow you to put it in gear.
Prices are great and i have been super happy with their work over the last 10 years.

3 year parts and labor warranty.
Just used it.
auto steer is sweet.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:59 am

Wilhelm wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:58 am
Definitely effective.
Just the sheer amount of snow we get, and the amount of area i need to clear makes it froma a 3 to 6 hour job for any significant storm.
That's an insane amount of snow.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:23 am

5hout wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:59 am
Wilhelm wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:58 am
Definitely effective.
That's an insane amount of snow.
So much fun when i'd have it cleared from the drive, then have to do the roof and remove that stuff.
So heavy and compacted once it hits the pavement.

The big 'noreaster a week and a half ago was two shifts and about 6 hours.
But 3+ hours is "about normal"

This was a big one from a few years back -

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:30 am

Good thread. We just moved back to Cleveland from Cincinnati, and I don't think I broke out the snow shovels more than 3-4 times in 3 winters there. We now live in the eastern burbs of Cleveland, and get hit pretty hard with lake effect. I thought we could try to get away with shoveling the driveway and sidewalk, but after 2 20" snowfalls and numerous other 2-3" snowfalls, I'm done. The total area of the parking pad and driveway is about 2500sqft, and even with a 1-2 snow, it take about 20 minutes from just the walking back and forth. The last 20" snowfall took me 4 hours.

Has anybody used the Toro Power Max 824? I've had a Toro lawnmower for the last 9 years, and have had zero reliability issues with it - the enginer manufacturer though is Kohler. It seems that the 824 uses a Toro engine, and was wondering what experiences people have with those engines?

5hout

Post by 5hout » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:55 am

omaniphil wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:30 am Has anybody used the Toro Power Max 824? I've had a Toro lawnmower for the last 9 years, and have had zero reliability issues with it - the enginer manufacturer though is Kohler. It seems that the 824 uses a Toro engine, and was wondering what experiences people have with those engines?
I have an older Kohler engine in my Ariens lawnmower and it is a beast. I got it loaned to me used and old and it's been running with no engine issues (other non-engine issues) for me. Hadn't started it in 3 months and just ran it for 15 minutes the other day, not even a hard start.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:56 am

omaniphil wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:30 am Has anybody used the Toro Power Max 824? I've had a Toro lawnmower for the last 9 years, and have had zero reliability issues with it - the enginer manufacturer though is Kohler. It seems that the 824 uses a Toro engine, and was wondering what experiences people have with those engines?
I had definitely considered one of those.
It was Ariens or Toro as i was deciding.

My late neighbor had one that size that was 10 years old, and it didn't seem like he had babied it.
3 year warranty iirc.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:28 am

5hout wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:41 am I looked at that, and other snowblowers, and bought a Yooper Scooper instead (https://scoopsandrakes.com/snow-scoops/). Long driveway now, but on a cost per year of actually working service this seemed like a better deal.

https://support.ariens.com/article/?id= ... 346bad526c
"Since the beginning of the 2013-2014 snow season, there is no longer a U.S. made two-stage snow thrower engine available in the market. This change is part of a larger trend that involves a shift of the entire engine supply chain for snow thrower engines from the U.S. to China. Early recognition of this trend allowed Ariens Company to strategically select LCT as a partner and work with to co-develop the AX engine."

Looks like Honda started making snow engines in the US in 2015
https://movingsnow.com/2020/2020-snow-b ... ach-brand/

LCT: LCT is an American-owned company and they own its factories in Vietnam. You will mainly see this brand on Ariens and Husqvarna snowblowers but there are a few smaller brands now using this manufacturer. Storm Force, Ariens AX, and Snow King are LCT engines. LCT engine reliability on the Ariens and Husqvarna snow throwers is becoming legendary. LCT engines on other brands of snow blowers will have LCT on the valve cover.

LCT engines on Ariens and Husqvarna snowblowers are warrantied through the respective Ariens and Husqvarna dealers. LCT engines mounted on Power Smart and other smaller brand snow blowers are warrantied through LCT."

Well, hopefully in the 10+ years Ariens has been using LCT, the teething issues have been worked out.

"Briggs & Stratton Snow Series: All B&S motors are labeled as such. Simplicity, Snapper, and Brigg & Stratton snowblowers exclusively use B&S engines. If a B&S engine is mounted on another snowblower brand B&S warranties the engine, not the snowblower manufacturer it is mounted on.

Any B&S snow engines that are made in the USA will have the “made in USA” sticker on them. In reality, though, almost all are made overseas. Briggs does own its own plant in China. According to the Briggs & Stratton website, the following engines are NOT made in the U.S.A. 800, 900, 1150, 2100 Snow Series™

5hout

Post by 5hout » Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:47 am

Wilhelm wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:28 am
https://support.ariens.com/article/?id= ... 346bad526c
"Since the beginning of the 2013-2014 snow season, there is no longer a U.S. made two-stage snow thrower engine available in the market. This change is part of a larger trend that involves a shift of the entire engine supply chain for snow thrower engines from the U.S. to China. Early recognition of this trend allowed Ariens Company to strategically select LCT as a partner and work with to co-develop the AX engine."

Looks like Honda started making snow engines in the US in 2015
https://movingsnow.com/2020/2020-snow-b ... ach-brand/

LCT: LCT is an American-owned company and they own its factories in Vietnam. You will mainly see this brand on Ariens and Husqvarna snowblowers but there are a few smaller brands now using this manufacturer. Storm Force, Ariens AX, and Snow King are LCT engines. LCT engine reliability on the Ariens and Husqvarna snow throwers is becoming legendary. LCT engines on other brands of snow blowers will have LCT on the valve cover.

LCT engines on Ariens and Husqvarna snowblowers are warrantied through the respective Ariens and Husqvarna dealers. LCT engines mounted on Power Smart and other smaller brand snow blowers are warrantied through LCT."

Well, hopefully in the 10+ years Ariens has been using LCT, the teething issues have been worked out.

"Briggs & Stratton Snow Series: All B&S motors are labeled as such. Simplicity, Snapper, and Brigg & Stratton snowblowers exclusively use B&S engines. If a B&S engine is mounted on another snowblower brand B&S warranties the engine, not the snowblower manufacturer it is mounted on.

Any B&S snow engines that are made in the USA will have the “made in USA” sticker on them. In reality, though, almost all are made overseas. Briggs does own its own plant in China. According to the Briggs & Stratton website, the following engines are NOT made in the U.S.A. 800, 900, 1150, 2100 Snow Series™
This is all excellent info, thanks much!

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:51 am

How recent are the LCT Engine issues? First I’ve heard of it. The China,engines,are far better than the Briggs. I,don’t think Briggs is made in the us,anymore.

Ariens makes a great machine m

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:54 am

brkriete wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:50 am I got a similar machine last year rather than look for a new plow guy (they all suck).

I like,EFI but at this point wouldn’t buy. I,can fix/clean a carb, all day, all night blindfolded.

EFI I’m screwed and it will fail when I,need it.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:59 am

Wilhelm wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:04 am

1 Oz to 10 gallons.
The small engines guy from the auto shop who dropped it off (worked on my generator when i had allowed the carb to get gummed up) says he doesn't drain the gas off season with the non ethenol and stabilizer combo.
Guy doing some work on our 2000 outback knows those cars well, and noticed the feel of the shifter, so lubed the linkage in a spot where he says they can get stuck and not allow you to put it in gear.
Prices are great and i have been super happy with their work over the last 10 years.

Just used it.
auto steer is sweet.
Do yourself a huge favor and use trufuel or aspen fuel. No ethanol and it keeps for years.

If,using gas station fuel be absolutely sure it’s non ethonal AND if,the pump offers 3 fuels on one nozzle make sure you put a few bucks of gas in the vehicle before you fill the can. If the guy before you used cheaper ethanol fuel you will get some in your can.

Don’t drain the fuel tank (keep it full..no condensation) and drain the carb. Ariens carbs have a drain plug.

I’m Canadian. We do snow and lots of it, and maple syrup, and stuff.

Toro gear box is supposed to be extremely heavy duty.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:09 am

Oldandfat wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:59 am
Wilhelm wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:04 am

1 Oz to 10 gallons.

Just used it.
auto steer is sweet.
Do yourself a huge favor and use trufuel or aspen fuel. No ethanol and it keeps for years.

If,using gas station fuel be absolutely sure it’s non ethonal AND if,the pump offers 3 fuels on one nozzle make sure you put a few bucks of gas in the vehicle before you fill the can. If the guy before you used cheaper ethanol fuel you will get some in your can.

Don’t drain the fuel tank (keep it full..no condensation) and drain the carb. Ariens carbs have a drain plug.

I’m Canadian. We do snow and lots of it, and maple syrup, and stuff.

Toro gear box is supposed to be extremely heavy duty.
Yeah, northern Maine has snow too lol.

The sledders mostly all use the non ethenol, and it has its own pump at the local station heading out of town.
"Super unleaded" , 90 i believe is the octane rating.
Actually can afford to use it as working fuel.
I'm going to go with what the small engine guy suggests, as it works for him year in and year out.
I've only been here 11 years, he's a native.

I did pick up the marine grade Sta-bil today.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:34 am

@Wilhelm, I want snowblower porn. I love snowblowers.

My 22 year old snowblower refuses to die, though, so I have to live vicariously through you (I want an Ariens 24" deluxe or platinum).

I really, really like Trufuel. But I live in Southern Canada and we get countless dustings of 2-4" & only a few heavy storms So I don't actually use the snowblower often & don't mind the outrageous price of truefuel.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:44 am

Hanley wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:34 am @ Wilhelm, I want snowblower porn. I love snowblowers.

My 22 year old snowblower refuses to die, though, so I have to live vicariously through you (I want an Ariens 24" deluxe or platinum).

I really, really like Trufuel. But I live in Southern Canada and we get countless dustings of 2-4" & only a few heavy storms So I don't actually use the snowblower often & don't mind the outrageous price of truefuel.
The 306cc engine uses a good bit as well.

The Ariens comes with a truly badass "King of Snow" sticker, so basically case closed lol.

Explained to my wife this morning that boys never stop loving stickers, and that a good sticker can elicit greater enthsiasm than the item of real value that it accompanies.
In this case, the snowblower just edged out the sticker.

But the sticker is cool enough that i put it on my rack straightaway.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:10 pm

Hanley wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:34 am @Wilhelm, I want snowblower porn. I love snowblowers.

My blower is 41 years old. If I,ever get a new one it will be the platinum 2k Ariens. Beast of a machine. I use trufuel,for everything. No fuss, no muss. No gummed up carbs. Well worth the cost even if the blower is used a lot.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:54 pm

https://www.mytractorforum.com/threads/ ... e.1355494/

: shrug emoji :

I'm amused that my reaction to the forecast has done a complete 180.

3" to 7" was called for, and i was hoping for 7"

Now it's 5" to 9" and my reaction is the same.

The Ariens (at least these models) have a 14" impeller vs the more common 12" usually used.