Bolwing draggin

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

zappey1

Bolwing draggin

Post by zappey1 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:59 pm

Any Bowlers out here?

I got a 199 tonight! I was super excited as I have not broken 200 in 10 + years I was so close! 8-)

2nd game was shit and I got like 130

Renascent
Desperado

Re: Bolwing draggin

Post by Renascent » Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:03 am

I wouldn't consider myself all that proficient, but I've enjoyed quite a bit of bowling in years past. I'd take the kid with me when he was a little younger, and get to the alley on Sundays before the churckfolk made it (the games were really cheap before noon).

I've rarely gone bowling since I took up lifting. At one time, I was even considering investing in a personal pair of shoes. Can't remember my best score. Certainly never anywhere near 300.

At this point, I'd be interested (and a little scared) to see how things play out with my "new" (and older) body.

There's something inexplicably therapeutic about getting the perfect spin on that damn ball.

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:52 am

I've been bowling league for probably 15 years now. Had my average up around 210 but I am better at gaining hobbies than dropping them, and bowling has fallen into just-bowl-league-and-never-practice neglect, so I'm currently clawing my way back up from the 170s this year.

I love how it's such an approachable sport, but then you learn about bowling ball technology and oil patterns and why you need to hook (or throw a spinner but let's not) and a whole world opens up.

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:00 am

cgeorg wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:52 am I've been bowling league for probably 15 years now. Had my average up around 210 but I am better at gaining hobbies than dropping them, and bowling has fallen into just-bowl-league-and-never-practice neglect, so I'm currently clawing my way back up from the 170s this year.

I love how it's such an approachable sport, but then you learn about bowling ball technology and oil patterns and why you need to hook (or throw a spinner but let's not) and a whole world opens up.
I would love to join a league but don't think I can commit that much time right now. I have always wanted to buy my own ball but have never pulled the trigger. The house balls are terrible!

DCR

Post by DCR » Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:31 pm

@zappey1, you gotta fix the title. I keep seeing “Blowing dragon.” :lol:

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:59 pm

zappey1 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:00 am
cgeorg wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:52 am I've been bowling league for probably 15 years now. Had my average up around 210 but I am better at gaining hobbies than dropping them, and bowling has fallen into just-bowl-league-and-never-practice neglect, so I'm currently clawing my way back up from the 170s this year.

I would love to join a league but don't think I can commit that much time right now. I have always wanted to buy my own ball but have never pulled the trigger. The house balls are terrible!
The best thing you can do for your game is have a ball drilled to fit your hand, and the second best is getting your own shoes.

Many areas have shorter stint leagues - in my town, we have a general sports league that runs fun leagues in a variety of sports in each season, so each bowling league season only ends up running 8 weeks. You could look for something like that to start if you want to see if you like it. Depending on the league structure, it's usually 2-3hrs once a week. It'd probably be more fun if you have some friends to just put in a whole team, but many leagues have room for walk-in singles. My first... 4 leagues I think, I didn't put in a team, just said I wanted to bowl and got matched up.

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:55 pm

DCR wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:31 pm @zappey1, you gotta fix the title. I keep seeing “Blowing dragon.” :lol:
It was supposed to be bowling bragin but my dyslexia kicked in (and the 2 pitchers of coors and makers shot I had while bowling didn't help either). I couldn't figure out how to change it then thought it was funny :lol:

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:00 pm

cgeorg wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:59 pm
zappey1 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:00 am

The best thing you can do for your game is have a ball drilled to fit your hand, and the second best is getting your own shoes.

Many areas have shorter stint leagues - in my town, we have a general sports league that runs fun leagues in a variety of sports in each season, so each bowling league season only ends up running 8 weeks. You could look for something like that to start if you want to see if you like it. Depending on the league structure, it's usually 2-3hrs once a week. It'd probably be more fun if you have some friends to just put in a whole team, but many leagues have room for walk-in singles. My first... 4 leagues I think, I didn't put in a team, just said I wanted to bowl and got matched up.
I'm a dad of 5. Time is a precious commodity!

I really want to be the assistant football coach at my school. But my middle schooler doesn't like football and my 8 year old has a few more years until he is up at the middle school.

If anything I think I would rather do that. 3k stipend. Only coaching ex I have is Pewees and weights though

Maybe one day when they are older