Don't Weigh Me

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

Culican

Don't Weigh Me

Post by Culican » Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:54 am

5hout

Re: Don't Weigh Me

Post by 5hout » Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:01 am

This is a lot of HAES nonsense, and it is journalistic malpractice (but I repeat myself) for them to cite HAES without talking about the utter insanity that HAES has morphed into. This is on pair with citing an vaccines cause autism/5G person as a reference. While certainly, esp in the past, there were some HAES people advocating for increased health at whatever size you happened to be it's become almost entirely an anti-diet/anti-health/anti-weightloss movement. The proportions aren't even close to 50/50, at least judging from those people publishing articles and blogs.

All that said, I think this is more than a kernel of truth here. Even at my most fit/lightest in recent years I've had doctors comment that my BMI is too high. Via tape/caliper/waist I was sub 20%, but they did pure height/weight BMI and concluded it was a problem.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:09 am

Can they each get a participation award for showing up and presenting their card? LOL.

weisgarber

Post by weisgarber » Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:44 am

The cards, which are gaining a ton of attention online, were created by More-love.org, an online resource created to help parents raise “kids who are free from body hate, disordered eating, and eating disorders.”
If you have to present a card begging a doctor not to weigh you, you probably have all 3 of the above.
They’re a subtle way to send a strong message to medical staff: “Please don’t weigh me unless it’s (really) medically necessary. If you really need my weight, please tell me why so that I can give you my informed consent,” the cards read.
If you need to provide "consent" to step on a scale . . . well, Covid is taking care of a lot of these people, so there may be fewer of them going forward.

quikky

Post by quikky » Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:48 am

Lol, there's an "Association of Size Diversity and Health"? Is there also an Association of Blood Sugar Diversity? How about Association of Blood Lipid and Pressure Diversity and Well Being?

Next stop: diagnosing diabetes is rayciss.

GlasgowJock

Post by GlasgowJock » Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:56 am

oBeSiTy Is A sOcIaL cOnStRuCt!

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:52 am

Dr FB-archtype: "Ok, we won't weigh you. Where'd I put the tape measure again? oh yeah, over h...."

*patient bolts out of office like the RoadRunner*

Actually, a tape measure around the waist is probably going to do more damage to people's ego/self imagined ideals....than a scale.

:(

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:58 am

5hout wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:01 am This is a lot of HAES nonsense, and it is journalistic malpractice (but I repeat myself)
I think a lot of this type of stuff is clickbait, honestly.

They know they'll get a rise out of you and me and most everyone that has an inkling of common sense left. Some views/reads/skims.

And then add to that with, that they get a small minority (although, way too many) people clicking/reading for somekind of self-assurance feels.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:51 am

mbasic wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:58 am
I think a lot of this type of stuff is clickbait, honestly.

They know they'll get a rise out of you and me and most everyone that has an inkling of common sense left. Some views/reads/skims.

And then add to that with, that they get a small minority (although, way too many) people clicking/reading for somekind of self-assurance feels.
Agree with all.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:38 am

How do we live in a fatphobic society when people are getting fatter?

If anything, we are in a fatphilic or at least fat-enabling society.

GrainsAndGains

Post by GrainsAndGains » Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:55 am

The doctor needs to know your weight to calculate your medication dose, and large swings, both gains and losses, are usually indicative of something that a doctor needs to examine further. If I brought my dog into the vet for an annual checkup and they told me I didn't need to worry about weighing him I would find a new vet.

If you really believe you can be Healthy At Any Size or whatever you shouldn't be encouraging overweight/obese people to demand a lower standard of care for themselves.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:02 am

GrainsAndGains wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:55 amIf you really believe you can be Healthy At Any Size or whatever you shouldn't be encouraging overweight/obese people to demand a lower standard of care for themselves.
Oftentimes, this is what any SJW argument falls on. Demanding special considerations that typically keep the person “being protected” in their current position of plight. It’s like some form of job security.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:24 am

mgil wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:38 am How do we live in a fatphobic society when fat people are getting fatter?
ftfy

we've never seen anything like this before in history.

who was body shaming everyone back in the 1970's? They were doing a good job.

================

Sure, there's a spectrum of body types, prone to store fat more than others.

I don't want the gal who is 5'7" 250# to be 5'7" 120# .... but she could sure stand to lose 50 to 75.

And that drop would be a big improvement health wise.

GlasgowJock

Post by GlasgowJock » Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:31 am

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:57 am

mbasic wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:24 am
mgil wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:38 am How do we live in a fatphobic society when fat people are getting fatter?
ftfy

================

I don't want the gal who is 5'7" 250# to be 5'7" 120# .... but she could sure stand to lose 50 to 75.

Sure but studies show that the gal will have a small chance of losing only 10% of her bodyweight and keeping most of it off. Also the studies point to a 10% weight loss bringing the majority of health gains.
Should she have gotten that big to begin with? Should I have? Are there reasons?
Fun fact: where I currently teach, due to lead levels it is unsafe for kids to drink the tap water. Which is more available and cheaper in the local bodega: bottled water or C&C cola?
ETA I’m not saying Doctors shouldn’t be weighing people, but I am saying that if you are fat shaming people, that’s not cool. I’d call you a shitty person, but then I’d be shit-shaming

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:19 pm

augeleven wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:57 am
mbasic wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:24 am
ftfy

================

Sure but studies show that the gal will have a small chance of losing only 10% of her bodyweight and keeping most of it off. Also the studies point to a 10% weight loss bringing the majority of health gains.
Should she have gotten that big to begin with? Should I have? Are there reasons?
you mean 'should NOT have gotten that big in the first place' ? right?

kinda all the more reason to nip that shit in the ass early on ..... in childhood development (IMO).

Fun fact: where I currently teach, due to lead levels it is unsafe for kids to drink the tap water. Which is more available and cheaper in the local bodega: bottled water or C&C cola?
I'm not following ^
ETA I’m not saying Doctors shouldn’t be weighing people, but I am saying that if you are fat shaming people, that’s not cool. I’d call you a shitty person, but then I’d be shit-shaming
I'm saying doctors should be weighing everyone.
And taping. And although flawed, maybe those bio impedance scales BF% doodadds come into play.
We've been in an obesity epidemic since the mid 90's.
An epi-fucking-demic !!!
Last time I checked, we would do anything to stop an epidemic.

PuddingFace

Post by PuddingFace » Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:40 pm

augeleven wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:57 am
To your last point, doctors are often relying on heuristics to do their jobs, and weight is one of the factors that would come into that. If anything, in borderline cases, weight would be more noise than anything else. Athletes for instance that are in good shape but have high BMIs, or Senor Cardgage skinny-fat types that may be "healthy weight" but unhealthy body composition or whatever, would both be cases where the actual number on the scale is irrelevant.

And for people that are obviously visually overweight/obese - or severe underweight for that matter, does the number on the scale actually matter? Does it matter if the 5'6" 250 girl is really 235 or 265 (assuming not tracking weight change due to an intervention)?

mettkeks

Post by mettkeks » Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:42 pm

mgil wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:38 am How do we live in a fatphobic society when people are getting fatter?

If anything, we are in a fatphilic or at least fat-enabling society.
Fat-phobic society... mobility scooters at walmart... choose 1.

quikky

Post by quikky » Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:35 pm

Speaking of BMI, while a flawed metric, I think too many people in lifting circles think they're too jacked for BMI to apply to them. I am certain that the vast majority of folks here, as an example, with an obese BMI, are carrying too much body fat. They might not be flat out fatty McFatfats, but they're underestimating how much fat they really have. I bet the number of people with, say a 33" waist and a 30+ BMI is very low. This would be a 5'10" dude that weighs over 210lbs with a waist that size. If that's you, congrats, you're too jacked for BMI.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:37 pm

@augeleven, my fat-enabling point aligns with your point regarding the cost of bottled water often being higher than the cost of sugary drinks. Add processed foods in the mix as well.