The Russia vs Ukraine show

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

Hiphopapotamus

Re: The Russia vs Ukraine show

Post by Hiphopapotamus » Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:57 am

aurelius wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:48 pm What is the difference between a Ground-Launched Small Diameter Bomb (a precision-guided 250-pound bomb that is strapped to a rocket with a range of 94 miles) and any other rocket that delivers an exploding munition?

Maybe just a cheap way to bodge a precision warhead to a rocket and/or it has a bigger bursting charge than most rocket warheads? Either that or it doing it pays for college tuition for the kids of some Raytheon engineer..

GlasgowJock

Post by GlasgowJock » Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:14 am

Hiphopapotamus wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:57 am Either that or it doing it pays for college tuition for the kids of some Raytheon engineer..
Courtesy of the US tax payer, much like ourselves, but hey slava Ukraina!!1one

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Post by BostonRugger » Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:22 am

GlasgowJock wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:14 am
Hiphopapotamus wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:57 am Either that or it doing it pays for college tuition for the kids of some Raytheon engineer..
Ratheon getting pwnd by Slav bros on both sides strapping RPG7 warheads to commecially available drones and flying them into vehicles

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:57 pm

aurelius wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:48 pm What is the difference between a Ground-Launched Small Diameter Bomb (a precision-guided 250-pound bomb that is strapped to a rocket with a range of 94 miles) and any other rocket that delivers an exploding munition?

IDK why you ask the question ...but wiki-wiki says:
The US Army is demilitarizing cluster munitions from M26 rockets; Boeing says a special adapter case could reuse the rocket to launch the SDB. After the rocket motor launches it to a high enough altitude and speed, the wings will deploy and glide the bomb to its target
I guess two things:

1- a rocket propels it up to altitude, then it fall/glides (although 'smart' guided) a distance to its target, more like a smart bomb. Whereas as missiles are under power the whole flight and/or if they're not use a more ballistic like trajectory.

2- it seems they are re-purposing old bomb casings/hulls with a kit. So keeping the term bomb because it was (in a previous life) a true bomb-bomb.

I guess to answer your question: semantics?

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:34 am

Got a good laugh out of this

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/21/politics ... index.html
Russia carried out a test of an intercontinental ballistic missile that appears to have failed around the time President Joe Biden was in Ukraine on Monday, according to two US officials familiar with the matter.

Russia notified the United States in advance of the launch through deconfliction lines, one official said. Another official said that the test did not pose a risk to the United States and that the US did not view the test as an anomaly or an escalation.

The test of the heavy SARMAT missile – nicknamed the Satan II in the West and capable of delivering multiple nuclear warheads – appears to have failed, officials said. It has been successfully tested before and had this one worked, US officials believe Russian President Vladimir Putin would have highlighted the test in his State of the Nation address on Tuesday.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:06 am

Although they might want the credit for helping, Ukraine is not actually being "Given" anything. It's the same lend/lease program that sent stuff to the Allies in WW2. It only ends up a gift if Ukraine loses and thus is unable to make the payments following the war. As much as we all like to slag on government, they are not actually giving all of that stuff away. From a military point of view it is probably incredibly shrewd to get someone else to sacrifice the bodies and also get them to pay (With interrest) for the weapons. The only risk is to the US taxpayer, that maybe they don't get payed back.

Hiphopapotamus

Post by Hiphopapotamus » Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:55 am

Hardartery wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:06 am
Although they might want the credit for helping, Ukraine is not actually being "Given" anything. It's the same lend/lease program that sent stuff to the Allies in WW2. It only ends up a gift if Ukraine loses and thus is unable to make the payments following the war. As much as we all like to slag on government, they are not actually giving all of that stuff away. From a military point of view it is probably incredibly shrewd to get someone else to sacrifice the bodies and also get them to pay (With interrest) for the weapons. The only risk is to the US taxpayer, that maybe they don't get payed back.
Very true. And in the case of some of the older equipment that is never going to be used again, we would actually save some money since we don't have to pay to maintain old gear anymore.

quikky

Post by quikky » Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:55 am

Hardartery wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:06 am
It's also probably worth reminding folks about this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budapest_Memorandum

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Post by BostonRugger » Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:29 am

5hout

Post by 5hout » Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:58 am

@BostonRugger The gap has closed between non-interventionist parody and reality.

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:21 pm

Trump indicted and Finland joined NATO. It's like Mardi Gras for Globalist Cuck RINOs like myself.

Hiphopapotamus

Post by Hiphopapotamus » Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:52 am

omaniphil wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:21 pm Trump indicted and Finland joined NATO. It's like Mardi Gras for Globalist Cuck RINOs like myself.
Which do you think is stronger, your hatred of freedom or your love of tyranny?

dw

Post by dw » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:20 am

I've only skimmed conservative sources but I'm finding the claim that the charges are insupportable by normal standards believable.

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:38 pm

dw wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:20 am I've only skimmed conservative sources but I'm finding the claim that the charges are insupportable by normal standards believable.
We haven't seen the charges yet, so hard to say, but I'm inclined to agree. There are three other investigations underway though, and two of them I think are on much stronger ground that I would have preferred to have gone first (Georgia electors and J6 committee referral).

But this is the Russia/Ukraine thread, so yay to Finland joining NATO! The Mearsheimer/Tankie/"Realist" thesis of the war is that Russia invaded Ukraine due to NATO encroachment. If that was the strategic reason for invading, Russia really own-goaled here, with more than a doubling of a land border with NATO.

Hiphopapotamus

Post by Hiphopapotamus » Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:43 pm

omaniphil wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:38 pm
dw wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:20 am I've only skimmed conservative sources but I'm finding the claim that the charges are insupportable by normal standards believable.
We haven't seen the charges yet, so hard to say, but I'm inclined to agree. There are three other investigations underway though, and two of them I think are on much stronger ground that I would have preferred to have gone first (Georgia electors and J6 committee referral).

But this is the Russia/Ukraine thread, so yay to Finland joining NATO! The Mearsheimer/Tankie/"Realist" thesis of the war is that Russia invaded Ukraine due to NATO encroachment. If that was the strategic reason for invading, Russia really own-goaled here, with more than a doubling of a land border with NATO.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:05 pm

omaniphil wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:38 pm

Assuming he technically broke campaign finance laws 7 years ago I'm having a hard time, since violations by former Presidents clearly require above normal efforts to investigate, Pres. Clinton's many private flights on the Lolita Express or allegations that he stayed on the sex island with 2 minors. Since it is priority A to chase down even technical (and almost certainly widespread (specifically use of campaign fund "legal fees" for other purposes)) campaign finance violations we might as well also go after the transporting minors across state lines for sex as well.

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:36 am

5hout wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:05 pmAssuming he technically broke campaign finance laws 7 years ago I'm having a hard time, since violations by former Presidents clearly require above normal efforts to investigate, Pres. Clinton's many private flights on the Lolita Express or allegations that he stayed on the sex island with 2 minors. Since it is priority A to chase down even technical (and almost certainly widespread (specifically use of campaign fund "legal fees" for other purposes)) campaign finance violations we might as well also go after the transporting minors across state lines for sex as well.
Do you believe violations by former Presidents should require above normal efforts to investigate (I'm assuming you mean something more like the violations need to be especially egregious), or is this just a whatabout?

5hout

Post by 5hout » Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:31 pm

cgeorg wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:36 am
5hout wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:05 pmAssuming he technically broke campaign finance laws 7 years ago I'm having a hard time, since violations by former Presidents clearly require above normal efforts to investigate, Pres. Clinton's many private flights on the Lolita Express or allegations that he stayed on the sex island with 2 minors. Since it is priority A to chase down even technical (and almost certainly widespread (specifically use of campaign fund "legal fees" for other purposes)) campaign finance violations we might as well also go after the transporting minors across state lines for sex as well.
Do you believe violations by former Presidents should require above normal efforts to investigate (I'm assuming you mean something more like the violations need to be especially egregious), or is this just a whatabout?
tl;dr: Bragg is exercising his discretion, and shitting the bed while doing so.

Both? As a whataboutism: just it seems particularly egregious the utter lack of curiosity about a crime that we normal think should be aggressively pursued.

As for the standard for former presidents: If you're going to charge a former president, who is currently running for high office again and go into court asking for the judge to engage in prior restraint on a candidate for president's speech* (i.e. gag rules on certain topics), you better have your ducks in a row. It can't be "we'll charge him and plea some out to nolos, drop some charges when we can't get the evidence, play silly paper games for advantage".

In a perfect world it'd be nice if that was the standard for criminal charges in general, but in the fallen world we live in, surely it should be the standard for election swaying cases. I'll give a very specific example: The felony charge does not need to be, but could, stated at this point in time. It's not due until the bill of particulars comes, and there are advantages to the prosecutor to delay this as long as possible.

This is not the case to fuck around on with procedural games. The prosecutor knows exactly what the felony charge is (in fact, later evidence showing he didn't know would be grounds for attorney discipline (ooh kinky)). He knows what evidence he has in hand (the crimes were years ago, and the investigation has been ongoing for a long time), he could state the crime and provide some, but not all, of his evidence and if he comes up with more evidence it would only be a procedural delay at most to add it in.

Instead, resting on his rear end (maybe he was too arguing down judges from 500k bond to 300k for attempted murder charges (see the news)) he's conducting this in a manner not commensurate with the seriousness of the full situation. From what I can see nothing is be done that isn't allowed by law or will guarantee a victory during motion practice/on appeal, but merely b/c it is allowed by law and not dis-barrable, doesn't make it the right/sane/proper course of action here.

*For those, not here (but elsewhere), arguing "but then anyone can claim to run for office for immunity/benefits", the legal system isn't perfect. It can certainly distinguish between "former Presidents that are top 2 candidates for their party's nod" and random nutjobs that can't get 100 signatures on a ballot.

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:32 pm

Thanks for the detailed response. I agree that basically everything around Epstein and his friends' apparent avoidance of repercussion is sick. Well, I guess Epstein faced some repercussion. Prior restraint... given the way the defendant tends to weaponize speech, I can see this request being reasonable. The lack of delineating the alleged attempted crimes that the case hinges on is pretty bullshit - it seems apparent the 2 directions it could go. Maybe he is hoping to see further theories put forward that he could exercise, but it's not like there was a dearth of legal experts willing to help out, or public speculation on potential crimes, before the indictment was brought. My guess is that Bragg thinks he has his ducks in a pretty straight row but is still taking every edge he can get.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon May 22, 2023 4:05 pm

*bang bang bang*

is this thing still on?

I guess this is an annual thing now ....

and last year / 2022

damn, is this thing ever gonna end?

I wonder if the US furnished the more recent protestor ; it seems like a considerably better upgrade/better model.