The Russia vs Ukraine show

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

quikky

Re: The Russia vs Ukraine show

Post by quikky » Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:37 pm

BostonRugger wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:54 am It’s flat out bizarre that Americans would care this much. Aside from some personal connections, you should ask how you’ve been made to feel so invested in this specific conflict.
I guess I would ask the opposite question of you and others with a similar mindset.

Why do you not care, given the following:

- It is the largest conflict in Europe since WW2, and very many parallels to how WW2 started (autocrat grabbing land by force, and trying to destroy an ethnicity).
- Its outcome has a direct impact on our future defense and conflicts, see: China and Taiwan.
- It is a test of what the West really stands for. We've gotten into a lot of bullshit conflicts supposedly about "democracy", that never panned out. This one actually is about those values. Is this when we say "not our problem"?
- We are ethically obligated to defend Ukraine. As has been posted here numerous times: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budapest_Memorandum. Ukraine gave up its nuclear arsenal (3rd largest at the time), and we were one of the countries that said "no problem, we got your back, bro". Is it acceptable to back out of this? What does doing so say about us?
BostonRugger wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:54 am Do your fives or something and stop being a massive pussy
I am adding 2,000 calories a day, and getting on TRT, will that help?

5hout

Post by 5hout » Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:58 am

quikky wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:37 pm
I guess I would ask the opposite question of you and others with a similar mindset.

1: It is the largest conflict in Europe since WW2, and very many parallels to how WW2 started (autocrat grabbing land by force, and trying to destroy an ethnicity).
2: Its outcome has a direct impact on our future defense and conflicts, see: China and Taiwan.
3: It is a test of what the West really stands for. We've gotten into a lot of bullshit conflicts supposedly about "democracy", that never panned out. This one actually is about those values. Is this when we say "not our problem"?
4: We are ethically obligated to defend Ukraine. As has been posted here numerous times: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budapest_Memorandum. Ukraine gave up its nuclear arsenal (3rd largest at the time), and we were one of the countries that said "no problem, we got your back, bro". Is it acceptable to back out of this? What does doing so say about us?
I numbered your bullet points for succinct and targeted thoughts.

1. I strongly dispute this. Without getting into a book length essay, WW2 started b/c we (the winners) royally fucked up the ending of WW1. Look at the treatment of Germany and Japan in WW2 vs German and Turkey in WW1. We learned from the mistakes, and now Germany/Japan are functional first world countries not ruled by insane autocrats. This isn't to dismiss or diminish the role of evil in WW2, but I find it hard to imagine Hitler succeeding in his openly announced and discussed transformation of Germany into a totalitarian state with the Treaty of Versailles.

2. I would repudiate our defense commitments to Taiwan. To steal a paraphrase from von Neumann (idk if he was in Openheimer, but he is legend so if you're not familiar with him I highly rec'd reading funny/insane von Neumann stories) if you say tomorrow, I say why not today? If you sat at 5pm, I say why not a noon? Actually, I'd first do like 3 months of operation paperclip 2.0 and let all the semiconductor people come here.

3. Because I rate the chance of this turning in WW3 far more than the cost to letting a marginally corrupt, but improving, democracy lose some of its land to Russia. More generally, I do not see this as being in America's best interest and think long term it will be seen as a mistake.

4. It says we acknowledge it was a dumb idea to promise what we couldn't deliver. Why we thought we could promise controls on Russia's foreign policy in its immediate neighborhood long term, I do not know. I would note that we probably could taken steps as far back as 2013 to prevent this (by being much more aggressive, earlier, tied with less NATO expansion). This has been beaten to death in this thread, so I'll simply state we (America) have spent 70 years turbofucking Cuba b/c they provided a foothold for our enemies nearby. We would not (and have not) (see also: Monroe Doctrine) tolerated anything close to this level of interference in our backyard, while simultaneously expecting other nations to be dictated to on how they act in similar situations. This is not a monopolar world (anymore) and this policy is not in our best interest anymore (if it ever wars).

To more generally address the thrust of your post: This is not in America's interest. This is adventurous foreign policy straight out of the Balkan Powder keg/"lets cause WW1" playbook that everyone (well some at least) spends time in school wondering "why didn't they just fucking stop?". Let's just stop. As to your point on ethics, at a country level I believe axiomatically in nearly pure utilitarian (for the country) ethics, so I believe it is fully within in our ethical remit to go "Soz guys, it was really stupid of us to promise this and it is now not in our interest we're going to be back out".

Now, in reality we would implement the 4 stage strategy, but careful observers would know what went down. Exact reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb2xFvmKWRY Full scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hsNfNM0SvE

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Post by BostonRugger » Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:52 am

BostonRugger wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:54 am It’s flat out bizarre that Americans would care this much. Aside from some personal connections, you should ask how you’ve been made to feel so invested in this specific conflict.

- It is the largest conflict in Europe since WW2, and very many parallels to how WW2 started (autocrat grabbing land by force, and trying to destroy an ethnicity).
Couldn't make it one bullet point without Godwining. Contrary to popular belief, there is recorded history from outside the years 1939-1945.
- Its outcome has a direct impact on our future defense and conflicts, see: China and Taiwan.
Citation desperately needed.
- It is a test of what the West really stands for. We've gotten into a lot of bullshit conflicts supposedly about "democracy", that never panned out. This one actually is about those values. Is this when we say "not our problem"?
Really for really really, super for real, it's to save muh democracy this time. Embarassing.

- We are ethically obligated to defend Ukraine. As has been posted here numerous times: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budapest_Memorandum. Ukraine gave up its nuclear arsenal (3rd largest at the time), and we were one of the countries that said "no problem, we got your back, bro". Is it acceptable to back out of this? What does doing so say about us?
Breakup of nuclear soviet union is a unique event, but this agreement as much as anything should make one question the wisdom of the ol foreign entanglements. An indefinite(?!) commitment to defend a country on the opposite side of the world with an ornery neighbor. They had to give to get disarmament, but goddamn.

Doing so would say that we care more about our own interests than those of Ukrainians. This is normal and even good.

BostonRugger wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:54 am Do your fives or something and stop being a massive pussy
I am adding 2,000 calories a day, and getting on TRT, will that help?
If it'll put an end to a week's henpecking, I'm in favor.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:01 am

BostonRugger wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:54 amETA isolationism is a smear used by warhawks/neocons/blood-soaked-monsters. Nothing about non intervention implies you’ll stop trade and pull embassies or whatever
:lol: The problem with isolationism is it is naive. The equivalent of 'My mom says violence never solved anything.' philosophy of global politics.

War as politics by other means. - Clausewitz. WAR IS POLITICS. You don't get peace, embassies, trade, and yada yada yada without WAR. Full stop. Look at history. Most large scale wars were about establishing or controlling trade (wealth). As you state, history didn't start in the 1930's. And the reason why we have not seen 'trade' wars in the modern era is because there is a big super power with the world's strongest military that intervenes if an entity threatens to disrupt global trade that it benefits from. Actually, NOT intervening INCREASES the chances of a large scale conflict that the US would eventually get involved in.

What happens if the US fails to uphold its obligations from the Budapest memorandum? The US appears weak and loses credibility. Other countries will seek other partners (like China and Russia) that are not friendly to US interests (TRADE). This happened under the Trump administration when Trump was creating doubt if the US would honor its global commitments. Welcome to global politics. It is a blood, dirty game. And US history demonstrates this. We didn't just wake up one day. This nation was built through war.

In summary: It's simple. Politics encompasses everything. War does not exist outside of politics. The economy is not some separate entity that exists by itself but simply a perspective or framework we choose to analyze the whole. The US has the world's #1 economy because of its resources and influence. US has that influence BECAUSE of its military might and the wherewithal to use it.
Last edited by aurelius on Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:31 am, edited 5 times in total.

quikky

Post by quikky » Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:18 am

5hout wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:58 am

1: It is the largest conflict in Europe since WW2, and very many parallels to how WW2 started (autocrat grabbing land by force, and trying to destroy an ethnicity).
2: Its outcome has a direct impact on our future defense and conflicts, see: China and Taiwan.
3: It is a test of what the West really stands for. We've gotten into a lot of bullshit conflicts supposedly about "democracy", that never panned out. This one actually is about those values. Is this when we say "not our problem"?
4: We are ethically obligated to defend Ukraine. As has been posted here numerous times: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budapest_Memorandum. Ukraine gave up its nuclear arsenal (3rd largest at the time), and we were one of the countries that said "no problem, we got your back, bro". Is it acceptable to back out of this? What does doing so say about us?
I numbered your bullet points for succinct and targeted thoughts.

1. I strongly dispute this. Without getting into a book length essay, WW2 started b/c we (the winners) royally fucked up the ending of WW1. Look at the treatment of Germany and Japan in WW2 vs German and Turkey in WW1. We learned from the mistakes, and now Germany/Japan are functional first world countries not ruled by insane autocrats. This isn't to dismiss or diminish the role of evil in WW2, but I find it hard to imagine Hitler succeeding in his openly announced and discussed transformation of Germany into a totalitarian state with the Treaty of Versailles.

2. I would repudiate our defense commitments to Taiwan. To steal a paraphrase from von Neumann (idk if he was in Openheimer, but he is legend so if you're not familiar with him I highly rec'd reading funny/insane von Neumann stories) if you say tomorrow, I say why not today? If you sat at 5pm, I say why not a noon? Actually, I'd first do like 3 months of operation paperclip 2.0 and let all the semiconductor people come here.

3. Because I rate the chance of this turning in WW3 far more than the cost to letting a marginally corrupt, but improving, democracy lose some of its land to Russia. More generally, I do not see this as being in America's best interest and think long term it will be seen as a mistake.

4. It says we acknowledge it was a dumb idea to promise what we couldn't deliver. Why we thought we could promise controls on Russia's foreign policy in its immediate neighborhood long term, I do not know. I would note that we probably could taken steps as far back as 2013 to prevent this (by being much more aggressive, earlier, tied with less NATO expansion). This has been beaten to death in this thread, so I'll simply state we (America) have spent 70 years turbofucking Cuba b/c they provided a foothold for our enemies nearby. We would not (and have not) (see also: Monroe Doctrine) tolerated anything close to this level of interference in our backyard, while simultaneously expecting other nations to be dictated to on how they act in similar situations. This is not a monopolar world (anymore) and this policy is not in our best interest anymore (if it ever wars).

To more generally address the thrust of your post: This is not in America's interest. This is adventurous foreign policy straight out of the Balkan Powder keg/"lets cause WW1" playbook that everyone (well some at least) spends time in school wondering "why didn't they just fucking stop?". Let's just stop. As to your point on ethics, at a country level I believe axiomatically in nearly pure utilitarian (for the country) ethics, so I believe it is fully within in our ethical remit to go "Soz guys, it was really stupid of us to promise this and it is now not in our interest we're going to be back out".

Now, in reality we would implement the 4 stage strategy, but careful observers would know what went down. Exact reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb2xFvmKWRY Full scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hsNfNM0SvE
1. There are two things here in terms of WW2 parallels.

First, is the start of the war itself. In this case, the parallels are clear. Ultra-nationalist autocrat starts a land grab with the intent of subjugating his neighbors to the Mother(Deutch)land and doing ethnic cleansing. The mistake we made was waiting and hoping the land grabs would stop, not wanting to get involved because "it's over there".

Second, is what lead to the rise of the Reich, and what ultimately lead to WW2 starting. Russia's history has some parallels to Germany post-WW1, but the problem in this situation has actually been the opposite. Russia, being the main member and the ruling republic of the USSR, did face humiliation due to the collapse of the USSR, and its near economic and societal collapse that followed in the 90s. The difference, however, is that the West's response has not been to humiliate and shun Russia, like what happened with Germany, but rather to connect and open Russia to the world. The West has helped Russia massively during its economic calamities of the late 90s. In the following 2000s, Russia's economy took off massively and was included in the world. We even had the G7 turn into the G8 for a time, and there was talks of Russia being in NATO. While it would be fair to say the West still looked at Russia with some suspicion, Russia's treatment by the West following the collapse of the USSR does not mimic Germany's history post WW1 all that much. In fact, Russia's economic rise through Putin's first two terms in power has lead to more nationalist and repressive policies on behalf of Putin. The invasion of Georgia in 2008 was the first taste of Putin's ultimate vision. The West's mistake following 2008 has not been Russia's humiliation, but instead Russia's appeasement. The timid response from the West enabled Putin to perceive the West as a weak entity, and has lead us to Feb 24th, 2022.

If Russia will badly lose this war, it would be prudent of us to be mindful of Germany's path after WW1. However, what has lead to this WW2-like war, is quite different.

2. In terms of Taiwan, I am not sure how we would "let" the semiconductor people, i.e. TSMC, come here. Aside from the logistical nightmare of actually trying to move ultra-high tech fabs (the TSMC one in AZ is taking years to put up, with delays), why would Taiwan ever agree to such a thing? TSMC is the #1 asset of Taiwan in its defensive arsenal against China.

3. Ukraine losing some of its land to Russia is what happened now, with massive US and Western help. Without our aid, Ukraine as a sovereign entity would no longer exist. If that were to happen, we would be even more-so along WW2's path. Putin's behavior has been to invade and observe. All his invasions prior to this point have been met with non-interference. He has kept invading, and now with full-scale war. I recall Putin talking about NATO leaving the Baltics a few months prior to the invasion. Wonder if he was just kidding about that had he succeeded in Ukraine...

4. The commitment has already been made. You are suggesting that at the moment when we are called upon to fulfill said commitment, we back out and say we shouldn't have made it to begin with? This seems like a disastrous foreign policy approach.

If we make a commitment, we should stick to it. If it turns out to be bad, we should learn from it and do our best to avoid such commitments in the future. Worst case, we back out of the commitment when it is least harmful to the parties involved, not when we are called upon to fulfill our promises.

In terms of the WW1 parallels again, in order to apply the lessons of WW1, we first need to get to the point where they can be applied, i.e. Russia is repelled. The situation now mimics 1939, not 1919.

In regards to NATO, I won't rehash what I've written about it before. If you're curious, look at Putin's essay that he wrote prior to the invasion as an example. The two second version is that NATO is not Putin's concern per se, it is rather lack of control over his ex-Soviet sphere of influence and a desire to get it back. Ukraine was never in NATO, and NATO did not want it. Putin just could not stand to have it leave Russia's orbit, even economically (see Maidan in 2014).

quikky

Post by quikky » Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:35 am

BostonRugger wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:52 am

Couldn't make it one bullet point without Godwining. Contrary to popular belief, there is recorded history from outside the years 1939-1945.
And yet, history exists between 1939 and 1945, and sometimes the present has many parallels to it.

I am also not the one labeling a people as Nazis ;-)
Citation desperately needed.
You want a citation for why the Western response to a landgrab by Russia directly enters into the calculus for China to take over Taiwan?
Really for really really, super for real, it's to save muh democracy this time. Embarassing.
I am sorry you feel embarassed. I do not.

Breakup of nuclear soviet union is a unique event, but this agreement as much as anything should make one question the wisdom of the ol foreign entanglements. An indefinite(?!) commitment to defend a country on the opposite side of the world with an ornery neighbor. They had to give to get disarmament, but goddamn.

Doing so would say that we care more about our own interests than those of Ukrainians. This is normal and even good.
As I have mentioned in the response to 5hout, regardless of whether you agree with the commitment or not, it has been made, and it is a serious one. I think bailing on it, at the absolute worst possible time, is far worse for our interests than actually doing what we agreed to do.

I am also not sure why time is an issue here. The US president that participated had his wife run for president in the election before last. We are not talking about ancient history here.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:18 am

@quikky I thank you for your thoughtful response. I'm pretty sure we're just going to talk past each other at this point, but if I have anything novel to say or on reflection find you've persuaded me I'll dip back in.

quikky

Post by quikky » Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:35 am

5hout wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:18 am @quikky I thank you for your thoughtful response. I'm pretty sure we're just going to talk past each other at this point, but if I have anything novel to say or on reflection find you've persuaded me I'll dip back in.
I thank you for your response as well. And, likewise on the rest.

dw

Post by dw » Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:54 pm

I also don't understand the embarrassment about protecting or spreading democracies (although I think "democracy" is quite an inexact term for something like liberal government).

Oddly the Marxian critique of American imperialism agrees with the claims of American foreign policy on this point. That is both would acknowledge the US wants to spread its form of government. Where they would disagree is on the merits of that form of government.

In all of the countries we have successfully invaded we have tried to set up something like liberal government. Successfully after WW2, probably unsuccessfully in Afghanistan and Iraq (I don't know enough to have an opinion of whether that's a lost cause).

In Latin America we took sides in civil conflicts rather than invading, and supported many anti-democratic regimes, but then again this was against regimes we believed were or would be Soviet aligned oligarchies so I don't think it refutes the point.

I guess I miss how this is supposed to be sappy or idealistic or something like that. It seems to be a general principle that powerful countries favor regimes similar to their own in the other countries with which they have dealings.

mikeylikey
Rabble Rouser

Post by mikeylikey » Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:28 am

aurelius wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:01 am
BostonRugger wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:54 amETA isolationism is a smear used by warhawks/neocons/blood-soaked-monsters. Nothing about non intervention implies you’ll stop trade and pull embassies or whatever
:lol: The problem with isolationism is it is naive. The equivalent of 'My mom says violence never solved anything.' philosophy of global politics.
The only thing worse than isolationism is every other strategy.

Which foreign interventions have made the US richer or safer, not to mention improved the fates of whichever "people" we were ostensibly helping?

WWII, I guess? And if you accept the fairly uncontroversial view that WWII was largely the result of too much intervention in WWI, then there are none.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:49 am

mikeylikey wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:28 amWhich foreign interventions have made the US richer or safer, not to mention improved the fates of whichever "people" we were ostensibly helping?
All of them in totality. Including the tens of thousands of other times the US uses military force to intervene in situation X. Most of it isn't wars or even newsworthy. Use of military force is also patrolling the sea lanes. That is a huge mission the US single handedly takes on to ensure global trade.

Other countries must understand the US can enter into agreements, has the capability to support those agreements, and the wherewithal to follow through with those agreements. Countries understand it is in their best interest to work with the US and provide favorable terms. Security is fundamental to how it all works.

I'm not justifying EVERY intervention and choice the US has made. I disagree with a lot of them. But from the Grand Strategy standpoint they are all calculated risks with almost zero downside to the US (wars fought over there) with the net benefit of developing the world's preeminent military and establishing the belief in other nations that we will use it.

On a side note: there has not been a large naval engagement since WW2. The US Navy is working in the dark just as much as anyone else on what that would actually look like. Any conflict with China will be decided by a large naval engagement. Food for thought.

Anyway, we have had similar types of discussions before. I don't believe the libertarian truism that is all just works if we let it. I have not seen one example in human history of that ever happening at any scale beyond small groups of people. Tribalism is a huge impediment and that is probably hardwired into us. It all works because it is made to work.

quikky

Post by quikky » Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:48 am

It's all a power scale. If you do not exert your power, someone else will. Humans do not, and never have, existed in a power vacuum. The case in Ukraine is the same way in this regard. If we do not exert our power, Russia's power grows. China's power grows. Most autocrats' with similar ambitions power grows. You do not pull back your power and expect there to be a nice void.

Isolationism is indeed naïve. It's the communism of military strategy.

mikeylikey
Rabble Rouser

Post by mikeylikey » Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:52 am

aurelius wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:49 am
mikeylikey wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:28 amWhich foreign interventions have made the US richer or safer, not to mention improved the fates of whichever "people" we were ostensibly helping?
All of them in totality. Including the tens of thousands of other times the US uses military force to intervene in situation X. Most of it isn't wars or even newsworthy. Use of military force is also patrolling the sea lanes. That is a huge mission the US single handedly takes on to ensure global trade.

Other countries must understand the US can enter into agreements, has the capability to support those agreements, and the wherewithal to follow through with those agreements. Countries understand it is in their best interest to work with the US and provide favorable terms. Security is fundamental to how it all works.

I'm not justifying EVERY intervention and choice the US has made. I disagree with a lot of them. But from the Grand Strategy standpoint they are all calculated risks with almost zero downside to the US (wars fought over there) with the net benefit of developing the world's preeminent military and establishing the belief in other nations that we will use it.

On a side note: there has not been a large naval engagement since WW2. The US Navy is working in the dark just as much as anyone else on what that would actually look like. Any conflict with China will be decided by a large naval engagement. Food for thought.

Anyway, we have had similar types of discussions before. I don't believe the libertarian truism that is all just works if we let it. I have not seen one example in human history of that ever happening at any scale beyond small groups of people. Tribalism is a huge impediment and that is probably hardwired into us. It all works because it is made to work.
What allowance do you make for the difference between intervention and security/deterrence/defense. I'd put a lot of what I feel like you are favorably citing in the latter. Patrolling the high seas for example, is just good business - I certainly wouldn't describe killing pirates as "interventionist". There's a qualitative difference between that and injecting men and materiel into a war between two 3rd parties.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:23 am

mikeylikey wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:52 amWhat allowance do you make for the difference between intervention and security/deterrence/defense. I'd put a lot of what I feel like you are favorably citing in the latter. Patrolling the high seas for example, is just good business - I certainly wouldn't describe killing pirates as "interventionist". There's a qualitative difference between that and injecting men and materiel into a war between two 3rd parties.
You say pirates and I say Somalis. Radios don't grow on trees Mikey! I will never let that go. I'm petty like that. 100% an example of US intervention for the purpose of trade (for those keeping score).

Security/Deterrence/Defense is a lot of nice words for we have a military that ensures trade happens in our best interest. I'd argue from an isolationist standpoint (if you don't care about being #1), effective deterrence would be making mandatory military reserve system for all 18-65. 200 million plus riflemen would be a strong deterrent to any invasion. A lot cheaper than our current military too. Most of our inputs are from Mexico or Canada. We can get a lot of the rest from ourselves. Sure the US could go full isolationist, cut back on the military, and still be a top 5 economy? Maybe that is the better route. I dunno. I'm arguing this from the standpoint of US #1 and what it takes to keep that spot.

War is about wealth. Trade is wealth. Controlling trade = the most wealth. Always has been. Always will be. Sure, the ruling elites have to come up with some excuse for the poor people that will go off and die. Examples:

The Crusades. Was 100% about the European ruling class wanting to control the Middle Eastern portion of the Silk Road to generate more wealth for themselves. How did they sell it to the poors? We gonna go kill some heathen Muslims and take back the Holy City for Jesus!!! God wills it!!! (for those who have seen Kingdom of Heaven. Ridley Scott's best movie.)

Iraq 2. We didn't give a shit that Hussein was torturing his people. Hell, we funded him and built his military to fight Iran! W. Bush wanted to control the oil. Part of the whole neocon new world order of the 90's, 00's. This was before US fracking made the US the #1 world oil producer. They thought it would be so easy to go into Iraq, knock Hussein out, and setup a puppet government. How did they sell it to the poors? Terrorism (Hussein had zero involvement in terrorism), weapons of mass destruction (that we gave them) and a Toby Keith song about kicking ass or something. Catchy tune.

To bring it back to this discussion: I would 100% state the US and NATO's support of UKR is not intervention. I'd also state Russia and UKR are not 3rd parties. There is a long history, intermingled alliances, and obligations spanning decades between all parties involved. This isn't 'throw dart at map' where the US decided to implement some new world order vision. The US has been a principal in the politics and economics of this region since WW2. The Budapest memorandum obligates the US to support UKR as we are doing now. NATO is doing so out of self interest. Ultimately, this is about who will control....drum roll....TRADE. Is the US led Western hegemony going to continue? Or will a Russia/Chinese autocratic hegemony replace it?

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Post by BostonRugger » Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:25 am

aurelius wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:23 am
Democratia Vult!

Excellent film.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:14 am

What is Ukraine worth?

I have nothing valuable to add, just remembering that it's about time for my annual viewing of the director's cut.

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Post by KyleSchuant » Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:50 am

aurelius wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:23 amYou say pirates and I say Somalis. Radios don't grow on trees Mikey! I will never let that go. I'm petty like that. 100% an example of US intervention for the purpose of trade (for those keeping score).
What actually happened there was that after a few years of Somalia having no government outside Mogadishu, EU and Japanese fishing vessels came in and start drift-net fishing the fuck out of everything in Somali waters. This left a bunch of Somali fishermen without fish to catch, but with spare boats. Their reasoning was, "Well, they stole from us, so we'll steal from them."

So if the USN really wanted to ensure free trade, they could board, seize and burn down to the waterline some EU/Japanese fishing vessels. It'd only take 2-3 to make the rest fuck off.

Of course, that's not the way the world works. Countries don't have principles, they have interests. And it's not in the USA's interests to piss off the EU and Japan over some fish, certainly not for the sake of Somalis. Of course, then some of those Somalis go and join Islamic radical groups, too, who eventually create some terrorists, who... but modern governments don't think that far ahead.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:09 am

KyleSchuant wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:50 am
aurelius wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:23 amYou say pirates and I say Somalis. Radios don't grow on trees Mikey! I will never let that go. I'm petty like that. 100% an example of US intervention for the purpose of trade (for those keeping score).
What actually happened there was that after a few years of Somalia having no government outside Mogadishu, EU and Japanese fishing vessels came in and start drift-net fishing the fuck out of everything in Somali waters. This left a bunch of Somali fishermen without fish to catch, but with spare boats. Their reasoning was, "Well, they stole from us, so we'll steal from them."
lol, have not heard this^ angle until now.

Googling it now, the "piracy" started off as Somalis (John Doe Somalis...not the Somali Navy) attacking said foreign unauthorized fishing vessels, and holding them for ransom, not cargo ships.

But then they learned this was really profitable. Then they set their eyes on cargo ships.

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Post by KyleSchuant » Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:35 pm

Only governments are large corporations are allowed to steal, not people!

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:34 am

KyleSchuant wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:35 pmOnly governments are large corporations are allowed to steal, not people!
It's called imminent domain and people are reimbursed market value.