Handy engineer gods… home garage “crane”.

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

Oldandfat

Handy engineer gods… home garage “crane”.

Post by Oldandfat » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:38 pm

I got 2 sets of winter tires/rims. They are on racks mounted on the wall. It works. But I’d like to move the racks above the big garage door to free up space and do a garage makeover.

Problem is the racks would be very high in the new spot. Too high to press them onto the rack.

So I’m looking,at some type of “crane” to hoist the tires up. I have some ideas. Maybe they are good? Maybe they are dumb? Maybe there’s a better way?

Nothing fancy. I’m thinking 2 pulley system (game hanging hoist from cabellas) but not sure how to set it up?

1. Simple d ring bolted above rack into joist. Raise tire, swing onto rack.

2. Uni strut Chanel and trolley to roll tire side to side and raise with pulleys.

3. Angle iron with holes strapped to ceiling. Carabiner pulley into hole and raise tire.

4. Rig up sliding barn door hardware and pulley

Right now I can clean and press the tire. But a garage door is 7 feet, plus I have a header above the door (2 x 12?) so 8 feet. I’d need to climb a ladder with a 50 pound tire. No thanks.

Plus I’m old and fat. As I get older the tire will get heavier. The Egyptians used pulleys.

Angle iron is cheap, and I’ve got some d rings kicking around.

Thoughts?

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Re: Handy engineer gods… home garage “crane”.

Post by mgil » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:45 am

https://www.fleximounts.com/overhead-ga ... x-4-gl44b/

This company exists. Dunno what your wheel/tire combos look like, but one of these should handle at least a set of four.

mettkeks

Post by mettkeks » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:30 am

Oldandfat wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:38 pm I got 2 sets of winter tires/rims. They are on racks mounted on the wall. It works. But I’d like to move the racks above the big garage door to free up space and do a garage makeover.

Problem is the racks would be very high in the new spot. Too high to press them onto the rack.

So I’m looking,at some type of “crane” to hoist the tires up. I have some ideas. Maybe they are good? Maybe they are dumb? Maybe there’s a better way?

Nothing fancy. I’m thinking 2 pulley system (game hanging hoist from cabellas) but not sure how to set it up?

2. Uni strut Chanel and trolley to roll tire side to side and raise with pulleys.

3. Angle iron with holes strapped to ceiling. Carabiner pulley into hole and raise tire.

Right now I can clean and press the tire. But a garage door is 7 feet, plus I have a header above the door (2 x 12?) so 8 feet. I’d need to climb a ladder with a 50 pound tire. No thanks.

Plus I’m old and fat. As I get older the tire will get heavier. The Egyptians used pulleys.

Thoughts?
If it's just for the tires, I'd 100% do Nr. 1 with a pulley. Nr. 3 is good and cheap enough too, but more work and cost for essentially the same thing. 2 and 4 are the same thing. A bit overkill imo.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:07 am

mgil wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:45 am https://www.fleximounts.com/overhead-ga ... x-4-gl44b/

This company exists. Dunno what your wheel/tire combos look like, but one of these should handle at least a set of four.
I’ve already got the storage racks, was looking into an easier way to get them up to the rack/shelf.

I actually have fleximount shelves. Very stout and with the price of lumber they aren’t too expensive. Very quick and easy to put up.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:09 am

mettkeks wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:30 am
Oldandfat wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:38 pm I got 2 sets of winter tires/rims. They are on racks mounted on the wall. It works. But I’d like to move the racks above the big garage door to free up space and do a garage makeover.

Thoughts?
If it's just for the tires, I'd 100% do Nr. 1 with a pulley. Nr. 3 is good and cheap enough too, but more work and cost for essentially the same thing. 2 and 4 are the same thing. A bit overkill imo.
Yup, just tires.

Instead of d ring I’m going to use a screw eye. 2 per rack , each one kinda on each side of the rack. Some guy on garage journal did this. Looks like it’ll work.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:10 am

Oldandfat wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:07 am
mgil wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:45 am https://www.fleximounts.com/overhead-ga ... x-4-gl44b/

I’ve already got the storage racks, was looking into an easier way to get them up to the rack/shelf.

I actually have fleximount shelves. Very stout and with the price of lumber they aren’t too expensive. Very quick and easy to put up.
Pointing out this system that actually raises and lowers by design.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:18 am

mgil wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:10 am
Oldandfat wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:07 am

Pointing out this system that actually raises and lowers by design.
Sorry, was focused on the shelving units as I do own them.

Yup, this would work, and if I didn’t already have the tire storage racks this would be the solution.

Just planning ahead to make lifting the tires easy as I age.

It’s looking like a screw in eyebolt / 2 pulley system is the winner. Easy, and cheap.