Minivans. Do you? Would you? Should you?

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

Hardartery

Re: Minivans. Do you? Would you? Should you?

Post by Hardartery » Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:29 am

Oldandfat wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:38 pm He’s a question.

When you get a car repaired you are charged labor based on what “the book” says not the actual time. So “book” hours times shop rate - labor charge.

What exactly is “the book”? Where can I get one? Who decides how long it takes to do something?

Brakes are easy to figure. Mostly the same for all cars but say like an alternator…. Daughter used to drive grandpas old blazer. Alternator took me 15 minutes. There it was right when I opened the hood. I could almost work inside the compartment.

My frontier involves taking the passenger tire offf, and going through the fender. A bit longer.

Does each manufacturer have their own “book”?

Spark plugs can be easy and can be a chore.
They all have a common book that is used. I have a buddy with a shop, I've seen the book. The insurance adjusters use it too, everything is figured out ahead (Usually by the manufacturer I believe). The shop charges based on it, the mechanics frequently get paid according to it (Many are not actually paid hourly by the shop where they work, they are paid by the job like sub-contractors) so if you are amechanic and you are fast you make more money than the other mechanics.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:58 am

gtl wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:20 am

When you get a car repaired you are charged labor based on what “the book” says not the actual time. So “book” hours times shop rate - labor charge.

What exactly is “the book”? Where can I get one? Who decides how long it takes to do something?

Brakes are easy to figure. Mostly the same for all cars but say like an alternator…. Daughter used to drive grandpas old blazer. Alternator took me 15 minutes. There it was right when I opened the hood. I could almost work inside the compartment.

My frontier involves taking the passenger tire offf, and going through the fender. A bit longer.

I used to use a "Haynes" manual to work on my car. It typically broke down everything with instructions/pictures/duration. I believe shops using something similar, where a standard is used.

Good example - in my first car (95 Nissan Maxima), spark plugs were a a pain in the ass. You could get to the front 3 pretty easily, but to get to the back 3, you had to take off the intake manifold. Well, to take off the intake manifold, you're talking about starting with the airbox, to the throttle body, to the IM. I lost a tiny little gasket on the EGR valve one time, did not realize it, and could not get my car to run for 2-3 days once after changing spark plugs. The IM also had a gasket that needed resealed, but more likely replaced if you open it up as well. So, there's additional time and parts cost there, too.
I buy a Haynes manual for every car I own. If only for specs, and a theororetical knowledge of the vehicle. Plus I can at least seem like I’m educated about cars (or a dumbass who thinks he is) so if I go to a shop they know they can’t sell me muffler bearings.

Haynes plus YouTube = if I do the job or not. Oil change, brakes, alternator, serpentine no problem.

Watched a timing belt Honda Ridgeline video yesterday and that’s something I’d hire out. Unless summer, holidays and spare car available for whatever happens.

And something always happens. I lose something, snap a bolt, wrong parts, something breaks that wasn’t supposed to, etc.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:01 am

Hardartery wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:29 am

They all have a common book that is used. I have a buddy with a shop, I've seen the book. The insurance adjusters use it too, everything is figured out ahead (Usually by the manufacturer I believe). The shop charges based on it, the mechanics frequently get paid according to it (Many are not actually paid hourly by the shop where they work, they are paid by the job like sub-contractors) so if you are amechanic and you are fast you make more money than the other mechanics.
I figured it has to be by make and model. Usually it’s pretty standard, but then you get those cars… “what the hell were the engineers thinking?”

Every manufacturer has the terminator t600 robotic machine that puts on oil filters.

I’ve never bought a car that had an easy to remove oil filter from the factory.

JonA

Post by JonA » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:58 am

Oldandfat wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:01 am I figured it has to be by make and model. Usually it’s pretty standard, but then you get those cars… “what the hell were the engineers thinking?”

Every manufacturer has the terminator t600 robotic machine that puts on oil filters.

I’ve never bought a car that had an easy to remove oil filter from the factory.
You can get copies, at least for older vehicles I tend to have, on alldata.com

It's pretty rare that me and my teenage boys fixing on something for the first time can't beat the shop time. ;)

Well,except for that god @&#_-$-$ carbon emissions filter on the *"#-$+$+ing. gas tank vent on the $&&#*??+& Toyota Camry.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:05 pm

So I had a lookie at the ridgline in person. Gotta say I’m very impressed.

They wrecked the one I wanted by adding an “hpd” package. Bronze rims , weird stickers, and fender flares. On a Tacoma I get it, but the demographic target for the rl ain’t into that crap.

Drives real nice and car like. Interior is nice, TONS OF storage under rear seats. Box is big enough, lockable “trunk” in the box is neat and I can see it being very useful.

Add a roof rack and I think we’re good to go.

AND……. It has a bigger payload than my current “truck”, Tacoma, and even a tundra!

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:33 pm

There’s a nice Honda cargo tray that fits under the rear seats to keep stuff in place.

I also have the version with the trunk bed speakers. Kinda cool trick for tailgating and stuff.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:53 pm

Yikes had a conversation with my sister. 2014 pilot. Big disaster. Engine doing all kinds of goofy things. Camshafts, lifters, engine stuff. Can’t seem to resolve. Kinda off putting.

Nothings forever but I wouldn’t expect any engine issue.

Ridgeline forums seem to indicate quality all over the place whereas tundra is more “known issues”.

Ya, I know. Internet. And people are way more likely to bitch than praise.

Black edition has the bed speakers. Very cool

JonA

Post by JonA » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:47 am

"That thing looks like the illegitimate love child of a El Camino and a Honda Pilot!"

gtl

Post by gtl » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:56 am

mgil wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:23 am Yeah, the manufacturers do have a book that assesses hours for various repairs, mainly to provide a limit for paying out on warranty work. I don’t know where you can find it. I think it’s all online now anyhow. If you can find an inside contact via a forum, sometimes they can tell you what the hours quote is for various jobs.

@gtl, the Bentley manuals are what most shops would use. The Haynes manuals often have errors.
I blame those errors for all the mistakes I made working on my own car :lol:

DoctorWho

Post by DoctorWho » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:56 am

Not exactly on topic, but fun minivan culture in Japan:

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:28 pm

JonA wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:47 am
SpoilerShow

"That thing looks like the illegitimate love child of a El Camino and a Honda Pilot!"
I can’t tell which type of guy he’s mocking (both?) and if he’s endorsing or dismissing the vehicle in question.

JonA

Post by JonA » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:05 pm

broseph wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:28 pm I can’t tell which type of guy he’s mocking (both?) and if he’s endorsing or dismissing the vehicle in question.
That's the best part. No need to take a side. Just laugh.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:58 am

Getting lots of flak on the Ridgeline. Wife hates it and daughter hates it.

Ya I agree it’s not the manliest looking “truck”. It checks all the boxes. I really like it.

Was trying to leverage. 100 year event which results in Grossly inflated used values, and the fact I can actuall buy a Ridgeline. They are not popular.

If I go Toyota, I get the high trade value, but no truck.

Never thought I’d see the day my wife would be argueeing for a full-size.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:42 am

And the Ridgeline is off the table. I love it. Everything I need, nothing I don’t

Wife and daughter hate it. Like really hate it.

It rides beautifully rear seat storage is awesome as is the trunk In The bed. Hopefully other manufacturers start doing this.

So, tundra it is. And hey nothin wrong with a tundra. Gonna wait it out till the chip shortage, suppose,y and stupidity sorts it’s self out.

Also allows for Toyota to sort out the teething pains of a new design.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:29 pm

Oldandfat wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:42 am So, tundra it is
Oh fuck. Endless problems with mine.

I'll pray you fare better.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:57 pm

Hanley wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:29 pm

Seriously? They are a highly reliable truck. What year was/is yours? There were some steering rack issues, cam tower leaks, a bad batch of starters.

Some had noisy control,arm bushings but over all these trucks usually go forever with few issues.

What were the issues? The 22’s are having minor fit and finish, and some reports of turbo waste gate failures

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:20 am

Hanley wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:29 pm

Did you actually have tundra issues, or did you dump it for an exotic when you became a billionaire via moderna stock?

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Post by BostonRugger » Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:57 am

Baby number three ETA mid-December. We are in the minivan market. Google tells me the only options for AWD are the Toyota Sienna and the Chrysler Pacifica. Anyone have particularly positive or negative experience with recent model years for these? I'm leaning Toyota cuz I liked my previous Toyotas.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:46 am

BostonRugger wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:57 am Baby number three ETA mid-December. We are in the minivan market. Google tells me the only options for AWD are the Toyota Sienna and the Chrysler Pacifica. Anyone have particularly positive or negative experience with recent model years for these? I'm leaning Toyota cuz I liked my previous Toyotas.
If you think AWD is a must, then Toyota. Minivans are usually heavy enough and long enough that FWD is usually okay. If FWD would suffice, then Honda.

Also, a Pilot or Highlander would have similar interior room.

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Post by BostonRugger » Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:01 am

mgil wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:46 am
BostonRugger wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:57 am Baby number three ETA mid-December. We are in the minivan market. Google tells me the only options for AWD are the Toyota Sienna and the Chrysler Pacifica. Anyone have particularly positive or negative experience with recent model years for these? I'm leaning Toyota cuz I liked my previous Toyotas.
If you think AWD is a must, then Toyota. Minivans are usually heavy enough and long enough that FWD is usually okay. If FWD would suffice, then Honda.

Also, a Pilot or Highlander would have similar interior room.
My wife is going to be the primary driver for this thing since drop-off is near her work (and now *at* her work for one of them). I'm going to consider her skill level to be static so considering where she has to drive each day, I want AWD. Do you have a Pilot? I'll try and see what access is like. I like the easy entry mini-van for the older boy(s) getting in and out with less assistance.

In the interest of keeping it to one new car payment, I'm gonna trade in my 2022 Legacy and will rock a Forester as daily driver. I am all that is man.