Minivans. Do you? Would you? Should you?

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

Oldandfat

Re: Minivans. Do you? Would you? Should you?

Post by Oldandfat » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:17 pm

mgil wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:47 pm The 9 speed auto in my Passport seems fine. The Ridgeline has the 6 speed.

After the recent facelift, local dealers can’t keep the Ridgeline in stock. It’s a decent looking truck. Bonus that you can get factory roof rails and crossbars so that a basket or box can be easily mounted over the cab.

I looked into deleting the cylinder deactivation. Doing so voids the warranty. Seems like trading one risk for another. Like I mentioned above, the Honda Accord I have with the same engine design and an older version of the cylinder deactivation software (one that had noted problems compared to recent versions) has no issue.

Local to me (Boston area), the Ridgeline holds its value well.

New RL has the 9 speed.

I like roof rails. Very useful. Lots of,RL’S in stock here. It’s f150 and Tacoma country.

Does the deactivation mod void warranty? Again, internet? Lots of people do mods that in theory void warranty.

Just unhook the mod thingie when it goes for warranty work?

There were 3. Versions of deactivations. I’d like to think they improve on them.

Hondas generally have good resale anywhere, all day long.

My sister bought a brand new civic, drove it for 10 years and sold it with 400k (km) for half of what she paid for it. This was well before Covid “supply chain” issues and car shortages drove up used prices.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:21 pm

zappey1 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:16 pm I'm a dad of 5. We rock the heck out of our minivan (Dodge Grand Caravan 2018).

It is great for hauling people LOTS of room for everyone. I have a truck so I don't use it much for hauling but the back rows can fold down to have some decent space for hauling. I actually see a group of builders around my neighborhood that use an older one as their work vehicle.

So much more room for passengers than an SUV.

I will say that I have thought about trading in the truck for a 4 runner as I rarely use my truck for hauling these days and the passenger capacity is limited.

A minivan will be part of my life for at least 10 more years. This is the second one we have owned. The ground clearance sucks but the passenger/ cargo capacity and the gas millage is great.
4Runners are nice. If I didn’t “need” a truck I’d be looking at one. Although I think SUV’s are silly. We bought our rav (cuv?) because my wife has a bad knee and wanted something higher than a car. This was before the Corolla cross which is basically a cuv.

I think I’d regret giving up my truck. If driven trucks for so long and I really drive it as a car.

Eyeballin the ridgeline. Seems like a best of everything.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:36 pm

Mgil, am I reading the specs correctly? I can fit sheet goods flat into the box? Impressive.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:40 pm

Oldandfat wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:36 pm Mgil, am I reading the specs correctly? I can fit sheet goods flat into the box? Impressive.
It’s flat across the bed. 4x8 will hang over.

Regarding mods that affect the ECU: if they are found or a weird code shows up as a result, be prepared for the dealer not covering the work. And all of the VCM sellers give off a weird vibe.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:08 pm

I think that minivans have a lot of positives, and have thought about getting one a few times, but the wife won't have it. She won't have one in the driveway and under no circumstances can I buy one. I think they are actually super useful and make a lot of sense, and the can look good (Just not look good and kept factory). The Ridgeline is not a man's vehicle, I know that's not PC or whatever, but it just isn't I'm sure it has positives, but, no. I dislike El Caminos and I hate the RL from somewhere deep inside in a primordial DNA driven sort of way. It has nothing to do wih the frame or lack thereof, I hate the Avalanche just as much and I am decidedly pro Chevy truck. I had a Honda Civic, and I despised everything about that car. I'm not anti-Honda per se, but I seriously doubt I would ever buy another after that Civic. German cars have been nothing but fantastic for me, they go and go and go and are fun to drive. I have liked Nissan trucks, I had a small one that was a great little machine and I have a Patrol nowwhere I am in Central America. When I end up in N America again to live, I know I'll have a Chevy 2500 or 3500, with the cylinder deactivation thing eliminated, and probably an old truck as well like a mid-60's C-10 or maybe even a 55-57 model. My Toyotas have been hit and miss, and I'll never own anther Ford, EVER. But the vans make a lo of sense.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:29 pm

mgil wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:40 pm
Oldandfat wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:36 pm Mgil, am I reading the specs correctly? I can fit sheet goods flat into the box? Impressive.
It’s flat across the bed. 4x8 will hang over.

Regarding mods that affect the ECU: if they are found or a weird code shows up as a result, be prepared for the dealer not covering the work. And all of the VCM sellers give off a weird vibe.

I’m almost sold just on sheet goods fitting flat!

I’d argue that the manufacturer and dealer will try and screw you over no matter what. It’s a myth if you buy and service at the dealer, they will “go to bat for you” if needed. Bullshit. Once they have your money you are nothing.

I agree the end mod guys are creepy.

Honestly I’d say any modern vehicle not driven stupid, AND maintained properly should last a long time.

I,really,wish you could turn off VCM like you can the start/stop. Just gives me the heebie jeebies.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:32 pm

Hardartery wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:08 pm I think that minivans have a lot of positives, and have thought about getting one a few times, but the wife won't have it. She won't have one in the driveway and under no circumstances can I buy one. I think they are actually super useful and make a lot of sense, and the can look good (Just not look good and kept factory). The Ridgeline is not a man's vehicle, I know that's not PC or whatever, but it just isn't I'm sure it has positives, but, no. I dislike El Caminos and I hate the RL from somewhere deep inside in a primordial DNA driven sort of way. It has nothing to do wih the frame or lack thereof, I hate the Avalanche just as much and I am decidedly pro Chevy truck. I had a Honda Civic, and I despised everything about that car. I'm not anti-Honda per se, but I seriously doubt I would ever buy another after that Civic. German cars have been nothing but fantastic for me, they go and go and go and are fun to drive. I have liked Nissan trucks, I had a small one that was a great little machine and I have a Patrol nowwhere I am in Central America. When I end up in N America again to live, I know I'll have a Chevy 2500 or 3500, with the cylinder deactivation thing eliminated, and probably an old truck as well like a mid-60's C-10 or maybe even a 55-57 model. My Toyotas have been hit and miss, and I'll never own anther Ford, EVER. But the vans make a lo of sense.
I’ve just informed no minivan. Wife didn’t think I was serious.

She doesn’t like the ridgeline either. I do.

I’ll never buy a German car. They are garbage. Engineered to drive nice but reliable they are not.

My neighbors across the street are both doctors. Very well off. I thought they were REALLY well off as they always have new German cars. They are loaners when their German cars are being fixed, which is all the time.

Porches are reliably unreliable, lol.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:59 pm

I've been driving minivans for 15 years. Tons of cargo space, and protected from the elements. Makes it easy to transport my photo equipment and jump out and shoot for a few minutes wherever I want. I can also take the seats out and transport plywood sheets or 1000lbs of gym equipment that I bought for super cheap from some old guy on craigslist. Or, I can go on a road trip with family. It's also comfortable to drive and get in and out of, not like climbing into the cockpit of a fighter jet. No, it's not fast or sporty but I just need to get from point A to point B with my shit, not live out my childhood racecar driver fantasies.

I don't get the hate. If someone thinks I'm not cool, or not ruff-n-tuff enough because of the vehicle I drive, well then I guess they can fuck right off because I don't give a shit.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:08 pm

Oldandfat wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:32 pm

I’ll never buy a German car. They are garbage. Engineered to drive nice but reliable they are not.

My neighbors across the street are both doctors. Very well off. I thought they were REALLY well off as they always have new German cars. They are loaners when their German cars are being fixed, which is all the time.

I had two VW Jettas, one 1985, one 2004. The 2004 was a TDI (Diesel). They ran and ran. No problems, just maintenance. The 1985 was better than the 2004 in several ways, but I loved both of them. The 2004 os currently being driven by the wife's cousin's daughter. It had well over 200k miles when it went to her, it had over 20k when I sold it to y FIL and he had ot for several years before giving it to his brother's grandaughter. I've never had a Porsche, and don't plan on getting one, but I would definitely consider another VW for a family car. My dad has a Dodge Caravan that he converted to handicap for my youngest brother (Quadrapalegic). He bought it new, and it sill goes and works fine. He's had a few of them over the years, they have been mostly pretty good, but the wife is aggressively anti minivan. I would really like to find an old Delivery, like a 1964-1966 Chevy to redo.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:19 pm

Hardartery wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:08 pm

I had two VW Jettas, one 1985, one 2004. The 2004 was a TDI (Diesel). They ran and ran. No problems, just maintenance. The 1985 was better than the 2004 in several ways, but I loved both of them. The 2004 os currently being driven by the wife's cousin's daughter. It had well over 200k miles when it went to her, it had over 20k when I sold it to y FIL and he had ot for several years before giving it to his brother's grandaughter. I've never had a Porsche, and don't plan on getting one, but I would definitely consider another VW for a family car. My dad has a Dodge Caravan that he converted to handicap for my youngest brother (Quadrapalegic). He bought it new, and it sill goes and works fine. He's had a few of them over the years, they have been mostly pretty good, but the wife is aggressively anti minivan. I would really like to find an old Delivery, like a 1964-1966 Chevy to redo.
I’d say you are an exception to the rule: buy Japanese, lease German. After the lease turn in the keys and run.

My dad also owned a dodge caravan. I changed transmission fluid, and he changed transmissions. His first caravan went through 3 of them.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:26 pm

Minivan is now out.

Ridgeline or tundra are the choices. Both are nice. Tundras are having turbo issues already. Yikes. Not cool.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:12 pm

VWs I’ve owned…

A 1987 MkII Golf
A 1989 MkII Golf GTI
A 1996 MkIII Golf GTI
A 2003 MkIV Jetta Wolfsburg (1.8t)
A 2006 Audi A4 Avant (2.0t) (fancy VW)
A 2007 MkV Golf GTI (2.0t + DSG)

The MkII Golfs were bulletproof, and if they did have an issue, it was easy to fix. I ran my MkIII up to 130,000 miles with little issue.

The MkIV Jetta had O2 sensor issues early on. A quick little car, but I knew it was going to be a problem. The A4 engine self detonated with 99,000 miles on the clock. The dealer covered the replacement of the long block (the high pressure fuel pump failed). I ran that to 180,000 miles with only brakes being replaced, likely because when the engine blew up, they replaced it with the newer version of the 2.0t. The MkV needed the top end rebuilt at 35,000 miles. I knew it’s life was short. All of them were awesome to drive with fantastic ergonomics, when running. But VW reliability has been on a steady decline, so I won’t buy a new one, no matter how tempting a Golf R is.

It’s really hit or miss with German cars, even within the same brand. BMW was notorious for making bulletproof I6s while making fragile V8s and V12s.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:33 pm

Oldandfat wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:26 pm Minivan is now out.

Ridgeline or tundra are the choices. Both are nice. Tundras are having turbo issues already. Yikes. Not cool.
I have a buddy that likes Tundras. I have no idea why, the first two were not good to him at all. Not sure what he has right now, he as truck ADD and never seems to keep anything too long. I like my Patrol, I loved the 1987 Hardbody that I had, I have yet to drive a Tacoma that I like. I don't know what the deal is, but I haven't liked a single one, and I've driven (But not owned) several. My Camry (2001) made my knee hurt every time I sat in it for more than 10 minutes, not big guy friendly design. I think the Tacoma may be a similar problem - just too cramped. It's made for little Japanese guys.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:37 pm

mgil wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:12 pm

VWs I’ve owned…

A 1987 MkII Golf
A 1989 MkII Golf GTI
A 1996 MkIII Golf GTI
A 2003 MkIV Jetta Wolfsburg (1.8t)
A 2006 Audi A4 Avant (2.0t) (fancy VW)
A 2007 MkV Golf GTI (2.0t + DSG)

The MkII Golfs were bulletproof, and if they did have an issue, it was easy to fix. I ran my MkIII up to 130,000 miles with little issue.

The MkIV Jetta had O2 sensor issues early on. A quick little car, but I knew it was going to be a problem. The A4 engine self detonated with 99,000 miles on the clock. The dealer covered the replacement of the long block (the high pressure fuel pump failed). I ran that to 180,000 miles with only brakes being replaced, likely because when the engine blew up, they replaced it with the newer version of the 2.0t. The MkV needed the top end rebuilt at 35,000 miles. I knew it’s life was short. All of them were awesome to drive with fantastic ergonomics, when running. But VW reliability has been on a steady decline, so I won’t buy a new one, no matter how tempting a Golf R is.

It’s really hit or miss with German cars, even within the same brand. BMW was notorious for making bulletproof I6s while making fragile V8s and V12s.
I don't know if will ever buy another, the GTI's are always tempting and I have a feeling that I'd like the SUV's inside. I liked the Eurovan, but not the replacement (It was made on Chrysler production lines and shared a lot of the chassis). I have really liked some of the concept van replacements, but they have yet to ever make and sell them. At this point I'm as likely to find an old car and replace everything I don't like with restomod components to get the old look with the new car reliability and drivability.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:52 pm

Hardartery wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:33 pm
Oldandfat wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:26 pm Minivan is now out.

I have a buddy that likes Tundras. I have no idea why, the first two were not good to him at all. Not sure what he has right now, he as truck ADD and never seems to keep anything too long. I like my Patrol, I loved the 1987 Hardbody that I had, I have yet to drive a Tacoma that I like. I don't know what the deal is, but I haven't liked a single one, and I've driven (But not owned) several. My Camry (2001) made my knee hurt every time I sat in it for more than 10 minutes, not big guy friendly design. I think the Tacoma may be a similar problem - just too cramped. It's made for little Japanese guys.
What was the issues with the tundra? Typically they are bullet proof.

Patrol is like an armada? Or pathfinder?

I really really wanted to like the Tacoma. Like you, I found it small and cramped (more so than my frontier). The seating is “off”. It’s a decent hike into the truck and then you plop down into the seat. It’s too low no matter what.

oldguy

Post by oldguy » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:17 pm

My wife had a Golf R about 7 years ago. I had a Dodge Charger. I thought my car was fast. They Golf was unbelievably fast. Only had it for 2 years - sold it ( for more than we originally paid) when grandkids started to come. Still miss it.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:38 pm

He’s a question.

When you get a car repaired you are charged labor based on what “the book” says not the actual time. So “book” hours times shop rate - labor charge.

What exactly is “the book”? Where can I get one? Who decides how long it takes to do something?

Brakes are easy to figure. Mostly the same for all cars but say like an alternator…. Daughter used to drive grandpas old blazer. Alternator took me 15 minutes. There it was right when I opened the hood. I could almost work inside the compartment.

My frontier involves taking the passenger tire offf, and going through the fender. A bit longer.

Does each manufacturer have their own “book”?

Spark plugs can be easy and can be a chore.

gtl

Post by gtl » Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:20 am

Oldandfat wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:38 pm He’s a question.

When you get a car repaired you are charged labor based on what “the book” says not the actual time. So “book” hours times shop rate - labor charge.

What exactly is “the book”? Where can I get one? Who decides how long it takes to do something?

Brakes are easy to figure. Mostly the same for all cars but say like an alternator…. Daughter used to drive grandpas old blazer. Alternator took me 15 minutes. There it was right when I opened the hood. I could almost work inside the compartment.

My frontier involves taking the passenger tire offf, and going through the fender. A bit longer.

I used to use a "Haynes" manual to work on my car. It typically broke down everything with instructions/pictures/duration. I believe shops using something similar, where a standard is used.

Good example - in my first car (95 Nissan Maxima), spark plugs were a a pain in the ass. You could get to the front 3 pretty easily, but to get to the back 3, you had to take off the intake manifold. Well, to take off the intake manifold, you're talking about starting with the airbox, to the throttle body, to the IM. I lost a tiny little gasket on the EGR valve one time, did not realize it, and could not get my car to run for 2-3 days once after changing spark plugs. The IM also had a gasket that needed resealed, but more likely replaced if you open it up as well. So, there's additional time and parts cost there, too.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:23 am

Yeah, the manufacturers do have a book that assesses hours for various repairs, mainly to provide a limit for paying out on warranty work. I don’t know where you can find it. I think it’s all online now anyhow. If you can find an inside contact via a forum, sometimes they can tell you what the hours quote is for various jobs.

@gtl, the Bentley manuals are what most shops would use. The Haynes manuals often have errors.

PuddingFace

Post by PuddingFace » Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:57 am

Oldandfat wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:38 pm He’s a question.

Chilton has an online service that provides flat rates & repair documentation. Presumably subscription, and I don’t work in the industry so I haven’t seen it. My guess is their estimates would be differentiated by make/model an so forth to get accurate estimates due to differences as you suggest. If you search “Chilton Flat Rate Guide” you can find some vintage editions out there.