2022 Conditioning Party!!!!

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

alek

Re: 2022 Conditioning Party!!!!

Post by alek » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:25 pm

JohnHelton wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:14 am I'm starting to run again. I was a runner for 14 years before starting to lift. I was very average. Hoping to run a 3:15 800M this year. 800 because it is half a mile...and running a fast mile sucks. I jogged a mile the other day. Now I have weird stabilizer soreness. I'm so slow. This should be fun.
Good luck with your running. Half shitpost/half not shitpost. Running is gross…
OverheadDeadlifts wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:28 am As someone with basically 0 cardio background, my plan was to buy a sled and start doing some HIIT this year. Been reading a lot of BBM and nuckols stuff though and they’ve kinda sold me on going with LISS instead. Or at least to begin with. 30 mins once or twice a week at 130bpm on an air bike or something. Measured my RHR the other night and it was high 60’s so it’s not terrible. Or is it?

I’ve read a lot about the benefits of getting your aerobic fitness up with regards to feeling better, sleeping better, recovering better etc. Can anybody confirm?
I don’t have any citations, but I believe that building an aerobic base first is a good strategy; a terrible analogy would be something like LISS is like doing a long volume block before a strength & peaking block—where HIIT is the strength & peaking. It gets your body used to doing the work and builds work capacity to make you more “primed” for for the high intensity stuff.

Anecdotally, I do feel better, sleep better, and can recover better both intra- and interworkout when doing cardio; I just hate it so much… When I lived in the country and BC—before children—I loved cycling. Now that I’m a father and live “in the city”, I don’t do much cycling any more unless it’s with the kids or on a stationary bike.

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:38 pm

I guess I’m biased- because the only time I get to watch what I want to watch is when I’m on the treadmill. It took me a solid year of 3:1 or 4:1 run:walking before I built enough of a base where I could run at a reasonably slow pace to keep my heart rate in that zone 2 (sub 135)

That being said, the key to cardio compliance is finding a way to enjoy it. If I had more time/control over my time, all of my LISS would be hiking and backpacking, but for now that’s not feasible.
Hiking, or rucking if you’re tacticool, is supposedly easier in the joints than running, and the scenery is better.

GrainsAndGains

Post by GrainsAndGains » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:39 pm

OverheadDeadlifts wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:28 am As someone with basically 0 cardio background, my plan was to buy a sled and start doing some HIIT this year. Been reading a lot of BBM and nuckols stuff though and they’ve kinda sold me on going with LISS instead. Or at least to begin with. 30 mins once or twice a week at 130bpm on an air bike or something. Measured my RHR the other night and it was high 60’s so it’s not terrible. Or is it?

I’ve read a lot about the benefits of getting your aerobic fitness up with regards to feeling better, sleeping better, recovering better etc. Can anybody confirm?
There's a pretty good study that Barbell Medicine usually brings up when people ask about cardio that suggests a strong inverse relationship between cardiovascular health and mortality that seems pretty convincing.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamane ... le/2707428

As much as I wished it existed there's no similar study I'm aware of suggesting such a strong inverse relationship between mortality and getting your deadlift up to 500.

GrainsAndGains

Post by GrainsAndGains » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:44 pm

Rucking/backpacking rules. The only time my average resting heart rate ever dropped below 50 was two years ago when I was prepping for a backpacking trip. The only conditioning I did was HIIT with the prowler 1x a week for about 10-15 minutes, and a few hours of hiking every Sunday with a decently heavy pack (usually over 40#) plus short walks during the day whenever I could get a chance.

Weighted walking is cardio for people who despise cardio.

alek

Post by alek » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:45 pm

GrainsAndGains wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:39 pm As much as I wished it existed there's no similar study I'm aware of suggesting such a strong inverse relationship between mortality and getting your deadlift up to 500.
BBM does quote a study about strength and mortality in a recent podcast. If I remember correctly, the paper looked at bench press strength and leg press strength. The highest tertile/quartile was something like a bodyweight bench press and something like 300 pounds on the leg press.

@Austin may remember those numbers better.

Austin

Post by Austin » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:54 pm

alek wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:45 pm
GrainsAndGains wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:39 pm As much as I wished it existed there's no similar study I'm aware of suggesting such a strong inverse relationship between mortality and getting your deadlift up to 500.
BBM does quote a study about strength and mortality in a recent podcast. If I remember correctly, the paper looked at bench press strength and leg press strength. The highest tertile/quartile was something like a bodyweight bench press and something like 300 pounds on the leg press.

@Austin may remember those numbers better.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/labs/pmc/a ... MC2453303/

alek

Post by alek » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:15 pm

Austin wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:54 pm

Austin may remember those numbers better.
Awesome! Thanks!

asdf

Post by asdf » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:37 pm

alek wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:15 pm

Awesome! Thanks!
There's also this study showing a "significant negative association between baseline push-up capacity and incident cardiovascular disease risk across 10 years of follow-up. Participants able to complete more than 40 push-ups were associated with a significant reduction in incident cardiovascular disease event risk compared with those completing fewer than 10 push-ups."

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamane ... le/2724778

ColonelMoutarde

Post by ColonelMoutarde » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:20 am

asdf wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:37 pm
alek wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:15 pm

Awesome! Thanks!
There's also this study showing a "significant negative association between baseline push-up capacity and incident cardiovascular disease risk across 10 years of follow-up. Participants able to complete more than 40 push-ups were associated with a significant reduction in incident cardiovascular disease event risk compared with those completing fewer than 10 push-ups."

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamane ... le/2724778
Actually what I find most shocking about this study is the fact that the majority of firefighters are either overweight or obese.

OverheadDeadlifts

Post by OverheadDeadlifts » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:11 pm

alek wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:25 pm I don’t have any citations, but I believe that building an aerobic base first is a good strategy; a terrible analogy would be something like LISS is like doing a long volume block before a strength & peaking block—where HIIT is the strength & peaking. It gets your body used to doing the work and builds work capacity to make you more “primed” for for the high intensity stuff.

Anecdotally, I do feel better, sleep better, and can recover better both intra- and interworkout when doing cardio; I just hate it so much… When I lived in the country and BC—before children—I loved cycling. Now that I’m a father and live “in the city”, I don’t do much cycling any more unless it’s with the kids or on a stationary bike.
Those benefits sound pretty fantastic to me and the analogy makes sense. Even if it helps my recovery/sleep/feels a small amount I'd consider that a pretty big win in exchange for a relatively small time and energy investment.
augeleven wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:38 pm I guess I’m biased- because the only time I get to watch what I want to watch is when I’m on the treadmill. It took me a solid year of 3:1 or 4:1 run:walking before I built enough of a base where I could run at a reasonably slow pace to keep my heart rate in that zone 2 (sub 135)
I'll probably do it on a stationary bike or air bike which I'm hoping will make it easier to keep it in that zone since I can go glacially slow if I need to. I'm probably in the same boat that anything faster than walking would probably be too difficult to count as LISS at this stage.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:13 pm

OverheadDeadlifts wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:11 pm
alek wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:25 pm I don’t have any citations, but I believe that building an aerobic base first is a good strategy; a terrible analogy would be something like LISS is like doing a long volume block before a strength & peaking block—where HIIT is the strength & peaking. It gets your body used to doing the work and builds work capacity to make you more “primed” for for the high intensity stuff.

Those benefits sound pretty fantastic to me and the analogy makes sense. Even if it helps my recovery/sleep/feels a small amount I'd consider that a pretty big win in exchange for a relatively small time and energy investment.
I’ll parrot alek-

I sleep better and feel like I have better intra- and inter-workout recovery when I’m better conditioned.

I also think there’s a mental benefit to LISS; not just the meditative aspect, but it’s the exact opposite state of mind with lifting. I feel more calm/less anxious overall when I include some LISS.

OverheadDeadlifts

Post by OverheadDeadlifts » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:40 am

broseph wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:13 pm I also think there’s a mental benefit to LISS; not just the meditative aspect, but it’s the exact opposite state of mind with lifting. I feel more calm/less anxious overall when I include some LISS.
Yeah that aspect of it sounds nice as well and more fit for purpose as to why I’m doing cardio in the first place.

I just know HIIT would just end up being another ‘well, gotta beat last week’ sort of thing.

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:47 am

Two week update on my burpee challenge this month:
Original goals:
1) at least 25 burpee workouts
2) 1000 reps in
3) a 100 rep trial, preferably in 10 minutes

So far I’ve done 593 reps in 12 workouts, and I’m reasonably sure I’ll get to 100, although it may take longer than 10 minutes. Whatever, I’ll have a benchmark to meet.

The greyskull guy Johnny Pain has his strengthvillain challenges, of which the first is 100 burpees in 5 minutes
If his idea of a villain is Skeletor, I would be happy being Stinkor or even Buzz-off. It might be fun to set up a watered down mini boss versions of his strengthvillain challenges.
Here’s a thread with the of 5, and the expanded 20 challenges.
https://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/hea ... /98301581/

GrainsAndGains

Post by GrainsAndGains » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:21 am

OverheadDeadlifts wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:40 am
broseph wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:13 pm I also think there’s a mental benefit to LISS; not just the meditative aspect, but it’s the exact opposite state of mind with lifting. I feel more calm/less anxious overall when I include some LISS.
Yeah that aspect of it sounds nice as well and more fit for purpose as to why I’m doing cardio in the first place.

I just know HIIT would just end up being another ‘well, gotta beat last week’ sort of thing.
That's how I felt when I started doing HIIT but eventually you get over it. You progress for a bit and eventually hit a wall where it's so hard that just showing up to do it is a victory. You still get all the health benefits even if you aren't hitting records. I really need to start doing it again.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:05 am

augeleven wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:47 am The greyskull guy Johnny Pain has his strengthvillain challenges, of which the first is 100 burpees in 5 minutes
If his idea of a villain is Skeletor, I would be happy being Stinkor or even Buzz-off. It might be fun to set up a watered down mini boss versions of his strengthvillain challenges.
Here’s a thread with the of 5, and the expanded 20 challenges.
https://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/hea ... /98301581/
I followed him for a little while, and I remember some of these challenges. They all seem impossible.

Was the point just to make yourself try really hard, knowing the effort was futile?

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:05 am

@broseph Any thoughts on a good 10 minute KB workout for HIIT? It has been so long that I don't remember. X swings for a 10 min EMOM?

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:21 am

JohnHelton wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:05 am @broseph Any thoughts on a good 10 minute KB workout for HIIT? It has been so long that I don't remember. X swings for a 10 min EMOM?
No clue dude. I swear there was someone around here that was doing a bunch of conditioning with KB swings, but I don’t remember who.

Good luck with your low back pump cardio. ;)

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:30 am

I just got a couple kettlebells and have yet to really use them, but I’m planning doing a greyskull conditioning workout where you pick a number - they suggest 13, I’m gonna start with 8 - then do 8 swings and 8 burpees, rest a bit and do 7 of each etc.
after a couple weeks of EMOMs I’m probably going to start biasing towards higher rep sets, so maybe the ole 21,15,9 thing with two different exercises.
I like dumbbell snatches, but I don’t have the technique yet to snatch my 16kg bell without abusing my wrist.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:28 am

JohnHelton wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:05 am @broseph Any thoughts on a good 10 minute KB workout for HIIT? It has been so long that I don't remember. X swings for a 10 min EMOM?
Maybe break it into 2 x 5 min blocks (10 mins of just swings would get tedious).

Do 5 mins with ~20-25 swings emom (heavy enough that it's quite taxing, but not sloppy).

*Maybe start with 20-25 reps every 90 seconds for 7.5ish mins to keep mechanics from clusterfucking & work toward emom.*

Then a little 5 min circuit of other stuff (lunges, 1 leg rdl, getups, ab stuff, rows, snatches....maybe some bodyweight movements thrown in).

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:34 am

Hanley wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:28 am
Maybe break it into 2 x 5 min blocks (10 mins of just swings would get tedious).

Do 5 mins with ~20-25 swings emom (heavy enough that it's quite taxing, but not sloppy).

*Maybe start with 20-25 reps every 90 seconds for 7.5ish mins to keep mechanics from clusterfucking & work toward emom.*

Then a little 5 min circuit of other stuff (lunges, 1 leg rdl, getups, ab stuff, rows, snatches....maybe some bodyweight movements thrown in).
Thank you.