2022 Conditioning Party!!!!

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

hector

Re: 2022 Conditioning Party!!!!

Post by hector » Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:33 pm

augeleven wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:16 pm Me again.
Getting hip flexor niggles with the… not sure, but I’m blaming it on the leg blasters - could have been the light deadlift triples. Leg blasters down to twice a week.
I’m spring cleaning and found some room for overhead presses

New thing - Log “Grace”. Might be a good way to start off the morning.

Today was 65x28 in 2:08. Thought I did 30 but I was wrong.
Gonna +2.5 these if I get the reps in under 3 minutes
I’m also going to shoot for 33 reps since I can’t count anyway.
The goal is to keep this pushing that glycolytic window 2ish minutes, so I’m starting light and quick.
Max HR 156 -2 min cooldown HR 90. This seems wrong, but if it isn’t, LISS ftw
My hip flexors used to always f with me. Sometimes they would get aggravated and I'd have trouble doing things like lifting up my legs to get out of my car. PT said they were both tight and weak.
Started doing psoas curls and stretches. Made a world of difference. Since i started them a year ago I've had zero issues.

asdf

Post by asdf » Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:32 pm

hector wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:33 pm My hip flexors used to always f with me.
Started doing psoas curls and stretches. Made a world of difference. Since i started them a year ago I've had zero issues.
What's a psoas curl? Searching YouTube, I found these. Are either what you're talking about?

hector

Post by hector » Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:15 pm

asdf wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:32 pm
hector wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:33 pm My hip flexors used to always f with me.
What's a psoas curl? Searching YouTube, I found these. Are either what you're talking about?

The second one is almost what I do, and might be better.

I just do mine sitting on the edge of the bench. I put a dumbbell on my knee. Then I raise that knee up as high as I can. Make sure to lift from your knee and not to push off with your toes.

The video I saw, after my PT told me to do it, was with Ivan Djurik. (He has a show on YouTube called Squay Every Day.) He talks about how he learned to do it by seeing a Lakers trainer on TV making one of his players do it. Searched for a minute but could not find the video.

Also, I do mine between sets of bench. They dont intergere with recivery between sets and that way they add zero time to my workouts.

asdf

Post by asdf » Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:46 am

hector wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:15 pm [description of psoas curl]
Thanks for that detailed description. I was asking for my wife, and will share it with her.

hector

Post by hector » Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:04 am

asdf wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:46 am
hector wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:15 pm [description of psoas curl]
Thanks for that detailed description. I was asking for my wife, and will share it with her.
It has done wonders for me. I hope it helps her.

asdf

Post by asdf » Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:14 am

hector wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:04 am It has done wonders for me. I hope it helps her.
Thanks. By the way, I watched several of Ivan's videos, including one specifically about strengthening the psoas, but didn't see anything like what you described. In the psoas video, he was doing straight-leg sit-ups. If you happen to come across the video again, please share the link. Thanks again.

hector

Post by hector » Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:26 am

asdf wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:14 am
hector wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:04 am It has done wonders for me. I hope it helps her.
Thanks. By the way, I watched several of Ivan's videos, including one specifically about strengthening the psoas, but didn't see anything like what you described. In the psoas video, he was doing straight-leg sit-ups. If you happen to come across the video again, please share the link. Thanks again.
Yeah, I searched him too and couldn't find it. In the video he explicitly talks about how he learned the exercise by watching a Lakers trainer working with one of the Lakers. Annoying how video isn't yet as easily searchable as text. (With voice recognition you'd think YouTube would be better at this.)

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:43 am

asdf wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:14 am
I took a quick peek and couldn't find it either. I doubt it's gone completely from Youtube; some algorithms might've gotten jacked up.

The straight-leg situps make sense, though. They're like leg raises, in the vein that they both work the psoas directly by forcing rectus femoris into active insufficiency (with the extended knee).

ETA: around the 8:52 mark

brkriete

Post by brkriete » Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:07 pm

I've had some hip flexor issues. The two stretches that have helped me have been:

The classic "stand on one leg and pull your ankle up behind your butt" which I think is usually intended as a quad stretch but works great for the hip flexor.

and the "kneeling" stretch here:

https://myhealth.alberta.ca/Health/afte ... wid=bo1616

asdf

Post by asdf » Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:43 pm

Renascent wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:43 am ETA: around the 8:52 mark
Thanks for finding that! Will share with my wife. Knowing her, she'll try the curls AND the sit-ups.

asdf

Post by asdf » Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:44 pm

brkriete wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:07 pm two stretches that have helped me
Thanks! Will share those with her as well.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:43 pm

asdf wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:43 pm
Renascent wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:43 am ETA: around the 8:52 mark
Thanks for finding that! Will share with my wife. Knowing her, she'll try the curls AND the sit-ups.
I'm guilty of the same mindset as your wife. Time's the only enemy.

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:07 am

Back on it - Leg Blasters are now my Friday lower main movement, done first before my Bench stuff.
I’m keeping it to 4 sets and I’m gonna add reps. We’ll see

Also dropping an easy run day and working on 800s. Yesterday was 4x800 with 2 minutes of standstill rest. All my intervals are above 4 minutes. Gonna do these weekly for a bit and test my 5k in June. Apparently there’s a weekly free parkrun an hour away.

alek

Post by alek » Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:39 am

I watched this recently

and thought to myself, "I dislike running, but what do powerlifters/weightlifters do for conditioning that doesn't change fast twitch fibers to slow twitch fibers?" Alas, he doesn't answer that question in the video.

So, should I do things like KB swings and the like? I have nothing against LISS per se, and I know I should do more of it in general. But just wanted y'all's thoughts about it.

ETA

The tl;dw of the video is that unless your sport is running, then you should not run/jog for conditioning; you should do drills of your sport for conditioning, i.e. if you box, then do speed/heavy bag drills rather than jog. The conditioning should also make you better at your sport. Jogging likely doesn’t make you a better boxer.

So what conditioning drills make us better strength athletes?
Last edited by alek on Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dw

Post by dw » Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:05 pm

alek wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:39 am I watched this recently

and thought to myself, "I dislike running, but what do powerlifters/weightlifters do for conditioning that doesn't change fast twitch fibers to slow twitch fibers?" Alas, he doesn't answer that question in the video.

So, should I do things like KB swings and the like? I have nothing against LISS per se, and I know I should do more of it in general. But just wanted y'all's thoughts about it.

Didn't watch the video but...is fiber switching due to LISS really that substantial for someone who's only doing side conditioning work (as opposed to training for marathons or something)? That feels a little bro-sciencey.

alek

Post by alek » Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:00 pm

dw wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:05 pm
My

Didn't watch the video but...is fiber switching due to LISS really that substantial for someone who's only doing side conditioning work (as opposed to training for marathons or something)? That feels a little bro-sciencey.
Yeah, that might be. I posted that in a bit of haste. The tl;dw of the video is that unless your sport is running, then you should not run/jog for conditioning; you should do drills of your sport for conditioning, i.e. if you box, then do speed/heavy bag drills rather than jog. The conditioning should also make you better at your sport. Jogging likely doesn’t make you a better boxer.

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:43 am

@alek, I'm big on getting steps. I shoot for 10,000 per day. I supplement my normal routine with walking on the treadmill at 2-4% incline. Greg Nuckols has presented a lot of research backing this approach. I also find that time very relaxing.

alek

Post by alek » Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:54 am

JohnHelton wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:43 am alek, I'm big on getting steps. I shoot for 10,000 per day. I supplement my normal routine with walking on the treadmill at 2-4% incline. Greg Nuckols has presented a lot of research backing this approach. I also find that time very relaxing.
Hey John, that's about what I'm doing now. Since the start of the year, I've average right around 10,000 steps per day, mostly through my normal routine. And like you, if I go a couple days without much walking, I'll jump on the treadmill and walk to supplement. I'd like to increase that daily average to about 12,000 during the summer.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:48 am

ETA

The tl;dw of the video is that unless your sport is running, then you should not run/jog for conditioning; you should do drills of your sport for conditioning, i.e. if you box, then do speed/heavy bag drills rather than jog. The conditioning should also make you better at your sport. Jogging likely doesn’t make you a better boxer.

We are not actually strength athletes, though? I guess a few of us are.

I don't think there is anything special about running besides being a pretty fundamental human movement pattern, and something like an air bike is almost certainly better from a risk-reward ratio, and 10K steps is probably better from a health-promoting standpoint, but I need to chase my kid down a hill on his bike, so...

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:07 am

ETA

I saw that in my feed, but didn't watch it yet. I respect Mike, and generally enjoy the information he presents. I don't agree with this on it's face, without knowing the details, and I will explain why. There is such a thing as over specialization in training, and not everything is a direct benefit transaction. We avoided cardio in all it's forms when trainig for Strongman, and it wasn't just me and my training partner it was all SM that I knew from Hugo Girard to the guy the never won anything at a contest. There was some anaerobic conditioning work in the form of extended event stuff like Medley events being done repetetively for sets and Farmer's Walks for sets. In hindsight, that was stupid and a mistake. I got talked into cutting down to U105kg for some contests towards the end of my competing, and along with the super restrictive diet I did interval cardio on the treadmill for 45 mins a night and worked up to an hour with as much running as walking. It made no measueable difference in my strength (Nothing that I could not attribute to the weight loss anyway, I cut 45 real pounds in 3 months to be able to make weight with a water cut). It did make a huge difference in my medley ability, and in my OHP. It did not increase my OHP, but the conditioing lowered my BP and gave me the ability to not risk passing out on a heavy Clean. I sincerely doubt it had any serious effect on fibre conversion at all. my opinion changed, based on experience, that a minimum of cardio fitness is super beneficial for strength and probably has other health benefits that are difficult to document over the short term. Just being lean isn't the same as being in a healthy place cardio-vascularly, for performance as well as health.
That said, running marathons is probably a bad idea if hypertrophy or strength are your goals, but honestly they are probably a bad idea in general and an example of taking something too far and going from a positive activity to a negative one. Extremes are usually unhealthy in some way.