Jack stands

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

Oldandfat

Jack stands

Post by Oldandfat » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:36 pm

Looking to get a really nice pair of Jack stands to replace the old ones.

There’s the old standard “ratchet” type, where you lift the handle to release.

Usjack.com sells this type but it has a double pawl system and requires lifting up on the “thing” (I’m tired and can’t think) that slides up and down before you can release the pawl.

Then there’s the type that has a pin that slides through the “thing” instead of a pawl system.

Some have a,round base, some are 4 point base, some are 3 point base.

Then there’s this company:

http://www.jackpointjackstands.com/

Kinda pricey but I,think a great idea.

Recommendations?

Obviously not the harbor freight ones that don’t work.

mouse

Re: Jack stands

Post by mouse » Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:18 am

I mean I guess if it can be overthought it will be by somebody...

The hell is wrong with your 'old' jack stands that they need to be replaced?

I've owned exactly one pair so far in my entire life and I can't see why I'd need to replaced them unless I lose one or something.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:42 am

Only thing I’ll offer is that three point stands are usually more stable than four.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:55 am

mouse wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:18 am I mean I guess if it can be overthought it will be by somebody...

I've owned exactly one pair so far in my entire life and I can't see why I'd need to replaced them unless I lose one or something.
I feel like the "upgrade" from basic jack stands is a lift. I've also had the same jack stands my entire life. I did upgrade my floor jack from a crappy Menards one to a Harbor Freight low profile rapid pump one a few years ago, and that and a Milwaukee battery powered impact wrench made my bi-annual swap between summer/winter wheels a breeze on my truck.

mouse

Post by mouse » Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:46 pm

murphyreedus wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:55 am
mouse wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:18 am I mean I guess if it can be overthought it will be by somebody...

I feel like the "upgrade" from basic jack stands is a lift. I've also had the same jack stands my entire life. I did upgrade my floor jack from a crappy Menards one to a Harbor Freight low profile rapid pump one a few years ago, and that and a Milwaukee battery powered impact wrench made my bi-annual swap between summer/winter wheels a breeze on my truck.
This thread reminds me I really need a low-pro floor jack...

My old craftsman just barely clears the frame on my wife's van...
mgil wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:42 am Only thing I’ll offer is that three point stands are usually more stable than four.
They're all stable when they're jammed into a piece of plywood lol

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:00 pm

mgil wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:42 am Only thing I’ll offer is that three point stands are usually more stable than four.
Interesting. Why/how is that? My initial thought is 4 is better? What about the round based ones?

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:04 pm

murphyreedus wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:55 am

Are you talking actual obsessed garage type lift, or something like a quick Jack? Quickjack would be real slick. Winter changeover would be awesome as would my bi annual polish/detail.

I’ve always hand wrenched my tires. Occasionally I’ll air wrench them off but always put ‘em on by hand.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:41 pm

Oldandfat wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:00 pm
Interesting. Why/how is that? My initial thought is 4 is better? What about the round based ones?
Three points define a plane. As such, a tripod will usually keep all feet in contact with the ground whereas a quadropod will often have one foot that’s lifting on ground that isn’t flat.

Reference:
http://theohiobeacon.com/articles/3-legged-stool/

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:11 pm

mgil wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:41 pm
Oldandfat wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:00 pm
Three points define a plane. As such, a tripod will usually keep all feet in contact with the ground whereas a quadropod will often have one foot that’s lifting on ground that isn’t flat.

Reference:
http://theohiobeacon.com/articles/3-legged-stool/
Makes sense to me. With all the new tech and fancy schmancy, sometimes all ya need is a 3 legged stool.

Kinda similar to flat weight benches with longer legs at the head and real short at the feet. Kinda “3 point”.

Wouldn’t 4 point be better on absolute level floor? My garage is sloped for drain

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:33 pm

3 vs 4 depends on the size of the feet and whatnot.

I think it’s easier to manufacture 4 sided things, so we get lots of 4 sided objects.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:58 am

Oldandfat wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:04 pm Are you talking actual obsessed garage type lift, or something like a quick Jack? Quickjack would be real slick.
Either, really, but the quick jack would be more efficient for occasional use.
I’ve always hand wrenched my tires. Occasionally I’ll air wrench them off but always put ‘em on by hand.
I start the nuts on by hand and then give them one ugga dugga (or at least the battery powered equivalent) so they're *just* snug, then I finish with a torque wrench.