Bench FC

Ask questions, post videos, help others not screw up

Moderators: mgil, d0uevenlift

5hout

Bench FC

Post by 5hout » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:48 am

Having asked about a thumb pain issue I then promptly took a break from benching for hunting season/recover from thumb pain. Over the years I've had right shoulder pain and then recently the thumb pain. I've moderated my touch point to about 1 bar's width below the nipples, which is substantially higher than my old touch point (bar using a WL bar path app now goes down more than it goes over, before was a 45 degree line. Bar path is still straight, need to work on it). Because of the lack of bench volume I'm in a weird place where I go from snappy to stapled really quick, either 1 extra rep or a few extra lbs.

Thoughts (2 videos).
EDIT to see if it fixes link (will have to copy and paste)
imgur.com/a/Q40fe47#SImhR5L
Last edited by 5hout on Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Re: Bench FC

Post by mgil » Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:45 am

5hout wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:48 am Thoughts (2 videos).
The videos aren’t working for me but it might be my current connection.

Question: Did you change your grip width while modifying your form?

5hout

Post by 5hout » Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:55 am

mgil wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:45 am
5hout wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:48 am Thoughts (2 videos).
The videos aren’t working for me but it might be my current connection.

Question: Did you change your grip width while modifying your form?
Argh, edited the link to see if that fixes it. I initially did not change my grip width, but post thumb pain I did. i.e. changed touch point, got thumb pain, took break, came back with new touch point and slightly closer grip.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:03 am

5hout wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:48 am Having asked about a thumb pain issue I then promptly took a break from benching for hunting season/recover from thumb pain. Over the years I've had right shoulder pain and then recently the thumb pain. I've moderated my touch point to about 1 bar's width below the nipples, which is substantially higher than my old touch point (bar using a WL bar path app now goes down more than it goes over, before was a 45 degree line. Bar path is still straight, need to work on it). Because of the lack of bench volume I'm in a weird place where I go from snappy to stapled really quick, either 1 extra rep or a few extra lbs.

Thoughts (2 videos).

I don't fully understand what it is that you are trying to say here. The bar is making a substantial voyage horizontally on your lifts, which I'm guessing os somewhat intentional from what you typed. Are you shooting for a J-hook groove and not getting it? You are making extremely heavy use of the stretch reflex in a dynamic way, it's like a dive-bomb bench, and you don't look braced or tight around the shoulders or upper back. That bench moves more than Shakira's hips, which isn't a good combination to have with your high speed reps and long horizontal travel. You might consider slowing down the eccentric and focussing on putting the explosion into the concentric. Bar path is a personal choice to experiment with, but maybe you are just suited to have a straight bar path which means driving it up instead of over your face, which would be the Westside approach.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:01 am

Hardartery wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:03 am
I don't fully understand what it is that you are trying to say here. The bar is making a substantial voyage horizontally on your lifts, which I'm guessing os somewhat intentional from what you typed. Are you shooting for a J-hook groove and not getting it? You are making extremely heavy use of the stretch reflex in a dynamic way, it's like a dive-bomb bench, and you don't look braced or tight around the shoulders or upper back. That bench moves more than Shakira's hips, which isn't a good combination to have with your high speed reps and long horizontal travel. You might consider slowing down the eccentric and focussing on putting the explosion into the concentric. Bar path is a personal choice to experiment with, but maybe you are just suited to have a straight bar path which means driving it up instead of over your face, which would be the Westside approach.
Slowed down today (WL app reports .5 m/s down from a shade over .6 m/s). Tightened up nuts and bolts (literally), many were only finger tight. It's crazy what you can get used to a little bit at a time. Going to just go with slower reps and change nothing else for a bit, see how that goes. Noticeably easier to get/stay tight when slow.

Thanks both!

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:38 am

Definitely slower reps with a tighter upper back should help.

In my experience, the narrower the grip, the more horizontal travel the barbell will have in the bench. This can be controlled somewhat with keeping the lats tight and locked and making the elbows do most of the extension. Always try to keep your shoulders back.

KarlM

Post by KarlM » Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:17 pm

Hardartery wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:03 am ***it's like a dive-bomb bench, and you don't look braced or tight around the shoulders or upper back***
That's what I immediately noticed as well. You don't look tight at all. IME, if you don't really pack your shoulders onto the bench, and do the cliché get-your-lats-tight thing, you're gonna have shoulder pain at some point. I've also found that strongly internally rotating my hands while holding the bar prior to lift off really helps with general overall upper body tightness. FWIW