Car repairs…. What’s reasonable, what’s not?

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

Oldandfat

Re: Car repairs…. What’s reasonable, what’s not?

Post by Oldandfat » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:42 pm

mettkeks wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:54 am
Oldandfat wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:38 pm Yup, it’s an auto tensioner. So it’s bs that I “should” replace it with the belt? Obviously rock trying to upsell.

Then again, with my history of control arms wearing out each month……..

I can easily replace belt/tensioner/pulley.
You misunderstood me there. Automatic tensioners will wear out over time. Usually the spring loses tension. This will cause the belt to slip and wear earlier. They don't need to be replaced everytime If your family would have to starve for a month, but they're like $15 and no extra labour so you're better off replacing both belt and tensioner.
Makes sense. I’ll replace it.

My family doesn’t eat much

EggMcMuffin

Post by EggMcMuffin » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:02 pm

I want to paint my Miata because it looks like absolute dogshit but I feel like there are better things to spend $2000 on as a broke college kid but when I try to think of better things I can't really think of anything. I've had people tell me "save for the future" but I think that's bullshit lol

mettkeks

Post by mettkeks » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:50 am

LoudMuffin wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:02 pm I want to paint my Miata because it looks like absolute dogshit but I feel like there are better things to spend $2000 on as a broke college kid but when I try to think of better things I can't really think of anything. I've had people tell me "save for the future" but I think that's bullshit lol
Rule Nr. 1 in shitbox culture: Embrace the shitbox.
Rule Nr.2: If you don't want to spend lots of money polishing a turd, just by some shiny parts to bolt onto it so you can feel better about the junk.

Is it your daily? I don't care about the optics of my daily. It needs to work properly, also means less work washing it all the time. If it's a project, do what you have to.

Edit: Even shitbox miatas are swag.