The Anxiety Thread

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

DCR

The Anxiety Thread

Post by DCR » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:57 pm

We can start with flying, which I’ll be doing tomorrow despite every fiber of my being resisting. Tips?

Telling me that it’s the safest way to travel and that my car is far more dangerous doesn’t help. I control my car, and it doesn’t ride ten thousand feet above hard ground.

Usually I remind myself that the airline staff do this shit every day of the year, so I should just stop being a pussy.

Oldandfat

Re: The Anxiety Thread

Post by Oldandfat » Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:07 pm

You are more likely to die in a car crash driving to the air port than you are flying.

I know it doesn’t help, but stats are stats.

Worst is take off and landing (it was for my first time…. This is your first right?).

Maybe air pods and some good tunes? Maybe some gravol? (Canadian name brand for anti,nausea that mom used to give us as kids (which I suppose,explains a lot ) helps to calm nerves).

Don’t,recommend,alcohol but I don’t drink because I have drinking issues and I last drank 30 years ago. Cops showed up the next day and said I had 1 hour to return the vending machine (on my front lawn) or I’d be charged with theft.

To,this day I have no fucking idea how the vending machine got there.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:09 pm

You can control your car but there’s a lot of asshole,drivers out there. Add cellphones and it’s not good.

If you see a pickup truck with a vending machine drive the other way

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:13 pm

@DCR, I usually download some movies from Netflix to my iPhone or something, I have some Bose noise cancelling knockoff headphones from Amazon, and I have a buttload of chewy ginger candies at the ready.

DCR

Post by DCR » Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:20 pm

Oldandfat wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:07 pm Worst is take off and landing (it was for my first time…. This is your first right?).
No, I’ve flown a ton. Was always good with it until a few years ago when I turned 40 and suddenly had all sorts of frustrating anxieties that I never had before.

Vending machine on a pick up… noted lol.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:43 pm

Good ear buds of some kind. I have a few pairs of Skullcandy because they are cheap and block out everything, even though I don't think they are advertised as noise cancelling. Something to read. Preferably something engaging but not too exciting, or if you go the movie route the same. You don't need crashed and explosions if you are nervous about flying. I fly frequently, and have been on some less than top notch airlines, and somehow no major problems other than thieving from the checked bags once.

Brackish

Post by Brackish » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:10 pm

DCR wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:57 pm We can start with flying, which I’ll be doing tomorrow despite every fiber of my being resisting. Tips?

Telling me that it’s the safest way to travel and that my car is far more dangerous doesn’t help. I control my car, and it doesn’t ride ten thousand feet above hard ground.

Usually I remind myself that the airline staff do this shit every day of the year, so I should just stop being a pussy.
Last time I had to fly, I took a Xanax a half hour before the flight and every half hour during the flight. Honestly, it didn't help, but I slept great when I got where I was going. Fuck flying. And fuck anyone who says it's safer than driving in a car. If a car crashes, and I live, I walk away from it. If a boat sinks, I swim away. If a plane decides to fall out of the sky, you're fucked. TSA frowns on people flying with a parachute as their carry on. I'm 100% with you.

GlasgowJock

Post by GlasgowJock » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:20 am

mgil wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:13 pm @DCR, I usually download some movies from Netflix to my iPhone or something, I have some Bose noise cancelling knockoff headphones from Amazon, and I have a buttload of chewy ginger candies at the ready.
I'd maybe avoid downloading the first Final Destination or Knowing though :)

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:16 am

GlasgowJock wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:20 am
mgil wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:13 pm DCR, I usually download some movies from Netflix to my iPhone or something, I have some Bose noise cancelling knockoff headphones from Amazon, and I have a buttload of chewy ginger candies at the ready.
I'd maybe avoid downloading the first Final Destination or Knowing though :)
True!

I usually download episodic material of some genre and doze off at some point with no regrets.

There is one flight I had been taking quite a bit. It was a southwest flight and it was typically a 45 minute flight. That was about the time span in terms of flying.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:25 am

mgil wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:13 pm @DCR, I usually download some movies from Netflix to my iPhone or something, I have some Bose noise cancelling knockoff headphones from Amazon, and I have a buttload of chewy ginger candies at the ready.
This ^. I have the Sony's. Just get in your seat, put on your tunes, and tune it all out.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:26 am

This ^. I have the Sony's. Just get in your seat, put on your tunes, and tune it all out.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:05 pm

Brackish wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:10 pmAnd fuck anyone who says it's safer than driving in a car.
Blowing out my candle of sound risk assessment won't make your candle of batshit craziness burn brighter.

#

@DCR: psilocybin for anxiety related shit, brah. I've tried...just about every intervention. Nothing comes remotely close.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:38 pm

Brackish wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:10 pm
DCR wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:57 pm We can start with flying, which I’ll be doing tomorrow despite every fiber of my being resisting. Tips?

Last time I had to fly, I took a Xanax a half hour before the flight and every half hour during the flight. Honestly, it didn't help, but I slept great when I got where I was going. Fuck flying. And fuck anyone who says it's safer than driving in a car. If a car crashes, and I live, I walk away from it. If a boat sinks, I swim away. If a plane decides to fall out of the sky, you're fucked. TSA frowns on people flying with a parachute as their carry on. I'm 100% with you.
But at the end of the day your chances of dying I. A plane crash are far less than a car. You don’t always walk away from a car crash. A lot of times if you do, you’d wished you,actually died.

EggMcMuffin

Post by EggMcMuffin » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:41 pm

People make me pretty fucking nervous. I've considered alchoholism to deal with it. I feel like I wasn't socialized properly as a kid or something because I've always felt profoundly uncomfortable around other people, and it's not like a social anxiety thing where I can't be around people without panicking. I just feel an incredible sense of disquiet, not unlike riding in a plane and realizing you're in a metal coffin up in the sky

Hanley wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:05 pm
Brackish wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:10 pmAnd fuck anyone who says it's safer than driving in a car.
@DCR: psilocybin for anxiety related shit, brah. I've tried...just about every intervention. Nothing comes remotely close.
oh shit you're a shroomer

SquatsALot

Post by SquatsALot » Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:01 pm

I get big time anxiety around flying, not because of safety or any fear of being in the air, but being stuck in a metal can and not being able to have freedom of movement or be in control. These days, I:

1) Only schedule flights in the afternoon, or as late as possible in the day when I get less generally anxious about doing 'scheduled' events
2) Show up 2 hours before, drink 2 glasses of red wine, which usually makes me stop giving a shit
3) Snag first class tickets when I can, they let you do whatever the F you want up there, sometimes only a $200 upgrade and worth every penny to remove that existential dread of mine

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:05 pm

LoudMuffin wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:41 pm oh shit you're a shroomer
Nah. Just a single, very powerful experience many years ago.

But I'm definitely an evangelist.

DCR

Post by DCR » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:53 am

@Hanley, can you explain the experience at all, and how it resulted in reduced anxiety? I’m curious because your experience tracks with what many others have felt, but my two sessions with mushrooms were horrific. The first time did include a half hour or so period of enlightenment that was incredible, but unfortunately what stayed with me was the other several hours of terror and paranoia. The second time didn’t have any “good” period at all. That all said, I have considered a regimen of micro-dosing and thought that might be what you were doing until you clarified otherwise.

chrisd

Post by chrisd » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:01 am

Hanley wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:05 pm
Blowing out my candle of sound risk assessment won't make your candle of batshit craziness burn brighter.

#

DMT for a short flight ? STP for long haul ?

chrisd

Post by chrisd » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:04 am

Just waiting for the headlines "Man removed from flight after shouting 'Werewolves everywhere, they're werewolves! coming out of the airvents.'"

Culican

Post by Culican » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:22 am