Calling Mac/computer nerds

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

Oldandfat

Calling Mac/computer nerds

Post by Oldandfat » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:47 pm

Just got my new Mac mini m1. Love it except I can’t get it to sleep. I’ve tried everything google threw at me. Still no go. Maybe it’s an issue with apple silicone?

Also noticed my display is now making a noise and a few times trying to sleep the system my display went to “snow” and I had to reboot.

Mac issue? Display issue? Connection issue? (Had to use hdmi to dvi adaptor) also not sure if the noise was always there (mini is dead silent so I hear lots of things I couldn’t because of previous Mac fan noise)

Display is a Samsung from 2004 ish. Might be time to upgrade??

Manveer
M3N4C3

Re: Calling Mac/computer nerds

Post by Manveer » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:26 pm

Probably not related to the M1 chip.

Did you try all of the suggestions here?
https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-hel ... 20or%20off.

If your display is from 2004, could be causing the noise/snow. Modern displays are so much more energy efficient that it might be worth upgrading just to reduce power usage (may pay for itself after several years depending on the monitor you get and your electricity rates).

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:15 pm

Not the first I have heard of Mac M1 computers having issues with older monitors. Might be time to upgrade.

Lot of good Black Friday sales on Monitors right now.

JonA

Post by JonA » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:28 pm

Oldandfat wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:47 pm Display is a Samsung from 2004 ish. Might be time to upgrade??
HDMI to DVI is what is causing your problems. 2004 was probably analog DVI at 4:3 @ 1024x768?, which is why you are seeing snow.

Upgrade your monitor. Using your old one is like spraying some matte Rustoleum on your nice new car.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:29 pm

Manveer wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:26 pm Probably not related to the M1 chip.

Did you try all of the suggestions here?
https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-hel ... 20or%20off.

If your display is from 2004, could be causing the noise/snow. Modern displays are so much more energy efficient that it might be worth upgrading just to reduce power usage (may pay for itself after several years depending on the monitor you get and your electricity rates).
Did all that. It sleeps for about 2 seconds, then comes back to life. Apparently they don’t sleep like the old ones (white led would dim, and shine while in sleep).

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:55 pm

JonA wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:28 pm
Oldandfat wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:47 pm Display is a Samsung from 2004 ish. Might be time to upgrade??
HDMI to DVI is what is causing your problems. 2004 was probably analog DVI at 4:3 @ 1024x768?, which is why you are seeing snow.

Upgrade your monitor. Using your old one is like spraying some matte Rustoleum on your nice new car.
All I can tell you it was being fed from a 2007 Mac Pro. No idea on resolutions, etc.

Do you think this is also causing the non sleep issues? What about studio monitor (speaker)problems?

What would you recommend? I don’t do any photo/video and just Logic Pro audio stuff. Not sure about resolutions, 4K, ultra this, ultra that.

Not even sure if I should go bigger (current is 24”) or not. Currently when I maximize a browser it just fills the space with “stuff”. The web pages don’t get bigger.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:04 pm

Just an update. Display still makes the noise when mini is off. Still makes noise when hdmi cable is removed from mini. I think it’s just my display? I just didn’t notice it due to fan noise, or perhaps coincidently it just started making the noise.

Or something in the m1 is making the noise ?

JonA

Post by JonA » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:50 am

Probably a power supply going bad for the monitor. The usual problem is that capacitors that help regulate the power supply start to fail, causing noises due to poor regulation and problems waking/turning on.

If you are doing audio stuff, it's worth it to upgrade to a standard 16:9 (wide) monitor. The extra horizontal space will be quite nice. Just about any 1080p monitor will be a huge upgrade. As @aurelius says, there are a lot of great deals right now.

Root
Grillmaster

Post by Root » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:51 am

Verify that the Mini will work with a newer monitor by testing it using your TV as a monitor. Then you can feel confident that your issues are due to the old monitor and proceed to upgrade it.

If you don't feel like you need more screen real estate than your 24", just stick with a 24" and save some money.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:48 am

Oldandfat wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:55 pmNot even sure if I should go bigger (current is 24”) or not. Currently when I maximize a browser it just fills the space with “stuff”. The web pages don’t get bigger.
Definitely go bigger. 32" is life changing.
Definitely go curved. It is subtle but make noticeable difference.
Definitely go HDR. Do you like colors?
Definitely go a minimum of 120hz. The increase in framerates makes a big difference. Monitors are not TVs.
Definitely go with a low response rate. sub 5 ms
Definitely go QHD. XXXX x 1440. 4K almost makes zero difference and is hard on the hardware. 1440 is a huge upgrade over 1080.

This will give you a 'future' proof monitor that is good to great for a broad range of uses. Dell has some good deals on monitors meeting these requirements.

27"
https://deals.dell.com/en-us/productdet ... 74QffdpWbO

32" This is probably your best bang for your buck. I have the same monitor (last year's model). Basically a 'steal' at this price:

34"

I'm trying super hard not to buy this one (definitely a want not need):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088H ... vnXlPGtreK
Last edited by aurelius on Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:51 am

Root wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:51 amIf you don't feel like you need more screen real estate than your 24", just stick with a 24" and save some money.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:38 am

aurelius wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:48 am
Oldandfat wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:55 pmNot even sure if I should go bigger (current is 24”) or not. Currently when I maximize a browser it just fills the space with “stuff”. The web pages don’t get bigger.
Definitely go bigger. 32" is life changing.
Definitely go curved. It is subtle but make noticeable difference.
Definitely go HDR. Do you like colors?
Definitely go a minimum of 120hz. The increase in framerates makes a big difference. Monitors are not TVs.
Definitely go with a low response rate. sub 5 ms
Definitely go QHD. XXXX x 1440. 4K almost makes zero difference and is hard on the hardware. 1440 is a huge upgrade over 1080.

This will give you a 'future' proof monitor that is good to great for a broad range of uses. Dell has some good deals on monitors meeting these requirements.

27"

32" This is probably your best bang for your buck. I have the same monitor (last year's model). Basically a 'steal' at this price:

34"

I'm trying super hard not to buy this one (definitely a want not need):
My mini (hdmi2) supports 60hz. Would a 125hz be a waste? Or like you say future proof? I.e the display,will use what my mini outputs, and if/when I get a better Mac I’ll be good to go?

My mini supports 6k@60hz via thunderbolt and 4k@60hz via hdmi2.

I have no idea what that means, what to buy, etc. I usually go to Best Buy and whatever they say to get, I get.

1440 over 1080? What,does that mean? How is 4K hard on hardware?

JonA

Post by JonA » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:00 am

aurelius wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:48 am I'm trying super hard not to buy this one (definitely a want not need):
I got a Monoprice monitor with that exact same display panel last year to replace a multi monitor setup for my work. It is awesome.

I'm currently using it with a 2019 Macbook Pro but it was a bit hacky, since the native resolutions/refresh and aspect ratio weren't supported out of the box for Big Sur. Worked flawless with my linux laptop tough. Windows too.

I'd be willing to hunch that an M1 mac would have some issues with it as well. I vaguely recall issues with the HDMI output being limited to 4k@60hz or something lame.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:04 am

Oldandfat wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:38 amMy mini (hdmi2) supports 60hz. Would a 125hz be a waste? Or like you say future proof? I.e the display,will use what my mini outputs, and if/when I get a better Mac I’ll be good to go?

I have no idea what that means, what to buy, etc. I usually go to Best Buy and whatever they say to get, I get.

Really only supports 60hz? Apple...

Back on track. Regarding resolution:

HD is 1080 resolution
QHD is 1440 resolution (even most streaming that claims 4K is really QHD)
4K is 2160 resolution (the general rule of thumb is 4k is noticeable on 55" and larger TV's. Smaller resolutions and not so much.)

Discussing an image your computer generates NOT streaming: As you increase the resolution of an image, the processing requirements increase exponentially because the computer generates every pixel on the image. And your computer is generating an image for each frame. 60hz is 60 frames per second. 120hz is 120 frames per second. You can see how this can quickly tax even the most high-end computer systems.

For streaming 60 hz is fine. For other applications, higher frame rates are preferable (high end gaming rigs use monitors at 240 hz). Modern monitors can offer variable frame rates. So a 144 hz monitor can run at 60 hz. But a 60 hz can't run 144 hz.

There is a more niche market for 60hz monitors that offer ultra clear images (very expensive) that is mainly for content creators.

My philosophy with computers and monitors is to buy premium up front. This is something that will last me 3-4 years (with upgrades). Buying just what I need now has always been something I regret as I find myself looking to update in 6 months. And there are regularly great deals on computers and monitors.

A cheap 4K monitor is $150-$200. The $340 (Black Friday sale) for that 32" Dell monitor's native is 1440p but will run 4k.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:06 am

JonA wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:00 amI got a Monoprice monitor with that exact same display panel last year to replace a multi monitor setup for my work. It is awesome.
Jealous. I'm trying to convince my work of the superiority of larger monitors versus the dual monitor setup.

Seriously, I have never heard anyone say, "I don't like my big monitor. I really wish it was smaller." I think it is like TV's. Once you got your first large flat screen there is no downsizing after that.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:16 am

aurelius wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:04 am
Oldandfat wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:38 amMy mini (hdmi2) supports 60hz. Would a 125hz be a waste? Or like you say future proof? I.e the display,will use what my mini outputs, and if/when I get a better Mac I’ll be good to go?

Really only supports 60hz? Apple...

Back on track. Regarding resolution:

HD is 1080 resolution
QHD is 1440 resolution (even most streaming that claims 4K is really QHD)
4K is 2160 resolution (the general rule of thumb is 4k is noticeable on 55" and larger TV's. Smaller resolutions and not so much.)

Discussing an image your computer generates NOT streaming: As you increase the resolution of an image, the processing requirements increase exponentially because the computer generates every pixel on the image. And your computer is generating an image for each frame. 60hz is 60 frames per second. 120hz is 120 frames per second. You can see how this can quickly tax even the most high-end computer systems.

For streaming 60 hz is fine. For other applications, higher frame rates are preferable (high end gaming rigs use monitors at 240 hz). Modern monitors can offer variable frame rates. So a 144 hz monitor can run at 60 hz. But a 60 hz can't run 144 hz.

There is a more niche market for 60hz monitors that offer ultra clear images (very expensive) that is mainly for content creators.

My philosophy with computers and monitors is to buy premium up front. This is something that will last me 3-4 years (with upgrades). Buying just what I need now has always been something I regret as I find myself looking to update in 6 months. And there are regularly great deals on computers and monitors.

A cheap 4K monitor is $150-$200. The $340 (Black Friday sale) for that 32" Dell monitor's native is 1440p but will run 4k.
In my dumbness what I took from this:

Unless I’m using my mini with a 55” display I don’t need 4K and mini won’t work as hard

1080p is ok. 1440 (qhd) is much better, easy on the mini, and I won’t see the difference from 4K unless 55” or bigger.

Hz is backwards compatible so I should buy a higher refresh rate so that when I upgrade my Mac……

No point in a Thunderbolt Display (6k @60hz) unless display is 55” or bigger

I always thought a bigger display needed more resolution. Does it matter going from 24” display to a 32” display?

The point of a bigger display is to have multiple apps open?

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:37 am

Oldandfat wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:16 amIn my dumbness what I took from this:

Unless I’m using my mini with a 55” display I don’t need 4K and mini won’t work as hard

1080p is ok. 1440 (qhd) is much better, easy on the mini, and I won’t see the difference from 4K unless 55” or bigger.

Hz is backwards compatible so I should buy a higher refresh rate so that when I upgrade my Mac……

I always thought a bigger display needed more resolution. Does it matter going from 24” display to a 32” display?

This can be a surprisingly complex topic that I am grossly simplifying.

Resolution: 4K, 6K and 8K is bullshit. And will be for another decade. Why? Because the majority of the US (and world) does not have internet speeds that will support media at those resolutions. And the infrastructure needed to support that at scale is not in place. The quality of the media streaming is somewhere between 1080p or QHD.

It was a bit misleading regarding the 55" TV. People normally are 8' or greater from a TV. Making 4K pointless on smaller than 55" screens. People are ~2-3' from monitors. I don't see a big difference but that could be with the above.

If you are big on physical media (you own hard copies), the you can get 4K, 6K, and 8K media.

We are discussing resolution in shorthand. Not the actual pixels in the screen. so HD, QHD, 4K, 6K, and 8K all provide a set resolution in a set area.

Framerate: conventional wisdom is 24 fps is enough. It's not. Especially for a monitor and how close people sit to monitors. 60hz is the minimum. I see a big difference between 60hz and 120hz. This is a preference thing.

Screen Size: This is preference but yes, more real estate allows for multiple apps. I am an engineer and most offices I have worked in have dual monitor setups(2-22" or 24" monitors). I bought my 32" to work at home. I prefer the 32" over the dual monitor setup. There are some pretty cool snap tools that let you put apps in different sized windows in your screen. And who doesn't want to watch media/games/view images on a bigger screen! Can change the experience significantly.

Example: the main advantage of a console was to game on your TV. Especially after the availability of large flat screens. But now, with a 32" monitor, I prefer to game on my monitor versus TV. My PS5 is collecting dust.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:47 am

aurelius wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:37 am
Oldandfat wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:16 amIn my dumbness what I took from this:

This can be a surprisingly complex topic that I am grossly simplifying.

Resolution: 4K, 6K and 8K is bullshit. And will be for another decade. Why? Because the majority of the US (and world) does not have internet speeds that will support media at those resolutions. And the infrastructure needed to support that at scale is not in place. The quality of the media streaming is somewhere between 1080p or QHD.

It was a bit misleading regarding the 55" TV. People normally are 8' or greater from a TV. Making 4K pointless on smaller than 55" screens. People are ~2-3' from monitors. I don't see a big difference but that could be with the above.

If you are big on physical media (you own hard copies), the you can get 4K, 6K, and 8K media.

We are discussing resolution in shorthand. Not the actual pixels in the screen. so HD, QHD, 4K, 6K, and 8K all provide a set resolution in a set area.

Framerate: conventional wisdom is 24 fps is enough. It's not. Especially for a monitor and how close people sit to monitors. 60hz is the minimum. I see a big difference between 60hz and 120hz. This is a preference thing.

Screen Size: This is preference but yes, more real estate allows for multiple apps. I am an engineer and most offices I have worked in have dual monitor setups(2-22" or 24" monitors). I bought my 32" to work at home. I prefer the 32" over the dual monitor setup. There are some pretty cool snap tools that let you put apps in different sized windows in your screen. And who doesn't want to watch media/games/view images on a bigger screen! Can change the experience significantly.

Example: the main advantage of a console was to game on your TV. Especially after the availability of large flat screens. But now, with a 32" monitor, I prefer to game on my monitor versus TV. My PS5 is collecting dust.
Are all 32” monitors 16:9? Some list it in their descriptions, some don’t. Do I need it?

There’s some 3440x1440 displays. Yes/no? Or is 2560x1440 enough?

Best Buy has the 32” dell you linked in stock ready for pick up. 400 CDN. Half price. Should I just go buy the damn thing?

My daughter is Leary of a curved monitor, and other than “ I haven’t heard anything good” she didn’t really have a reason.

What does a curved display do that a flat won’t?

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:49 am

I’ll add that I use my computer to run Logic Pro, and to learn/play/practice guitar, and piano. While I’m at the computer I’ll check email, etc.

I don’t game, or watch anything other than some you tube videos on the pc.

Tv I use the big screen and to be honest most of my email/browsing is on the iPad

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:05 am

Oldandfat wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:47 amBest Buy has the 32” dell you linked in stock ready for pick up. 400 CDN. Half price. Should I just go buy the damn thing?
Yes.

My only caveat is Apple. Apple has a history of not playing well with others (essentially forcing you to buy there overpriced stuff). I don't like Apple. But the Dell monitor is a good monitor and I can't think of a reason it would not work with your computer.
Oldandfat wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:47 amMy daughter is Leary of a curved monitor, and other than “ I haven’t heard anything good” she didn’t really have a reason.

What does a curved display do that a flat won’t?
Keep in mind how close you sit to the monitor versus a TV screen. The curve better matches the curvature of your eye. Which helps keep more of the screen within your 'focal' point. As the screen gets bigger (and wider) this becomes more important. Also may reduce eye fatigue.

Curvature of your eye is 1000R. The 32" Dell monitor is 1800R (so a slight curve). If you look at the monstrosity I want that is so wide it has 1000R curvature to match the actual curvature of your eye.

See? It gets complicated.
Oldandfat wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:49 am I’ll add that I use my computer to run Logic Pro, and to learn/play/practice guitar, and piano. While I’m at the computer I’ll check email, etc.

I don’t game, or watch anything other than some you tube videos on the pc.

Tv I use the big screen and to be honest most of my email/browsing is on the iPad
A larger screen will increase your enjoyment of other activities. I bet you will find more ways to use your computer with a larger screen.
Last edited by aurelius on Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.