Do I need a new rack? If yes, what?

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Re: Do I need a new rack? If yes, what?

Post by mgil » Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:32 am

Oldandfat wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:55 pm
mgil wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:02 pmGotcha.
What do you have? The pro,series,legend?
I have the 3171:

gtl

Post by gtl » Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:04 am

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:12 am

murphyreedus wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:56 am
mbasic wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:05 am
My gym has some wanna-be-gucci 4" sq. tube fancy uprights, with "L" cut slots for the J-cups.
The out-to-out dimension must be a lot wider than every thing I've used.
That dimension also controls how wide the safety arms are ... my son has hit the safeties (with the bottom of the plates) on a couple occasions going down on a deep squat .... even when we set them at the maximum-low setting to simply get them out of the way. Wide racks are retarded.
I have also bumped uprights walking in and out. That's fucking irritating. (to further bitch: there are two 90 deg overhead legs, that protrude out 12"-18" over the from the front of the rack .... they have fancy anchor points on the outside for suspending elastic bands. Problem is you hit those anchor points when you press a with a 45 on the bar. So you have to walk back 2 or 3 steps instead of one. Heavy presses it sucks.)
What kind of rack is it?

My Dynamic uprights are massive, but I've never had a problem with bumping the uprights. I did have to put mount the rack on some 2x6 feet to make it tall enough to press an axle bar inside.
some weirdo garbage marketed to globo-gyms

says matrix something on the safeties

googling it ... here:

https://www.johnsonfitness.com/Matrix-M ... 36157.aspx

for only $4,400 + shipping, you could have one too !

You can see the top band pegs on that overhead-member ... those aren't retractable but the deadlift pegs are I guess.
If I'm doing higher rep/lighter OHP stuff (135-155) I just step back 3 steps ... If want to go heavy, I used (2) 25# plates per side then add change plates. Otherwise you'll bang those. Scared the fuck outta me the first time, I will over-intentionally rocket up a 135 OHP getting warmed up.

The Boy might not be paying attention to Nth degree as he walks out squats .... we don't do a very deliberate PL style robotic marching walkout.
That said, I don't have this problem with him in the 3 other squat racks he's squatted in.

4" uprights are silly.
Either the bar's sleeve collar gets really close to the J-hooks/uprights (or plate contact),
OR
if they "squeeze" the inside dimension, your hands get close to the J-hooks doing lowbar squats.
I have pretty flexible shoulders, but long forearms .... I really have to struggle to get an inch away from "crushing" pinkies.
Highbar is not a problem at all.

From a strength POV, 4" sq. is ten-times overkill.
One might say: but they need the extra room to cut those fancy L-slots for the J-hooks.
The purpose (I think) of the L-slot is for quick adjustments to be made .... and/or for a double pin setup.
2 per each J-hook in this case .... you are actually sliding into a pair of consecutive L-slots with a pair of fixed pins per Jhook.
But then, this particular brand has a secondary tertiary manual spring-loaded safety pin that has to be pulled to release it ....
You can barely make-out the little orange knob under the bar there ....
(one of these safety latches are completely broke; they've removed it)

All that ^ and according to the info here ... its only rated at 900# capacity. fookin lolz

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:21 am

mbasic wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:12 am
some weirdo garbage marketed to globo-gyms
Ok, that's not nearly as bad as I was picturing. Pretty typical commercial half rack, though usually they're 3" wide uprights to save that extra inch on each side.

All that ^ and according to the info here ... its only rated at 900# capacity. fookin lolz
Matrix, Cybex, and other "globo" type companies seem to pretty much pull weight capacities out of their ass. Lawyer numbers, likely.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:19 am

mgil wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:32 am
Oldandfat wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:55 pm
mgil wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:02 pmGotcha.
What do you have? The pro,series,legend?
I have the 3171:

Hard to tell in some of the op videos but it looks like you would not hit the crossmembers had you gone with the 3133. Full cage? Or did you need the 3171 for pressing?

How stable are the front uprights if I were to rack a squat or op on them? (From lack of crossmember). They have that angle piece on the bottom. Why wouldn’t they have welded that piece?

I was looking at the rogue RM6 (with 30” depth) but man,the legend racks pack ALOT in a pretty decently small footprint. Also rogue doesn’t make flip downs for the 30” depth. My work has flip downs. I really like them over saber.

Another thing in rogues favor is the holes on all sides. If I go legend I can’t use some rogue attachments (never needed them in 27 years so not an issue?).

What made you pick legend over rogue, and how long have you owned the 3171?

Do you bold yours down? How many 45’s can the plate holders take? They look short. And what’s the distance between back upright, and storage upright? Quick math tells me 16”?

I’m really diggin the legend product. Just playing around with the configuration tool and color schemes.

Sorry for all the questions. And thanks for the answers and the time.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:39 am

The 3171 is simply good for overhead work. I’ve hit the top crossmember in other racks while pressing, so I wanted to avoid the issue altogether.

The front uprights are very stable. No problem racking 495 on those posts for rack pulls/holds. However, I don’t use them for much since I work out alone. The bolting on of that flange is not an issue. The flange and bolt mounts are very thick steel.

The beefy spotter arms are great. Definitely worth having. Way better to work off of than pins.

I don’t see a need for the side holes unless you have a dip attachment or something. The only thing I really miss is not having a land mine attachment.

I chose the Legend because I could order colors I wanted (not an option with Rogue back in 2015 when I bought it), the open top design, and it was cheaper after the quote. @Hanley was good for initial information here.

Mine is not bolted down. It walks a little under heavy use but nothing terrible. It’s easy enough to slide back.

The larger pegs can hold 6 ~1.5” thick 45s. I have 3 Cap, 2 ITX, and 1 Ivanko on each peg in that photo. There’s another pair of iron 45s, as well as 45, 25, and 2x10 bumpers on the bottom peg. I’m guessing the pegs are about 12” long?

Legend is a pretty good mix of custom options, interesting variants, quality build (my fit and finish is top notch), and price.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:41 am

Also…

I swapped positions on the chin up bars (the fat one is up front) and flipped the fat one upside down to clear the garage door track.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:37 pm

mgil wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:39 am The 3171 is simply good for overhead work. I’ve hit the top crossmember in other racks while pressing, so I wanted to avoid the issue altogether.

The front uprights are very stable. No problem racking 495 on those posts for rack pulls/holds. However, I don’t use them for much since I work out alone. The bolting on of that flange is not an issue. The flange and bolt mounts are very thick steel.

The beefy spotter arms are great. Definitely worth having. Way better to work off of than pins.

I don’t see a need for the side holes unless you have a dip attachment or something. The only thing I really miss is not having a land mine attachment.

I chose the Legend because I could order colors I wanted (not an option with Rogue back in 2015 when I bought it), the open top design, and it was cheaper after the quote. @Hanley was good for initial information here.

Mine is not bolted down. It walks a little under heavy use but nothing terrible. It’s easy enough to slide back.

The larger pegs can hold 6 ~1.5” thick 45s. I have 3 Cap, 2 ITX, and 1 Ivanko on each peg in that photo. There’s another pair of iron 45s, as well as 45, 25, and 2x10 bumpers on the bottom peg. I’m guessing the pegs are about 12” long?

Legend is a pretty good mix of custom options, interesting variants, quality build (my fit and finish is top notch), and price.
Does Hanley have a connection at legend?

I like the new mono attachment from rogue. Requires side holes. But I’ve gone 27 years without em. I just thought if I’m buying a new rack why not get something that can potentially do everything?

I am now certain that I NEED flip downs. I never really missed them until I did some workouts at work. Flip down safeties are nice, and I think legends flips are better than rogues (seems rogues are a bit more ackward to instal… insert one end, then the other, then slide back, and insert hitch pin). Legends just slide in, and flip down.

And currently rogue only has flips for 43”. And that’s almost too deep. If I decided on plate storage, I can’t fit a 43” with plate storage in my space.

I seriously don’t even need plate storage, but as I said legend has plate storage in a neat and tidy foot print.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:24 pm

Hanley doesn’t have a connection, he was just well aware of the offerings at the time.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:00 pm

So here’s my current,setup. Other than the “wants” of,a new rack I’m perfect;y happy with seperate weight storage. It works.

So I’d be ok with a new rogue 43” rack (for the flip downs) and seperate storage.

BUT damn that legend stuff is damn nice. I suppose I could give the plate storage to my nephew with the rack and just order the legend.

I still worry about getting down the stairs. Advantage: rogue bolt together.

gtl

Post by gtl » Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:36 am

Oldandfat wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:00 pm

Nice setup. I think no matter what, there's always the want of a new rack, especially when companies continue to innovate/build different ways to add attachments,etc.

I think the one advantage of the Rogue style racks are that they are all bolt together, from both a shipping perspective (can ship in a UPS box) and being able to transport it into a house/basement/etc. My 3x3 EliteFTS rack is 4 pieces (2 sides + pullup bar + rear support). There's no way in hell that thing is getting up or down any stairs.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:23 am

gtl wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:36 am
Oldandfat wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:00 pm

Nice setup. I think no matter what, there's always the want of a new rack, especially when companies continue to innovate/build different ways to add attachments,etc.

I think the one advantage of the Rogue style racks are that they are all bolt together, from both a shipping perspective (can ship in a UPS box) and being able to transport it into a house/basement/etc. My 3x3 EliteFTS rack is 4 pieces (2 sides + pullup bar + rear support). There's no way in hell that thing is getting up or down any stairs.
You can’t see in the picture but all my basement windows are 53” wide. I spec’s that when we built. Drywall/plywood slides right into the basement. Highly recommended.

Problem with the legend racks is they are 60” wide. The power station has an open top and I may be able to angle it in the basement windows.

But it’s welded sides are basically a queen mattress.

Previously I had a weight tree on each side of my rack, and I deadlifted where the plate storage thing is. But the floor is slopped. Now I pull inside or in front of the rack. Now I have to pull my safeties out. Sabers aren’t too bad but the sound is shrill. Advantage flip downs which means rogue rm3 or legend if I care to get it down the stairs.

Legend has plate storage which I do t need but would be nice.

Good times we are living in because of all the choices. On the other hand, too many damn choices, lol. First world problems

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:55 pm

I’m gonna order the flip safeties,as well,as the saber, but I don’t trust just saber on a 35” deep rack. My 22” bent on a failed squat.

So I’d like the “pipe” portion,as,well,but legend doesn’t offer it.

What exactly is the “pipe”” looks like something I,can buy from Home Depot and,cut to,size with a grinder?

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:44 am

Oldandfat wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:55 pm I’m gonna order the flip safeties,as well,as the saber, but I don’t trust just saber on a 35” deep rack. My 22” bent on a failed squat.

What exactly is the “pipe”” looks like something I,can buy from Home Depot and,cut to,size with a grinder?
They probably have black pipe already cut to a length close to what you need. Doesn't need to go all the way, the point is to distribute the force from the bar along the saber.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:08 am

Allentown wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:44 am
Oldandfat wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:55 pm I’m gonna order the flip safeties,as well,as the saber, but I don’t trust just saber on a 35” deep rack. My 22” bent on a failed squat.

They probably have black pipe already cut to a length close to what you need. Doesn't need to go all the way, the point is to distribute the force from the bar along the saber.
Legend only sells the saber safety. There is no pipe. I bent my saber @22” depth. I don’t trust a 35” depth with saber only. The pipe would make me feel safer. It looks like I need schedule 80 pipe?

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:24 am

So I got some quotes and did some rogue pricing.

Legend rack with storage to my door $4250.00. Ouch
Rogue RM6 to my door $4500.00. Ouchier.

Not even sure I’d want to pay for plate storage. Not 4K ish anyways.

Now I looked at the rogue rm3, or RM4. No plate storage and due to bolt together construction I COULD add plate storage if I wanted. But still, north of 3k to my door.

Cheapest option would be the barebones R3 from rogue. Everything I need. I can press inside (will confirm before purchase) and my wife’s walk outs are improving so the 24” depth likely won’t be an issue. I’m stuck with pin/pipe safeties which are a step down from my sabers (in convenience) but doable.

Not the fanciest but tons of muscle has been been with these racks by men far stronger than I ever will be.

Legend is the absolute hands down winner for value, but there’s an 800.oo freight charge. Yikes. Rogue is priced higher but somehow ship for 75 bucks. (Built into the price).

Also in my mind for consideration, I’m in my 50’s and have been in my home for 20 years. There’s a good chance when I retire we will move. Much easier to move an r3 (or monster bolt together) than a legend.

If I buy the r3 it will do but will I regret not buying the Cadillac? If I buy the legend/RM6 will I regret spending so much money?

Also, RME finally has their new interface in stock, and Apple is dropping some fine machine lately. Toyota finally has the mythical tundra available.

Nothing, nothing, nothing, and all at once now everything.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:37 am

@Oldandfat, I just got a Rogue kettlebell rack and was reminded of how kickass their stuff is also. Completely overbuilt and high quality hardware.

You can’t go wrong with either brand. If Rogue offers a bolt-together 6 post rack with built-in plate storage, that’s worth considering. I like not having to move the plates very far!

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:08 am

mgil wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:37 am @Oldandfat, I just got a Rogue kettlebell rack and was reminded of how kickass their stuff is also. Completely overbuilt and high quality hardware.

You can’t go wrong with either brand. If Rogue offers a bolt-together 6 post rack with built-in plate storage, that’s worth considering. I like not having to move the plates very far!
But is not moving plates far worth 4500? (3300 if I subtract 1200 I’d spend on the r3). I mean my plates are in front of my rack so I’m moving like 6 feet. My wife laughed cause she’s like “if your lifting weights then why the concern of having plates on the rack?” Fair ball. Lol. Advantage to rogue bolt together is I can get just the rack now and plate storage later if I want. Disadvantage is rogue doesn’t sell flip downs for a 30” rack. They will sell me a 30” RM6. The 43” RM6 is too big. (Legend has the advantage of a small foot print). Decisions, decisions

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:10 am

And mgilit looks like your,3171 is in a garage. Easy instal. Mine would have to go down the stairs but as my wife said to me “if I’m lifting weights what’s the concern”? Lol.

First world problems. I’m complaining (not really) about too much choice.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:12 pm

For the reasons you’re encountering, those are the reasons I wouldn’t put a full rack in the basement unless it was a walkout basement.

I have a walkout basement, and my main equipment is still in the garage! I do have a bench, dumbbells up to 60lbs, and a few other things down there. I used to have a half rack, bench, bowflex, and weights all in the basement, but when I decided I wanted to get a real rack and do overhead work, it was time to move to the garage.