Do I need a new rack? If yes, what?

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

Oldandfat

Re: Do I need a new rack? If yes, what?

Post by Oldandfat » Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:30 pm

mgil wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:12 pm For the reasons you’re encountering, those are the reasons I wouldn’t put a full rack in the basement unless it was a walkout basement.

I have a walkout basement, and my main equipment is still in the garage! I do have a bench, dumbbells up to 60lbs, and a few other things down there. I used to have a half rack, bench, bowflex, and weights all in the basement, but when I decided I wanted to get a real rack and do overhead work, it was time to move to the garage.
Walkout basement opens up all kind,of opportunity. Especially if,you,have 9,or 10,foot,walls!

I,can fit a,full rack. It’s getting it in the basement. Bolt together no problem. Welded is another matter. My basement windows are 53” wide so,drywall, etc welded rack (r3, rm3,fortis) can go,in the windows.

My stairs to the basement are mid house and it’s not a straight run. Queen box spring went down (roughly size,of legend rack).

Curious why,you are in a garage if your basement is walkout? You,should have at least 8,foot,cielings?

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:13 pm

I think it’s right at 96” to the floor joists from the floor.

I wanted to finish the basement anyhow to have more living area and possibly a spare bedroom when needed, so moving the gym to the garage was phase one.

But pressing was still a pain in the ass with 45s on the bar. I had to stand in certain places to miss the joists. My garage has 12’ ceilings, so that’s handled easily.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:25 pm

How,tall are you? I’m 5-10. My joists are 96” from the ground. My limbs are “average”.

I can press with shoes on, and standing on 2-1/4” worth of stall mat on top of 3/8” mat. I don’t hit the joists and I’m pressing parallel with them. My arms aren’t T. rex

Side note: move your gym to the basement. Skip the bedroom. Guests sleep in the garage, lol.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:02 pm

I’m 6’ even with gorilla arms.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:32 am

mgil wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:12 pm For the reasons you’re encountering, those are the reasons I wouldn’t put a full rack in the basement unless it was a walkout basement.

I have a walkout basement, and my main equipment is still in the garage! I do have a bench, dumbbells up to 60lbs, and a few other things down there. I used to have a half rack, bench, bowflex, and weights all in the basement, but when I decided I wanted to get a real rack and do overhead work, it was time to move to the garage.
Going back a few posts you mention “hitting the crossmembers”. I took this to mean the height of the cross member is too low, and it’s impossible to press inside.

But I’m wondering did you mean you had enough height, but hit the cross members because of the width? I.e plates would sometimes hit the crossmembers? Kinda like how some people complain the rogue 43” spacing is too wide and that they hit the uprights on a rerack.

If this is the case, then the advantage goes back to the power station, which now leads me to my next point…

The power station is basically a half rack with storage, except it has the advantage of a full rack safety due to the front uprights. I mean, a half rack would give me the safety via spotter arms.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:13 am

I’d hit the barbell on the crossmembers.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:24 am

So hitting the crossmembers with the plates was never a concern? It was the gorilla arms?

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:01 pm

https://www.elitefts.com/eliteftstm-gar ... e107d8c1bc

EliteFTS just put their low end rack on sale for Black Friday. And their swiss bar, by whatever name they are calling it.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:19 am

Hardartery wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:01 pm https://www.elitefts.com/eliteftstm-gar ... e107d8c1bc

EliteFTS just put their low end rack on sale for Black Friday. And their swiss bar, by whatever name they are calling it.
3" hole spacing.
Yuck

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:47 am

Wilhelm wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:19 am
Hardartery wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:01 pm https://www.elitefts.com/eliteftstm-gar ... e107d8c1bc

3" hole spacing.
Yuck
The J hooks and the welds look poopy.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:01 am

I don't like closed racks at all, Just thought I'd throw ou there the sale (With free shipping) for those that don't frequent that site. Their stuff tends to be good quality, so... I know they have started a boneyard as well.