Socks?

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

Oldandfat

Socks?

Post by Oldandfat » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:26 pm

Plain old socks. I’m hard on them. I used to buy Walmart whatever brand in a 6 or so pack. Lucky if I got a year.

About 5 years ago I bought some Duluth trading 7 year socks. 5 years later and they are remarkably fine. I ordered a few more and they are definitely not the same quality, unless I got a bad batch or something?

I usually get them on sale @15% off, and as a bonus they ship to cannuckastan. My original pairs have a fantastic price to longevity ratio.

I’m about 6 months in with fila socks from Costco. So far so good.

Someone at work told me about Vermont tough socks. They are pricey but supposedly good. Lifetime warranty. Now I don’t,expect a lifetime, but 2 years or more and I’d be very happy.

Obviously a hole always wears through mid day and it drives me insane. Yes I can lose some weight to increase sock wear, but honestly it’s easier to just buy socks.

Renascent
Desperado

Re: Socks?

Post by Renascent » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:49 pm

Oldandfat wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:26 pmSomeone at work told me about Vermont tough socks. They are pricey but supposedly good. Lifetime warranty. Now I don’t,expect a lifetime, but 2 years or more and I’d be very happy.
Darn Tough is the brand, and yes, they're made in Vermont.

Supposedly, they have a lifetime warranty; if they ever develop a hole, you ship 'em to Vermont, and they send you a replacement pair.

I bought some pairs years ago when we were looking for ways to cut down on the heating bill during winter, but they also have models for other seasons.

Most of mine have worn thin (the wool has gradually gotten thinner over the past seven years or so), but unfortunately they haven't developed the elusive hole(s), so I can't get my free pairs yet. I pretty much wear them to work every day, even in the summer. A slightly damp wool sock feels way better than a slightly damp cotton sock (and, arguably, might be more hygienic).

The wife wears their mountaineering socks during the cold season. Totally worth the money, though you might feel silly at first, paying what they charge. But it's hard to go back to Walmart socks after trying DT.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:03 pm

Renascent wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:49 pm
Oldandfat wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:26 pmSomeone at work told me about Vermont tough socks. They are pricey but supposedly good. Lifetime warranty. Now I don’t,expect a lifetime, but 2 years or more and I’d be very happy.
Darn Tough is the brand,
I love Darn Tough socks.

You'll easily get 2 years of wear.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:20 pm

Hanley wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:03 pm
Renascent wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:49 pm
Darn Tough is the brand,
I love Darn Tough socks.

You'll easily get 2 years of wear.
Yep. And you'll feel like you're walking on air.

And the gaudier the colorway, the better.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:46 pm

Renascent wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:20 pmthe gaudier the colorway, the better.
DARN TOUGH (1997) Sunset Ridge Micro Crew Lightweight with Cushion Men's Sock

^ I might have to get it

Brackish

Post by Brackish » Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:22 am

+1 for the Darn Tough bandwagon. I don't wear them when I lift (make my feet sweat), but it's pretty much all I wear the rest of the time.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:04 am

I’ve bought several pairs (dozens?) from these good people:

https://www.skatersocks.com/

Some pair I’ve had for 5 years or so and are still holding up.

brkriete

Post by brkriete » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:47 am

Darn Tough are great.

Their military issue socks are amazing. I bought a couple pairs a few years back when some surplus place had them on deep discount (which was still like $15 bucks a pair...) and I wish I'd just bought all the pairs they had.

JonA

Post by JonA » Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:50 am

I've always told my wife that when I make it big, I'm only going to wear new socks. A fresh new pair every day.

New socks are the best. I don't even care what brand.

oldguy

Post by oldguy » Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:06 pm

Rest of you guys are real men with manly jobs I bet. I get years, if not decades, out of my socks.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:17 pm

Darn tough it is!

Price is steep, but sounds like they’ll last.

Wool socks are awesome. I grew up wearing wool socks when we played pond hockey. Pond hockey was fun in the spring. Wool socks definitely better than others when wet.

Edit…. Some of the Amazon reviews claim Vermont tough “are not the same as 3 years ago”. Kinda my experience with Duluth. I knew right away my Duluth weren’t as “beefy”.

Any of you guys recently buy Vermont and notice a “decline”?

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:10 pm

The only pairs I've bought in the last two years were dead stock.

I've been planning a re-up before winter, but I won't be surprised if the quality ends up seeming different this time around.

For some reason, I kind of expect that. Dunno if it'd be a sign of the times with regard to Covid shit affecting the quality/availability of raw materials, or if I'm prematurely subscribing to the idea that the general quality of man-made goods no longer measures up to yesteryear, but I've noticed a trend of disappointing quality in a number of things I've replaced over the past four years or so.

Any day now, I guess I'll be outside yelling at clouds, but I still intend to snag a few new pairs of DT socks soon enough. I'll report back if I remember to do so.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:19 pm

Oldandfat wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:17 pmAny of you guys recently buy Vermont and notice a “decline”?
Nope. Still great. Inspired by this thread, I bought some last night.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:19 am

Just ordered a few pairs of DT cushioned no shows thanks to this thread. My cheaper wool blend running socks have lasted ~2 years, and I’ve preferred them over everything else, so I’m excited for the DT’s.

Edit: Here are the cheaper ones I’ve been wearing for 2 years
-the fit has stayed nice and tight, but they are developing holes.

EggMcMuffin

Post by EggMcMuffin » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:02 pm

real question: who makes good underwear?

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:37 pm

LoudMuffin wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:02 pm real question: who makes good underwear?
Duluth Buck Naked

Inverstone

Post by Inverstone » Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:13 pm

Any feedback on the briefs or boxers that let you park yer junk in one pocket and the "boys" in the other? Is it more comfortable when active (training) or just a gimmick? Interested in chafe reduction, avoidance if those work that way.

hsilman
✓ Registered User

Post by hsilman » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:01 am

Darn Tough socks are great. I buy Bombas for every day socks because of all the charity work they do. Literally any charity can give them a call and get whatever number of cases of socks they need sent to them at regular intervals. I've passed out hundreds of thousands of pairs of bombas socks over the past couple of year.

I recently got a pair of "Comfort Flex Fit" underwear with that pouch. Honestly, feelsgoodman. Dunno if they compare to Saxx or others, but they also don't cost $25/ea

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:32 pm

hsilman wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:01 am Darn Tough socks are great. I buy Bombas for every day socks because of all the charity work they do. Literally any charity can give them a call and get whatever number of cases of socks they need sent to them at regular intervals. I've passed out hundreds of thousands of pairs of bombas socks over the past couple of year.

I recently got a pair of "Comfort Flex Fit" underwear with that pouch. Honestly, feelsgoodman. Dunno if they compare to Saxx or others, but they also don't cost $25/ea
Wife likes Bombas. I have not tried them.

I am a fan of Fits, they make the best "no show" socks I have found so far. The Fits "dress" socks are nice too. Also made in the US. Will probably switch to Bombas for standard low cut socks because of ^ though.

Root
Grillmaster

Post by Root » Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:24 pm

Hanley wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:37 pm
LoudMuffin wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:02 pm real question: who makes good underwear?
Duluth Buck Naked
I bought some of these a while ago based on your recommendation. I like the material, but they provide zero scrotum-thigh separation, which should be a hallmark of a good boxer brief.