New, more aggressive OPB

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

Allentown
Likes Beer

New, more aggressive OPB

Post by Allentown » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:31 am

I'll be honest, I'm interested.
There are a couple specialty bars that I "need" more than I need a second barbell, but...

mbasic

Re: New, more aggressive OPB

Post by mbasic » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:13 am

. . . does it come in healthy patina ?

brkriete

Post by brkriete » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:31 am

mbasic wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:13 am . . . does it come in healthy patina ?
Nope. All stainless.

James

Post by James » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:00 am

Didn't need all that skin on my fingers anyway.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:25 am

Do bars like this chew up your shins easier?

I've used some where the knurl was clearly sharper than others, and if those sharper ones even slightly graze my shins it draws blood.

Doesn't seem worth it outside of a competition setting....but what do i know?

51M0N

Post by 51M0N » Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:37 pm

mbasic wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:25 am Do bars like this chew up your shins easier?

I've used some where the knurl was clearly sharper than others, and if those sharper ones even slightly graze my shins it draws blood.

Standard OPB knurling is aggressive and leaves a mark if you graze the skin, X2 and X3 are going to be like a cheese grater on your skin

Cleverusername

Post by Cleverusername » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:09 pm

I like the knurl on my bare steel OPB. I don’t find it aggressive. I do find it very grippy. I can’t recall ever thinking “I wish this was MORE grippy”.

All that said, I’d still be interested in checking out the 2.0 AGGRO. A second power bar is a long , long, long way down the list of things I’d like to add to the garage gym though.

thejosef

Post by thejosef » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:34 am

51M0N wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:37 pm
mbasic wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:25 am Do bars like this chew up your shins easier?

Standard OPB knurling is aggressive and leaves a mark if you graze the skin, X2 and X3 are going to be like a cheese grater on your skin
I'm not sure this will be true with the 3x. I've used that 3x "mountain" style knurl in the past (Kabuki power bar and Vulcan stainless power bar) and IMO it's not as "Sharp" feeling as there's not as many sharp edges in contact with your hands. It's less abrasive than a volcano style (regular OPB and OPB 2x). We'll see... I ordered the 3x and I'll report back on my thoughts. I've owned a regular OPB in the past but sold it as I just never liked that knurl pattern/style.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:44 pm

I,have the original OPB in bare steel. A wee bit o’ chalk and it sticks like,glue.

I also have the odlb and it’s very aggressive. Don’t think I’d need the new OPB

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:46 am

Cleverusername wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:09 pm I can’t recall ever thinking “I wish this was MORE grippy”.
Same...

Let alone having a thought like 'Well, this knurl is nice... but I really wish someone would make a bar with a grip equivalent to the shaft being rolled in hot glue and dipped in broken glass.'

FredM

Post by FredM » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:32 am

I don't understand Rogue's reasoning for most of the "new" bars they've been releasing lately.

This would be another example of "did anyone really ask for this?"

I like the design a lot but OPB SS is more than enough grip -- and already a nightmare for pulls if I forget to wear socks.

Some better ideas that I think would sell (e.g. to me)

1. SS chan bar designed like this new bar. Agree with Coop on this criticism 100%. Cerakote sleeves and knurl on top of SS makes no freaking sense. It would be objectively better without the cerakote coating there but would still look pretty cool in the places you don't grip or put plates on (exactly like these new aggro bars)

2. OPB with slightly wider center knurl. Like many, I like the center knurl for back squats but for low bar you can barely feel it because it's mostly not touching your back if you're setting up right.

3. Center knurl option for Ohio bars.

I'm also patiently waiting for them to let you customize bars more. How expensive would it be really to run the knurl process for slightly more length on the bar to let the customer choose these qualities?

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:39 pm

FredM wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:32 am I don't understand Rogue's reasoning for most of the "new" bars they've been releasing lately.
This would be another example of "did anyone really ask for this?"
Along the lines "did anyone really ask for this" .... and slight thread-derailment ....

...funny, Rogue doesn't seem to be making the grooved-sleeve fake Russian bar anymore with the ratchetting collars.
I was going to pull the trigger on one at the beginning of the coronapocolyspe ... figuring that would be an odd ball thing that got passed over...
A big Nope. "Out of Stock". Got on e-waitlist around Mar. '20 .... Nope.

I pulled the trigger on the Eleiko version, which is a whole 'nother story:
- Like Rogue, they've discontinued their version (PowerLok) altogether.
- Therefore the USA inventory was also gone; I got one of the very last units in Sweden.
(appears only in the Eleiko-EU web-shopping page; not on the EleikoUSA page)
- Had to pre-pay; high overseas shipping cost; "no returns"; etc.
- Paid in full around the beginning of Jan '21 ; received bar mid July '21.

I have not attempted one single lift with this bar and have had for a couple months now ... lolololololololol

thejosef

Post by thejosef » Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:23 pm

Well my 3x Aggro OPB came in. BOY they were not joking about this bar. I really thought this pattern would not "feel" as aggressive as they were touting, but I was dead wrong. This thing is painful to bench press with. It's a very nice bar, quality wise (stainless shaft and sleeves are nice), but I'm on the fence as to whether I actually "like" it or not. Lol. I will use it a few more sessions to see if I'll be keeping it or if I'll admit defeat and move on from it. It is definitely more aggressive than any other "mountain type" knurl bar I've owned.. namely the Kabuki power bar and the Vulcan Absolute Stainless Power Bar. The 3x Aggro is just a taller, sharper knurl. It's really something else. It is more aggressive and sharper than the normal OPB by a good bit. This 3x is gonna chew up my j-cups BAD.

So I have a shaved head and I'm now nervous getting under the 3x Aggro center knurl to squat that my head will hit that knurl and bleed. LOL. I have never even thought about that with another bar...

James

Post by James » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:16 am

thejosef wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:23 pm This 3x is gonna chew up my j-cups BAD.
Sounds like a good excuse to buy a pair of those rolling j cups.

thejosef

Post by thejosef » Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:44 pm

James wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:16 am
thejosef wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:23 pm This 3x is gonna chew up my j-cups BAD.
Sounds like a good excuse to buy a pair of those rolling j cups.
I like how you think.. :)

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:49 am

thejosef wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:23 pm So I have a shaved head and I'm now nervous getting under the 3x Aggro center knurl to squat that my head will hit that knurl and bleed. LOL. I have never even thought about that with another bar...
...you talkin' about just ducking under it to back squat?

---------------

Not that 3xAggro is marketed as a WL bar, but I have hit my forehead 3 times doing snatches too fast/reckless/wild.
Twice have drawn blood. Third time? big red spot, but you could clearly see the knurl pattern in the wound....lolz

Powercleans? my neck and collar bone would get tore up (squat cleans this doesn't happen, just powers)
... I guess a 'general strength trainee' might do some PCs though).

OHP? I've hit my chin probably 6 times over the years. Split jerk? maybe twice.

I can see why the Xfit gyms/bars have no-knurl centers.

thejosef

Post by thejosef » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:44 pm

mbasic wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:49 am
thejosef wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:23 pm So I have a shaved head and I'm now nervous getting under the 3x Aggro center knurl to squat that my head will hit that knurl and bleed. LOL. I have never even thought about that with another bar...
...you talkin' about just ducking under it to back squat?

---------------

Not that 3xAggro is marketed as a WL bar, but I have hit my forehead 3 times doing snatches too fast/reckless/wild.
Twice have drawn blood. Third time? big red spot, but you could clearly see the knurl pattern in the wound....lolz

Powercleans? my neck and collar bone would get tore up (squat cleans this doesn't happen, just powers)
... I guess a 'general strength trainee' might do some PCs though).

OHP? I've hit my chin probably 6 times over the years. Split jerk? maybe twice.

I can see why the Xfit gyms/bars have no-knurl centers.
Lol. Yeah bench press is scaring me too.. just the thought of laying down and the clipping that bar is frightening. :lol:

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:41 am

...you'll see some guys rub their block of chalk right onto the bar, this thing would be funny. Like a cheese-grater.

I was going suggest that actually, to fill in the valleys to see what happens. I'm not sure you want do that unless your shop vac is right there handy