Stall mat thickness, gym set up opinions, or just be happy with what I have?

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

Oldandfat

Re: Stall mat thickness, gym set up opinions, or just be happy with what I have?

Post by Oldandfat » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:28 pm

Hardartery wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:17 pm
PuddingFace wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:08 pm
Drop-in internal threaded anchors are good if you might want to move the rack later. No stud to grind & fill. Downside is you have to be sure you won’t drill all the way through the slab.
Studs break off if you hit 'em back and forth a couple of times with a hammer, no grinding necessary. Drilling through the slab is usually irrelevant, honestly. It doesn't really affect anything, except maybe making a hole in the visquine underneath (If it actually has any layed down, and somehow has no penetrations already - which is super unlikely).
Are you not a fan of drop in anchors? For non drop in do you prefer wedge, or sleeve anchors? Allan thrall used wedge anchors for his rogue racks. Rogue sells “tapcon” which is a different kind.

Very confusing

Hardartery

Re: Stall mat thickness, gym set up opinions, or just be happy with what I have?

Post by Hardartery » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:42 pm

I am old. When I say Redheads, it's like saying Kleenex instead of facial tissue. I am talking about the kind that you hammer into the hole (Lightly, it's supposed to be a little snug) and then tighten up the nut to secure. The nut can be undone later and it's just a stud sticking out, so you can mark your holes, then move the item out of the way too drill and intall the anchor, and then set the item back on the studs and tighten it down. Also useful in housing when you need some anchor bolts in a slab for framing and no one stuck them in the concrete when it was being poured. I don't know if they would be called a wedge, or a sleeve, or something else. I know if you ask any contractor, they know what a Redhead is, and I think Lowes even still carries the brand-name ones as well as the generic. For securing something to the floor that may be sublected to occasional great force, I prefer them. Tapcons are really for lighter duty stuff, mounting stuff to poured concrete walls (Like conduit clips or boxes, not heavy stuff).

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:47 pm

PuddingFace wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:05 pm
Hardartery wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:17 pm
PuddingFace wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:08 pm
Drop-in internal threaded anchors are good if you might want to move the rack later. No stud to grind & fill. Downside is you have to be sure you won’t drill all the way through the slab.
Studs break off if you hit 'em back and forth a couple of times with a hammer, no grinding necessary. Drilling through the slab is usually irrelevant, honestly. It doesn't really affect anything, except maybe making a hole in the visquine underneath (If it actually has any layed down, and somehow has no penetrations already - which is super unlikely).
Drop-ins you will just pound through when setting if you drill through the concrete. How many hits does it take to break off a 1” redhead with 2” sticking out of the concrete? Just curious.
In my experience, 2 or three his is usually enough. They are not super flexible, so sheer force works well if they aren't holding anything down. If they are holding something down, you have to cut them with a grinder. I am not sure exactly what a drop in is, but I would assume if you stop hitting it when it's low enough it will stop dropping and then torquing it locks it in place? We usually torqued the bolts in during intall to make sure they stopped being adjustable before something heavy got dropped on them.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:44 pm

Hardartery wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:42 pm I am old. When I say Redheads, it's like saying Kleenex instead of facial tissue. I am talking about the kind that you hammer into the hole (Lightly, it's supposed to be a little snug) and then tighten up the nut to secure. The nut can be undone later and it's just a stud sticking out, so you can mark your holes, then move the item out of the way too drill and intall the anchor, and then set the item back on the studs and tighten it down. Also useful in housing when you need some anchor bolts in a slab for framing and no one stuck them in the concrete when it was being poured. I don't know if they would be called a wedge, or a sleeve, or something else. I know if you ask any contractor, they know what a Redhead is, and I think Lowes even still carries the brand-name ones as well as the generic. For securing something to the floor that may be sublected to occasional great force, I prefer them. Tapcons are really for lighter duty stuff, mounting stuff to poured concrete walls (Like conduit clips or boxes, not heavy stuff).
Redhead males “drop ins” (threaded insert that expands), and both wedge, and sleeve inserts (threaded posts that expand). Thought you might know if,a,sleeve or wedge was better.

I’ll send an email to redhead and see what they come up with. I,wonder,why rogue sells tapcon?

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:56 pm

I,just reread starting strength equipment section. There’s no,rip love here,but he,says 3 layers of ply, then 3/4 mat top. That’s 3” of platform.

Does that seem a bit overkill? The accepted standard seems to be 2 layers of ply topped with mat, or mat and wood center.