SSD: Still not respectable

A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

stuffedsuperdud

Re: SSD: Still not respectable

Post by stuffedsuperdud » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:27 pm

mgil wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:09 am y u post @3:16 am east coast time stuffedsuperdud???
Who else would I be doing at that hour???
simonrest wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:48 pm
stuffedsuperdud wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:16 am Do I keep them?
of course. even if it's only to belittle your manservant
That's one of the things that makes me most uncomfortable watching that show. In every scene, there are all these workers in black dresses and bright red tailcoats scurrying about in the background, privy to all our heroes' little embarrassments and failures. It's all a bit much, no? On the other hand, my favorite scenes have been the ones where Philip (audience's surrogate) does his bro-y antics and points how how silly the notion of monarchy is if you think about it hard enough. Also, Claire Foy crawling around the mud with a gun gets a win.

I lifted a little bit today:

Snatch:
20kg x a few
40x3
50x3
70x2
80x1
85x1
90x1x5

simonrest
Objectifies Monotremes

Post by simonrest » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:25 pm

Crown Aside: there was a scene in season 2 where Phillip goes on tour in Scotland. This actually occurred and My Father in Law (who was a cheeky 10 year old at the time) patted him on his head as he was being shown through the town of Sterling. He says Phillip was a lot balder in real life than in the show

SeanHerbison
Zercher Pro

Post by SeanHerbison » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:22 am

stuffedsuperdud wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:27 pmpoints how how silly the notion of monarchy is if you think about it hard enough.
I don't know about that. The actual execution of a monarchy may devolve into crap, but the idea of it is great. Assuming you start with a king/queen you like, and who is good at their job, who better to follow them up than someone who has been trained by them their entire life to continue their legacy?

The theory is great. Just like a lot of theories, unfortunately.

By the way, I have no idea about the show you're referring to. Never heard of it before.

BenM

Post by BenM » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:45 am

SeanHerbison wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:22 am
stuffedsuperdud wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:27 pmpoints how how silly the notion of monarchy is if you think about it hard enough.
I don't know about that. The actual execution of a monarchy may devolve into crap, but the idea of it is great. Assuming you start with a king/queen you like, and who is good at their job, who better to follow them up than someone who has been trained by them their entire life to continue their legacy?

By the way, I have no idea about the show you're referring to. Never heard of it before.
Really? I guess if you're not into period drama you might not care, but it's a really nicely executed attempt to dramatise the early reign of Queen Elizabeth. We're partway through season 2 at the moment.

It's not really my cup of tea but it's something to watch with the wife, she loves it. I can tolerate it, although the long dramatic montages for effect are starting to grate a little

stuffedsuperdud

Post by stuffedsuperdud » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:06 pm

SeanHerbison wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:22 am The actual execution of a monarchy may devolve into crap, but the idea of it is great. Assuming you start with a king/queen you like, and who is good at their job, who better to follow them up than someone who has been trained by them their entire life to continue their legacy?

I think there was a recent big-name standup comedian (Louis CK? (RIP) Bill Burr? (Bill's a dad now, so also RIP)? George Carlin? (Serious RIP)) who said "Why would you put the son in charge? His dad was the fucking king. He grew up running around the palace raping chambermaids. Of course he's a fucking dick."

And sure enough you get fuckups like Edward VIII, that guy who quit in the 30s so that he could marry some American golddigger. He's revered in #menswear circles for the influence he had on stuff like suits and ties and shoes (much of what we consider timeless style today was pioneered by him) but holy shit what a moran, right? In the shoe, he's featured in an episode of Season 1 and a 2nd one in Season 2, in perhaps the most unflattering portrayal I've ever seen. I am not convinced that he was the full-blown Nazi they suggest he was, but it's pretty clear he was at best incompetent and more interested in his clothes than in being the moral center of what was in many ways the most powerful country on Earth.
BenM wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:45 am I guess if you're not into period drama you might not care, but it's a really nicely executed attempt to dramatise the early reign of Queen Elizabeth. We're partway through season 2 at the moment.

It's not really my cup of tea but it's something to watch with the wife, she loves it. I can tolerate it, although the long dramatic montages for effect are starting to grate a little
I'm not liking all of it but for the most part it's quite refreshing in its depiction of these imperfect creatures. Mandatory mention: love Prince Phil's wardrobe. If you want superdapperdandy peacocking, then sure, the Duke of Windsor is good at that. But if you want understated masculinity, Philip is the way to go.

The real thing isn't too bad either. Fucking grey fox here.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:38 am

I think that quote is Carlin. Also, those pinstripes are tight.

How much longer before E&P is dead? You have an estimate?

stuffedsuperdud

Post by stuffedsuperdud » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:23 am

Oh yea @mgil the morning trousers are pretty on point. Fun fact: pinstripe refers to when you have very thin lines spaced very far apart, against a contrasting background. Likewise for its fuzzier cousin, the chalkstripe (named as such because it looks like it was drawn on the fabric with tailor's chalk). For morning dress though, you use.....neither! There are actually a few acceptable options, but Phil's is the most common one, called "cashmere stripe." Instead of a light stripe on a darker background, it consists of alternating black and gray stripes of roughly equal thickness. In this particular case, it might be my eyes playing tricks on me, but it almost looks like there are THREE stripes per repeating unit, a thin gray one, a thicker gray one, and a black one.

Oh, btw, these things were basically unavailable off the rack since even the goddamn Duke of Edinburgh himself only needs it like 2x a year, but then, randomly, discount online shirt store Charles Tyrwhitt started selling two: http://www.ctshirts.com/us/black-mornin ... ts&start=1 You can get a classic one with a black jacket, gray pants, and contrasting vest, or the slightly more casual all-gray one favored by Prince Charles. I'm thinking about getting one to troll my coworkers any time there's some obnoxious AM event. The hat is teeeeeccchnically required but I don't think anyone actually enforces that anymore.

E&P is more or less unreadable now.

slowmotion

Post by slowmotion » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:12 am

The contrast between the man in front ( is that Prince Philip? ) and the man in the back is rather large,
even tho they are both wearing the same style suit.

stuffedsuperdud

Post by stuffedsuperdud » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:34 pm

Right? It doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg, either. All the guy back there had to do was have a tailor clean up those pant legs and dial in the torso of the jacket and a bit and to 99% of eyes, his $500 rig is just as good as Phil's $7000 threads from Kent Haste and Lachter.

Daisy Knatchbull knows what's up:

She made waves a bit by being the first woman to wear a morning suit to the Royal Ascot and looked fantastic, amirite? I like how she balanced the very masculine shoulders of the coat with the silk shirt. Also, cool detail: notice that the pleats on her pants are on the backside instead of the front like one men's pants. Makes sense once you think about since it looks like with her body shape, she needs more room in the back, and if the fabric is cinched up via regular front pleats, it might warp the flow of the stripes on the pants. Ahhh must be nice to be able to wear something made specifically for you by your boss at Huntsman....

Less talky more lifty:
Clean and jerk
20kgx a few
40x3x2
60x3
70x2
80x2
90x1
100x1
105x1x2
108x1x4

There was a minor incident with one of the 108's where my back foot slipped, with my ankle spinning out my knee caving in. No harm no foul but scared the coach badly whoops.

stuffedsuperdud

Post by stuffedsuperdud » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:38 am

Went in today to do:

Deadlift:
20kgx 10
60x10
100x10
140x10x3

and bounced. Now I need to go help my friend's boyfriend buy his first proper suit because that is now my thing.

SeanHerbison
Zercher Pro

Post by SeanHerbison » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:04 pm

stuffedsuperdud wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:38 ambecause that is now my thing.
Did you not already realize that?

stuffedsuperdud

Post by stuffedsuperdud » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:33 pm

SeanHerbison wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:04 pm
Starting to seriously ponder how I can monetize this a little bit so that I can afford to spend more time at it......

Today went well enough and we ended up with a workhorse navy blue suit in hardwearing twill wool. Half-canvas, two button front, straight flapped pockets, medium-sized lapels, double vents in the back, brown horn buttons paired with flat front pants with belt loops. No frills except for a red paisley lining. He's for the first time in his life pretty stoked about proper adult clothes (he's a university lecturer gunning for that elusive tenure track in the humanities), and his girlfriend couldn't possibly be more thrilled. The buttons and the slight texture in the wool means the jacket can double as a blazer and go with chinos, gray flannel trousers, etc. As we were wrapping up, in his excitement he started asking about having a second, more casual blazer made ("tweed, with elbow patches"), but fortunately for his wallet, the Enzo guys won't let new customers order more than one at a time, in case the fit comes back screwed up.

This is the most excited I've ever been about a plain blue navy suit.

SeanHerbison
Zercher Pro

Post by SeanHerbison » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:06 pm

stuffedsuperdud wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:33 pmStarting to seriously ponder how I can monetize this a little bit so that I can afford to spend more time at it......
That's not a bad idea, you actually should spend some time thinking about how to do exactly that.

How do you even start to learn about this sort of thing?

simonrest
Objectifies Monotremes

Post by simonrest » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:20 pm

Surely there a heap of cashed up business jerks with no time or clue that you could fleece as a personal stylist?

SeanHerbison
Zercher Pro

Post by SeanHerbison » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:46 pm

I don't think he would even be fleecing them. I think he'd provide legitimately useful info. Unless you meant he'd be putting them in fleece. In which case, cool? I don't know, is that stylish? I'm pretty sure they make fleece suits.

(I've thought the word "fleece" too many times in a short period now. It's starting to not seem like a real word anymore.)

platypus
mammal?

Post by platypus » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:44 am

@stuffedsuperdud you could start a style blog, then when you start getting enough hits you could sell ad space or write an ebook and sell that.

Something like what this guy does http://ironandtweed.com/, but with a focus on suits.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:47 am

It’s time for @stuffedsuperdud to start the Men’s Fashion Linear Progression.

stuffedsuperdud

Post by stuffedsuperdud » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:55 pm

Hmmm this might be fun. I wasn't familiar with the Iron and Tweed guy. I like it but his output is pretty low, and fanbase small. My favorite one right now is probably www.hespokestyle.com. The guy puts out a ton of content, balances style and quality with affordability, teeters juuust on the edge of being a dandy but then dials it back, and, unlike all the DYEL nerds on places like Reddit, StyleForum, and Ask Andy, as well as several high profile blogs, he actually trains, which, lettucebeefrealidad, is like 80% of the style struggle. It'd be great to have a barbell version of what he has, but as a pessimistic realist (realistic pessimist?) it's going to be a long road getting there. No better time than right now to start though, right?

Speaking of training today I did:

Hang snatch + snatch 2+1
20kg x many
40x1
50x1
60x1
70x1x2
80x1x2

On the 80s, I had to take a step forward with almost each rep. Coach says that my upper body strength suxx0rz and that I need to get more jacked right quick.

OHS:
20kgx5
40x5
50x5
60x5
70x5
80x2

OHS is one of my favorite lifts but my left wrist continues to not like it. I cut it off here in the interest of fighting tomorrow.

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:32 am

stuffedsuperdud wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:33 pm
SeanHerbison wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:04 pm
Starting to seriously ponder how I can monetize this a little bit so that I can afford to spend more time at it......

Today went well enough and we ended up with a workhorse navy blue suit in hardwearing twill wool. Half-canvas, two button front, straight flapped pockets, medium-sized lapels, double vents in the back, brown horn buttons paired with flat front pants with belt loops. No frills except for a red paisley lining. He's for the first time in his life pretty stoked about proper adult clothes (he's a university lecturer gunning for that elusive tenure track in the humanities), and his girlfriend couldn't possibly be more thrilled. The buttons and the slight texture in the wool means the jacket can double as a blazer and go with chinos, gray flannel trousers, etc. As we were wrapping up, in his excitement he started asking about having a second, more casual blazer made ("tweed, with elbow patches"), but fortunately for his wallet, the Enzo guys won't let new customers order more than one at a time, in case the fit comes back screwed up.

This is the most excited I've ever been about a plain blue navy suit.
Of all the things I wear out at work meetings. I have to say, suspenders get the most comments. I need to up my suspender game. Give me the low down on proper suspender wearing!

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:55 am

mgil wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:47 am It’s time for @stuffedsuperdud to start the Men’s Fashion Linear Progression.
...could be:
MFLP
MLFP
MLPF

these letters/acronyms all look oddly familiar for some reason