Home gym equipment suggestions

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

Allentown
Likes Beer

Re: Home gym equipment suggestions

Post by Allentown » Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:50 am

pcolumbus wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 6:36 pm
zappey1 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 5:50 pm
pcolumbus wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:16 pm

3) Deadlift platform vs rolled rubber flooring
Due to the limited height, I'd prefer not to do a 2-3" platform in front of the rack for deadlifting - so that I can overhead press there without hitting the joists. If I had say 1" of rolled rubber flooring(Eg: Regupol), is that good enough to buffer the shock of deadlifts being lowered forcefully on occasion? Does this influence the choice of plates above?

Thank you for any information you can provide based on your experience!
I would also highly recommend a DL platform. I used to DL on horse mats for years with no damage but my goodness that thicker pad on the actual DL platform is great. They also have hangers for bands and things. I would also get a DL jack. That thing is great and I can't even think about loading plates like a peasant ever again! :lol:

I don't know all the exact dimensions of this stuff but if it can fit I would get one.
Yep, full size deadlift jack is on the list. Using a 5lb plate technically works, but the jack makes it effortless.

Almost everyone seems to be recommending a DL platform. I could put it to the side of the rack and not take up as much space. My primary hesitation with that is loading plates on to the bar involves a longer trip to the other side of the rack - not a big deal, just not as easy and symmetric as having the bar in front of the rack. Once we move in, I'll measure more accurately and see if I can press on 3 layer platform with shoes, while still remaining under the bottom of the joists. I had a 4" buffer between the top of my fists and the joists last time I checked.
I'm in camp "eh, deadlift platform meh"
My cage is on a platform, and I deadlift in the 3-4' in front of the cage. I used to deadlift in a 2' space in front of my cage. Any more than that always seemed like a waste of space for a garage gym.

I'd consider an air bike pretty essential home gym equipment.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:57 am

Allentown wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:50 am I'm in camp "eh, deadlift platform meh"
My cage is on a platform, and I deadlift in the 3-4' in front of the cage. I used to deadlift in a 2' space in front of my cage. Any more than that always seemed like a waste of space for a garage gym.

I'd consider an air bike pretty essential home gym equipment.
My DL platform is about 2' deep.
I have a block of wood i made for the mini jack to land on.
Lives in the corner there on the end when not in use.

James

Post by James » Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:08 am

I don't really have the room for a dedicated platform and I didn't feel like building one under my rack so I just cut 2x4' 3/4" sheets of plywood and stall mat to go on either side and two plywood sheets to stand on in the middle of the rack. The ones on the sides stay there and the middle sheets get leaned against a wall when not deadlifting.

Makes it really easy to get in there and clean every thing can just be leaned against a wall easily or carried outside for a wash.

EggMcMuffin

Post by EggMcMuffin » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:24 pm

How the FUCK do I make a deadlift platform that compensates for the slope of my garage? I do not know ANYTHING about woodworking and will probably fail at it, so is there any easy way for a layman to do it? I have an uncle who is a carpenter, but he don't speak English and even if I talk to him in Español he isn't really going to get WTF I am talking about.

It has to only be one/two layers of plywood as well, I can't do a full three ply as it would hit my garage door mechanism when placed underneath the rack

hector

Post by hector » Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:07 pm

LoudMuffin wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:24 pm How the FUCK do I make a deadlift platform that compensates for the slope of my garage? I do not know ANYTHING about woodworking and will probably fail at it, so is there any easy way for a layman to do it? I have an uncle who is a carpenter, but he don't speak English and even if I talk to him in Español he isn't really going to get WTF I am talking about.

It has to only be one/two layers of plywood as well, I can't do a full three ply as it would hit my garage door mechanism when placed underneath the rack
Would you have to move it? Or would you leave it in the same place for a long time?

Caveat: I don't know anything about building shit.

My stupid idea: Could you make a wood frame, drill it down into the floor of your ground, then put some kind of self leveling cement in the frame? (I guess you'd have a seal on the bottom of the deadlift platform so the self leveling cement doesn't come in contact with the actual floor of the garage.

I HATE the slope in my garage.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:39 pm

Step layering asphalt shingles underneath is a thing.

I actually took a slight slope out of mine using that principal, but with folded fabric between the platform and the hard foam insulation board it sits on.

layered from the front edge back a way.
Platform has been level since.
Several years now.

asdf

Post by asdf » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:56 pm

LoudMuffin wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:24 pm How the FUCK do I make a deadlift platform that compensates for the slope of my garage?
Building A Lifting Platform on a Slope
by Greg Everett

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:41 am

Wilhelm wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:39 pm Step layering asphalt shingles underneath is a thing.

I actually took a slight slope out of mine using that principal, but with folded fabric between the platform and the hard foam insulation board it sits on.

layered from the front edge back a way.
Platform has been level since.
Several years now.
Yup. Been down for at least 5 years here.

rjharris

Post by rjharris » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:28 am

LoudMuffin wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:24 pm How the FUCK do I make a deadlift platform that compensates for the slope of my garage? I do not know ANYTHING about woodworking and will probably fail at it, so is there any easy way for a layman to do it? I have an uncle who is a carpenter, but he don't speak English and even if I talk to him in Español he isn't really going to get WTF I am talking about.

I leveled the floor with self leveling concrete thanks to a tip from @Manveer. My garage was sloped irregularly in both dimensions, so it was really the only way to get a decently level floor. Just needed the concrete, a cordless drill, a cement mixing paddle, plastic sheeting to cover the floor so you can remove the self-level if need be, and some 2x4s to frame things up. Once the cement is dry, it should be level enough to put your mdf/plywood/rubber mats / whatever on top as you would on a flat surface.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:35 am

So moved into new house. Have 1200 sq ft barn to put my home gym in. Great, super excited. But, the concrete floor weeps moisture when it's humid out. Is this something that I can/should fix with a concrete sealer, or should I just build my platform as before and call it a day? ETA: For reasons that pass understanding the barn was built ~1 foot above the water table. This isn't "ohh it rains and the water runs down next to the barn" issue. I was aware of this before we moved in, and my initial plan was simply to build my platform out and keep everything off the floor, as I would in any garage anyway.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:57 pm

Step 4 is the key with this one:
https://www.catalystathletics.com/artic ... n-a-Slope/
If you (your Uncle) gets that angle right, and bisect that 2x4 perfectly, you get two angled boards there for every one cut.
Not hard to do.

============

Another "easier", but shittier way:
skip to 2:45

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:11 pm

5hout wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:35 am So moved into new house. Have 1200 sq ft barn to put my home gym in. Great, super excited. But, the concrete floor weeps moisture when it's humid out. Is this something that I can/should fix with a concrete sealer, or should I just build my platform as before and call it a day? ETA: For reasons that pass understanding the barn was built ~1 foot above the water table. This isn't "ohh it rains and the water runs down next to the barn" issue. I was aware of this before we moved in, and my initial plan was simply to build my platform out and keep everything off the floor, as I would in any garage anyway.
Yes, seal it. Epoxy is awesome, but can be a little expensive. Most sealants are actually garbage, the ones they sell at home centers and hardware stores. If you have a professional supply around, like Oldcastle-Adams (Adams-Oldcastle? I can't remember now, used to be Cemex, and a few other things before that) then I would reccomend something called Foxfire 5000. I know, the name us cheesy. It is approved by government agencies to be used on projects, comes with a 5 year warranty for the public, 10 year warranty for a contractor, and they use it on lighthouses. Water based, you put it down with a garden sprayer/pump bottle, and once it dries it literally looks like you didn't do anything. But it REALLY works, unlike the paraffin wax crap like Thompsons.

pcolumbus

Post by pcolumbus » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:58 pm

mgil wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:36 pm
You can add some 28” safeties (#3244) to the 3171 in addition to the beefy spotter arms (#3236 - worth it).

If you contact Legend directly, they can quote you the package price and usually there’s a solid discount. You’ll also save on shipping since they can just load it all on the same pallet.
@mgil I called Legend to ask for a quote on the 3171 rack. I need them to cut it down to 84" so it can fit in my basement and the sales guy said they can't modify the height from 89". I read on BB forums that Legend cuts down height for free.

Are you aware of anyone having custom height Legend racks ? Wondering if I should talk to a different sales person.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:58 am

@pcolumbus, I know they build the racks to order, so the shorter posts would seem to be not a big deal. I’d definitely reach out to a different sales rep. I think they are assigned territories based on location.

If someone from another forum could provide you an invoice with the post modification as evidence, it might help if you can’t get around that sales guy.

Another thought is to DM the social media accounts for Legend and ask.

brkriete

Post by brkriete » Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:09 pm

5hout wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:35 am So moved into new house. Have 1200 sq ft barn to put my home gym in. Great, super excited. But, the concrete floor weeps moisture when it's humid out. Is this something that I can/should fix with a concrete sealer, or should I just build my platform as before and call it a day? ETA: For reasons that pass understanding the barn was built ~1 foot above the water table. This isn't "ohh it rains and the water runs down next to the barn" issue. I was aware of this before we moved in, and my initial plan was simply to build my platform out and keep everything off the floor, as I would in any garage anyway.
I have never used concrete sealer so no experience with how effectively it seals out moisture like this (is it condensation or seepage?).

Most horse stall mats have siping or texture underneath so they don't trap moisture. A layer of horse stall mats might be a good additional layer of protection even if you are sealing as well. I'd also think about ventilation options like a window fan or dehumidifer, depending on how well the building is sealed.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:37 pm

brkriete wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:09 pm
I have never used concrete sealer so no experience with how effectively it seals out moisture like this (is it condensation or seepage?).

Most horse stall mats have siping or texture underneath so they don't trap moisture. A layer of horse stall mats might be a good additional layer of protection even if you are sealing as well. I'd also think about ventilation options like a window fan or dehumidifer, depending on how well the building is sealed.
Soooooooooooooo funny story. 6 inches of rain in 3 days, 2 months of rain, onto rock hard dried high-clay soil meant 6 inches of water in the barn. I was on vacation, but I had a stack of 45s on 3/4 inch plywood. 2 deep dishes, 4 skinnier 45s all stacked up. Came back to 2 deep dishes completely filled, and 3 out of 4 of the skinnier 45s on top filled as well. Water was mostly drained out by then, some puddles on floor. Got it opened up and drying out now. With this adventure I'm putting on hold any though of floor sealing in favor of drainage trenches (french and open swale) around the barn. It's not really a problem, but is an annoying mess at the moment. The plates are fine, but my knee wraps were in a bucket that fell over and are sopping wet.

Normally (i.e. pre-6 inch rain adventure) it's seepage up from below, but this has caused re-evaluation of my thoughts. I think new drains around should locally dry this spot out and solve both the high rain issue and the seepage issue. Plus I'm fat so the digging will be good for me.

pcolumbus

Post by pcolumbus » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:01 pm

mgil wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:58 am @pcolumbus, I know they build the racks to order, so the shorter posts would seem to be not a big deal. I’d definitely reach out to a different sales rep. I think they are assigned territories based on location.

If someone from another forum could provide you an invoice with the post modification as evidence, it might help if you can’t get around that sales guy.

Another thought is to DM the social media accounts for Legend and ask.
Asked the question on one of their instagram posts & they're going to cut it down by the 3 inches I need.

@mgil While I'm at it, thinking of getting a bench from Legend as well. Would you recommend the 3103 adjustable bench for mostly flat benching & occasional incline work? Wondering how it compares to Rogue AB-2 in terms of stability during flat benching and pad rigidity.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:41 am

@pcolumbus, I have the Legend flat utility bench, and it’s very well made. @AdamSkillin has the Legend adjustable bench and likes it.

My adjustable is a Rep Fitness because Legend wasn’t making a 12” wide bench at the time. They might make the wider pad now? If 10” wide is fine, the 3103 is a great piece of equipment and getting it at the same time as the rest might save a few bucks.

pcolumbus

Post by pcolumbus » Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:45 pm

mgil wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:41 am @pcolumbus, I have the Legend flat utility bench, and it’s very well made. @AdamSkillin has the Legend adjustable bench and likes it.

My adjustable is a Rep Fitness because Legend wasn’t making a 12” wide bench at the time. They might make the wider pad now? If 10” wide is fine, the 3103 is a great piece of equipment and getting it at the same time as the rest might save a few bucks.
Pulled the trigger on the 3171 rack cut down by 3 inches, with 5 pegs for weight storage. Added landmine attachment, flip-down safeties ,monster hooks and a deadlift jack. That gives me 8 weeks to get the basement gym space in order.

Decided to skip the Legend 3103 bench for now. I'm going to try out the Rogue flat bench with Thompson fat pad and add an adjustable as needed in the future.

FredM

Post by FredM » Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:49 pm

pcolumbus wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:45 pm
mgil wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:41 am @pcolumbus, I have the Legend flat utility bench, and it’s very well made. @AdamSkillin has the Legend adjustable bench and likes it.

Pulled the trigger on the 3171 rack cut down by 3 inches, with 5 pegs for weight storage. Added landmine attachment, flip-down safeties ,monster hooks and a deadlift jack. That gives me 8 weeks to get the basement gym space in order.

Decided to skip the Legend 3103 bench for now. I'm going to try out the Rogue flat bench with Thompson fat pad and add an adjustable as needed in the future.
Not sure if you saw, but Rogue just released their adjustable 3.0 which fixes basically every complaint people had. I'd have already ordered one if I hadn't just given them way too much money for other stuff. Will definitely be selling my Rep FB 5000 and cheap adjustable around Black Friday this year...