Thread for People who only take whey and sometimes creatine

What's a carb? A car part? What's a macro? A type of camera lens?

Moderator: Manveer

damufunman

Re: Thread for People who only take whey and sometimes creatine

Post by damufunman » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:04 pm

d0uevenlift wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:57 pm I think creatine might make more of an impact for runners, cyclists, etc. Powerlifting involves lifting something heavy for 30-50 seconds and then resting for 5-7 minutes. Not exactly all that demanding.
This goes completely against my understanding of what creatine does.
I thought that creatine supplementation supplies the creatine in creatine-phosphate, which is a buffer of phosphate for replenishing ATP during high intensity (short duration) work, ie what one would do in powerlifting.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:14 pm

d0uevenlift wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:57 pm I think creatine might make more of an impact for runners, cyclists, etc. Powerlifting involves lifting something heavy for 30-50 seconds and then resting for 5-7 minutes. Not exactly all that demanding.
damufunman wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:04 pm
I thought that creatine supplementation supplies the creatine in creatine-phosphate, which is a buffer of phosphate for replenishing ATP during high intensity (short duration) work, ie what one would do in powerlifting.
As i understand it, it also draws water into the muscle and aids/boosts MPS
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2109188/
i haven't read the actual scientific papers, (other than this abstract just now)
Last edited by Wilhelm on Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

d0uevenlift
Paparazzo

Post by d0uevenlift » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:15 pm

damufunman wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:04 pm
I meant to say sprinters and cyclists. Anything anaerobic. That includes lifting weights, but the benefits seem negligible.

Shane
Great Old One

Post by Shane » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:24 pm

Creatine & Whey devotee also. Wouldn't rule out a psychological element, but creatine gives me a big boost and that swoleness feeling after a few days on. Vegeterian, so probably a better case for taking it than somebody pounding the meat on the regular.

KOTJ
Superstar

Post by KOTJ » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:39 pm

Just ordered some BSN Syntha 6 in chocolate-peanut butter.

Probably the best tasting protein I've ever had. Id call it delicious and enjoyable. ON is ok and a bargain. Bought it a while ago based on Cody's recommendation. Stick with ON due to Costco value, but I'm probably going to start getting this every 2-3 months.

Protein: 22g
Fat: 6g
Carbs: 14g
Fiber: 5g

MattimusMaximus

Post by MattimusMaximus » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:13 pm

Creatine 5g and 2 shakes of PVL Essentials whey per day keeps sarcopenia away :) Gotta make sure dat der Leucine content is 3-4g per serving to spike dat der muscle protein synthesizers!

I used to work for a supplement store years ago and I can tell you first hand that most of the supps out there are bs and don't do much of anything. Btw what's the deal with people who don't train taking pre-workout supps nowadays? It's like they're replacing coffee with pre-workout...

slowmotion

Post by slowmotion » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:15 pm

Found some creatine in the back of the cupboard, so I am going to star taking it again and see if it makes a difference. I expect incredible ganzz.

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:13 am

KOTJ wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:39 pm Stick with ON due to Costco value,
My Costco sells cytosport whey at maybe 60% of the price of their ON. Is ON worth the extra $ over cytosport whey? they taste similar to me

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:18 am

augeleven wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:13 am
KOTJ wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:39 pm Stick with ON due to Costco value,
My Costco sells cytosport whey at maybe 60% of the price of their ON. Is ON worth the extra $ over cytosport whey? they taste similar to me
I remember Muscle Milk (or you talking about non-branded cytosport?) being pretty gag-worthy, or at least couldn't take it every day.
ETA: I didn't really know better back then (assuming the leucine/BCAA content is the important metric vs just protein amount), but I think I did get the cytosport stuff for a while just for this reason.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:14 am

MattimusMaximus wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:13 pm Btw what's the deal with people who don't train taking pre-workout supps nowadays? It's like they're replacing coffee with pre-workout...
Carried a box of supplements into my BIL's house. Scivation Xtend, Syntha-6 Protein... I think he might get a discount from his employer, he's a PT. Still, some pricy stuff for a guy with a single pair of 35lb plates, a treadmill, and a pair of 5lb dumbbells.

The Costco ON tastes better, and has more P/scoop than the Cytosport, IIRC.

MattimusMaximus

Post by MattimusMaximus » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:47 pm

Allentown wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:14 am
MattimusMaximus wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:13 pm Btw what's the deal with people who don't train taking pre-workout supps nowadays? It's like they're replacing coffee with pre-workout...
Carried a box of supplements into my BIL's house. Scivation Xtend, Syntha-6 Protein... I think he might get a discount from his employer, he's a PT. Still, some pricy stuff for a guy with a single pair of 35lb plates, a treadmill, and a pair of 5lb dumbbells.

The Costco ON tastes better, and has more P/scoop than the Cytosport, IIRC.
Ha no kidding!

That actually reminds me that a girl I work with was trying to lose weight this year so she hired a “trainer/fitness competitor” to write out a “diet” for her without any training protocol whatsoever. She also sold her Clen and told her it was a supp that would help her with weight loss. I couldn’t believe it when she told me :o the Syntha 6 is what sparked my memory of that because this same girl told me that’s what her “trainer” told her to buy.

Not sure why you’d hire a fitness competitor to meal plan for you when you don’t exercise.

SpinyNorman

Post by SpinyNorman » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:46 am

I go through quite a bit of whey (myprotein unflavored).

I've tried taking creatine a couple of times but I'm reasonably sure it resulted in asthma attacks, so I stopped taking it.

I have allergy induced asthma, but it takes quite a bit to set it off (being around cats is about the only sure way I've stumbled across). I probably average one attack about every two years. A few years ago I got a string of almost daily attacks that came out of nowhere. I wound up going to an allergist and was put on some daily meds which reduced the number of attacks I was getting. My dad was dying of cancer and some other shit was going on that I figured must be responsible. Sometime in there I quit taking creatine (having no idea that it may have been a contributing factor) and my dose of meds was tapered down and stopped when the attacks didn't return.

Sometime after all that I did some searching and found a not great rodent study and some anecdotes that indicated creatine might cause asthma issues for some people. A year or so ago I decided to try taking it again. The evidence against it was crap and the number of people who use it without issues is big. The attacks came back again in short order. I haven't taken any since then.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:40 am

SpinyNorman wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:46 am I go through quite a bit of whey (myprotein unflavored).

I've tried taking creatine a couple of times but I'm reasonably sure it resulted in asthma attacks, so I stopped taking it.

I have allergy induced asthma, but it takes quite a bit to set it off (being around cats is about the only sure way I've stumbled across). I probably average one attack about every two years. A few years ago I got a string of almost daily attacks that came out of nowhere. I wound up going to an allergist and was put on some daily meds which reduced the number of attacks I was getting. My dad was dying of cancer and some other shit was going on that I figured must be responsible. Sometime in there I quit taking creatine (having no idea that it may have been a contributing factor) and my dose of meds was tapered down and stopped when the attacks didn't return.

Sometime after all that I did some searching and found a not great rodent study and some anecdotes that indicated creatine might cause asthma issues for some people. A year or so ago I decided to try taking it again. The evidence against it was crap and the number of people who use it without issues is big. The attacks came back again in short order. I haven't taken any since then.
You're supposed to eat it, not snort it.

SpinyNorman

Post by SpinyNorman » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:43 am

damufunman wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:40 am You're supposed to eat it, not snort it.
Hmm, must have missed that part of the instructions.

Now that you bring it up I was rather vague in my post. Well, I did drink it, so direct lung irritation wasn't the problem.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:53 am

SpinyNorman wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:43 am
damufunman wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:40 am You're supposed to eat it, not snort it.
Hmm, must have missed that part of the instructions.

Now that you bring it up I was rather vague in my post. Well, I did drink it, so direct lung irritation wasn't the problem.
Just being a smart-ass. Interesting bit of information though.

SpinyNorman

Post by SpinyNorman » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:23 pm

damufunman wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:53 am Just being a smart-ass. Interesting bit of information though.
Yeah, I know.

I'm still in a bit of disbelief that's what the problem was. I'm convinced enough not to try again though.

ithryn

Post by ithryn » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:44 pm

That's me. Whey because necessity.

I've got some beta alanine but don't feel like taking it. Especially not three times a day, haw.

Creatine but I've never noticed an effect. The science makes sense to me though.

That's weird about the asthma, I mean creatine is in food right? But yeah, I'm googling now, there's mice studies where it heightens the airway inflammation cascade.

SpinyNorman

Post by SpinyNorman » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:05 am

ithryn wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:44 pm That's weird about the asthma, I mean creatine is in food right? But yeah, I'm googling now, there's mice studies where it heightens the airway inflammation cascade.
I've tried like hell to OD on steak, but I never suffered any breathing difficulties from doing so.

SJB

Post by SJB » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:50 am

SpinyNorman wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:05 am
ithryn wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:44 pm That's weird about the asthma, I mean creatine is in food right? But yeah, I'm googling now, there's mice studies where it heightens the airway inflammation cascade.
I've tried like hell to OD on steak, but I never suffered any breathing difficulties from doing so.
Don't chew so much and eat faster, breathing difficulties will come with more practice.

SpinyNorman

Post by SpinyNorman » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:59 am

SJB wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:50 am
SpinyNorman wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:05 am
Don't chew so much and eat faster, breathing difficulties will come with more practice.
I suck. Even my 5 year old daughter can figure this out. My wife had to give her the heimlich a couple months ago because she tried to eat too much stead too fast.