vax poll

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

Going forward, will you get additional Covid 19 vaccinations after this year?

I will likely get another C19 vaccine (upgrade) at the beginning of each new flu season?
7%
I will get a vaccine (upgrade) at whatever interval the CDC/my gov't says to do? (ex: new 'variants' )
57%
I am only getting vaccinated this one time only in 2021?
22%
I am not getting a C19 vaccine at all, now, or going forward.
14%

Total votes: 72

ChrisMcCarthy1979

Re: vax poll

Post by ChrisMcCarthy1979 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:52 pm

Until I become an expert in all the fields and related fields I'll probably do what's advised.

I can be a sheep like that.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:56 pm

I willn likely get a booster, because my wife will harass me into it. I have never had a flu shot, and plan on never getting one. Ever. I'm frankly not on board with the booster, I ffel like I played nice by getting the vaccine, let's not get carried away here.

mouse

Re: BOOSTER UPDATE

Post by mouse » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:05 am

mouse wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:58 am I'll probably get the ronajection at some point based on my false hopes that it will speed up the world going to back to only mildly dumb... but yeah probably never again...
I did... and it kinda sorta sped up my world going back to only mildy dumb for about 2 weeks, and then I realized I had been duped when the world decided it was still going to be afraid of everything, thusly my employer reneged on the deal, so:
mbasic wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:28 am How many of ya'll got your boosters already?
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that. They can boost this dick.

In recent news, my pregnant wife (much to my chagrin) finally allowed herself to be bullied and vaccine shamed by the news and her (seemingly increasingly legitimate) worries about being denied healthcare when it comes time to birth this child caved and got the J&J.

The fact that the nurses at the health dept treated her like some sort of experimental case (and called her as such) up to and including giving her a bunch of paperwork that encouraged her to sign up with the state so that they could 'follow and observe' her progress did very little to instill confidence in her decision, and she was rewarded with feeling like dogshit for the next 2 days...

For health and safety!

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Post by KyleSchuant » Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:56 pm

aurelius wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:21 amPlus: I want to do my part to make sure we never go through this close down bullshit again.
That was my theory, too.

The Northern Territory here in Australia currently has 89% first dose, 76% second, and 3 (three) cases - and is in lockdown.

Meanwhile New South Wales opened up on 80% and 1,500 cases a day.

Unfortunately it's not about vaccination levels or case numbers, and certainly not science, still less public health advice - it's politics.

For my part, I would not go for a booster shot. Our former colony and impoverished neighbour Papua New Guinea is on something like 5% vaccination. I do not think a Western country should be getting a third dose when a Third World country has not yet had its first.

Philbert

Post by Philbert » Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:35 pm

KyleSchuant wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:56 pm
aurelius wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:21 amPlus: I want to do my part to make sure we never go through this close down bullshit again.
That was my theory, too.

The Northern Territory here in Australia currently has 89% first dose, 76% second, and 3 (three) cases - and is in lockdown.

Unfortunately it's not about vaccination levels or case numbers, and certainly not science, still less public health advice - it's politics.

For my part, I would not go for a booster shot. Our former colony and impoverished neighbour Papua New Guinea is on something like 5% vaccination. I do not think a Western country should be getting a third dose when a Third World country has not yet had its first.
I would agree with you regarding the first dose/third dose irrationality if first world countries were not discarding expiring vaccines. Distribution should have been planned better, but now that it was not, declining a third dose for this reason is the adult equivalent of NOT eating all your vegetables because kids are starving in Africa.

51M0N

Post by 51M0N » Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:13 pm

KyleSchuant wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:56 pm.

The low vax rates in PNG has nothing to do with availablity. PNGs rates are due to mass anti-vax sentiment amongst the population https://theconversation.com/just-1-7-of ... rce-170876

hector

Post by hector » Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:05 pm

I got vaxxed early on. My employer requires it and I have a dumb, niche job that would make it a pain to hire on somewhere else.

If I'd known about the spike proteins circulating systemically rather than staying local, how terrible I would feel after the shot (and still do), and how ineffective the vaccine would be against subsequent strains (keeping fingers crossed the a.30 strain doesn't show itself beyond the 5 cases so far) then I would have reconsidered.

I think the upcoming, non-mmr, French vaccine based on the attenuated strain that exploits not just the spike protein, but also the capsid, looks like a better product that would offer a broader immunity with less downside. If I have to take a booster as a condition of my employment then I hope to take that one.

Alternatively, if I win PowerBall, I'll quit my job, get no booster,, and just get the Regeneron treatment in the unlikely scenario I come down bad with Rona.

neandrewthal

Post by neandrewthal » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:39 pm

Philbert wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:35 pm
That was my theory, too.

I would agree with you regarding the first dose/third dose irrationality if first world countries were not discarding expiring vaccines. Distribution should have been planned better, but now that it was not, declining a third dose for this reason is the adult equivalent of NOT eating all your vegetables because kids are starving in Africa.
Devil's advocate: Wasted doses sends a message. Taking doses shows there is demand. Refusing your vegetables wastes them and doens't help someone starving in Africa right now but while people keep eating their vegetables it creates demand and incentive to keep selling them here for higher prices rather than in Africa.

Philbert

Post by Philbert » Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:08 pm

neandrewthal wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:39 pm
Philbert wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:35 pm
That was my theory, too.

Devil's advocate: Wasted doses sends a message. Taking doses shows there is demand. Refusing your vegetables wastes them and doens't help someone starving in Africa right now but while people keep eating their vegetables it creates demand and incentive to keep selling them here for higher prices rather than in Africa.
Yes, except that in both cases, market signaling is mostly broken, and distribution is a bigger problem than supply. Parents are not going to stop buying vegetables because their kids refuse to eat them. Governments have not stopped buying vaccines because their citizens refuse to take them. Note I do not intend to imply refusing vaccines is the health equivalent of a vegetable free diet, nor that governments should think of themselves as possessing parent-like authority and responsibility for the health of citizens.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:05 pm

https://nypost.com/2022/03/13/pfizer-ce ... NYPTwitter
"Most people will need to get a fourth COVID-19 vaccine dose to be protected from the virus, the head of Pfizer said on Sunday.
“It is necessary for most” people, CEO Albert Bourla said during an interview on CBS’s “Face The Nation” when asked if Americans can expect to get annual COVID booster shots every fall."

dw

Post by dw » Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:13 pm

I look forward to it.

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:27 am

mbasic wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:05 pm https://nypost.com/2022/03/13/pfizer-ce ... NYPTwitter
"Most people will need to get a fourth COVID-19 vaccine dose to be protected from the virus, the head of Pfizer said on Sunday.
“It is necessary for most” people, CEO Albert Bourla said during an interview on CBS’s “Face The Nation” when asked if Americans can expect to get annual COVID booster shots every fall."
This is that meme from the Office where Dwight is eating his canned food rations and Jim is teasing him about the timeline for when the apocalypse might happen...

2 doses? Absolutely...

3 doses? Perhaps...

4 doses? Seems reasonable...

36 doses? That's a distinct possibility...

hsilman
✓ Registered User

Post by hsilman » Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:02 am

This just in, company who manufacturers product anticipates need for product in the future.

Anyway, technically true if for some reason you want to be "protected from Covid" in the future. But it looks like Covid is #sufferingfromsuccess like all other good diseases and has morphed itself into what some people pretended it was all along, just another cold/flu thing that will be the cause of death for a few people each year but nothing we're worried about.

Already, no one is talking about whatever "new variant" has cropped up. That "trucker convoy" was a joke because they failed to read the room. Why protest something that was being dismantled before you even started your protest?

It looks like the last grasps of a news cycle before they figure out what to focus on next.

While it's true that some of this stuff is taking way too long to roll back, and being delayed for no apparent reason(masks on planes until middle of April? Really?) I'm shockingly not seeing us descend into a totalitarian hellhole where politicians and scientists "refuse to give up their new power".

Weird.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:45 am

hsilman wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:02 am This just in, company who manufacturers product anticipates need for product in the future.

Anyway, technically true if for some reason you want to be "protected from Covid" in the future. But it looks like Covid is #sufferingfromsuccess like all other good diseases and has morphed itself into what some people pretended it was all along, just another cold/flu thing that will be the cause of death for a few people each year but nothing we're worried about.

Already, no one is talking about whatever "new variant" has cropped up. That "trucker convoy" was a joke because they failed to read the room. Why protest something that was being dismantled before you even started your protest?

It looks like the last grasps of a news cycle before they figure out what to focus on next.

While it's true that some of this stuff is taking way too long to roll back, and being delayed for no apparent reason(masks on planes until middle of April? Really?) I'm shockingly not seeing us descend into a totalitarian hellhole where politicians and scientists "refuse to give up their new power".

Weird.
I was out running errands this past weekend and noticed a group of about 10 to 15 people -- half of them kids -- standing around on a pedestrian overpass above the traffic lanes. They had signs that said stuff like "Thank you #FreedomConvoy" and a few them were waving Ol' Glory around like they just won something. I could even make out that fake "woo!" scream that some people do when they go to sporting events that they don't really care about but get singled out on the jumbotron or a news camera and feel compelled to feign excitement.

They were throwing something in the air that I assumed were masks; were it not for a few weird drivers in front slowing down for reasons I don't understand, I probably wouldn't have noticed any of it. I thought I was in the minority for believing that the freedom convoy spectacle didn't actually accomplish anything besides a few still-life photo ops and transitional water cooler talk. Seemed to me that the novelty of the mask mandate hysteria was already waning, and people were already looking for the next thing to feel outraged about, so the timing of this public gathering seemed odd, especially since a lot of people down here simply stopped following the mandates (without theatrics) well before our governor rescinded them.

Then again, I don't discuss masks with anybody, so maybe I missed something. I lost interest in the mandate scares a long time ago, and merely giggled at the ill-timed convoy thing before moving on with life.

So another anecdote to add to the pile. Time for some video games.

neandrewthal

Post by neandrewthal » Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:45 pm

I wonder how many of the 62% would change their votes now if given the chance. Seems to me at this moment that the 6% made the more reasonable choice.

dw

Post by dw » Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:23 pm

neandrewthal wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:45 pm I wonder how many of the 62% would change their votes now if given the chance. Seems to me at this moment that the 6% made the more reasonable choice.

How so?

ColonelMoutarde

Post by ColonelMoutarde » Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:11 am

My reasoning is based on a risk/benefit analysis. Benefits: it might protect me from a disease, it is easily available and free, it is validated by all of the scientific data we have so far. Risks: none.

GlasgowJock

Post by GlasgowJock » Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:51 am

neandrewthal wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:45 pm I wonder how many of the 62% would change their votes now if given the chance. Seems to me at this moment that the 6% made the more reasonable choice.
I was part of that initial '62%' and would change my vote; I never got my third jab back in January.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:44 am

I've got my 3, likely won't get more until next fall assuming this is still a thing. Just add it to my flu shot.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:33 am

I wish I would've rephrased the original selections/options a bit differently