Interview with Author of "Muscle" Sam Fussell

Powerlifting, Olympic Weightlifting, Strongman, Highland Games

Moderator: Manveer

5hout

Interview with Author of "Muscle" Sam Fussell

Post by 5hout » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:16 pm

I haven't read the book, but I came across this interview (no clue what the rest of the linked site is like):

http://www.drmichaeljoyner.com/sam-fuss ... of-muscle/

It's fairly interesting, academic guy that fell into bodybuilding and then got out. I will say, it sounds like his training was less-than-optimal and that his training methodology (from the interview it seemed to be lift heavy, inject more) might have colored his appreciation of the sport. Also, he complains about why don't bodybuilders use their muscles, knows power lifting existed, but stuck with bodybuilding and then ragequit the sport.

"One startling moment for me was reading an article about Tom Platz, who, once he retired, talked about exactly what he took. I was blown away because at the time, I took more and looked nothing like Tom Platz."

Thought some people here might like the interview. EDIT: A quick check of openpowerlifting shows he never competed.

dw

Re: Interview with Author of "Muscle" Sam Fussell

Post by dw » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:51 pm

Thanks, very good read.

I thought he went off the rail a bit with the authenticity boasting (very Asgaardian imo).

I also wonder if there's any sense to the stuff about super-setting and physique flow. Sounds voodoo.

asdf

Post by asdf » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:10 pm

I remember reading that book about 30 years ago. It came out around the same time as Harry Crews's novel "Body." I liked both of them.

psmith

Post by psmith » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:56 am

Oh man, I love this interview. The book was good too.

You aren't by any chance reading Astral Codex Ten these days, OP?

5hout

Post by 5hout » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:01 am

psmith wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:56 am Oh man, I love this interview. The book was good too.

You aren't by any chance reading Astral Codex Ten these days, OP?
Yup, got it from the comments in the post on his Dad's book.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:12 pm

The book must be better than the interview. He just seems like an insufferable twat in the interview.

brkriete

Post by brkriete » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:09 am

Hardartery wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:12 pm The book must be better than the interview. He just seems like an insufferable twat in the interview.
Thought the same thing. One of those guys who thinks he is SOOOOO MUCH BETTER than everyone around him. "I'm the only one in the publishing office who actually reads books" "All these other losers are juicing for the WRONG REASONS."

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:50 pm

brkriete wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:09 am
Hardartery wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:12 pm The book must be better than the interview. He just seems like an insufferable twat in the interview.
Thought the same thing. One of those guys who thinks he is SOOOOO MUCH BETTER than everyone around him. "I'm the only one in the publishing office who actually reads books" "All these other losers are juicing for the WRONG REASONS."
So it's not just me then. Good.

ChrisMcCarthy1979

Post by ChrisMcCarthy1979 » Fri May 14, 2021 8:37 am

As I recall one of the points of the book was that he was pretty much an insufferable twat anyway...kinda runs in the Family, I think. :)