Stupid Questions Thread - Nutrition

What's a carb? A car part? What's a macro? A type of camera lens?

Moderator: Manveer

Tommy1507

Re: Stupid Questions Thread - Nutrition

Post by Tommy1507 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:58 am

What are reliable and easy measurements besides the mirror that indicate if too much fat is put on a bulk/massing phase? Is it true that if my waist circumference goes up, fat is stored because hypertrophy gains are marginal in these region? I saw some users suggested to bulk between some waist sizes, for example 31-34 inches.
So even with an moderate weight gain, lets say 0,5-0,75kg per month it is expected that the waist size increases. Or is it possible that the individual fat distribution differs so that fat is stored at other regions of the body and while the waist size stays the same, fat is stored?

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:28 am

Tommy1507 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:58 am Or is it possible that the individual fat distribution differs so that fat is stored at other regions of the body and while the waist size stays the same, fat is stored?
Yes, genetics do matter.

Depending on access, getting blood panels is useful here also, I think.

A skin caliper with multiple measurements is a good tracking tool.

Tommy1507

Post by Tommy1507 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:53 am

mgil wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:28 am

I heard of them. But also that they are not easy to use for a reliable outcome. But maybe thats not important as long as i am doing the same mistake every time taking a measurement

lheugh

Post by lheugh » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:02 am

The utility of skinfold measurements depends on how you use the data. An expert assessor (think 1000s of measurements) can expect an error rate of about 5% in either direction per measurement. If you were to use the measurements in an equation, it would spit out such an erratic percentage that it loses much usefulness. However, if you were to track the sum of however many measurements you decide to take on say, a monthly basis, you'd be able to see if that sum is trending in any particular direction exceeding that 5% (give or take) error rate. The error margin, naturally, tends to increase when one is not as experienced in taking the measurements.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:06 am

Adding to what @lheugh is saying, if you’re not using the skin fold measurement to deduce what your total body fat is but rather using it to track the change in body fat (directly compared to prior skin fold thickness) the ability to track fat deposit thickness is pretty good, assuming you’re consistent with where you take the measurements.

lheugh

Post by lheugh » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:19 am

@mgil hit the nail on the head! If you're going that route, taking 3 separate measurements at the same site and taking the average for said site is a productive way for seeing the trend while attempting to minimise the noise.

Tommy1507

Post by Tommy1507 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:44 am

mgil wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:28 am
Depending on access, getting blood panels is useful here also, I think.

I think i am too cheap too put money on blood testing and maybe thats a bit of a overshoot.
But i will get a caliper and experiment with it. Thanks.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:23 am

I'm sure it depends on your individual bodyfat distribution but I do think that waist measurement is a good proxy for bodyfat changes in most men who store fat predominantly in the midsection (as I understand it women tend to store bodyfat more in hips/butt/thighs and breast tissue so probably different for them).

I just measure my waist, chest, and hip measurements once a month on a cut. That's long enough for me to see meaningful changes and from doing this over time I can see that my waist measurement is closely correlated with body fat. It drops consistently with steady weight loss and after a certain point (provided I'm lifting consistently) the other two measurements start to level off while the waist continues to drop almost linearly with weight on the scale.

I have a pair of calipers somewhere but I never figured out how to be consistent with them. I could take the same measurement three times in a row and it would be wildly different, so I don't even bother. Maybe I've just never been lean enough for them to be useful.

Tommy1507

Post by Tommy1507 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:55 am

TimK wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:23 am

I just measure my waist, chest, and hip measurements once a month on a cut. That's long enough for me to see meaningful changes and from doing this over time I can see that my waist measurement is closely correlated with body fat. It drops consistently with steady weight loss and after a certain point (provided I'm lifting consistently) the other two measurements start to level off while the waist continues to drop almost linearly with weight on the scale.
I noticed the same correlation with my waist and weight when going from around 20/22% to around 15% bodyfat and would also assume that this indicates the "normal" fat distribution for men.
Since i have this spring loaded measuring tape, it' easy and quick to take realiable measurements. Would make sense to take them on a regular basis.
How long did your chest und hips measurments drop till they leveled out?

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:06 am

Tommy1507 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:55 am
TimK wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:23 am

I noticed the same correlation with my waist and weight when going from around 20/22% to around 15% bodyfat and would also assume that this indicates the "normal" fat distribution for men.
Since i have this spring loaded measuring tape, it' easy and quick to take realiable measurements. Would make sense to take them on a regular basis.
How long did your chest und hips measurments drop till they leveled out?
I don’t have any specific numbers off the top of my head, and they definitely keep going down the leaner you get because there’s still fat there, but the rate of change slows down a lot compared to waist measurement.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:07 am

Anybody ever heard of -- or tried -- something called Tamaflex? I got it for free due to "GNC Pro Day" (it was either that, or some ugly mask I wouldn't be caught dead wearing), and the guy at the counter told me it's for "joint health stuff."

I tend to shy away from anything beyond whey/casein, fish oil, and magnesium, so I don't have much of a "stack" as I've heard it called before.

Is this Tamaflex stuff just some of the usual neon-colored-marketing bullshit?

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:30 am

https://lieflabs.com/ingredient-spotlight-tamaflex/

I just use Carlson's lemon flavored fish oil (the higher potency variety) and buy bulk glycine powder for support of endogenous collagen production.
Glycine is cheaper than either gelatin or collagen, and is the limiting factor in endogenous collagen production given adequate dietary protein intake.
The other two main aminos that make up collagen are more readily synthesized.
I think there is a hard limit of somewhere around 4 grams you can produce of glycine a day.
Most diets don't supply as much as you can use daily.
If you eat a lot of salmon everyday, organ meats, and bone broth, you can get closer to maxing out your usable amount, but bulk glycine is a lot cheaper.
5 kilos from bulksup[plements is around $90.
I use about 9 grams a day, just in my shakes.

I have noticed it has improved my sleep quality as well.
Not in the accute manner sometimes mentioned, like 5 grams before bed and you go to sleep faster.
That's never worked for me.
But just with long term usage i have noticed my basic sleep quality is much improved.
I have a hard time falling asleep, but that has gotten much better over the last couple of years.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:57 am

Wilhelm wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:30 am https://lieflabs.com/ingredient-spotlight-tamaflex/

I just use Carlson's lemon flavored fish oil (the higher potency variety) and buy bulk glycine powder for support of endogenous collagen production.
Glycine is cheaper than either gelatin or collagen, and is the limiting factor in endogenous collagen production given adequate dietary protein intake.
The other two main aminos that make up collagen are more readily synthesized.
I think there is a hard limit of somewhere around 4 grams you can produce of glycine a day.
Most diets don't supply as much as you can use daily.
If you eat a lot of salmon everyday, organ meats, and bone broth, you can get closer to maxing out your usable amount, but bulk glycine is a lot cheaper.
5 kilos from bulksup[plements is around $90.
I use about 9 grams a day, just in my shakes.

I have noticed it has improved my sleep quality as well.
Not in the accute manner sometimes mentioned, like 5 grams before bed and you go to sleep faster.
That's never worked for me.
But just with long term usage i have noticed my basic sleep quality is much improved.
I have a hard time falling asleep, but that has gotten much better over the last couple of years.
I remember glycine being mentioned elsewhere (maybe earlier in this thread), so I was pretty sure that there's a much simpler means of supplementing joint health than going with some mystery product that I was given for "free."

I guess I wanted to feel okay about throwing this Tamaflex stuff in the trash. They went up five dollars on the price of a 2.5 lb tub of protein powder, but are also giving away a bottle of pills that's supposedly a forty dollar value, which makes me suspect the Tamaflex is either wildly overpriced or utterly fucking useless (maybe both).

Normally I throw away the free shit that GNC gives away, unless it's those Thin Mint-flavored packs of protein.

James

Post by James » Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:36 am

How come oranges are on the most part delicious but orange juice tastes like orange flavored vomit?

5hout

Post by 5hout » Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:31 am

James wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:36 am How come oranges are on the most part delicious but orange juice tastes like orange flavored vomit?
They pasteurize and store the juice for up to a year, then remix it with ethyl butyrate (synthetic orange flavor) and sell it. Under US law this is not required to be listed on the label as it is naturally occurring. However, almost all natural ethyl butyrate is removed during the process and then synthetic ethyl butyrate is added back in at the end. Fresh squeezed is the only way to go, during the appropriate season (i.e. nowish), from juice oranges and not table oranges.

James

Post by James » Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:49 am

That's awesome. Terrible tasting but great that people who like it can have nutritious seasonal juice year round.

Buying some juice oranges next time I see them.

James

Post by James » Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:49 am

Double post but whatever.

Bought some Florida juice oranges last night. I am legitimately upset with myself. 37 odd years living in Florida and that was the first time I've had fresh OJ.

So good. Takes three oranges to get a glass but a bag of 12 is $2.50 right now.

I've actually had a juicer (a cone with a pour spout on a glass jar) in my cabinet for years I remember buying it at a flea market but forgot about. Almost bought a new one.

DPriest442

Post by DPriest442 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:30 am

Is there any catch with Milk Powder when it comes to nutrition? It's about half the price of regular milk here in NZ and I consume a lot of milk as it is so it'd be nice to save some money on that

lheugh

Post by lheugh » Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:18 am

DPriest442 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:30 am Is there any catch with Milk Powder when it comes to nutrition? It's about half the price of regular milk here in NZ and I consume a lot of milk as it is so it'd be nice to save some money on that
Nutritionally-speaking, they're very similar (and are required to be). Regular milk tends to have a "better" flavour and a slightly better selenium, B-complex vitamin, and phosphorous profile. It is not sufficiently different to be concerned about though.

James

Post by James » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:36 am

If it takes three juice oranges to make a 240ml~ glass of orange juice is that three servings of fruit or one?