Space X

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

mikeylikey
Rabble Rouser

Space X

Post by mikeylikey » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:21 am

You guys watching this?

When I was a kid I read All The Books on the 60s space race and always felt gypped I hadn't been around to watch it develop. Getting to see Space X figure out how to land rockets back on the pad is kindof a nice consolation prize.

mbasic

Re: Space X

Post by mbasic » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:29 am

mikeylikey wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:21 am You guys watching this?

When I was a kid I read All The Books on the 60s space race and always felt gypped I hadn't been around to watch it develop. Getting to see Space X figure out how to land rockets back on the pad is kindof a nice consolation prize.
really having a hard time detecting sarcasm / seriousness on the board lately.

a quick google tells me they had an oopies

again

mikeylikey
Rabble Rouser

Post by mikeylikey » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:35 am

mbasic wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:29 am
mikeylikey wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:21 am You guys watching this?

really having a hard time detecting sarcasm / seriousness on the board lately.

a quick google tells me they had an oopies

again
I'm serious. It's fucking cool. When it works it's awesome, and when it explodes, that's pretty awesome too. What's not to like?

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:46 am

that rocket body is very 60's/retro/flashgordon looking

I'll give them that

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:08 am

mbasic wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:46 amthat rocket body is very 60's/retro/flashgordon looking
Intentional. They realized that due to advances in material science, the stainless steel designs from the 50's were actually really good and much more cost effective compared to the composite materials.

The design model designation often just designates a new manufacture process (such as 3D printing entire sections to eliminate joints).

Basically Space X is building a semi-truck to transport materials into low orbit. Which is step 1 to real space travel. It took over 20 shuttle trips to build the International Space Station. It would take the Starship 2 trips. Get starship working and we will have multiple space stations and space ships that only operate in space (no re-entry) in 10 years. Imagine a space ship that just does inter solar travel. Pretty Exciting.

NASA could never get Congress to fund such a 'mundane' endeavor. It was always step 1 in getting serious about inter solar space travel. But Congress will fund Space X to do it (because 'free' market). I'm rooting for them.

mikeylikey
Rabble Rouser

Post by mikeylikey » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:16 am

aurelius wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:08 am NASA could never get Congress to fund such a 'mundane' endeavor. It was always step 1 in getting serious about inter solar space travel. But Congress will fund Space X to do it (because 'free' market). I'm rooting for them.
The irony of course being that Space X is way cheaper than the NASA congress DOES fund. This is in large part because NASA has to keep a lot of contractors happy and create a lot of jobs in as many congresscritters' districts as possible. Space X builds mars ships out of a tent in Texas.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:53 pm

thanks for the explanation guys

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:03 pm

wait.

are we SURE on the payload thing per trip thing?

the "semitruck" analogy?

I see where this is better due to the whole platform being more reusable, staying in one piece, etc.
(compared to STS, big ass soviet style rockets, etc)

but are we sure?

Elon is a bit of a scammer.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:27 pm

mikeylikey wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:16 amThe irony of course being that Space X is way cheaper than the NASA congress DOES fund. This is in large part because NASA has to keep a lot of contractors happy and create a lot of jobs in as many congresscritters' districts as possible. Space X builds mars ships out of a tent in Texas.
100% in support of wasting tax payers money with endeavors like Space X.

mbasic wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:03 pmElon is a bit of a scammer.
Yes. Look at starship's payload compared to existing space transport systems.

Also, see how Musk sales starship. He uses all the right buzz words: Mars, Warp Speed, and Beaming technology to promote it to Congress.

In short, anyone that has read a basic hard sci-fi novel (population me) knows you do not build a spaceship that can land on Earth that goes to Mars. It 'costs' too much to escape Earth's gravity well. You can build a much better spaceship to do inter solar travel if it doesn't have to escape Earth's gravity well. But you first have to build the infrastructure in orbit to support that spaceship.

mettkeks

Post by mettkeks » Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:31 pm

aurelius wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:27 pm
mikeylikey wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:16 amThe irony of course being that Space X is way cheaper than the NASA congress DOES fund. This is in large part because NASA has to keep a lot of contractors happy and create a lot of jobs in as many congresscritters' districts as possible. Space X builds mars ships out of a tent in Texas.
100% in support of wasting tax payers money with endeavors like Space X.

mbasic wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:03 pmElon is a bit of a scammer.
Yes. Look at starship's payload compared to existing space transport systems.

Also, see how Musk sales starship. He uses all the right buzz words: Mars, Warp Speed, and Beaming technology to promote it to Congress.

In short, anyone that has read a basic hard sci-fi novel (population me) knows you do not build a spaceship that can land on Earth that goes to Mars. It 'costs' too much to escape Earth's gravity well. You can build a much better spaceship to do inter solar travel if it doesn't have to escape Earth's gravity well. But you first have to build the infrastructure in orbit to support that spaceship.
Look how he sold the hyperloop, or his battery advancements or how he talks about battery planes. Elon is full of shit.

Also, whats the purpose of getting shit into space? Space is so gigantic and theres nothing worth it in the reach of mankind.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:46 pm

mettkeks wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:31 pmAlso, whats the purpose of getting shit into space? Space is so gigantic and theres nothing worth it in the reach of mankind.
I disagree.

Just the resources available in the asteroid belt make investment in inter solar travel worth it. Imagine every metal available in quantities that essentially make them infinite resources. Just sitting in the asteroid belt. Space mining! Movies where aliens come to Earth for the resources were always dumb. There are more resources sitting in the asteroid belt with zero psychotic primates as residents that will try to nuke you.

This isn't even getting into the more bold proposals of terraforming Mars and moons to be able to sustain human life. Also, the so called space race (and military arms races) pushed technological development into areas that the market would have never looked at. the computer, GPS, the light and strong materials for space travel, and so on all started as a space/military need. The market immediately saw the potential and jumped on board once the initial development and research was completed (COSTLY).

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:01 pm

gonna pile on here
aurelius wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:46 pm Just the resources available in the asteroid belt make investment in inter solar travel worth it.

The only reason for space travel is the lessons learned / tech. gained in the pursuit/performance of said space travel and then said tech applied on earth for earth things.

We have absolutely nothing to gain from going to the moon, mars, or fuck .... the no man's land between Saturn and Mars....as far as the destination itself.

Re: Elon's catchy space names .... "Raptor Engines" . Yes he is good and marketing.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:06 pm

mbasic wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:01 pmWe have absolutely nothing to gain from going to the moon, mars, or fuck .... the no man's land between Saturn and Mars....as far as the destination itself.
This is you right now:

I kid. Imagine not having to pollute and destroy natural resources to obtain the resources to sustain civilization. I'd argue there is some benefit to that. Sure, the payoffs are not likely in my lifetime but still cool.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:08 pm

aurelius wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:06 pm
mbasic wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:01 pmWe have absolutely nothing to gain from going to the moon, mars, or fuck .... the no man's land between Saturn and Mars....as far as the destination itself.
This is you right now:

I kid. Imagine not having to pollute and destroy natural resources to obtain the resources to sustain civilization. I'd argue there is some benefit to that. Sure, the payoffs are not likely in my lifetime but still cool.
we'll all be dead from the fall out (nature AND geopolitical probs) from global warming by then

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:11 pm

mbasic wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:08 pmwe'll all be dead from the fall out (nature AND geopolitical probs) from global warming by then
Not true. Just A LOT of us will be dead (Unless we nuke ourselves). And air travel will be less reliable.

Rare earth elements...I wonder where we could find more of those?

mikeylikey
Rabble Rouser

Post by mikeylikey » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:28 pm

mbasic wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:01 pm
The only reason for space travel is the lessons learned / tech. gained in the pursuit/performance of said space travel and then said tech applied on earth for earth things.

We have absolutely nothing to gain from going to the moon, mars, or fuck .... the no man's land between Saturn and Mars....as far as the destination itself.
... and ...
mettkeks wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:31 pm

Also, whats the purpose of getting shit into space? Space is so gigantic and theres nothing worth it in the reach of mankind.
Because it's there. Seriously. What's the purpose of a symphony? Or the Indy 500? Or the world record domino falling-down chain?

Life shouldn't all be about subsistence and profits and things what makes sense on paper. We need things that are just plain inspiring too. If they serve some ancillary scientific or commercial purpose, super. And done with a significant fraction being Private Money* not Gub'mnt Taxes? What more could you want?

What is wrong with people? Walter Cronkite, a grown ass man, cried on TV when people landed on the moon. Not because it was scientifically beneficial or geopolitically advantageous. Just because it was awesome.

If you can't get excited about the fact that we might get to see people on fucking MARS in our lifetime I don't know what's wrong with you.

Last edited by mikeylikey on Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mettkeks

Post by mettkeks » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:33 pm

aurelius wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:46 pm

Just the resources available in the asteroid belt make investment in inter solar travel worth it.
When though? And just lol at inter solar travel.

Imagine every metal available in quantities that essentially make them infinite resources. Just sitting in the asteroid belt. Space mining! Movies where aliens come to Earth for the resources were always dumb. There are more resources sitting in the asteroid belt with zero psychotic primates as residents that will try to nuke you.
How much of these infinite ressources are there in less than 4% of the mass of the moon (0.012% earths [Edit: So we're clear: Moon is 1.2% of earth's mass]) spread around the whole outer solar system?
This isn't even getting into the more bold proposals of terraforming Mars and moons to be able to sustain human life.
THIS, or anything close to it, will never happen.

@mikeylikey Agree. Space travel should remain a hobby of some rich dudes spending their own money on it.
Last edited by mettkeks on Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JonA

Post by JonA » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:33 pm

aurelius wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:27 pm 100% in support of wasting tax payers money with endeavors like Space X.
Even better, its not actually tax payer money. They already spent all that.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:34 pm

mettkeks wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:33 pm mikeylikey Agree. Space travel should remain a hobby of some rich white dudes spending their own money the stole fair and square on it.
ftfy

mikeylikey
Rabble Rouser

Post by mikeylikey » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:36 pm

mbasic wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:34 pm
mettkeks wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:33 pm mikeylikey Agree. Space travel should remain a hobby of some rich white dudes spending their own money the stole fair and square on it.
ftfy