Fat loss Periodisation

What's a carb? A car part? What's a macro? A type of camera lens?

Moderator: Manveer

Salahudin

Fat loss Periodisation

Post by Salahudin » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:01 am

Hi Guys, how much truth is their in periodization of fat loss ala mike isratel, are such long diet pauses really necessary and limiting diets to 12 weeks

dw

Re: Fat loss Periodisation

Post by dw » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:06 am

Salahudin wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:01 am Hi Guys, how much truth is their in periodization of fat loss ala mike isratel, are such long diet pauses really necessary and limiting diets to 12 weeks

Didn't watch the video but possibly he's talking about cuts to bodybuilder levels, say going from 15%-10% or so.

Because in a vacuum no, such pauses are not necessary. Some very overweight people diet successfully for over a year.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:32 am

dw wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:06 am
Salahudin wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:01 am Hi Guys, how much truth is their in periodization of fat loss ala mike isratel, are such long diet pauses really necessary and limiting diets to 12 weeks
Didn't watch the video but possibly he's talking about cuts to bodybuilder levels, say going from 15%-10% or so.

Because in a vacuum no, such pauses are not necessary. Some very overweight people diet successfully for over a year.
This video has, similar to a lot of content made more for continuing education than for gen pop issues, very nuanced takeaways. Hard to sum up a 30+ min video but here goes:

1: 1% of bodyweight per week is the goal for most people.
2: >1% per week only for experts/provably tough people that tolerate it.
3: .5%-1% per week for gen pop, especially for people with compliance issues or no history of success (but some of these people might benefit from a far more aggressive approach).
4: If you are trying to diet under 13-15% bodyfat it is going to require special effort, periodization and has special concerns.
5: QoL may be drastically hit if you have perfect compliance for 12 weeks+, which may lead to overall failure, so consider cycling in maintenance periods. This applies to all, but especially to sub 13% dieting and to gen pop dieters with complications.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:08 am

Mike I reposts Dr. Spencer Nadolsky a lot on diet stuff on IG.

Mike I believes in balancing hormones out during maintenance phases.

Nadolsky posted that is someone claims their diet balances your hormones, they are full of shit.

There's likely something in the middle there. I do think that Mike's take is fueled by data on people with low BF cutting to really low levels. I think if your levels are higher than 12-15% (as a male), you can stay on a long-term cut.

CaptainAwesome

Post by CaptainAwesome » Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:57 am

My own personal experience has found sharp drop-offs in progress when cutting weight after 3-4 months of constant deficit. Granted, these were hard deficits. There were stretches where I lost 3 pounds a week (not just the initial transitory weight loss that comes when you get started cutting). Don't have a lot of experience with gentler weight cuts. I'm doing one now, simply because I got over 300 again. I'm already back under, but I wanna keep going a little bit, see if it's adversely affecting my lifting. The next time I try a big cut I'm going to experiment with a maintenance phase. I have seen at least one anecdote from my personal life where maintenance after a large weight loss did what it was supposed to.

quikky

Post by quikky » Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:24 am

CaptainAwesome wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:57 am My own personal experience has found sharp drop-offs in progress when cutting weight after 3-4 months of constant deficit. Granted, these were hard deficits. There were stretches where I lost 3 pounds a week (not just the initial transitory weight loss that comes when you get started cutting). Don't have a lot of experience with gentler weight cuts. I'm doing one now, simply because I got over 300 again. I'm already back under, but I wanna keep going a little bit, see if it's adversely affecting my lifting. The next time I try a big cut I'm going to experiment with a maintenance phase. I have seen at least one anecdote from my personal life where maintenance after a large weight loss did what it was supposed to.
I have observed a somewhat similar phenomenon personally. It seems cutting for longer than about 3 months seems to cause more rapid muscle loss. My next cut will be 8 weeks of cutting followed by 4 weeks of maintenance for this reason. Just seems like the body is more ready to lose muscle after a more prolonged deficit. Not sure if I am doing something wrong, but I have observed this happening multiple times.

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:47 pm

I just start to lose my mind at about the 3 month mark.

CaptainAwesome

Post by CaptainAwesome » Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:44 pm

quikky wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:24 am
CaptainAwesome wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:57 am My own personal experience has found sharp drop-offs in progress when cutting weight after 3-4 months of constant deficit. Granted, these were hard deficits. There were stretches where I lost 3 pounds a week (not just the initial transitory weight loss that comes when you get started cutting). Don't have a lot of experience with gentler weight cuts. I'm doing one now, simply because I got over 300 again. I'm already back under, but I wanna keep going a little bit, see if it's adversely affecting my lifting. The next time I try a big cut I'm going to experiment with a maintenance phase. I have seen at least one anecdote from my personal life where maintenance after a large weight loss did what it was supposed to.
I have observed a somewhat similar phenomenon personally. It seems cutting for longer than about 3 months seems to cause more rapid muscle loss. My next cut will be 8 weeks of cutting followed by 4 weeks of maintenance for this reason. Just seems like the body is more ready to lose muscle after a more prolonged deficit. Not sure if I am doing something wrong, but I have observed this happening multiple times.
Could just be since I tend to cut hard, I haven't tried a long but slow one before. Hormonal shit definitely went on, I've seen it in blood panels. Had a no-shit low-t diagnosis when I was that long into a cut. Not the often liberal diagnosis you get from TRT clinics. 150 ng/dl or so. The kind of result that will even get a very reserved GP to do something. TSH was also pretty damn high too, if I recall. Definitely not an "all in your head" thing like some people think.