Annoying AF that Titan hasnt Made an Open Ended Trap Bar

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

hector

Annoying AF that Titan hasnt Made an Open Ended Trap Bar

Post by hector » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:43 pm

Subject says it all.

murphyreedus

Re: Annoying AF that Titan hasnt Made an Open Ended Trap Bar

Post by murphyreedus » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:12 am

I'm surprised they haven't, though theirs would probably look more like the blah Bells of Steel bar than something from Kabuki/Intek.

hector

Post by hector » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:55 pm

murphyreedus wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:12 am I'm surprised they haven't, though theirs would probably look more like the blah Bells of Steel bar than something from Kabuki/Intek.
I would be ok with a little lesser quality for a lesser price. Like you, I am confused about why they haven't released one.
I also don't understand why they f'd their V2 trap bar and narrowed it down to 22 inches.

I have heard mixed reviews of the BOS one.

There's a new Trap Bar coming out from a company called MetalShop Fitness. Will be $549 shipped. Am leaning toward getting that one. Looks as good (to my untrained eye) as Kabuki or Eleiko.

macmadnz

Post by macmadnz » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:52 pm

I’m looking at this one, as the only one available to order in NZ. The eleiko and Kabuki are close to $2000 each once shipping is included.
https://www.clusterfitness.co.nz/produc ... adlift-bar
Lots of their other stuff is same as Titan, I have their SSB which is as far as I can tell identical, and the Buffalo bar which is pretty similar to the Yukon.

hector

Post by hector » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:47 pm

macmadnz wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:52 pm I’m looking at this one, as the only one available to order in NZ. The eleiko and Kabuki are close to $2000 each once shipping is included.
https://www.clusterfitness.co.nz/produc ... adlift-bar
Lots of their other stuff is same as Titan, I have their SSB which is as far as I can tell identical, and the Buffalo bar which is pretty similar to the Yukon.
That looks nice!
Resembles the Eleiko, but has high grips.
I would buy it.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:54 pm

I don’t get the obsession with different grip diameters on these bars, especially when they are not easily swappable and they don’t sell them separately (which is true for the Vulcan bar at least). I would want the same diameter on both high and low handles... and to have them be the same width apart also.

hector

Post by hector » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:05 pm

TimK wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:54 pm I don’t get the obsession with different grip diameters on these bars, especially when they are not easily swappable and they don’t sell them separately (which is true for the Vulcan bar at least). I would want the same diameter on both high and low handles... and to have them be the same width apart also.
Agree on same width apart.
Yeah, I would just want my single preferred width on all handles. A super fat handle might be fun, but only if they were easy to switch out. I think this is what Kabuki offers with their "love handles."

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:13 am

hector wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:05 pmA super fat handle might be fun, but only if they were easy to switch out. I think this is what Kabuki offers with their "love handles."
They are swappable but you need to bust out a wrench to do it.

The standard Kabuki bar comes with one set of 1" and one set of 1.5"... so one handle is 25.4mm and the other is 38.1mm. Neither is in the normal 27-29mm range of barbells. It's weird to me but whatever. At least with Kabuki you can get another set of whichever handle you prefer so that high and low match, although it will cost you an extra $55-$65. Maybe if you ask for both the same they will do it, I don't know. Kind of doubt it though.

The Love Handle can be set up to either be fixed or spinning, which I guess is cool if you want to use it for grip work.

But fat grip stuff just doesn't really appeal to me personally. In a few years when I've completely despaired of hitting any other types of PRs, I'll probably change my mind and get really into grip stuff, lol.

hector

Post by hector » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:39 am

TimK wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:13 am
hector wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:05 pmA super fat handle might be fun, but only if they were easy to switch out. I think this is what Kabuki offers with their "love handles."
They are swappable but you need to bust out a wrench to do it.

The standard Kabuki bar comes with one set of 1" and one set of 1.5"... so one handle is 25.4mm and the other is 38.1mm. Neither is in the normal 27-29mm range of barbells. It's weird to me but whatever. At least with Kabuki you can get another set of whichever handle you prefer so that high and low match, although it will cost you an extra $55-$65. Maybe if you ask for both the same they will do it, I don't know. Kind of doubt it though.

The Love Handle can be set up to either be fixed or spinning, which I guess is cool if you want to use it for grip work.

But fat grip stuff just doesn't really appeal to me personally. In a few years when I've completely despaired of hitting any other types of PRs, I'll probably change my mind and get really into grip stuff, lol.
As a weak person who rarely PRs, I already love grip stuff!!! Actually a lot of fun.

But, after buying lots of grip equipment, I'm realizing that I think all you really need to do to get good at all the grip stuff is lots of farmers walks. I think that translates into everything.

Maybe you need specialized work for pinch stuff, but im not sure.

Anyway, I broke down and almost ordered the Eleiko trap bar last night, but Eleiko is closed until the 11th. Closing after New Years when people are spending money to buy fitness equipment that they imagine will help them realize their resolutions is a weird time to close. But whatever. Probably good I didn't drop $900.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:04 am

hector wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:39 am Anyway, I broke down and almost ordered the Eleiko trap bar last night, but Eleiko is closed until the 11th. Closing after New Years when people are spending money to buy fitness equipment that they imagine will help them realize their resolutions is a weird time to close. But whatever. Probably good I didn't drop $900.
I'm pretty sure i remember you posting something like "i don't want to spend too much" when you first started looking at doing the home gym thing.

You've made us all proud since then though. :lol:

hector

Post by hector » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:22 am

Wilhelm wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:04 am
hector wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:39 am Anyway, I broke down and almost ordered the Eleiko trap bar last night, but Eleiko is closed until the 11th. Closing after New Years when people are spending money to buy fitness equipment that they imagine will help them realize their resolutions is a weird time to close. But whatever. Probably good I didn't drop $900.
I'm pretty sure i remember you posting something like "i don't want to spend too much" when you first started looking at doing the home gym thing.

You've made us all proud since then though. :lol:
Wilhelm, so true!!!!!!

I start off with a strict price limit of something like $200.
Then I start researching, learning about new features, before I know it I'm reading Chris Duffins' book and deciding that anyone with such a terrible childhood who's trying to make the world better must surely make great trap bars, then im getting frustrated at Kabuki's 20 week order fulfillment times and so I go over to the Eleiko site. . .

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:12 am

@hector if you do order it try the code “FITNESSSF2020”

I got 15% off with that, not sure if it’s still active but worth a shot. Ended up being “only” around $726 w/shipping. Also sold my Rogue TB-1 for $200 which further softened the blow. And then the I sent them an email complaining about a few minor cosmetic issues and they gave me an additional 20% ($136) refund. So I basically got it for $390! #winning

hector

Post by hector » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:44 am

@timK, will do! Thanks so much for the tip!

I think the site said they'll open back up on the 11th.

For awhile I was dead set against the eleiko because it didn't have high bars. Then I realized if I wanted to pull high I could just put the whole thing on blocks. Not an insurmountable obstacle.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:50 pm

hector wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:44 am For awhile I was dead set against the eleiko because it didn't have high bars. Then I realized if I wanted to pull high I could just put the whole thing on blocks. Not an insurmountable obstacle.
Yeah, pretty sure I bitched about that last year in a different open trap bar thread, but like you said, I can put it on blocks and realistically I don't know how often I would even do that. But I do know that I will most often be pulling from normal height and I prefer normal diameter grips (Oppen bar has 28mm). In the end the deciding factor was the Eleiko being rackable whereas the Kabuki and Prime bars are not. I've used it now for seal rows, seated presses, incline presses, and as camber bar for good mornings, and it works well for all of those things, so I'm glad I went this way. On the other hand, if you're just going to use it for deadlifts, the Prime bar seems like the best one to me because it just has one grip with an easily adjustable height.

hector

Post by hector » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:55 pm

TimK wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:50 pm
hector wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:44 am For awhile I was dead set against the eleiko because it didn't have high bars. Then I realized if I wanted to pull high I could just put the whole thing on blocks. Not an insurmountable obstacle.
Yeah, pretty sure I bitched about that last year in a different open trap bar thread, but like you said, I can put it on blocks and realistically I don't know how often I would even do that. But I do know that I will most often be pulling from normal height and I prefer normal diameter grips (Oppen bar has 28mm). In the end the deciding factor was the Eleiko being rackable whereas the Kabuki and Prime bars are not. I've used it now for seal rows, seated presses, incline presses, and as camber bar for good mornings, and it works well for all of those things, so I'm glad I went this way. On the other hand, if you're just going to use it for deadlifts, the Prime bar seems like the best one to me because it just has one grip with an easily adjustable height.
I loved the prime bar!
I looked up their address and was considering driving up there to skirt the shipping cost if that was an option.
Then yesterday they put up a notice that there was a long wait period.

The MetalShop bar had something similar to adjust the height of the grip, but shorter, only 3 or 4 holes in a shorter bar. I haven't heard back from the metalshop guy though so I'm leaning toward Eleiko when they reopen.

bobmen10000

Post by bobmen10000 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:50 pm

The knurling on the eleiko deadlift bar is sublime. I may prefer it to the more aggressive ohio power bar knurling at this point. Not a fair or direct comparison mind you but it does feel great in the hand. Of the three other trap bars I have used (the rickshaw doesn't have any knurling) it is by a wide margin the best feeling bar in the hands.

hector

Post by hector » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:36 pm

Eleiko is out of trap bars. Said hopefully more by Feb. FML.

hector

Post by hector » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:07 pm

Unfortunately MetalShop Fitness seems to have gotten out of the trap bar business before they even got in.
They changed their IG page to a new business, nothing about the trap bar on their webpage. Have sent DMs repeatedly saying "please take my money!!!" But no response.
This is too bad because their trap bar was affordable as far as high end trap bars go, only slightly more than a Rogue TB-1 shipped, and had, in my opinion, the best handle design of all the trap bars.
It also just looked cool.

macmadnz

Post by macmadnz » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:39 pm

Double post, deleted
Last edited by macmadnz on Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

macmadnz

Post by macmadnz » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:40 pm

Just received the cluster bar.
Pretty good, I’ve only previously used traditional diamond shaped bars, this is much better in terms of ease of loading and using.
30kg, knurling is decent, seems solidly made.
As most of the other cluster stuff is the same as Titan my guess is eventually Titan will make these.
Pretty rare for NZ and Australia to have decent options not available in the USA.