Just trying to be consistent

A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

allPrimes

Re: Just trying to be consistent

Post by allPrimes » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:47 pm

After a quick walk with the dog after finishing up work, I just realized that I feel fantastic. Four months back in to dedicated lifting with my eating and sleeping on point and I feel great.

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:17 pm

allPrimes wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:47 pm After a quick walk with the dog after finishing up work, I just realized that I feel fantastic. Four months back in to dedicated lifting with my eating and sleeping on point and I feel great.
Give it time, you'll be a little busted-up, angry stooge like the rest of us. 8-)

It was good to have you drop in!

allPrimes

Post by allPrimes » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:56 pm

Testiclaw wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:17 pm
allPrimes wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:47 pm After a quick walk with the dog after finishing up work, I just realized that I feel fantastic. Four months back in to dedicated lifting with my eating and sleeping on point and I feel great.
Give it time, you'll be a little busted-up, angry stooge like the rest of us. 8-)

It was good to have you drop in!
Not sure if this is a warning or encouragement!

Good to have dropped in. Thanks again for the invite! Learned a lot, just like last time. Had a good time. Just like last time.

kitionel

Post by kitionel » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:19 am

allPrimes wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:40 am
Pressing with a belt is weird. Don't think I'm using the belt correctly here. Using the belt for squats and DL makes sense to me but I think pressing with the belt...I'm just using it wrong. It doesn't seem to give me the same bracing I get when squatting or DLing.
Just be that personal counter-example guy I get bugger all out of the belt when deadlifting, and thus have completely abandoned it when pulling. However with the press I get at least a couple of kilos (or a couple of reps) out of a belt. I read a lot of people saying it works mainly because its a reminder to stay tight, and it could be that you don't have that problem.

allPrimes

Post by allPrimes » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:27 am

2020-01-16

No workout on Saturday but I skied pretty hard. And poorly. Just felt like I was back the whole time which, of course, made my quads en feugo. Should be a fun time under the bar for squats and pause DL today!

Rolling into week five of The Bridge program. Enjoying it but this week starts some variations that I've never done before, including pause pause deadlifts and pin squats.

allPrimes

Post by allPrimes » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:25 pm

2020-01-17

I skied hard yesterday and was concerned that it was going to affect today's session. Nope. I felt like I had a great squat session today.

Workout

Belted squats

4 @ 6 - 205
4 @ 7 - 220
3 x 4 @ 8 - 235, 235, 235

Tried to rest just as much as I needed and it was a great session. Also lifted with knee sleeves for the first time. All in all, felt like it was a really good squat session.

3ct Pause Bench

4 @ 7 - 115
4 @ 8 - 120
2 x 4 @ 9 - 125, 135

Based on meting with @Testiclaw the other day at OG, this is a reset of my bench set up and positioning. This set makes sense given the "the set up should be as bad as the lift" statement. I think I've got it down but it's all about positioning and resetting after each lift. Not certain if I'm hitting on my chest where I need to be but I'm focusing on pinched shoulders, engaged lats, flare, and well, all of it. Not easy, but will get better.

Deadlift, 2ct pause 1" off the floor

4 @ 7 - 205
4 @ 8 - 215
2 x 4 @ 9 - 225, 225

This was a first for me. I've never done pause deadlifts. Really felt it in my lower back but still felt like I was staying tight all the way through. VERY challenging!

---

Good session. GREAT squats today. Felt really good about it.

allPrimes

Post by allPrimes » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:56 pm

Not really training today but another hard ski day, including some hiking up to the 2nd Finger at Bridger. Good skiing! Like Saturday, I hope this doesn't impact the pin squats tomorrow!

allPrimes

Post by allPrimes » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:27 pm

Me likey not having hard ski days affect the next day's lifting. Although I was a bit sore last night, I bailed on the gym this AM and went this PM instead. A thing I learned: the afternoon gym crowd is mostly brosephs. Admittedly, my gray beard appears to get me automatic respect. Lots of yessir and no sir when I asked if they're using a rack.

Workout

Pin squat

4 @ 7 - 175
4 @ 8 - 185
2 x 4 @ 9 - 195

I've never done pin squats before so there was some learning going on. I learned that pin squats can be hard if you don't get down just right. It really helped me focus on feeling it in THE WHOLE FOOT THE WHOLE TIME. Beyond that, just generally challenging to stand them back up. But a new lift. Fun!

Press

4 @ 6 - 100
4 @ 7 - 115
5 x 4 @ 8 - 120, 115, 110 x 3

Did not like these today. Shoulders just feeling challenged today. Not really sure why but blah pressing today.

Barbell rows

8 @ 6 - 85
8 @ 7 - 105
4 x 8 @ 8 - 110, 110, 95, 90

I used the chest-supported row device today for this one so I'm not 100% on the weights. I need to look up the starting weight of just the bar/handle mechanism but I think it's close to 40-45lbs or so. A thing I noticed is that this was particularly challenging. Clearly, I was able to really focus on using my upper back for this lift rather than any sort of body english. I think that's a good thing? And hopefully less taxing on my lower back? Then again, maybe I should just drop weights on a bent-over row and do things lightly and work up instead of just trying to keep the weights up.

---

Sleeping well still. Eating on point. Feeling good about life, to be honest. I like that. SO's pop has been having some challenges recently and supporting SO through that can be hard but all in all, I feel like I'm recovering well. If the weather stays nice, I'd like to add my running back in. If I keep up lifting in the AM (which is the standard), then I should be able to run in the afternoon/evening and be recovered. Also, running is fun and is meditation. Also GPP. Also increased work capacity.

allPrimes

Post by allPrimes » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:27 am

GPP/light day this morning. In bed before 9pm and woke up at 4am. Dozed until 5 and to the gym. Ate well yesterday. Slept like a rock except to pee at close to midnight.

Workout

3pt dumbell rows

7min AMRAP. Ended up doing 40 rows per side at 40lbs.

Skull crushers

5x12 @ 50lbs

I need to focus on preventing my elbows from flaring when I do these. They're much harder when I prevent them from flaring too much which means that that's probably the right way to do them.

Dead bugs

7min AMRAP of isometric ab work.

Did a bunch. THey're hard and get harder as the time wears on but they're easier than they were four weeks ago.

Treadmill

30mins at 3.5mph with 2.5% incline

No biggie. Still not sure how to do an REP @6 here. If the sidewalks are nice later this week, I REALLY need to get my running back. Or my bike back in the trainer but that would require more garage organization.

---

Clock punch today.

I've been enjoying The Bridge from BBM. Though I don't know much about programming, I've been enjoying it for the past five weeks. Given I'm approaching the end of week five, I've been thinking of "what's next?" and found this image the other day from this link: https://www.barbellmedicine.com/wp-cont ... erview.png. Seemed like a good "map" to BBM's programs.

I have some time before summer and when I want to play outside so I'm considering starting something (after week 8 of The Bridge) I've never done before: some hypertrophy training. From what I've been reading, muscular size is a predominant factor in strength limitations so doing 8 weeks (or more?) of hypertrophy before summer might be a good way to 1. looked more jacked when I'm rocking my hiking and cycling shorts and 2. increase size so that when I start doing some focused strength training (to hit 300lb squat and 400lb deadlift later this year) I might have some size behind the muscles.

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:04 am

I also think Dr. Mike knows what he is talking about here.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... uYYKm9UqQQ

allPrimes

Post by allPrimes » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:22 am

In bed by 9 last night, up at 4:30. Maybe I only need 7.5 hours of sleep or something, because popping awake 30-45 minutes before my alarm goes off sure does suck. Supposed to be flying this afternoon. Not as excited by that prospect now as I was earlier in my lessons. I think the grind of waiting for my fucking 3rd class medical to come through is killing my enthusiasm.

Workout

Deadlift

4 @ 6 - 255
4 @ 7 - 270
3 x 4 @ 8 - 285, 285, 275

Need to remember to be patient on these. All felt good but there's no need to try and rocket it off the ground. Just smooth.

Bench press, 1ct pause

4 @ 6 - 125
4 @ 7 - 135
3 x 4 @ 8 - 140, 140, 145

Meh. Really focused on new set up. Everything felt fine and it does seem to be getting easier, but still. Meh.

Squats, no belt

6 @ 7 - 175
6 @ 8 - 185
2 x 6 @ 9 - 190

Man, I really did NOT want to do these. I felt like I had already been in the gym for 1.5 hours and just wasn't feeling these squats. Got them done, though, even if 190lbs might not have been at a 9. Today, it was.

---

Clock punch. Fine deadlifts, fine bench, did not like squats today.

allPrimes

Post by allPrimes » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:54 pm

Afternoon ski session today. Nice to have the boss reschedule a call allowing me to play hooky to get some relatively fresh snow.

More ski tomorrow. Hooray!

Not training per se but a leg workout, right?

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:03 pm

I'm going to reply to your email and touch on a few topics you brought up in your log tomorrow!

allPrimes

Post by allPrimes » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:11 pm

Good sleeps recently. Although things aren't calming down at work, I'm just getting more comfortable with them. Also, it was the weekend, so there's that. Ate kind of like junk this weekend. Kind of because I had some cake Saturday night. I like cake. Again, I was thinking that the ridge hike yesterday was going to interfere with my squats today but nope. Things seemed just fine and the hike was a non-issue. Maybe I'm in better shape than I thought I am?

Workout

Squat with belt

1 @ 8 - 265lbs
3 x 4 @ 8 - 245 for all three sets

Wow. Stunned at that first rep. This is 10lbs more than my previous personal best and this single rep at 265 didn't feel anything close to a max. Pretty neat to say my squat max is somewhere north of 265. Who knew that working on strength actually helped you push more weight around?

3ct pause bench

4 @ 7 - 130lbs
4 @ 8 - 135
3 x 4 @ 9 - 145

Still focusing on set up but it's getting easier. I feel like staying tight getting the bar out of the rack is challenging, especially considering I'm trying to "push back." Regardless, when the bar is out of the rack, I'm feeling better at pinching my shoulders and really activating my lats.

2ct pause DL 1" off the ground

4 @ 7 - 210
4 @ 8 - 220
2 x 4 @ 9 - 230, 240

Holy smokes do these toast me. So much harder than a belted DL. I just feel wiped out after every set. Something I noticed today, though, was that if I'm just patient, pushing the floor away and not trying to rocket things up, my lower back is much less fatigued. MUCH less fatigued. It's almost as though doing it right means something...

---

I'm pretty impressed. I haven't done any dedicated strength training since last summer and that was a 5/3/1 shoehorned into CrossFit programming. Here, with The Bridge, at the beginning of week 6, my squat has surpassed my previous back squat PR. I think that's pretty cool. To be honest, this might still be "no0b gainz" still but I don't care. I feel great, my weight hasn't changed in a few months (and I'm cool with that) and I'm pushing more weight around.

Works for me!

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:16 am

Gainz are gainz.

allPrimes

Post by allPrimes » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:33 am

JohnHelton wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:16 am Gainz are gainz.
TROOF.

2021-01-26

Sleeping well. Eating well. Working stress. Actually told my boss yesterday that I was having serious imposter syndrome (he does too) and was terrified that the things I'm working on are going to fail miserably and I'll be found out a fraud. Meh. He's a good boss. He understood. Hopefully I don't get fired for being honest. I don't think I will!

Workout

Pin squats

3 @ 7 - 185
3 @ 8 - 195
3x3 @ 8 - 205

Man. These are hard. This is also only the second time I've done pin squats. Driving off the pins. Staying tight. Challenging. NOT as hard as paused deadlifts, though!

Press

1 @ 8 - 135
4x4 @ 8 - 130, 125, 120, 120

Shoulders still feeling a bit weird (weeks later!) but getting better. Not really sure if 135 was an @8 but I'm treating it as such for the sake of, well, shoulders.

Barbell rows

6 @ 6 - 95
6 @ 7 - 105
4x6 @ 8 = 115, 115, 110, 105

Better. Videoed myself to see how much body english I put into the rows and am feeling good that there's not much there. Lower back didn't feel as fatigued as it has in the past. A good thing.

---

Another clock punch, but feeling better about a lot of things. Eating and sleeping still on point and hopefully have reduced a bit of stress by spewing on my boss some of how I'm feeling, but all in all, things are okay outside the gym.

allPrimes

Post by allPrimes » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:41 am

Light day according to The Bridge.

Workout

3pt DB rows

7 min AMRAP rows

Skull crushers

5x12 @ 50

Focused on keeping my elbows from flaring. Success. Triceps 'sploding.

Isometric ab stuff

7 min AMRAP of deadbugs

Getting easier.

30 min walk on Treadmill

30 mins at 3.5 mph and 3% incline.

Still not quite sure how to do a @6 RPE walk.

---

Words.

allPrimes

Post by allPrimes » Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:59 am

2021-01-28

Sleeping and eating on point. After telling my boss on Monday that I'm terrified things are failing, I started reigning some shit back in. I'm not waking up 30 minutes before the alarm anymore. Good things. Still feeling good. Right shoulder is a bit wonky, left much less so than it had been, but all in all, feeling pretty damn good.

Workout

Deadlift w/ belt

1@8 - 325
3x4@8 - 305 for all three

Well. This is cool. A deadlift PR for me. Last PR was sometime in 2018 (I think?) and I haven't even come close to attempting to lift anything heavy in some time. Today I shot through that PR to 325 without much fanfare. It felt good and like my new squat PR from Sunday, didn't feel like it was close to a max. Neato.

If you pay attention to nothing else in this video, watch my left thumb. It's twerking just before the lift.

Bench, 1ct pause

1@8 - 175
4x4@8 - 155, 155, 145, 145

Still not 100% that I'm doing this right. I find myself losing tightness when pulling the bar out of the rack. Once in position, I feel nice and tight the way I think I should be feeling, but that initial removal is wonky. I blame the equipment. Regardless, I feel good about the position in my bench now and feel like I have a good base from which to press. Hooray!

Squat, no belt

6@6 - 175
6@7 - 185
4x6@8 - 195, x, x, x

Yeah, no. These squats after deadlifting just fucking toast me. Didn't help that I had a rager of a headache going into this lift. I felt good about the three sets that I did but more? Fuck. It was everything I could do to even drag myself into a rack to get these done.

---

One week, and two new PRs? I'll take it! Pretty neat for a fatty to spend a few weeks under a barbell again, sleeping well, eating well, and trying to handle work stress to see some old PRs fall pretty easily. Thanks to some good form tweaking/wholesale changes from @Testiclaw it almost makes the squats and deadlifts easy. It's weird man. I haven't lifted heavy in such a long time and I'm remembering why I've missed it. It's fun. It's a good way for me to work on myself and fuck all knows that I need more of that in my life!

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:19 am

Working on myself is why I do this. Helps everything. Just keep it up and you will continue to get stronger.

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw » Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:28 pm

Shallow J-hooks and rolling the bar to the edge of the J-hook is key for a good lift-off. You want as little movement as possible;

I'm glad the squats and pulls feel good! The 325 looked crisp!

You'll gradually build the tolerance and work capacity to squat well after pulling, but it takes time.

You're on the right path, now.