monolifts

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

oldguy

monolifts

Post by oldguy » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:07 am

I am getting better at buying stuff then actually working out but am hoping that changes soon. Toward that end, is monolift worth having ? I have rep fitness -4000 power rack - was thinking of adding and they are in stock - just wanted some opinions ( "save your money" or "love em"?) .

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Re: monolifts

Post by mgil » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:15 am

oldguy wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:07 am I am getting better at buying stuff then actually working out but am hoping that changes soon. Toward that end, is monolift worth having ? I have rep fitness -4000 power rack - was thinking of adding and they are in stock - just wanted some opinions ( "save your money" or "love em"?) .
Some peeps that I know have them...

@SeanHerbison

@Cody

@murphyreedus (iirc)

I know Cody likes his and that Sean uses his often. I’m sure there are others here that have them, but I can’t recall at the moment.

I’d like to pick up a set for benching, but it’s way down on my priority list.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:18 am

The Rep monolifts have not been reviewed favorably. I'd personally avoid them until they put out a v2.

As for whether monolift attachments in general are worth it, I say yes, but I have the crème de la crème Mech6 monolifts. They have excellent clearance (which is adjustable), a rubber back stop, allow for 1" spacing adjustments, and use different counterweights that allow me to do stuff like overhead press off them without taking 5 steps back. I stopped using mine for squats and haven't really missed them for that (was doing a walkout anyway), but using them for bench was worth it. I also have some cheap Titan ones that work fine other than being the dumb hockey stick counterweight design that everyone but Mech6 seems to use.

oldguy

Post by oldguy » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:32 am

murphyreedus wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:18 am The Rep monolifts have not been reviewed favorably. I'd personally avoid them until they put out a v2.

As for whether monolift attachments in general are worth it, I say yes, but I have the crème de la crème Mech6 monolifts. They have excellent clearance (which is adjustable), a rubber back stop, allow for 1" spacing adjustments, and use different counterweights that allow me to do stuff like overhead press off them without taking 5 steps back. I stopped using mine for squats and haven't really missed them for that (was doing a walkout anyway), but using them for bench was worth it. I also have some cheap Titan ones that work fine other than being the dumb hockey stick counterweight design that everyone but Mech6 seems to use.

thanks for this. I will wait.

SeanHerbison
Zercher Pro

Post by SeanHerbison » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:24 am

mgil wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:15 amSome peeps that I know have them...
I know Cody likes his and that Sean uses his often.
I only use mine for benching, but I love them there. I didn't think they were essential, so I didn't get them at first when I bought my rack, but a couple years later instead. I wish I'd gotten them right away.

oldguy

Post by oldguy » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:43 am

SeanHerbison wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:24 am
mgil wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:15 amSome peeps that I know have them...
I know Cody likes his and that Sean uses his often.
I only use mine for benching, but I love them there. I didn't think they were essential, so I didn't get them at first when I bought my rack, but a couple years later instead. I wish I'd gotten them right away.
What kind do you have ?

bobmen10000

Post by bobmen10000 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:45 am

I purchased them 3 separate times from Titan Fitness, returned them a couple times mostly due to not being comfortable setting up. Third time's a charm as it makes benching so much more comfortable. Do not like them for squatting but I haven't given them a lot of use in that matter either.

There is a definitely an adjustment period when benching but after a few sessions it became second nature Having a pseudo-hand off on every bench is probably the most useful/convenience thing when lifting alone, that and a full deadlift jack.

One other notable issue: if you do lift with other people or wish to use the monolifts at multiple rack heights, the Titan & Rogue (and it looks like the Rep even more so) are a bit unwieldy to move, especially if you have a 24" depth rack.

SeanHerbison
Zercher Pro

Post by SeanHerbison » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:22 am

oldguy wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:43 amWhat kind do you have ?
Rogue. I was using them today anyway, so here you go:

bobmen10000 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:45 amThere is a definitely an adjustment period when benching but after a few sessions it became second nature Having a pseudo-hand off on every bench is probably the most useful/convenience thing when lifting alone
Maybe I'm an outlier, but assuming I'm recalling correctly, I immediately liked mine. No real adjustment period.

Oh yeah, and here's how I unracked them before, since I dislike the normal way of unracking incline bench:

Cleverusername

Post by Cleverusername » Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:51 pm

I've got the Rogue monos, they’re awesome for bench and bench variations.
I can’t use them for squats or squat variation, my bar path is too unpredictable and I run into the hooks all the time.
That’s ok though, I bought them for benching. If they worked for squats it would just be a bonus feature to me.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:08 pm

SeanHerbison wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:22 am Oh yeah, and here's how I unracked them before, since I dislike the normal way of unracking incline bench:
Did you try zerchering the weight up and then racking it into incline position off the bounce?

brkriete

Post by brkriete » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:30 pm

murphyreedus wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:18 am The Rep monolifts have not been reviewed favorably. I'd personally avoid them until they put out a v2.

Thanks for linking this - nice to see someone who says "hey this doesn't work and here's why" instead of just blowing smoke up the manufacturer's ass.

oldguy

Post by oldguy » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:15 am

Thanks all. After reading posts and review, I ended up ordering the Rep Ones after all. A) because I need another toy B) not getting them for squatting ( don’t really squat and when I do , can walk out my measly weights) C) seem to be good for bench/incline and that’s what I will use them for. Thanks for input.

SeanHerbison
Zercher Pro

Post by SeanHerbison » Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:56 pm

murphyreedus wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:08 pmDid you try zerchering the weight up and then racking it into incline position off the bounce?
I knew I was missing an option somewhere...

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw » Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:29 am

I have the Edge Fitness hooks...solid piece of metal, low profile, and have a few different holes to fit snugly in most racks (I've used them on Rogue, EFS, and New York BB racks without issue).

https://edgefitnesssystems.com/products/monolift

bobmen10000

Post by bobmen10000 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:57 pm

Testiclaw wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:29 am I have the Edge Fitness hooks...solid piece of metal, low profile, and have a few different holes to fit snugly in most racks (I've used them on Rogue, EFS, and New York BB racks without issue).

Does the lack of uhmw eat into your knurling? If so, does it really matter? It is the one negative I have read/seen from reviews on Rick's monolifts.

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:00 pm

bobmen10000 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:57 pm
Testiclaw wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:29 am I have the Edge Fitness hooks...solid piece of metal, low profile, and have a few different holes to fit snugly in most racks (I've used them on Rogue, EFS, and New York BB racks without issue).

Does the lack of umhw eat into your knurling?
It could, potentially.

I use a Buffalo bar in it a few times a year...all the other use is for SSB and GCB so it isn't an issue.

I could see wrapping the hooks in something (plastic or otherwise), though, if I was able to use a straight bar.

We have weightlifting bars we don't allow in racks for that reason.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:24 am

Rubber cement and a piece cut off of a plastic cutting borad usually works pretty well to pad hooks and such for racks and monolifts.

oldguy

Post by oldguy » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:33 pm

They may not be the best and may not help my bench but they really look sweeeet.

hector

Post by hector » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:50 pm

oldguy wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:33 pm They may not be the best and may not help my bench but they really look sweeeet.

They are beautiful!

How do you like benching with them so far?

Skander

Post by Skander » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:41 pm

Necroing this thread for good reason- these look glorious, but cost literally more than I paid for my entire rack: