Weakling Wilks

Powerlifting, Olympic Weightlifting, Strongman, Highland Games

Moderator: Manveer

PuliMorgan

Weakling Wilks

Post by PuliMorgan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:38 am

Hi all, how long does it typically take one to reach a Wilks score of 300?

I started out my post COVID training at an estimated Wilks of 200. 5 months and 7 kilograms later, I am at a measured Wilks of 251. But progress has become slow and I am wondering if I would ever reach 300.

Edit: I am male, a couple of months shy of 40 years, 5'5" short. I weigh 70 kgs as on date. I am rerunning BBM Bridge 1.0.

gymdad150

Re: Weakling Wilks

Post by gymdad150 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:10 am

All sorts of ways to answer this, but I think the distillate is this: it takes a long as it takes.

How motivated are you? How much time can you devote to training? How close are you to your genetic potential?

It taken me years, and I'm motivated, I've been very consistent with my training, and I am not a physical specimen.

Some would ask: Why is a 300 Wilks important?

It's an arbitrary number.

Train, enjoy the process, let the numbers come to you. You're competing with no one but yourself, so just try to be a better version of yourself each time you get under the bar.

bobmen10000

Post by bobmen10000 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:11 am

It is all arbitrary really in terms of goals, be it Wilks, big three total or how good you look in tighty whities; however, having a goal will help with adherence, just don't fall into the trap of comparing yourself to other people, especially elite lifters. Truthfully - and I am bad about not look at weight training in this light - the best goal is continued good health and happiness and how both are increased by weight training. Nevertheless, setting short term goals, like shooting for a 275 wilks, or just a 1rm pr in a random lift is a good start as you continue shooting for your 300 wilks. Short term and intermediate goals/scores - I tend to think of this as one big game where I am trying for the high score/goal total - will keep you sane and happy while you pursue the long term goal(s).

PuliMorgan

Post by PuliMorgan » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:49 am

gymdad150 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:10 am
How motivated are you? How much time can you devote to training? How close are you to your genetic potential?
1. Motivated enough to set up a complete home gym by preparing the autocad drawings and getting it fabricated at a local workshop during the COVID lockdown ( Motivated enough to learn whatever I can get about strength training. Motivated and sensible enough to read everything I could to understand the strengths and limitations of Starting Strength approach. Motivated enough to spend money on the overpriced BBM Strength Template (which I would begin after Bridge). So, yes, I am motivated enough.

2. I have missed only three workouts since July - I missed them only due to an unavoidable work related situation. So, yes, I can devote 6 to 9 hours every week to reach my goals.

3. I have no clue about how close I am to my potential. Hence the question.

gymdad150 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:10 am

Some would ask: Why is a 300 Wilks important?

It's an arbitrary number.
I wanted some goal to work towards. 250 seemed too easy and 300 looked like a reachable intermediate target (Solid Beginner, as per Wilks Norms) - 1000 pounds SBD, in contrast, seemed too difficult.

Yes, it is just an arbitrary number.

bobmen10000 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:11 am It is all arbitrary really in terms of goals, be it Wilks, big three total or how good you look in tighty whities; however, having a goal will help with adherence, just don't fall into the trap of comparing yourself to other people, especially elite lifters. Truthfully - and I am bad about not look at weight training in this light - the best goal is continued good health and happiness and how both are increased by weight training. Nevertheless, setting short term goals, like shooting for a 275 wilks, or just a 1rm pr in a random lift is a good start as you continue shooting for your 300 wilks. Short term and intermediate goals/scores - I tend to think of this as one big game where I am trying for the high score/goal total - will keep you sane and happy while you pursue the long term goal(s).
Thank you. I guess I should do alright by keeping 275 as an intermediate target and 300 as a long term goal.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:06 am

@PuliMorgan, first and foremost, the Wilks Coefficient will be biased against lighter lifters, such as yourself.

As others have already stated, it's an arbitrary number and doesn't mean as much provided you are happy with continued progress.

How are other aspects of your health? Are you able to run 5km in a decent time (<30 minutes)? These are just as important.

PuliMorgan

Post by PuliMorgan » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:06 pm

mgil wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:06 am @PuliMorgan, first and foremost, the Wilks Coefficient will be biased against lighter lifters, such as yourself.

As others have already stated, it's an arbitrary number and doesn't mean as much provided you are happy with continued progress.

How are other aspects of your health? Are you able to run 5km in a decent time (<30 minutes)? These are just as important.
Got it. It is just that I thought having a goal helps.

And yes, I can run 5 k in 30 minutes. I do 3 to 3.5 k in 20 minutes on my BBM Bridge 1.0 GPP day. Also, I used to be a skinny runner before I was fascinated by the barbell. So no trouble on the cardio front.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:54 pm

@PuliMorgan, sounds like you’re in great health and well balanced. Gains will come slowly, but steady with good consistency.

PuliMorgan

Post by PuliMorgan » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:05 am

Thank you @m@mgil .

I will update on my progress in this space. Next stop 260 Wilks. Just for the heck of it.

FredM

Post by FredM » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:53 am

PuliMorgan wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:38 am Hi all, how long does it typically take one to reach a Wilks score of 300?

I started out my post COVID training at an estimated Wilks of 200. 5 months and 7 kilograms later, I am at a measured Wilks of 251. But progress has become slow and I am wondering if I would ever reach 300.

Edit: I am male, a couple of months shy of 40 years, 5'5" short. I weigh 70 kgs as on date. I am rerunning BBM Bridge 1.0.
1-2 years according to the website. It took me 2. Another year later I’m at 326. It’ll probably take me 1-2 more years to hit 350.

Other than squat (above average) I’m pretty average.

I spend 3.5-4.5 hours lifting a week. 6-9 would probably be pretty counter productive for me because I have a day job and kids with day job and kids stress and sleep levels.

Not a huge fan of bbm templates either (have 4)