Moderator: Chebass88

Hardartery

Re: Hardartery - Recreational Outrage

Post by Hardartery » Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:02 pm

platypus wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:25 am
Hardartery wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:40 pm Standing Military Press - DB
40 x 10
45 x 10 x 2 sets

It seems I have a lost a little bit from the unscheduled break (And probably affected by the weight loss, maybe) but not as bad as I was fearing. The DB MP is the new tool to go after the weak point. My left shoulder is still problematic so DB's are particularly challenging these days. It is humbling to be using this weight, but you have to start somewhere.
What you find humbling shows how strong you you've gotten.

It can get a lot more humbling - after I tore my supraspinatus tendon, I had to start pressing again with the 10s. I'd be in obvious pain, grimacing my way through a set with little blue ladies' dumbbells and getting sidelong glances from other gymgoers.
LOL. I am comparing myself to myself. I remember doing Standing MP with 100's for 10 or more and not really feeling it but that was the biggest thing in the gym I was going to. I switched to a bar from the rack from there, but it sucks to no longer be able to really position the DB correctly with the left arm. I end up leaning back gradually over the set to accommodate the lack of shoulder mobility as it tires. Such is life. I knew there would be things about getting old I just didn't know what they would be.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:53 pm

Monday 12/4/23
JM Press - straight bar
135 x 8 x 4 sets

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:37 pm

Tuesday 12/5/23

Squats
225 x 5
315 x 3
405 x 3
495 x 1 x 2 sets
475 x 3

Good Mornings
405 x 3 x 2 sets
315 x 5

Clean Grip Walkout
315 - felt more like 3 thousand
225 + strict press to make myself feel better

Seated Leg Extensions - Atlantis machine
180 x 15, 11

Disappointed here. 315 literally felt like nothing today but 495 was a grind, which makes no sense. I thought I was going to blow it up for a triple but instead it suddenly got real heavy. Whatever, my own fault for taking a few weeks off and then getting Montezuma's Revenge immediately afterward. The 315 Good Mornings were more useful than the 405's I think, I really felt like I got as much depth as is reasonable and really felt it through the hamstrings. This is why the SSB is something that I need in my life here, no worries about the bar rolling onto your neck (Which hurts and sucks) thus greater overload in the movement. I only did the press because the 315 felt so heavy and I needed a positive to finish - no warmup strict felt good, even if it is a weight that shouldn't count as more than a warmup. It would be cool if my OH managed to not suck for a couple of minutes before I die. Other positive, whatever a leg extension does or does not accomplish it is really cool to see striations and stuff in your quads while doing a movement and these let me do that. As fat as I am I can still do that.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:15 pm

I should add here, when I make disparaging comments about my lift numbers, it is not meant as some sort of flex/douchebag gesture, it is purely for my personal motivation. I know what I have done in the past, and I know what is acceptable at the level I have chosen to aspire to, and no one within at least two countries of where I am is going to push me at all. It is best to be a little fish in a big pond, but I cannot be the smallest, weakest guy in the gym because of where I am so I have to create that somehow to push myself. I have nothing but respect and encouragement for everyone else at whatever level they are or seek to be, and don't want to be coming off as a dick while I use psychology on myself. It's hard to remember you aren't a massive freak in the global perspective when the entire gym stops to watch you lift every single time and openly try to do the plate math for what you are doing.

DCR

Post by DCR » Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:04 pm

Hardartery wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:15 pmI have nothing but respect and encouragement for everyone else at whatever level they are or seek to be
You’ve demonstrated this many times, and I and I’m sure others have greatly appreciated it. I find your numbers inspiring and your disparagement of them to be relatable, just at a higher level.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:14 am

DCR wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:04 pm
Hardartery wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:15 pmI have nothing but respect and encouragement for everyone else at whatever level they are or seek to be
You’ve demonstrated this many times, and I and I’m sure others have greatly appreciated it. I find your numbers inspiring and your disparagement of them to be relatable, just at a higher level.
Took the words out of my mouth.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:52 pm

Friday 12/8/23
Muscle Snatch to Strict Press Away
135 x 5
185 x 5
Muscle Clean to Strict Press Away
185 x 4, 5, 4

Saturday 12/9/23
Muscle Clean to Strict Press Away
185 x 5 x 2 sets

Went to the gym Friday only to discover it was closed for some sort of Catholic holiday or another. Latin countries and bizarro surprise holidays. Sooooo, got a haircut (They were open) and came home. Just kind of made this fit around other stuff I was doing. Nit pleased with it really, but it's work. I changed to Clean from Snatch because I missed the snatch on the second run with 185. Just that simple. I was pulling from the 4" blocks, which probably matters, and I had narrowed my grip to what is likely press width for most Logs. So, there's the list of excuses, leaving out the part about me not having the power I should with that weight on the clean portion and the obvious need to do these more often because I hate them.

Culican

Post by Culican » Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:15 am

I wondered why my (latino) neighbors across the street were all off work on Friday and I live in the US. After reading your post, I remembered that in my youth, as a good Catholic boy attending Catholic school, we had the day off. December 8 is the "Feast of the Immaculate Conception."

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:13 am

Culican wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:15 am I wondered why my (latino) neighbors across the street were all off work on Friday and I live in the US. After reading your post, I remembered that in my youth, as a good Catholic boy attending Catholic school, we had the day off. December 8 is the "Feast of the Immaculate Conception."
I was never Catholic, and just being honest I cannot seem to get a handle on when there is a holiday. The patriotic ones sprinkled in here add to my confusion. What do you mean it's a holiday? Oh, it's July 28th day, of course! How could I forget! The Catholic ones have names (I only know the Spanish words, like Purisima) and the other ones all just seem to be dates and apparently everyone just knows what the hell happened on that date. I should note, the US does have 4th if July which is essentially the same deal, but imagine about 6 of those a year and two of them are in July. Including TWO independence days.

Skid

Post by Skid » Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:21 am

MarkKO wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:14 am
I've never once taken anything you've said as douchery. It aint bragging if you do it (said someone). Not that you are bragging... :lol:

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:11 pm

Skid wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:21 am
I've never once taken anything you've said as douchery. It aint bragging if you do it (said someone). Not that you are bragging... :lol:
I just worry sometimes how I come off. In person is different, but over the interwebs things get taken the wrong way much easier, and it occurred to me that someone might take it as humble bragging or something and I am not careful sometimes to consider how a thing might sound versus how I meant it. I get taken extremely seriously at times and taken the wrong way and so I feel the need to explain myself sometimes online. Plus, I have been getting weirded out lately by people, I didn't realize how much attention was being paid to me at the gym, I thought they were just ignoring the Chele (Local for "White guy", like Gringo but actually less derisive) when apparently they are scared to talk to me. Children have zero fear of me, at all, but grown ass adults are a different story. I am seriously not THAT large, I look like a 12 year old standing next to Zavickis or a Stoltman.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:17 pm

Tuesday 12/12/23
Floor Press - close grip

135 x 10
225 x 10 x 2 sets

That's it. Still off schedule. Today should have been Squats but I dropped friends off at the airport. It's 30 minutes away and they are exiting the country permanently as of today. They should be back in Wisconsin about now, but they were flying on some sort of buddy-pass stand-by thing and I was in the airport for too long making sure they got out before I left. It put me past my window for the gym (I go when it's empty for Squats so that no one is waiting on me and I am not waiting on anyone) because I take a long time on Squat day in the rack. Hopefully tomorrow. Today just needed some kind of reps on something and the triceps always need improving.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:18 am

Hardartery wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:11 pm
I just worry sometimes how I come off. In person is different, but over the interwebs things get taken the wrong way much easier, and it occurred to me that someone might take it as humble bragging or something and I am not careful sometimes to consider how a thing might sound versus how I meant it. I get taken extremely seriously at times and taken the wrong way and so I feel the need to explain myself sometimes online. Plus, I have been getting weirded out lately by people, I didn't realize how much attention was being paid to me at the gym, I thought they were just ignoring the Chele (Local for "White guy", like Gringo but actually less derisive) when apparently they are scared to talk to me. Children have zero fear of me, at all, but grown ass adults are a different story. I am seriously not THAT large, I look like a 12 year old standing next to Zavickis or a Stoltman.
Self awareness is a massively underrated quality to have.

lheugh

Post by lheugh » Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:50 am

I could have written this verbatim. Apparently I'm talked about in my gym more than I'd like, but people are scared to approach me (so I've been told). In the almost 10 years I've been training there, I can count on one hand the amount of people that aren't wary of me. I'm pretty introverted in person and apparently being 6'7 is...intimidating. Yet, one individual who is 6'8 (and lanky) people are not afraid to talk to. It's an interesting paradigm.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:06 am

lheugh wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:50 am
I could have written this verbatim. Apparently I'm talked about in my gym more than I'd like, but people are scared to approach me (so I've been told). In the almost 10 years I've been training there, I can count on one hand the amount of people that aren't wary of me. I'm pretty introverted in person and apparently being 6'7 is...intimidating. Yet, one individual who is 6'8 (and lanky) people are not afraid to talk to. It's an interesting paradigm.
It is a weird thing. I certainly don't think of myself as scary, I have occasionally offered advice to people and they seem to actually appreciate it, the owners grand-daughter tries to hang out with me while I'm lifting when she's there (She is around 2 years old, maybe 3), I expected that would make it obvious I'm a friendly guy. People are weird sometimes and I don't always pay much attention. Side note, the current Miss Universe cannot return to her home country over political issues and fear of government actions against her. The husband and son of her handler are currently in jail for "Treason". I don't know how much that kind of stuff plays into the day-to-day attitudes of locals. They also kicked out the Jesuits and the order of nuns that Mother Theresa founded and seized all of their property. This includes one of if not the largest university in the country.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:16 pm

Today, mistakes were made.

Wednesday 12/13/23
Squats
225 x 5
315 x 5
405 x 3
495 x 1 - missed the second rep
475 x 1 x 2 sets

Clean Grip Walkout and strict Push
315 x 2
It went a lot higher on the second push, but my legs were like oatmeal. I had signs of crashing calcium after the missed rep but chose to keep going - re: opening line of post

GM
315 x 5
Very, very deep reps, felt decent. However, it became very apparent that I did indeed have crashed calcium. After I racked the bar my forearms erupted so I called it there and stripped the bar as fast as I could manage. Like a dummy I had no calcium with me, so I needed to get it in gear and get home while I could. I was walking like I have a neurological disability by the time i got out of the truck in front of the house, and frankly I was concerned about making it to the door. So, my mistake. I did not eat before the gym and did not take some calcium before I left. I also didn't take any with me, and I should honestly have a few pills in my gym bag just in case.

Other note, I am was pitching forward a bit on the squats today which could be the weight loss (Read that as BELLY loss, it is actually coming off of there), it could be the tanked calcium causing misfires. Don't know. I am waiting on the rather massive dose of calcium I took to kick in as I type this, and I'll link the video with the miss. The first single with 475 happened as fast as stripping, re-racking the bar and re-loading took. No rest apart from that activity. And it felt like a house.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:59 pm

Hardartery wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:16 pm Today, mistakes were made.

Wednesday 12/13/23
Squats
225 x 5
315 x 5
405 x 3
495 x 1 - missed the second rep
475 x 1 x 2 sets

Clean Grip Walkout and strict Push
315 x 2
It went a lot higher on the second push, but my legs were like oatmeal. I had signs of crashing calcium after the missed rep but chose to keep going - re: opening line of post

GM
315 x 5
Very, very deep reps, felt decent. However, it became very apparent that I did indeed have crashed calcium. After I racked the bar my forearms erupted so I called it there and stripped the bar as fast as I could manage. Like a dummy I had no calcium with me, so I needed to get it in gear and get home while I could. I was walking like I have a neurological disability by the time i got out of the truck in front of the house, and frankly I was concerned about making it to the door. So, my mistake. I did not eat before the gym and did not take some calcium before I left. I also didn't take any with me, and I should honestly have a few pills in my gym bag just in case.

Other note, I am was pitching forward a bit on the squats today which could be the weight loss (Read that as BELLY loss, it is actually coming off of there), it could be the tanked calcium causing misfires. Don't know. I am waiting on the rather massive dose of calcium I took to kick in as I type this, and I'll link the video with the miss. The first single with 475 happened as fast as stripping, re-racking the bar and re-loading took. No rest apart from that activity. And it felt like a house.

I always notice a similar issue with squats if my waist reduces noticeably.

Skid

Post by Skid » Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:56 pm

What does calcium do? I've never heard of this.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:18 am

Skid wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:56 pm What does calcium do? I've never heard of this.
Calcium is the main mineral involved in cell contraction and ATP. Because I had to have my parathyroid glands removed (Except for half of one of them) I have gone from hypercalcemic to constant borderline hypocalcemia. I get exercise induced hypocalcemia, which usually is just pins and needles in my chin but if it is bad I also get them in the forearms and if it is REALLY low I get the pins and needles at the tip of my nose and my forehead. Typically I have dropped appreciably below 8.0 when the forearms light up. If it isn't dealt with immediately muscles stop contracting correctly or even altogether. I have calcium powder in the house and keep several bottles of pills around for travel, if I don't get on top of it I will end up in the hospital to receive it via IV. It is something that can actually kill me if left alone, you can stop breathing or your heart can stop beating in some cases if you ignore the warnings. Not an issue for most people with normal biology.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:43 pm

Thursday 12/14/23

Incline Bench
135 x 5
225 x 5
295 x 2 x 2
295 x 1
245 x 5 - paused reps

OHP - strict, from rack
135 x 5
205 x 1
205 x 2 x 2 sets

Lateral Raises
85 x 5 x 4 sets

Called it there. I went a little late and it was starting to fill up, there is a trainer there that was busy stealing all of the DB's under 40 lbs to set up for some group that apparently comes in and lifts together late afternoon on Thursday. My lower back didn't like pressing today, I am fairly certain my core has become a weak link with the fat loss because the reps really felt fine but stuff in the lower body was getting bitchy.