Post by Hardartery » Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:27 pm

Friday 12/23/22
Squats
135 x 3
225 x 3
315 x 3
405 x 2 x 2 sets
315 x 7
My hips did not want to cooperate, so I stayed low in weight and didn't push anything. I'm shifting to one side, and then when I conciously try to correct it I end up shifted the other way. I have no particular goals or axe to grind with squats atm, so I'll just try and feel it out around this level until things settle down. Then I'll let the ego kick in a little and start pushing the weights up.

Seated Leg Extension
2 plates x 10
3 plates x 10
4 plates x 10
5 plates x 10
6 plates x 10

I had planned to do more, but the legs were fried and I still had to walk home. Somebody stole the selector hub off of one of my front wheels, so there's a temporary PVC dust cover zip tyed over the assembly and I am trying to not drive unnecessarily. I have a replacement coming from the US at the end of January. The dealership here wants $1000 USD and it would take 30-60 days to arrive, minimum. they usually take longer than the estimate. It was $95 on Ebay, brand new, in the box, tax and delivery. It will be at my buddies house in two weeks or less and he is flying in at the end of January. A friend here locally is making a cage for each front hub so this doesn't happen again. It's got 6 Allen head bolts holding it on and yet I'm going to have to theft proof it.

MarkKO

Re: Hardartery -Recreational Outrage

Post by MarkKO » Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:53 pm

Hardartery wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:27 pm Friday 12/23/22
Squats
135 x 3
225 x 3
315 x 3
405 x 2 x 2 sets
315 x 7
My hips did not want to cooperate, so I stayed low in weight and didn't push anything. I'm shifting to one side, and then when I conciously try to correct it I end up shifted the other way. I have no particular goals or axe to grind with squats atm, so I'll just try and feel it out around this level until things settle down. Then I'll let the ego kick in a little and start pushing the weights up.

Seated Leg Extension
2 plates x 10
3 plates x 10
4 plates x 10
5 plates x 10
6 plates x 10

I had planned to do more, but the legs were fried and I still had to walk home. Somebody stole the selector hub off of one of my front wheels, so there's a temporary PVC dust cover zip tyed over the assembly and I am trying to not drive unnecessarily. I have a replacement coming from the US at the end of January. The dealership here wants $1000 USD and it would take 30-60 days to arrive, minimum. they usually take longer than the estimate. It was $95 on Ebay, brand new, in the box, tax and delivery. It will be at my buddies house in two weeks or less and he is flying in at the end of January. A friend here locally is making a cage for each front hub so this doesn't happen again. It's got 6 Allen head bolts holding it on and yet I'm going to have to theft proof it.
The thieves in your area got some work ethic.

Skid

Post by Skid » Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:21 pm

Petty thievery shit like that pisses me off. My brother and I stopped off in a pub for a steak sandwich and a couple beers years ago. Came out and someone had stolen the fake spinner center caps off my Corvette. Looking back they probably did me a favor... Definitely not as bad as someone stealing the hubs off a 4x4. Where the heck do you live that takes so long to get parts at such prices?

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:02 am

Skid wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:21 pm Petty thievery shit like that pisses me off. My brother and I stopped off in a pub for a steak sandwich and a couple beers years ago. Came out and someone had stolen the fake spinner center caps off my Corvette. Looking back they probably did me a favor... Definitely not as bad as someone stealing the hubs off a 4x4. Where the heck do you live that takes so long to get parts at such prices?
Central America. I don't ever post the particular country name because they look for mentions online and it can cause problems for me if they decide i am saying something negative about the place. Which only matters because it interferes with my volunteer work if I get kicked out of the country. The main holdup on parts is customs, someone is usually either unmotivated to do their job or looking for a bribe to let things pass in a timely manner. The part is probably either for sale in the open air market or someone needed one so it was intentionally stolen for a specific customer and is already installed on that vehicle. The normal salary here is a hair over $200 USD a month, with many making less than that and some making substantially more. But most people are trying to get by and less than enough money - and a car is considered a luxury and unobtanium for many.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:50 pm

Hardartery wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:27 pmI'm shifting to one side, and then when I conciously try to correct it I end up shifted the other way. I have no particular goals or axe to grind with squats atm, so I'll just try and feel it out around this level until things settle down.
Just curious...

What's your plan of attack to alleviate this?

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:33 pm

Renascent wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:50 pm
Hardartery wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:27 pmI'm shifting to one side, and then when I conciously try to correct it I end up shifted the other way. I have no particular goals or axe to grind with squats atm, so I'll just try and feel it out around this level until things settle down.
Just curious...

What's your plan of attack to alleviate this?
ATM, my plan is more squats and not going above 405 until it stops happening. It's a new thing. I started squatting at 27, and have never had this issue previously. And yes, I said it, I didn't start squatting until 27. I did bro stuff and a lot of upper body before that and didn't really know what Powerlifting was. I also did not know that WSM was a TV show, I was only aware of it as a competition that my Dad's cousin had gone to, we lived in the sticks. There was no cable to get, and in fact there may still not be cable TV available at my parent's house. I didn't know WSM was a TV show until I was 20, and the forums online are where I found out about PL and serious lifting. It helped to stumble onto the Strngth List when it was starting up, where guys like Lyle MacDonald and other now "Famous" guys were posting before they were anybody. Mel Siff joined later in it's existence because of the actually good discussion on there and was a rank and file member.
This hip thing is new, and I hope it simply works itself out now that I am squatting regularly again (Fingers crossed). If not, I guess I'll start some single leg stuff in the Smith Machine as accessory work or something.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:39 pm

Tuesday 12/27/22
Muscle Snatch to Press Away - strict
135 x 3
155 x 3
175 x 3
195 x 3
205 x 3
This was not an increase in weight or reps (I think, didn't look), but it certainly was easy this time. Great speed, no struggle at all. Fantastical. Working up to a peak set and stopping is working much better for these than trying to pump a volume session with a bunch of work sets.

JM Press - EZ Curl Bar
105 x 5
195 x 5 x 2 sets
105 x 11
I really feel it hitting a lot better on this bar, the wrist angle or something really just makes it gel and I can feel the tendons pumping up across the elbows and everything firing. Magical. The ripe smell of the city sewer system began to waft gently across the landscape at this point, inspiring an end to this refreshing session. The urban equivalent of dairy air signalling the end of another fine session as I retreat indoors to await the return of city water service to signal the onset of evening.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:52 pm

Wednesday 12/28/22
Y Raises - plates
45 x 10 x 3 sets

DB Plate Curls
45 x 5

DB Curls
50 x 10 x 3 sets

DB Cross Body Curls - palms up grip - DB
50 x 10 x 3 sets

KB Hammer Curls - back and forth "Myoreps" thingie
35 x 12, 10, 5

Lying Tricep Extensions - Hammer grip - DB
50 x 10, 6 - maybe 10 breaths rest between, DB's staye din the hands
KB Cross Body Extensions - back and forth "Myorep" thingie - palms down grip
35 x 3,1

The plan was to just give Plate curls a run, but the plate popped out of the right hand at the end of the last eccentric. Just too much sweat, even if I chalked up it would have been an issue today in the heat. I was like a human waterfall today. Doing anything with a plate is somehow just so much more difficult than DB's.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:57 pm

Thursday 12/29/22
Squats
135 x 5
225 x 5
315 x 5
405 x 3 x 2 sets
315 x 5

Leg Extensions
3 plates x 15
4 plates x 10
5 plates x 10
6 plates x 10
7 plates x 8, plate fell off so 2 reps at 6 plates no stop
7 plates x 8, reached over a strip a plate no stop,
6 plates x 5

Unnamed thingie - single D handle on the adjustable height cable stack, set just below hand height while standing, facing pulley, pull straight back one arm at a time
Pin in the slot marked 27 and 60, I have no idea what the weight really is or how to know which one of those the machine was set to. The 32/70 seemed a little too heavy for useful form.
27/60 x 10 x 3 sets per arm

I had an audience on Squats, which is always weird, and somebody gave me a fist bump after the last work set. I shoot the videos without sound for a several reasons, so you can't hear it happening but I got a full all plate clang at the top and the bar bounced off the shoulders. Good speed at the top, still shifting around and weird in the hole but it's getting better. I did not realize that I had dropped a plate on the leg extension until I "Finished" the set, I wasn't looking and it wasn't loud enough to register above the terrible Latin music blasting in the gym, I had to ask fist bump guy when it fell off. He took the rack after me and was watching me do the extensions. He went over end kept the plate on for me for the last set, which was nice of him. I guess I find a bungee to take with me next time or maybe the other leg extension will be free and able to hold more plates. Dunno. I know my legs were rubbery after the extensions and walking home didn't help that. Tile floors are a bitch in socks when your legs are messed up from a session.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:57 pm

Monday 1/2/23
Deadlift - conventional
225 x 5 - DOH
315 x 3
425 x 3
515 x 3 - straps
605 x 3

Deadlift - conventional - 3" Blocks
515 x 6

Not gonna lie, I can't tell if I'm on the verge of puking or just hypocalcemic. Maybe both. I looks like I barely did anything when I write it down. Also, 515 felt like a ton and a half and that was totally in my head going into the top set. I officially have no idea what's going on anymore, the first two reps of the top set felt like feathers and the rep managed to get hard real fast part way up. I was belching stomach acid through the whole workout, probably because I took the wife out for lunch and ate carbs. I passed on the rice that came with the meal (In Central America everything comes with rice, if you ordered risotto somewhere it would come with a side of rice) but did eat the potato puree that came with my Osso Bucco. That is probably what's getting me. Dunno, this seems to happen lately when I do DL's no matter what I eat.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:51 am

Hardartery wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:57 pmUnnamed thingie - single D handle on the adjustable height cable stack, set just below hand height while standing, facing pulley, pull straight back one arm at a time
Standing Single-Arm A-Raise, I guess?

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:34 am

Renascent wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:51 am
Hardartery wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:57 pmUnnamed thingie - single D handle on the adjustable height cable stack, set just below hand height while standing, facing pulley, pull straight back one arm at a time
Standing Single-Arm A-Raise, I guess?
I'm not sure. It's similar to a behind the body raise with a barbell. but I was doing one arm at a time and the handle obviously had a ROM from just out in front of me to somewhere behind me as far as I could contract the shoulder. I was making something up on the fly because there was someone at the cable stack I use for straight arm push downs. I mostly felt it in the triceps initially even though they were locked out for the duration of the movement. I thought maybe I was getting a stretch one of the triceps heads that I don't get with my other triceps work but ut may just have been screaming about being in an isometric hold that long. I also that I may have been just faffing about, and then I saw a new vid from Ryan Humiston pop up yesterday and he was doing something really similar - he is doing a series with an electronic monitor to measure activation in different movements - and lo and behold the thing I was doing was the thing causing the most stimulation of the posterior delt of anything else he tried in the video. Shit luck gets you somewhere sometimes I guess.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:04 pm

Tuesday 1/3/23
Bench
135 x 10
225 x 5
315 x 2
315 x 1 x 2 sets
225 x 5
First set at 315 felt heavy but fine. Felt like at least one more there. Second and third sets were, well, crunchy. I don't know how else to describe it, I had more reps strength wise, but the something was crunchy in the shoulders. The right one is currently pissed off at me, I guess tomorrow could be interesting. No crunchiness with the 225 finisher.

Flyes - DB on bench
50 x 5 x 3 sets
Didn't touch the floor but it felt like I was pretty close on a lot of the reps. The shoulders seemed fine on these.

Side Raises - DB
50 x 3 warmup
65 x 6 x 3 sets

Straight Arm Pushdown - plate loaded cable stack - straight handle
180 x 7 x 2 sets
180 x 6 - positive failure, got the 6th rep but had nothing left for the eccentric
100 x 8 - toasted lats

A little later than I normally go the gym, some people were filtering in instead of me being basically alone. It was weird, I didn't know most of them and I kept catching people watching me. Granted, I look massive in the mirror at the DB rack, it's some kind of circus mirror or something. Dunno, could just be being the only large white guy in the place.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:02 pm

Thursday 1/5/23
Front Squats
135 x 5
225 x 5

Squats
225 x 5
315 x 3
405 x 4 x 2 sets
315 x 5

Leg Curl Machine
70 x 10 x 3 sets
90 x 5

Arm Curl Machine - plate loaded independent arm thingie
45/side x 6 x 4 sets

So, in my defence, I just wanted to play with the curl machine and I wanted something else to do. I am feeling limited, the right shoulder is still wonky from benching. I would like to know exactly what the "Crunchiness" was in my shoulders, if anyone has input on that. The left seems fine, the right however is still pissed off. I had trouble sleeping yesterday because of that shoulder - it was just impossible to find a comfortable position and I kept waking up. As a result I am feeling cautious around it and not just doing the stuff that I want to do. It is markedly better today so I am hoping that it is good by tomorrow.
Separate note, the Leg Curl is apparently way more necessary than Extensions for me at the moment. The hammies started cramping at rep 8 and I doubt I could do 11 reps from the full on lock down of the cramp. The Squats went way better today, I stopped at 4 reps because I didn't want to get greedy, things were firing way better.

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:32 pm

Re: Crunchy shoulders, try some dead hangs (fully relaxed, let your shoulders come up by your ears), and rotator cuff stuff - external rotations seem to be kinda magical, I use a band arm by side parallel to the ground, you could use a pulley for the same or I've seen mouse do them with his arm out to the side down at a 45 degree angle holding a plate.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:14 pm

Hardartery wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:02 pmI would like to know exactly what the "Crunchiness" was in my shoulders, if anyone has input on that. The left seems fine, the right however is still pissed off.
Shooting in the dark, obviously, but I've heard it could be anything from synovial fluid, to trapped nitrogen, to muscles stretched and gliding roughly over one another.

I'm partial to the last possibility, myself.

First time a crunchy shoulder noise caught me off guard was around the same time I was dealing with what I considered to be piriformis syndrome, along with a notable hip shift. One shoulder seemed stuck in internal rotation -- much moreso than normal. I suspect it was lat-related, and the two conditions were related.

Who knows.
Separate note, the Leg Curl is apparently way more necessary than Extensions for me at the moment. The hammies started cramping at rep 8 and I doubt I could do 11 reps from the full on lock down of the cramp.
Even better when you fuck up and tense your hamstrings later that same day after a few sets of curls.

Those cramps are some shit I want no part of.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:56 pm

Renascent wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:14 pm
Hardartery wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:02 pmI would like to know exactly what the "Crunchiness" was in my shoulders, if anyone has input on that. The left seems fine, the right however is still pissed off.
Shooting in the dark, obviously, but I've heard it could be anything from synovial fluid, to trapped nitrogen, to muscles stretched and gliding roughly over one another.

I'm partial to the last possibility, myself.

First time a crunchy shoulder noise caught me off guard was around the same time I was dealing with what I considered to be piriformis syndrome, along with a notable hip shift. One shoulder seemed stuck in internal rotation -- much moreso than normal. I suspect it was lat-related, and the two conditions were related.

Who knows.
Separate note, the Leg Curl is apparently way more necessary than Extensions for me at the moment. The hammies started cramping at rep 8 and I doubt I could do 11 reps from the full on lock down of the cramp.
Even better when you fuck up and tense your hamstrings later that same day after a few sets of curls.

Those cramps are some shit I want no part of.
The cramping frankly caught me completely by surprise, and not a pleasant one. My immediate dislike makes me quite sure they are something that I need to do. The crunchiness was entirely a feeling, there was no sound that I'm aware of. It didn't happen until I hit 315 lbs, lighter weights have not produced the effect over the last few weeks. I am doubtful that it is nitrogen, I have been doing an enormous amount of stretching and mobility work for the shoulders for at least 6 months now and I know for certain that I have arthritis in both shoulders and imaging of bone spurs in the left. As it calms down, it very much feels like it is in the medial delt or the rotator cuff over there (maybe supraspinatus), but it also may have been scar tissue letting go. I have full ROM and no weakness so far, just pain and apparently some inflammation as ibuprofin reduces the pain and increase the ROM a little. It doesn't feel particularly worse than some DOMS right this minute, but I have no idea what happens next time I stress it. I'm currently nervous of all pressing and most triceps work, but I'll likely find out tomorrow where I'm at. Maybe just a thing that freaks me out and then disappears.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:59 pm

cgeorg wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:32 pm Re: Crunchy shoulders, try some dead hangs (fully relaxed, let your shoulders come up by your ears), and rotator cuff stuff - external rotations seem to be kinda magical, I use a band arm by side parallel to the ground, you could use a pulley for the same or I've seen mouse do them with his arm out to the side down at a 45 degree angle holding a plate.
I've been doing a ton of work with bands and stretching as prescribed by a PT for more than 6 months now, and have historically done a lot of rotator cuff preventative work without issue. It's a very specific plane of motion that is affected and I am drawing a blank as to how it is related to benching to be honest. If I'd popped somethin doing side raises it would make sense, but I didn't so it's confusing.

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:01 am

Sounds like you know more than me in this area - I'll be following along to see what you find out.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:10 am

cgeorg wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:01 am Sounds like you know more than me in this area - I'll be following along to see what you find out.
Not sure how much I know, I was hoping someone else would have experience with this and see the post. I unfortunately have some issues from a long term health issue that I was not even aware of until the end of 2017. Arthritis and bone spurs are just part of my life as a result, but I seem to have avoided the worst bits of atheroschlerosis and kidney failure so far. Really, bitching about arthritis pain in the shoulder at 50 seems petty, but every time I get a new weird thing I get nervous. Getting old is an experience.